October 21 News and Mentionings

mariemarie

Guests
Mentionings

Martial arts millionaire could become UK's 'toughest mayor'

A millionaire martial arts magnate and former Michael Jackson bodyguard could become the UK's toughest mayor.
Matt Fiddes said today he would run for office is his home town of Swindon if it decides to have an elected mayor.
The 29 year old is backing moves for a referendum in Swindon on whether there should be an elected civic head.
He said he would consider standing under a "no-nonsense manifesto" which includes:
  • Fighting crime and anti-social behaviour.
  • Kicking out bullying in school and the workplace.
  • Chopping council bureaucracy.
More http://www.24dash.com/news/Local_Go...s-millionaire-could-become-UKs-toughest-mayor

Back on the floor please, ladies and gentlemen: 60s dance fever to break out all over again

LAST year pop guru Trevor Simpson turned the clock back in Calderdale when he organised a charity dance.
The night was on the back of his best-selling book Small Town Saturday Night which has helped to swell the coffers of Calderdale Hospital Radio, of which he is a founder member.
"People loved the book so much we thought well why not bring it to life? Why not organise a dance?" he says.
So he did just that and with John Leyton, king of the 1960s pop charts topping the bill, more than 350 rock 'n' roll fans bopped, jitterbugged and jived the night away.

There will also be the odd exclusive in store for readers. "The book contains the only photograph in existence of Michael Jackson at the Victoria Theatre," says Trevor.
"It was during his time with The Jacksons back in 1974. I went to the concert and then backstage to meet the brothers.
"The picture was snapped by the daughter of the assistant manager at the time so it is rare."

More http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/Back-on-the-floor-please.4611933.jp

[/center][/center][/center]Today in[/center]
Michael Jackson History
1996 - The government of Kuala Lumpur granted Michael Jackson permission to hold a concert. Jackson had been rejected earlier in the month and three years before.

2001 - Michael Jackson performed at the "United We Stand - What More Can I Give" concert.

michaeljackson_01.jpg

Last edited:
:waving: i love tuesday :waving: sorry if there is news alright post :) i just tryying to help out :) :yes:

here is website:http://music.ndtv.com/story.asp?slug=John+Legend+donates+a+song+to+Jackson&id=ENTEN20080069555

John Legend donates a song to Jackson

Indo-Asian News Service

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 (London)

Singer John Legend is not certain if pop star Michael Jackson is recording the song he gave him.

Legend is one among many who have given songs to Jackson for his next album.

According to legend, "I wrote a song Will I Am that we submitted to Michael for his project." But he added: "I don't know what he's doing with his album right now, I don't even know if he's still working on it."

Even with the confusion, Legend is certain about Jackson's reputation. He said, "Jackson is obviously a legend, don't get it twisted."

i found some news on X Factor :yes:

here is website:http://www.londoninformer.co.uk/lon...-keeps-feet-on-fulham-ground-113489-22080539/

X Factor star keeps feet on Fulham ground

Oct 21 2008 By Saffron Pineger

JLS, X Factor

X Factor star Oritse Williams has thanked his Fulham fans for spurring his band on to pop success.

JLS triumphed on Saturday's show when all acts performed Michael Jackson songs, with JLS and eight dancers taking to the stage with *****'s 1987 hit 'The way you make me feel.'

Oritse, who lives off Wandworth Bridge Road, said: "It's like we've won the World Cup. We have got through two weeks in a row and we are very excited about next Saturday.

"Our Fulham fans are all rooting for us and we are hoping to get more behind us. Hopefully we will do Fulham proud.

"My mum Sonia's enjoying the show so much.

"We are doing a big band style act this week and people aren't expecting us to deliver. But JLS has many different colours and we enjoy many different types of music."

This Saturday's show will see another act knocked out. Go to www.xfactor.itv.com to learn more about JLS.

here is website:http://www.myparkmag.co.uk/articles...-drage-will-teach-diana-vickers-a-lesson.html

X Factor - Austin Drage will teach Diana Vickers a lesson
Tuesday, 21 October 2008

Diana Vickers might be the current X Factor favourite to win but Austin Drage seems determined to teach her a lesson or two.

His version of the Michael Jackson classic Billie Jean certainly impressed Simon Cowell and Same Difference who finished in third place last year.

