November 18 News and Mentionings

mariemarie

Guests
Dayum,The arab Prince and his lawsuit is all over the web. Hard to find any other news than what went on in court yesterday.

Clash of the Titans

For lovers of local music in Southern Maine, the phrase 'Clash of the Titans' no longer refers to a film pairing super hero against super hero, rather, it means a competition of super-bands, by local band members.

Beginning in 2006, local musicians began collaborating to perform evenings of cover songs by super-bands, pitting The Red Hot Chilli Peppers v. Oasis, Fleetwood Mac v. The Eagles, and Bob Dylan v. Bob Marley. Since this event has become a weekly staple,

Tuesday nights at the Big Easy are no longer quiet. In fact, for the recent Clash of the Titans: Prince v. Michael Jackson, more crowd arrived than the venue could physically, or legally hold. The music club was at capacity before the show began and a line extended from almost a block long.

"I saw the real Prince perform in the 90's in his prime," a Portland woman waiting in line outside told me, "and the line wasn't this long."

This week, anticipating another success, the Big Easy put on an encore Friday night performance of M.J. v. "The artist formally known as" and again, drew more of a crowd than the club could handle. Michael Jackson's band included fifteen performers, from backup singers to a brass section. Jackson, in all his glory, was played by Zach Jones, of The Pete Kilpatrick Band, and As Fast As.

"I can pretty much die happy now. I did moves last night I've been doing since I was six-years-old dancing in my basement," Jones said.

Prince embodied in Megan Jo Wilson, Portland singer-songwriter who put out her solo album "Seeds, Stars, Galaxies" in 2006. This talented singer was able to capture the raw sensuality that is the artist's trademark. Wearing ruffles and hitting all the high notes, the audience was thrilled by her performance, especially during "Purple Rain," "Little Red Corvette," and "Raspberry Beret." So thrilled, at one point, that a young lady in the audience threw her bra on stage. Staying in character, Wilson wrapped it around her microphone stand and carried on.

Whether or not you can gauge a performance by the items that get thrown onstage is questionable. The entire Big Easy was singing along, with fans belting out well-known lyrics. Because it was an encore, there was no winner announced, rather, a grand finale that included both bands in a triumphant decree of "We are the World."

If you want to pick future winners, the match-up next Tuesday will be INXS vs. The Killers. On November 25, Erykah Badu vs. Jill Scott. December 2 will feature Primus vs. Rush, and on December 9, ABBA vs. The Beegees. December 16 promises Tenacious D vs. Spinal Tap. The event begins at 9 p.m. for those 21 and older.

http://media.www.usmfreepress.org/m...tertainment/Clash.Of.The.Titans-3547828.shtml

Today in
Michael Jackson History

2000 - Rolling Stone magazin released a list of the "100 Greatest Pop Songs Since 1963." Michael Jackson had 4 songs on the list: "Billie Jean" (#5), "I Want You Back" by The Jackson 5 (#9), "Beat It" (#22) and "Rock With You" (#82).

2003 - The Michael Jackson album "Number Ones" was released. The album contained 18 songs including the song "One More Chance."

2004 - Mayfair Gallery, an antiques and furniture store, filed suit against Michael Jackson for failing to pay $178,875 of his bill from purchases in May 2004.

beat-it.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...t-personally-betrayed-by-jackson-1023857.html

Sheikh 'felt personally betrayed' by Jackson

[/i]
By Stephen Howard, Press Association
Tuesday, 18 November 2008

An Arab sheikh who spent a fortune on a project he thought would revive Michael Jackson's career felt "a strong sense of personal betrayal" when the pop superstar walked out on the deal, a court heard today.

Sheikh Abdulla bin Hamad Al Khalifa, second son of the King of Bahrain, is now suing Jackson for £4.7 million in the High Court in London to get back what he says he spent on the star.

