"Off The Wall" Album Discussion

Prince Of Pop

Proud Member
I just finished listening to this wonderful album. So I'd thought I'd start up a discussion on Michael's debut adult solo album.

What's your favorite songs from it. What does it mean to you?

Mmm, it's all about Get On The Floor. I just think the line "Gonna move, gonna groove you, gonna say things to you, just wait and see!" is characteristic of Mike's subtle sexuality. Unlike other pop legends, Michael Jackson never needed to be raunchy to be sexy. I'm looking at you, Prince.

Plus, I'd have let Mike "say things to me" any time. Mmm, that man!

The Off The Wall album is my favorite Michael Jackson album. It seems like there are many fans who don't appreciate this album as much as Thriller and the following albums afterward. This was the album that launched MJ's adult solo career that eventually led him to the HUGE success of Thriller, BAD, Dangerous, and so on. Off The Wall was a powerful and very successful album for MJ.

Off The Wall is my favorite album because it is an overall feel good album. I love the fact that he was 20 years old when he recorded this album. I love that he wanted to have his own distinct sound away from the sounds of The Jacksons. He didn't have the pressures of following up a huge album. He was very young and he took chances. He had a lot to prove as a real solo artist and he knew what he wanted and how to get it. That's one of the things I love about this album. It is very inspiring to me. I love the excitement and maturity of MJ's voice on this album. He exuded every emotion into this album. This album is truly a classic dance album! My favorite song from Off The Wall is Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough! I love the feel of it's funky groove. It just flows and you don't wanna stop dancing to it. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough definitely lives up to it's name.

Last edited:
Is fast becoming my favorite MJ album. I'm obsessed with Get on the floor, Can't help it and Burn this disco out. Shame he never performed anything but the singles and WDAN :(

My favourite is Working Day And Night. It’s actually my favourite song of all time, and the album OTW is my favourite album.

But WDAN always makes my happy, makes my wanna dance :D
And all those little sounds in it are so great!! I just can't get enough of it :p

But I simply love the entire album, there is not even one song that I skip sometimes.

It's doesn't have the highs of Thriller, but it doesn't have the low of The Girl Is Mine either, and for that I consider it Michael's most complete album. My age of Michael was Bad/Moonwalker, so to begin with I always thought Off The Wall was a bit too uncool, full of naff disco in places. But now I fully appreciate it's amazing grooves. Prince tried but never managed to better the formula!

The first half is completely faultless and the second half provides a new dimension. There was a discussion on BBC Newsnight Review after Michael's death where the black panelist said he felt letdown by Michael for removing his face on the Special Edition's front sleeve, which I kinda understand, but having his sparkling socks on the cover does suit this most funky of albums.

It's far and away my most played album of the last three weeks.

I love this album, just discovered it (I know, shame on me). It's what I've been listening to the most as it's new to me of Michael and therefore just has positive feelings rather than sad memories.

Is fast becoming my favorite MJ album. I'm obsessed with Get on the floor, Can't help it and Burn this disco out. Shame he never performed anything but the singles and WDAN :(

I love Get On The Floor, Burn This Disco Out, DSTYGE and Working Day & Night in particular. It's such a feel good album, can't believe Michael was only 20 when he did this??? So amazing!

Get On The Floor has been on repeat for me for the past two days. Id heard it before, my dad used to play Off The Wall on record for me when I was a kid, but recently rediscovering this song helps me deal with MJ's death. He sounds like he's having so much fun with it towards the end... and the song's got Quincy ALL OVER IT. It sounds so much like songs from The Wiz.

ooh nice thread.

I absolutely adore the songs in OFT, my favourites at the moment are The Man and Gilrfriend. I've been listening to these 2 songs almost every day.

The Man is such a tune! Paul Mcartney sounds great, too

I love the title song "Off the Wall" -- I love the groove, the words: we're the party people night and day. Living crazy, thats the only way. Leave that 9-5 up on the shelf, and just enjoy your self. Common and groove, let the madness and the music get to you...

That is what it is all about! Do what you want to do! There ain't no rules! LOL

"Get On The Floor" has always been my favorite track from OTW. "Workin Day & Night" is another.

Another one I really like that I wish Michael did more of is "I Can't Help It". Such a great song.

This is absolutely my favourite album :) I agree with what someone said above about it being his most complete album... in terms of sound I think it coheres really well. I'd argue that as a *whole* it's better than Thriller, but that's not to disrespect Thriller!