Simon told him: "That performance was in a completely different league to anything we've heard tonight.

"It was original, of course it was a risky thing to do but this is what we like about you.

"You've got soul in your voice and you've got passion as well and this is the first time tonight I actually heard and saw something where I felt the artists was trying, so best performance by a mile."

Same Difference wrote in their X Factor blog: "Our Pick of the Week was Austin. His version of Billie Jean was so different to the original and we felt that he made it his own.

"He has such an amazing stage presence and his vocals rose to a new level with this song. Simon was right to say that his was the performance of the night.

"Now he has found his confidence in the competition there will be no stopping him. We can't wait to see next week's performance!"

Thanks, Rockstar. The news you have posted today have already been posted in previous news and mentioning threads.

I know sometimes we all can post he same news several times, but to prevent that from happening all the time we have to look back at previous news threads and see if the news we have found have already been posted. And if the it has been posted before then it's old news and shouldn't be posted again. :)

Martial arts millionaire could become UK's 'toughest mayor'

A millionaire martial arts magnate and former Michael Jackson bodyguard could become the UK's toughest mayor.

Matt Fiddes said today he would run for office is his home town of Swindon if it decides to have an elected mayor.
The 29 year old is backing moves for a referendum in Swindon on whether there should be an elected civic head.
He said he would consider standing under a "no-nonsense manifesto" which

includes:
  • Fighting crime and anti-social behaviour.
  • Kicking out bullying in school and the workplace.
  • Chopping council bureaucracy.

LOL suprised hes got time with him sueing Tito and being the jacksons best friend. hes not much of an attention seaker is he. whats the betting mj is gonna sing at his swearing in ceremony. oh sorry that was bill clinton lol

I was laughing when I read this. LOL. Oh man..... This fool wants to be mayor. For what? I hope he doesn't win.

According to legend, "I wrote a song Will I Am that we submitted to Michael for his project." But he added: "I don't know what he's doing with his album right now, I don't even know if he's still working on it."

An article re-hashing old news. Blah. No offense, but isn't there a X Factor thread? I mean, I keep reading articles about the show and I think it would be reasonable to post the news on the thread. Just suggesting.

Anyway, thanks, marie.

That former bodyguard; I wonder when he was working for Michael Jackson. He's so young lol
There's a picture of him in the link though

Last edited:
Around 2002, he had to be in his early to mid 20s. When I read that he was MJ's former bodyguard, I had to admit, I was a bit hesitant. LOL. Some people just want to put MJ's name on something and say they "know" him. I do not know who will vote for a media whore. LOL.

he worked for mj for a couple of days in 2002 because hes friends with uri geller and geller brought him in to help at an event mj was attending in exeter. hes lived off it ever since and probably used that as he tried to get in with the jacksons. prob claimed he known mj for years and were best buddies etc

LOL suprised hes got time with him sueing Tito and being the jacksons best friend. hes not much of an attention seaker is he. whats the betting mj is gonna sing at his swearing in ceremony. oh sorry that was bill clinton lol

LOL, I was thinking the samething elusive moonwalker. I'm sure Matt will find a way to bring the name "Michael Jackson" into his campaign slogan and campaign speeches. LOL!

Well, when you're up and coming it does help to have your name in the same sentence as Michael Jackson. At least it will get you to MJJC.com lol.

he worked for mj for a couple of days in 2002

A couple of days?! WTF? And he was a "bodyguard"? He doesn't even know Michael. LOL. He just knew what time it was to hang out with Mike.

Well, when you're up and coming it does help to have your name in the same sentence as Michael Jackson. At least it will get you to MJJC.com lol

Sadly, that is true.

A couple of days?! WTF?

yeah cause he was gellers friend and mj was attending an event that geller had set up so fiddes came along for ride. hes not a proper B.G in any sense of the word

^ No, he is not a regular bodyguard. That is why I laugh when the media says that he is "friends" with Mike. LOL.

21 October 2008 18:18 UK

King Of Pop's boost post X Factor
By Georgie Rogers

Michael Jackson's King Of Pop has re-entered the top ten of the album chart, from 47, since this week's X Factor.

The TV talent show, which aired on Saturday, featured all of its 11 contestants singing from the star's extensive back catalogue.