Bankim Thanki QC, representing the sheikh, told Mr Justice Sweeney that his client had formed a "close personal relationship" with Jackson after he invited him, his children and personal staff to stay in Bahrain in June 2005.

Mr Thanki said Jackson had signed a contract for recording albums, writing an autobiography and staging shows in which it had been agreed that 7,000,000 US dollar (£4.7 million) would be deducted from Jackson's agreed royalties to pay for the expenses.

These included, he said, a £175,000 bill for motivational guru Tony Buzan who was flown into Bahrain to work with Jackson.

The star left Bahrain in May 2006 to go to Europe and Japan.

"The last thing Sheikh Abdulla expected was that he was never coming back," Mr Thanki said.

The following month, the sheikh was asked to sign a document releasing Jackson from his obligations under the contract but refused, the lawyer added.

"My client felt a strong sense of of personal betrayal because this was someone he considered a close personal friend. The work they had done together and the plans for the future all seemed to be totally frustrated," he said.

It emerged in court on the first day of the hearing yesterday that the sheikh had sent Jackson songs he had written and had tried to record one as a charity single for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. It was never released.

Jackson insists there was no valid agreement and that the sheikh's case is based on "mistake, misrepresentation and undue influence".
In his pleaded defence, Jackson says the payments he received were "gifts" and that no project was ever finalised.

At the start of a court hearing in London set to last for up to 12 days, Mr Justice Sweeney heard that an application would be made for Jackson to give evidence via video link from Los Angeles.

Sheikh Abdulla is the Governor of the Southern Governate of Bahrain and head of the country's Public Commission for the Protection of Marine Resources, Environment and Wildlife.

He is also the founder of the 2 Seas Group, an entertainment and record production label.

The sheikh is seeking repayment of the £4.7 million and/or damages for breach of contract, plus interest.

I do not know why these two men can not work this out. I have to agree that the Prince did help Michael out during a time when many turned their back on Michael; however, I hope the Prince did not do all of this to try to make Michael do anything especially if the Prince did it to help a friend and not for a motive. I am sadden by this case out of all the civil cases I have heard. Real Friendship should not be destroyed over something like this.

that prince dude really makes me sick :no: shame on him thats all i have to say

Bankim Thanki QC, representing the sheikh, told Mr Justice Sweeney that his client had formed a "close personal relationship" with Jackson after he invited him, his children and personal staff to stay in Bahrain in June 2005.

Mr Thanki said Jackson had signed a contract for recording albums, writing an autobiography and staging shows in which it had been agreed that 7,000,000 US dollar (£4.7 million) would be deducted from Jackson's agreed royalties to pay for the expenses.

"The last thing Sheikh Abdulla expected was that he was never coming back," Mr Thanki said.

The following month, the sheikh was asked to sign a document releasing Jackson from his obligations under the contract but refused, the lawyer added.

"My client felt a strong sense of of personal betrayal because this was someone he considered a close personal friend. The work they had done together and the plans for the future all seemed to be totally frustrated," he said.

It seems like the ONLY person talking in the courtroom is the Prince's attorney. Is he STILL giving his opening statement.

I mean, it's day 2, where are the WITNESSES for this case?

http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_11012589

Michael Jackson may be too ill to travel

LONDON—Michael Jackson may be too ill to travel to London to testify in a suit which claims he owes an Arab sheikh $7 million, the pop star's lawyer said Tuesday.

Sheikh Abdulla bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the second son of the king of Bahrain, claims that Jackson reneged on a contract for an album, a candid autobiography and a stage play, after accepting millions from the sheikh.

Al Khalifa was in court Tuesday for the second day of arguments and testimony, but Jackon is seeking to give his testimony by a video link from the United States.

"It would be unwise for him to travel, given what's he's got now," lawyer Robert Englehart said, but declined to elaborate "for the obvious reasons."

Al Khalifa's lawyer, Bankim Thanki, called the medical evidence presented by Jackson's legal team "very unsatisfactory."

