Number Ones is 2nd best selling album of 2009 in US

bobmoo79

Proud Member
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/40412/week-ending-aug-2-2009-not-since-double-fantasy/

Week Ending Aug. 2, 2009: Not Since "Double Fantasy"
Posted 12 minutes ago by Paul Grein in Chart Watch
Michael Jackson's Number Ones is the best-selling album in the U.S. for the fifth time in the past six weeks. This is the longest that an artist who had died has had the nation's top-seller since Double Fantasy, by John Lennon and his widow, Yoko Ono, topped The Billboard 200 for eight weeks from December 1980 to February 1981. In both cases, shock at the untimely passing of a pop legend spurred sales. Lennon was just 40 when he was shot to death outside his apartment building in Manhattan. Jackson was 50 when he died of cardiac arrest at a rented mansion in Los Angeles.
This is the longest that a greatest hits set has been the best-selling album in the U.S. since the Beatles' 1 held the top spot for eight weeks from November 2000 to January 2001. It's the longest that Jackson has had the top-seller since Bad held the top spot for six weeks in September and October 1987.
This is the sixth consecutive week that Jackson has had three of the five best-selling albums in the U.S. Number Ones sold 114,000 copies and would have held at #1 if catalog albums were eligible to compete on The Billboard 200. The Essential Michael Jackson sold 69,000 and would have inched up from #4 to #3. Thriller sold 59,000 and would have held at #5.

Number Ones, which made its final appearance on The Billboard 200 in July 2005, seems increasingly likely to wind up as the #1 album of 2009. The hits compilation has sold 1,373,000 copies so far this year. Only Taylor Swift's Fearless has outsold it. The country crossover hit has sold 1,500,000 copies since Jan. 1. And Number Ones is gaining on Fearless. This is the sixth week in a row that the hit-studded compilation has surpassed 100,000 in sales. Fearless hasn't topped 100,000 in weekly sales since the last week of December.
Jackson has sold 3,788,000 albums in the U.S. since his death, which has enabled him to zoom from #47 to #35 on Nielsen/SoundScan's running list of the best-selling artists in its 18-year history. Number Ones has been his biggest-seller since his death, with sales of 1,256,000 copies in this period. Six weeks ago, on the last charts released before Jackson's death, the compilation ranked #134 for the year-to-date, with 2009 sales of 117,000.
By being the sales leader for five weeks, Number Ones equals a feat set by Roberta Flack's First Take, which topped the chart for five weeks in April and May 1972, even though it was what we would now call a catalog album. (It charted from January to June 1970 and returned to the chart in April 1972 after director Clint Eastwood featured its key track, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" in his movie Play Misty For Me.)
This is the sixth week that Thriller has been one of the 10 best-selling albums in the country. Thriller 25 was one the 10 best-sellers for five weeks last year. The original album logged 78 weeks in the top 10 in 1983-1984. If you were to add these tallies together, you would have a grand (if unofficial) total of 89 weeks in the top 10 (or what would be the top 10 if Billboard allowed catalog albums in the top 10). This would push Thriller ahead of Bruce Springsteen's Born In The U.S.A., which had 84 weeks in the top 10 in 1984-1985. Only one other album has had more than 80 weeks in the top 10 since 1963, when separate mono and stereo albums were combined into one comprehensive chart. That's The Sound Of Music soundtrack, which had 109 weeks in the top 10 from 1965 through 1968.
The Essential Michael Jackson is #1 in the U.K. for the fifth straight week. That's the longest run at #1 in the U.K. in 2009. Back in the U.S., Jackson has 16 songs on Top Digital Songs. His top entry is "Billie Jean," which sold 28,000 downloads this week, bringing its total to 1,454,000. This is the first time since Jackson's death that "Billie Jean" has been his top song. "Man In The Mirror" and "Thriller" were his most active songs the other five weeks.

I reckon he's going to outsell Taylor easily. =]
I just wish it was the comeback that was causing this and not his death.
*sigh*

"Number Ones, which made its final appearance on The Billboard 200 in July 2005, seems increasingly likely to wind up as the #1 album of 2009."

cool. Go Michael!!! You've always been the man.

Great, it will be class if it ends up being the best seller of the year and it already would be only for sony releasing so many best ofs. He will definately have sold more albums than any other artists be the end of the year.

I hope it does too, but it hurts that it's not cuz of Michael rockin it again. :(

The Fine Print: When I say that it's increasingly likely that Michael Jackson's Number Ones will wind up as the #1 album of 2009, I'm talking about the Nielsen/SoundScan year, which runs on the calendar year, and not the Billboard year, which this year runs from Dec. 6, 2008 through Nov. 28, 2009. Billboard's time frame includes Fearless' entire run except for its potent (592,000-copy) opening week. Which means Fearless may well be Billboard's #1 album of 2009, even if Number Ones is Nielsen/SoundScan's #1 album of 2009.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/40412/week-ending-aug-2-2009-not-since-double-fantasy/

----

Grrr...It would work out so conveniently for Billboard too to gloat about Taylor Swift being the best selling artist of the year. Why does Billboard have such screwed up rules for everything?

I went out and bought this CD after Michael passed, and have listened to it every day in my car since.

I love it. I am proud to have helped with his continuing success :D

That total sales figure makes me unbelievably happy!

In a way, Michael splits the vote against himself. Some people bought Number Ones, others the Essential Michael Jackson, and others still HIStory Vol. 1. If Michael had just one greatest hits album, like The Eagles, it would be on the level of Bad and Dangerous in sales, maybe even beyond them second only to Thriller.

Awesome, go Michael!

Only wish he was around to see all the love he's getting :cry:

i may just go out and buy more copies to send as xmas presents.. need to do that early cause i hate shoopign near the holidays.. mayeb we ALL should go get friends and family this as a present lol

Hey Just A Girl! They have them at Wal-Mart!! I may give one to my nephew who is almost 16. He likes MJ!!

Exactly the same first reaction here. :lol:
Along with "Who the hell is number one?" :mat:

Taylor Swift's "Fearless" is the #1 selling album in the US for 2009 SO FAR. I believe by the end of the year, Number Ones will overtake Fearless and become the biggest selling album of the year. (According to RIAA). However, Billboard has different definitions of a "year", going from Dec 6th 08 to Dec 5th 09....thus making Fearless a very hard competitor to beat. It's possible, but unlikely.

this is great news yayayayaya michael but wished mj coulda seen this sighs that album that mj was working on will sell like hotcakes!!!!!

In a way, Michael splits the vote against himself. Some people bought Number Ones, others the Essential Michael Jackson, and others still HIStory Vol. 1. If Michael had just one greatest hits album, like The Eagles, it would be on the level of Bad and Dangerous in sales, maybe even beyond them second only to Thriller.

I never thought of it that way. that makes a lot of sence...

I just hope that Number Ones gets best selling album of 2009 title. I mean, second...to Taylor Swift? she aiight, but dang! I think i know what my Birthday gifts to people are gonna be :D Killing two brids with one stone :punk:

There are some big albums and reissues coming out this year, so Mike may have some stiff competition. Taylor Swift is re-issuing her album too, I believe, so that could see her gain a boost in sales while Mike's could continue to tail off. IT really depends on how much media coverage Mike gets over the next few months, whether Sony promote Number Ones in the states, how well the movie/DVD/new album is received etc. He has done really well so far, but it's going to be tough to get the top spot IMO

Back