NY Times on Michael Jackson's "Posthumous Renaissance"

billyworld99

Proud Member
I know the Gardner school has been covered, but this is a larger, very important story about Michael's legacy, and it's significant as it's in the New York Times,

By IAN LOVETT
Published: October 30, 2010

LOS ANGELES —

The uncovering of the [Gardiner School] sign is only the latest evidence of what may be a posthumous renaissance of the King of Pop. Immediately after his death from a prescription drug overdose in June 2009, Mr. Jackson’s music once again dominated the airwaves; a few months later, the movie about preparations for his final concert tour, “This Is It,” became the top box office draw. After years of rumors about financial trouble, Forbes magazine this month named Mr. Jackson the richest dead celebrity.

Mary Murphy, a senior lecturer at the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism at the University of Southern California, said support for uncovering the sign would have been unthinkable before his death.

“When Michael Jackson was going through the ****philia charges and trial, people thought that his legacy would be these charges against him,” Ms. Murphy said. “It turns out that his music is going to be the legacy of his life.”

Mr. Jackson attended Gardner from 1969 to 1970 after his family moved to Los Angeles to record the Jackson Five’s debut album. When he returned in 1989 for the dedication of the auditorium in his honor, he was the most popular performer in the world.

Since Mr. Jackson’s death, however, school officials said they had received a groundswell of requests to uncover his name. The president of the school’s P.T.A. said that on parents’ night, when the principal broached the subject, all 200 parents assembled were in favor of restoring the sign. Steve Zimmer, a Los Angeles Unified School District board member, said they had received no negative feedback from parents.

“As we remember Mr. Jackson, we want to remember the musical genius and the contributions to our cultural landscape,” Mr. Zimmer said. “Having plywood covering up his name is not really showing that we’re making an effort to recognize the positive legacy.”

While Mr. Jackson’s legacy may have remained more controversial in other parts of the country, his affiliation with the school represents a point of pride for many parents here in Hollywood, where bus tours bring people from all over the world to see celebrity homes and hangouts.

At Gardner Street Elementary, which has a racially diverse student population, the school’s most famous former student has become an almost uniformly popular figure. A ceremony with the Jackson family at the school has been planned for December, after the sign, which still bears the dust of its seven years in hiding, has been polished.

Many students, especially the younger ones, do not understand why Mr. Jackson’s name was covered in the first place.

“Michael Jackson is the best singer in the world,” said Sean Kaplan, a fourth grader. “We like to sing ‘Thriller,’ and we like to do his dance moves on his tippy toes.”

And with that, Sean moonwalked back toward the playground.

ORGINALLY POSTED BY BO G FROM MJFC

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/us/31michael.ht

I wish he was here to see all these good things happening. I hope he didn't leave this world thinking people didn't love him. The thought just makes me sad. I wish all these good things had happened when he was alive. :cry:

I wish he was here to see all these good things happening. I hope he didn't leave this world thinking people didn't love him. The thought just makes me sad. I wish all these good things had happened when he was alive. :cry:

i think he knew he was loved and apprieciated look at the world music awards a year after the trial the crowd's reaction was crazy, same with his press conference with this is it and april 2009 there's a video of mj shopping adults and kids was causing a huge crowd in the middle of the street just to take a glimpse at him

yeah.. and in the shopping footage u can hear people saying 'we love u michael' and 'god bless u michael' ...also kenny, travis, musicians, and dancers on this is it made it pretty clear they respected and loved the man.

Shows you that the media and these so called experts they constantly run to are beyond clueless. Well now they know. And i am loving it.!!!

OMG, The comment of those children really touched me.

The truth really do runs in marathons. The haters no matter how they try to bring him down have failed. Mike will go down in history as the child prodigical music genius who turned into a King.

He knew and knows that he is loved. I remember a fan from here sharing her story of meeting him and being able to tell him how special and important he is to all of us. She specifically emphasized this to ease anyone's fears that he might have ascended without being fully aware of the love that fans have for him. And of course, he had his children.

I know that a lot of these things might seem for naught now that he isn't physically here anymore, but honestly, I would rather see positive things happening now than never.

Last edited:
It's true, most of the next generation won't even hear about the charges.

True. We had a maintenance guy in our apartment and I was playing MJ. I caught him singing along. I asked him if he was a Michael fan. He said he liked him, but it was his kids who were crazy about him. I asked him how old they were. He said 6,8 and 11. MJ's legacy is going to live forever.