"It's not the first time a sick note has been presented by Mr. Jackson," Thanki said.

Details of Jackson's purported malady wasn't disclosed, but Thanki suggested that the issue could be resolved by applying a dressing "if the diagnosis is positive."

Thanki did not elaborate after the court took a short break for lunch.

The case is being tried in London by mutual agreement, Al Khalifa's representatives have said. It is due to wrap up by the end of the month.

Al Khalifa felt betrayed when the pop star pulled out of the deal, Thanki said.

After Jackson left Bahrain, never to return, his publicist later called Al Khalifa to say Jackson no longer wanted any part of the contract. Thanki said.

"It's fair to say my client felt a considerable sense of betrayal by someone he thought was a close friend," Thanki said, adding that the sheikh, an amateur songwriter, also felt "a sense of professional failure."

Thanki said Al Khalifa and Jackson were planning to establish a joint venture to put out a new Michael Jackson album, an autobiography, and a stage play.

They hoped to make millions from the project—Jackson's autobiography, intended to be "a frank and personal account" of the singer's life, was alone expected to rack up $24 million, Thanki said. In the meanwhile, Al Khalifa gave Jackson millions of dollars to help shore up his finances and subsidize Jackson's lifestyle in the small Gulf state.

Thanki said Al Khalifa considered the money an advance on the profits Jackson would reap from their pop music project, but Englehart said the money was a gift.

"Sheikh Abdulla, fortunately for himself, had the resources to be so generous," Englehart said.

Englehart argued that Jackson wasn't bound by the deal he struck because the contract was technically signed on behalf of 2 Seas Records, a venture which never got off the ground.

"This (contract) was one brick in the building that was never built," Englehart said.

oi oi oi if it doesnt rain it poors.

well mj better not be out shopping for a while lol

Englehart argued that Jackson wasn't bound by the deal he struck because the contract was technically signed on behalf of 2 Seas Records, a venture which never got off the ground.

"This (contract) was one brick in the building that was never built," Englehart said.

Thanks TSCM.

Oh so now the plot thickens.

I guess this explains what happened to Guy Holmes. The 2 Seas Record deal didn't pan out, so Guy Holmes walked away.

Seems like the Prince couldn't get 2 Seas Records off of the ground, for whatever reason, but he STILL wanted MJ to be bound by the contract. He apparently didn't care about Guy Holmes, but he still wanted MJ.

It seems like the ONLY person talking in the courtroom is the Prince's attorney. Is he STILL giving his opening statement.

I mean, it's day 2, where are the WITNESSES for this case?

Exactly. All he's doing IMO is just repeating in essence what he said yesterday.

http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_11012589

Michael Jackson may be too ill to travel

LONDON—Michael Jackson may be too ill to travel to London to testify in a suit which claims he owes an Arab sheikh $7 million, the pop star's lawyer said Tuesday.

Sheikh Abdulla bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the second son of the king of Bahrain, claims that Jackson reneged on a contract for an album, a candid autobiography and a stage play, after accepting millions from the sheikh.

Al Khalifa was in court Tuesday for the second day of arguments and testimony, but Jackon is seeking to give his testimony by a video link from the United States.

"It would be unwise for him to travel, given what's he's got now," lawyer Robert Englehart said, but declined to elaborate "for the obvious reasons."

Al Khalifa's lawyer, Bankim Thanki, called the medical evidence presented by Jackson's legal team "very unsatisfactory."

"It's not the first time a sick note has been presented by Mr. Jackson," Thanki said.

Details of Jackson's purported malady wasn't disclosed, but Thanki suggested that the issue could be resolved by applying a dressing "if the diagnosis is positive."

Thanki did not elaborate after the court took a short break for lunch.

The case is being tried in London by mutual agreement, Al Khalifa's representatives have said. It is due to wrap up by the end of the month.

Al Khalifa felt betrayed when the pop star pulled out of the deal, Thanki said.