It's my go to album, can always listen to it, start to end, without skipping a track! :)

The Off The Wall album is my favorite Michael Jackson album. It seems like there are many fans who don't appreciate this album as much as Thriller and the following albums afterward. This was the album that launched MJ's adult solo career that eventually led him to the HUGE success of Thriller, BAD, Dangerous, and so on. Off The Wall was a powerful and very successful album for MJ.

Off The Wall is my favorite album because it is an overall feel good album. I love the fact that he was 20 years old when he recorded this album. I love that he wanted to have his own distinct sound away from the sounds of The Jacksons. He didn't have the pressures of following up a huge album. He was very young and he took chances. He had a lot to prove as a real solo artist and he knew what he wanted and how to get it. That's one of the things I love about this album. It is very inspiring to me. I love the excitement and maturity of MJ's voice on this album. He exuded every emotion into this album. This album is truly a classic dance album! My favorite song from Off The Wall is Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough! I love the feel of it's funky groove. It just flows and you don't wanna stop dancing to it. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough definitely lives up to it's name.

You have written exactly what I wanted to write. Thank you! Off the wall is my fave MJ album as well. (Followed by Bad.)

Off The Wall is my favorite album. My favorite songs on it are:
Rock With You (My #1 Fav Song)
I Can't Help It
Off The Wall
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

Working day and night demo version is great too.

I like this because it's pure and fun, MJ before he became angry and digusted by the world..completely. That's my impression anyways.

I like this because it's pure and fun, MJ before he became angry and digusted by the world..completely. That's my impression anyways.

Yeah, that's a good point too. I think that's really the attraction of Off the Wall. It was his most innocent, most fun album.

I agree with you two.
I find myself constantly going back to his earlier music...like the Jacksons era, 'Destiny' and all that. Michael was so free and happy then. You could hear it.

About OTW...
'Girlfriend' was a bit of a filler. I'm sure they had cooler songs to choose from, but Mike probably wanted to keep it in because of Paul.

About OTW...
'Girlfriend' was a bit of a filler. I'm sure they had cooler songs to choose from, but Mike probably wanted to keep it in because of Paul.

Girlfriend's a nice little change of pace on the album, albeit morally objectionable. It's not must-skip bad like The Girl Is Mine. Say, Say, Say was their only great collaboration and Macca took that one for his own album. No wonder Michael decided to get his own back by nicking the entire Beatles back catalogue and then covering the Lennon-penned Come Together. Take that, Macca!

Get on the floor
follow by burn this disco out
and then rock with you

I love the whole album though, 30 years and the songs could of been made yesterday, such a classic album.

rock with you
he sounds sooo sexy on this song!
working day and night is also one of my favorites.
actually i love all the songs on this album, they all sound so lively

I really love Off the Wall. Favorite songs are "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough" and "Rock With You". I can't help but to sing along every time they come on. The music on this album is also very fun to dance to. I've been trying to get some of the moves down from the "Rock With You" video.

When I listen to a song that Michael recorded..but didn't make a video to, I just kind of imagine in my head what he would do to that song. I can see him in my mind dancing and moving to the beats. Some of the concepts are pretty interesting....things I actually think Michael would have done. I got a bad ass idea of "Get On The Floor" in my head. lol

I prefer this era because I grew up listening to records with musicians playing instruments. I used to read the credits of different albums and I knew a lot of the session players and background singers names like Ralph McDonald, Jerry Hey, the Waters siblings, etc.

Love this thread.
Off The Wall is an incredible album, definitely one of my favorites of all time.

Mmm, it's all about Get On The Floor. I just think the line "Gonna move, gonna groove you, gonna say things to you, just wait and see!" is characteristic of Mike's subtle sexuality. Unlike other pop legends, Michael Jackson never needed to be raunchy to be sexy. I'm looking at you, Prince.

Plus, I'd have let Mike "say things to me" any time. Mmm, that man!

Exactly!
So true. That whole song is actually pretty sexy. The way he sings low and gritty - "why don't you just dance across the floor", "get up, won't you go'n get down"

He never had to be overt to convey his sex appeal.

And GOTF is one of the best songs on the album.

When I go to the gym, and I work out on the elliptical, I always listen to Off the Wall...The songs are so upbeat, I get the best workout! Especially, working day and night, and get on the floor, I am COMPLETELY obsessed with the album right now...

Back