I went to check the article, and there is another paragraph which I DON"T like at all

--------------
The only resistance so far has come from the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests.

“Already it’s extraordinarily hard for sexually violated kids to come forward,” said David Clohessy, the network’s director. “When we honor accused pedophiles, especially one as high-profile as Michael Jackson, it risks intimidating victims even more.”

Mr. Clohessy said his group had received more negative feedback on this issue than anything else it had done in 20 years.
-------------

I wonder, was this paragraph there initially or it was added later?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/us/31michael.html

justnat;3039498 said:
I went to check the article, and there is another paragraph which I DON"T like at all

--------------
The only resistance so far has come from the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests.

“Already it’s extraordinarily hard for sexually violated kids to come forward,” said David Clohessy, the network’s director. “When we honor accused pedophiles, especially one as high-profile as Michael Jackson, it risks intimidating victims even more.”

Mr. Clohessy said his group had received more negative feedback on this issue than anything else it had done in 20 years.
-------------

Thank god the original poster deliberately omitted that paragraph. I skipped it in the ny times, only to have you post it here.

Thank god the original poster deliberately omitted that paragraph. I skipped it in the ny times, only to have you post it here.

I do apologize if I offended you. However, I consider NY Post a rag and I don't believe that things should be omitted when quoted to make the article look better. I actually added to the "negative feedback" by writing relatively polite e-mail to this organization and intend to do it again. If you want me to delete my previous post, I will do it.

I do apologize if I offended you. However, I consider NY Post a rag and I don't believe that things should be omitted when quoted to make the article look better. I actually added to the "negative feedback" by writing relatively polite e-mail to this organization and intend to do it again. If you want me to delete my previous post, I will do it.

Apology accepted. Don't want you to delete your post. The article is in the ny times, you know all the news that's fit to print (laugh) Know too much about my home town rag the ny post.

billyworld99;3039353 said:
I know the Gardner school has been covered, but this is a larger, very important story about Michael's legacy, and it's significant as it's in the New York Times,

By IAN LOVETT
Published: October 30, 2010

LOS ANGELES —

The uncovering of the [Gardiner School] sign is only the latest evidence of what may be a posthumous renaissance of the King of Pop. Immediately after his death from a prescription drug overdose in June 2009, Mr. Jackson’s music once again dominated the airwaves; a few months later, the movie about preparations for his final concert tour, “This Is It,” became the top box office draw. After years of rumors about financial trouble, Forbes magazine this month named Mr. Jackson the richest dead celebrity.

Mary Murphy, a senior lecturer at the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism at the University of Southern California, said support for uncovering the sign would have been unthinkable before his death.

“When Michael Jackson was going through the ****philia charges and trial, people thought that his legacy would be these charges against him,” Ms. Murphy said. “It turns out that his music is going to be the legacy of his life.”

Mr. Jackson attended Gardner from 1969 to 1970 after his family moved to Los Angeles to record the Jackson Five’s debut album. When he returned in 1989 for the dedication of the auditorium in his honor, he was the most popular performer in the world.

Since Mr. Jackson’s death, however, school officials said they had received a groundswell of requests to uncover his name. The president of the school’s P.T.A. said that on parents’ night, when the principal broached the subject, all 200 parents assembled were in favor of restoring the sign. Steve Zimmer, a Los Angeles Unified School District board member, said they had received no negative feedback from parents.

“As we remember Mr. Jackson, we want to remember the musical genius and the contributions to our cultural landscape,” Mr. Zimmer said. “Having plywood covering up his name is not really showing that we’re making an effort to recognize the positive legacy.”

While Mr. Jackson’s legacy may have remained more controversial in other parts of the country, his affiliation with the school represents a point of pride for many parents here in Hollywood, where bus tours bring people from all over the world to see celebrity homes and hangouts.

At Gardner Street Elementary, which has a racially diverse student population, the school’s most famous former student has become an almost uniformly popular figure. A ceremony with the Jackson family at the school has been planned for December, after the sign, which still bears the dust of its seven years in hiding, has been polished.

Many students, especially the younger ones, do not understand why Mr. Jackson’s name was covered in the first place.

“Michael Jackson is the best singer in the world,” said Sean Kaplan, a fourth grader. “We like to sing ‘Thriller,’ and we like to do his dance moves on his tippy toes.”

And with that, Sean moonwalked back toward the playground.