Music industry experts claim the hit show has become the biggest music promoter since Top Of The Pops.

Meanwhile AC/DC's Black Ice has stormed the album charts, estimated to outsell Kaiser Chiefs and Leon by two to one.

'Incredible power'

King Of Pop is the Thriller hitmaker's compilation album, released in celebration of his 50th birthday.

Speaking about its boost in sales since last week's midweek figures HMV's spokesman, Genaro Castaldo, told 6 Music: "The X Factor shows have become the biggest way of promoting music in the UK ever since we lost Top Of The Pops. Everyone queues up to get on there.

It just shows you the enduring appeal of Michael Jackson, reminding you of how brilliant his songs are
HMV spokesman, Genaro Castaldo

"Off the back of that his album King Of Pop,which was released some weeks ago and was around number 47 last week, has had a massive boost.

"It was at number 47, but the midweek figures show that it is currently sitting in the top ten.

"It just shows you the enduring appeal of Michael Jackson, reminding you of how brilliant his songs are, but also it tells us all how incredibly powerful the X Factor has become at promoting music in the UK."

However, Castaldo estimated that its position will peter out by the end of the week: "I think potentially the King Of Pop album might fall away a little bit because it's natural that the most interest follows straight after the show.

"I'd be very surprised if it didn't make the top 15 or 20 and now that it's there it might be the case that it'll carry on selling quite well in the next few weeks."

[...]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7682478.stm

Mentioning
From my favorite fashion blog:

EMI team up with Sainsbury's to bring you song lyrics on clothes

EMI have signed a deal with Sainsbury's which will allow the retailer to manufacture clothes with lyrics owned by the record label.
This is the latest initiative under EMI's Lyric brand which licences posters, greetings cards and board games. Lyrics to 'My Girl', 'Wild Thing' and 'ABC' -from our beloved J5- have all been earmarked for Sainsbury's TU range which will appear on clothing collections for men, women and children.

http://www.catwalkqueen.tv/2008/10/emi_team_up_wit.html

:waving: hi everybody :waving: :heart: :hug: for everybody: :hug:

here is website:http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Migraine_Over_Janet_Resuming_Her_Tour_26674.html

Migraine Over, Janet Resuming Her Tour

Janet Jackson canceled and postponed a few concerts from her new U.S. and Canada tour, “Rock Witchu” The singer accused a series of throbbing migraines which rendered her unable to perform. One of the shows, which was supposed to take place in Montreal, was cancelled at the last minute. The singer was taken to the hospital, but was released a just a couple of hours afterwards, indicating that her condition was not severe.

A press release was launched by the star’s representatives, which stated that the official diagnosis is migraine-associated vertigo. Fans can rest assured that Janet Jackson will receive the best possible treatment. It was also said that she wanted to perform, but the vertigo was still affecting her, leading to the cancellation of some of her shows.

The star resumed her tour today, the first concert since the recovery being in Washington D.C. The cancelled and postponed shows will be soon returning to Montreal, Boston, Philadelphia, North Carolina – Greensboro, Florida – Fort Lauderdale and Connecticut – Uncasville. The exact dates of the shows will be made available for the public in due time.

Rock Witchu is Janet Jackson’s first tour in seven years. The star is pop legend Michael Jackson’s youngest sister and started her career in the famous “Jackson Five”, a band formed of all the Jackson Children. In the past, Janet Jackson held the covers of tabloids for several publicity stunts. One of the most famous included Janet exposing her breast and pierced nipple on stage, while performing with Justin Timberlake. Her relationship with the much younger pop star was also headline-material for a couple of months.

here is website:http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/10/21/guitar.hero/

Newest 'Guitar Hero' lets you create music

(CNN) -- It has fed the dreams of millions of air guitarists, headbangers and rocker wannabes. It has exposed a new generation of fans to classic rock and metal while helping the slumping record industry boost sales.

Now, for an encore, the wildly popular "Guitar Hero" video game franchise has a new, more ambitious goal: It wants to help you record original music and share it with other fans around the world.

"Guitar Hero World Tour," the fourth major installment in the gaming series, hits stores Sunday, October 26. Unlike past "GH" games, which came only with a guitar-shaped controller, "GHWT" also includes a drum kit and microphone, so gamers can tackle bass, vocal and percussion parts, too.

The game's new studio mode will allow players to use the instrument controllers to record music tracks. Through an online service called GHTunes, players also will be able to upload their songs, download others or collaborate to create music together.

The 86 songs in "Guitar Hero World Tour," all master recordings, include such riff-heavy classics as Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze," Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train" and Bon Jovi's "Livin' On a Prayer." But the game also ventures into such new "GH" genres as country (Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again") and even dance pop ("Beat It" by Michael Jackson).

CNN spoke with "Guitar Hero" creators Charles and Kai Huang of RedOctane about the new game. (Some of their answers have been edited.)

CNN: What were your goals in developing "Guitar Hero World Tour?"

Charles Huang: One of our goals was to create a great social gaming experience, so that four people can get together and play. The other was. . .the new feature we call GHTunes. In a music studio in "Guitar Hero" you can actually use our instrument controllers, create your own original music, upload it onto the Internet and . . .other people can download your music and play it in "Guitar Hero." You can lay down a drum track, stop, then pick up a guitar and lay down a guitar track. And then you can go into an editing studio and edit your song and put the finishing touches on it. So there's going to be almost an unlimited amount of original music. . .that people will explore.

Kai Huang: With GHTunes, once we launch that, it's going to be the biggest open platform for online distribution of music. That's something that's never really been offered before.

You've added other instruments to the game. How influenced were you by the success of "Rock Band?"

Kai Huang: We started with guitar. But our ultimate vision had always been about putting all of the instruments together and creating a band product. It was about waiting until we had what we thought the gamers were really going to want. With "World Tour," we have all new instruments.

CH: The guitar controller is slightly larger [than before].

KH: And we took a lot of time to make sure our drums were as authentic as possible. We've actually put the velocity-sensing technology in there, so the harder you hit the drum head, the harder it's going to sound, and the softer you hit, the softer its going to sound.

How does the game score players' vocals? That sounds tricky.

CH: The guitar and the drums work on a rhythm, a beat matching. And the vocals work on pitch matching. You have to match the pitch of the notes as they scroll by.

Why did you add a beginner level?

KH: Our whole objective with "Guitar Hero" is to make it as broadly accessible as possible. By adding this beginner mode, we can get even young kids, who are 5, 6, 7 and who maybe can't coordinate pressing a button on the guitar and strumming at the same time. . .to make it really easy for them. All they have to do is strum.

CH: My 7- and 9-year-old daughters play. And there are times when my 70-year-old dad plays. You want to give people of all ages and all sizes the ability to play "Guitar Hero" and have fun.

What about compatibility across formats? If I create a song on a Wii console, for example, could other people play it on an Xbox?

CH: I believe GHTunes is compatible across all formats.

How did you choose the songs for this game?

KH: We're looking for music that connects with people. When they hear it, they go, "Wow, I love that song and I have to buy this game." We start with a list of maybe 200 or 300 songs we would love to license. And from there we work with the labels and the artists themselves to see which ones we can actually get.

CH: We try to cover a lot of different genres and different eras. "Guitar Hero" has always been known for classic rock and metal. But we also look for songs that have great instrumentals and are fun to play, like "La Bamba," by Los Lobos, which is surprisingly difficult. We put in [new] genres like the Beastie Boys. Michael Jackson is in there. What's great about "Beat It" is that a lot of people forget that Eddie Van Halen played the guitar solo on that.

When you guys were first developing "Guitar Hero," didn't you have a hard time convincing artists to let you use their songs?

KH: Yeah, with "Guitar Hero 1," it was an unknown game. We went out and tried to license music and frankly got turned down for about 97 percent of the songs we asked for. They didn't know what this game was. We didn't have enough money to play them anyway. So it was a real challenge at the beginning. It's become much easier for us.

Do you have a preferred console for playing "Guitar Hero"?

CH: We try to take advantage of the uniqueness of each console. They're all very different, and we try to tailor our games to match the strengths of each.

KH: Yeah, we love all of our children. How do you choose?

What do you think has been "Guitar Hero's" biggest impact on the music industry?

CH: We actually saw...song downloads go up the week after "Guitar Hero III" was released -- for every single song that was included.

KH: Aerosmith generated more money on royalties for their game ["Guitar Hero Aerosmith"] than they did on each of their past two albums. So they [the games] are truly bringing artists to new audiences, and much bigger audiences.