ORGINALLY POSTED BY BO G FROM MJFC

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/us/31michael.ht

the bolded proves how evil the societal media is. the new york times isn't significant to me.
not to mention that organization that refuses to use the word 'alleged', but, moreover, shouldn't even use that, because MJ was acquitted, and that should be mentioned, and the fact that the new york times 'cleverly' doesn't back that up, with a mention of the acquittal, which is the same as endorsing a non acquittal, so the new york times doesn't care about the u.s. court system, either, and 'cleverly' made the defamation quote their own, that way, after delibreately bringing up the 'organization's objection... anybody else would sue them, but MJ had too many like that coming after him, so, how much money would be spent trying to sue?

yellow journalism..and..they are looked at as reporting legitimate business and other news, right in the same place..so..there's the reality of that cowardly subliminal undermining, lying media.

thank god for the kids who wondered why the school sign was covered in the first place, though

Last edited:
i think he knew he was loved and apprieciated look at the world music awards a year after the trial the crowd's reaction was crazy, same with his press conference with this is it and april 2009 there's a video of mj shopping adults and kids was causing a huge crowd in the middle of the street just to take a glimpse at him

April 2009 Beverly Hills,California,USA

"Only Michael could stop? traffic in Beverly Hills, a place where it's not a big deal to see a 'star' walk down the street."

Last edited:
This makes me miss him so much that I wanna cry and I'm so sick that they didn't do this when he was alive that I wanna puke...

justnat;3039498 said:

--------------

-------------

Wow, this part totally lacks credibility :bugeyed - The man was never convicted of anything criminal!!!

"""A ceremony with the Jackson family at the school has been planned for December, after the sign, which still bears the dust of its seven years in hiding, has been polished."""

this is great , more press for the event , may add more support for MJ in the coming years !

justnat;3039498 said:
--------------

-------------

This person (David Clohessy) should be accused...

When the trial was going on and I had arguments with friends about what Michael's legacy would be. I told them straight the charges which will be dropped will be seen as a footnote and how he was a victim of an extortion attempt. His legacy will be his music and that has been proved correct. I just didn't want it to be proven true so soon.

this is why i'm convinced of things like Invincible having reached thriller first landmark sales mark, and such things as continuous fan frenzy to his last day and beyond, even though the media doesn't reveal it..because how else do you explain mainstream media holding onto jealousies forever, by finding roundabout ways to defame Michael, and we have to continue battling against them, so people won't think Michael was a child molester and drug addict, in future generations? that media keeps lacing their articles, and it's been five years now. they should have stopped by now..unless...there is envy so great, it has made them full of irrational rage, hidden under their surface.

billyworld99;3039353 said:

This is just what the media wanted the world to believe and they convinced themselves this was the truth. But it was but the evil truth they created to make a profit.

SHAME ON ALL THOSE WHO DID IT!!!!! And shame on our society that was eager to buy this crap and make fun and hurt Michael Jackson, an innocent man, for so long, 'till the very end.

The comment of the little child in the end says it all: they don't even know why MJ's name had been covered and it's a fact: people really had NO idea why they kept mocking MJ over the years, but they kept doing it, because that was the way they wanted things to be for Michael. I hate this nasty system.

justnat;3039498 said:

--------------

-------------

*it shouldnt read "accused pedophiles"... it should read..
"ACQUITTED ALLEGED PEDOPHILES".

HE knew he was loved. I was glad he sold out the 50 shows (and the demand was high everywhere).

That's awesome! :)

First of all, I don't think the world should forget about the charges as in "oh well, he was charged, maybe he did it, maybe he didn't do it, who cares, let's enjoy his music". I do not want that. I want the world to remember the charges AND realize and acknowledge they were FALSE! That's what I want! And to be honest I feel surely but slowly it's coming! Believe me all those fan sites which present the facts of both accusations are not in vain. I see more and more people turn around and say: wow, he have been lied to by the media all along, I never realized this is what actually happened in that courtroom.

Secondly:

I'm glad they got more negative feedback on this than on anything! These organizations should stop using MJ's name for their agenda and concentrate their efforts on real issues!! But unfortunately it seems he never read those e-mails, if he still goes on with his agenda. What if tomorrow this guy gets accused of p-lia by someone? Would accusation make him automatically guilty? By his logic it seems so.

They should realize at last that not everybody who is accused of child molestation is guilty. In fact, about the half of such accusations are false.

And if he is worried about what message it brings to children: what message it would bring to our children if an innocent man would be treated as guilty in the "court of public opinion"? What message does it give children if we judge without knowing all the facts as Mr. Clohessy and his group evidently does? Is that the right message?

Last edited:
Back