So the new game will be in stores October 26? That's a Sunday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7682478.stm

Page last updated at 17:18 GMT, Tuesday, 21 October 2008 18:18 UK
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
King Of Pop's boost post X Factor

By Georgie Rogers
6 Music news reporter
999999.gif

_45129752_michaeljackson.jpg
Michael Jackson has been releasing his music since 1972

Michael Jackson's King Of Pop has re-entered the top ten of the album chart, from 47, since this week's X Factor.
The TV talent show, which aired on Saturday, featured all of its 11 contestants singing from the star's extensive back catalogue.
Music industry experts claim the hit show has become the biggest music promoter since Top Of The Pops.
Meanwhile AC/DC's Black Ice has stormed the album charts, estimated to outsell Kaiser Chiefs and Leon by two to one.
'Incredible power'
King Of Pop is the Thriller hitmaker's compilation album, released in celebration of his 50th birthday.
Speaking about its boost in sales since last week's midweek figures HMV's spokesman, Genaro Castaldo, told 6 Music: "The X Factor shows have become the biggest way of promoting music in the UK ever since we lost Top Of The Pops. Everyone queues up to get on there.
o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
It just shows you the enduring appeal of Michael Jackson, reminding you of how brilliant his songs are
end_quote_rb.gif

HMV spokesman, Genaro Castaldo

"Off the back of that his album King Of Pop,which was released some weeks ago and was around number 47 last week, has had a massive boost.
"It was at number 47, but the midweek figures show that it is currently sitting in the top ten.
"It just shows you the enduring appeal of Michael Jackson, reminding you of how brilliant his songs are, but also it tells us all how incredibly powerful the X Factor has become at promoting music in the UK."
However, Castaldo estimated that its position will peter out by the end of the week: "I think potentially the King Of Pop album might fall away a little bit because it's natural that the most interest follows straight after the show.
"I'd be very surprised if it didn't make the top 15 or 20 and now that it's there it might be the case that it'll carry on selling quite well in the next few weeks."
AC/DC's selling fast
Elsewhere in the charts, the Kaiser Chiefs could be knocked off the album top spot this weekend by veteran rockers AC/DC.
Early reports indicated that their new album Black Ice had already sold nearly 25,000 more copies than Kaisers' Off With Their Heads and is available in two formats, the standard edition and a deluxe version.
_45129801_dc.jpg
HMV's spokesman estimates AC/DC to outsell the Kaiser Chiefs by two to one.

"They're by far outselling any of the other releases this week," Castaldo explained. "That includes Kaiser Chiefs in the number two spot and the X Factor's Leon Jackson at number three.
"They'll probably outsell the Kaiser Chiefs and Leon by a margin of two to one, which is quite an achievement, because those artists are high profile.
"It's no surprise really because it's been six years since their last album was released. They've obviously got a huge fan base in the UK and around the rest of the world, so it's a big deal that it's come out and people are responding."
Speaking for the whole of the market, not just HMV, he continued: "We estimate that the band and the album should comfortably go through the 100,000 mark by the end of the week, which will put them up there in the top ten best selling albums of 2008." However, Castaldo claims Black Ice is still far off matching the likes of Coldplay, Kings Of Leon and Oasis' recent album successes. He quoted Coldplay's 300,000 copies of Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends sold in the first week of sales, as a comparison.

Rockstar......check the threads before you post, you're duplicating info.

While doing the continuing countdown to the end of TRL during the show they did a countdown of the top 10 time square moments and MJ was at number 3.

Thanx for the news everyone. That's a great news, the X-Factor and the boost. More kids of the younger generation might get a chance to listen to his music and become fans. The show might play a role of catalyst.

The top 10 Time Squre moment news is interesting. I wonder who's in the first place?

Thanx for the news everyone. That's a great news, the X-Factor and the boost. More kids of the younger generation might get a chance to listen to his music and become fans. The show might play a role of catalyst.

The top 10 Time Square moment news is interesting. I wonder who's in the first place?
Beyonce with Mike Myers was number 2 and the number 1 Time Square moment was Eminem.

So did em in 2002 when 8 Mile came out they actually had to close the curtains I remember the episode well.

Back