After Jackson left Bahrain, never to return, his publicist later called Al Khalifa to say Jackson no longer wanted any part of the contract. Thanki said.

"It's fair to say my client felt a considerable sense of betrayal by someone he thought was a close friend," Thanki said, adding that the sheikh, an amateur songwriter, also felt "a sense of professional failure."

Thanki said Al Khalifa and Jackson were planning to establish a joint venture to put out a new Michael Jackson album, an autobiography, and a stage play.

They hoped to make millions from the project—Jackson's autobiography, intended to be "a frank and personal account" of the singer's life, was alone expected to rack up $24 million, Thanki said. In the meanwhile, Al Khalifa gave Jackson millions of dollars to help shore up his finances and subsidize Jackson's lifestyle in the small Gulf state.

Thanki said Al Khalifa considered the money an advance on the profits Jackson would reap from their pop music project, but Englehart said the money was a gift.

"Sheikh Abdulla, fortunately for himself, had the resources to be so generous," Englehart said.

oh for crying out loud.

if these people are lying and making a big deal out of this, then i say : GO TO HELL LOSERS!

and if Michael however, is refusing to go and that may cause him some more trouble then...he needs to get serious about things like this.

then again if he is ill...get well.

Oh I see we are back to the Prince's wonderful song writing abilities. LOL!

He really shouldn't feel a "sense of PROFESSIONAL failure," because MJ is unwilling to sing his compositions.

If his songs are so good, I'm sure another singer would be more then happy to record one of his songs. Isn't Usher working on a new album, maybe the Prince can sell one of his songs to Usher. LOL!

what does this mean ? im so worried :cry:

This is a slight variation on a post I wrote in yesterday's thread. I decided to post it here as well.

This whole thing just stinks no matter who's to blame IMO. I like Michael alot and I will support him all the way. But I can't say I'm happy with either side's thinking in regard to this case. That being said, I think this is one time that Michael should settle. Sometimes he should pick his battles very carefully. This one isn't shaping up to be good for him so far. He should never have signed that document. And to me, the Prince is just as much at fault because he had no business rolling up on Michael with a disguised venture proposal to begin with when he knew that Michael was very traumatized and drained from (and during) the trial. And I think the Prince should be ashamed for his part in how this went down. But while he can just walk away with no public scrutiny after this is over, Michael has to deal with another wave of ridicule if he loses. And he doesn't need that with everything he's doing to put himself back on the music map again.

This is a slight variation on a post I wrote in yesterday's thread. I decided to post it here as well.

This whole thing just stinks no matter who's to blame IMO. I like Michael alot and I will support him all the way. But I can't say I'm happy with either side's thinking in regard to this case. That being said, I think this is one time that Michael should settle. Sometimes he should pick his battles very carefully. This one isn't shaping up to be good for him so far. He should never have signed that document. And to me, the Prince is just as much at fault because he had no business rolling up on Michael with a disguised venture proposal to begin with when he knew that Michael was very traumatized and drained from (and during) the trial. And I think the Prince should be ashamed for his part in how this went down. But while he can just walk away with no public scrutiny after this is over, Michael has to deal with another wave of ridicule if he loses. And he doesn't need that with everything he's doing to put himself back on the music map again.

FLAWLESS POST!:clapping:

i hate it how they tell us that hes sick but they dont tell us what hes got. dont they know his fans will get sick worried ?

i wouldnt worry its probably nothing he just doesnt want to come over and needs a reason

well if he doesnt want to come he is being serious. serious that he doesnt want to come over and frankly i cant blame him if it means losing the case than thats his decision.

Guys please note I've created a thread just for the trial lets move to that one. Thanks:yes:

Michael probably just doesn't want to get on a plane and travle to the other side of the freaking world over this ridiculous law suit. He can send a video taped testimony and have that be JUST as affective. If they want him in court, then its simply because they want attention for themselves.

hes saying it in the sense of it being true. princes lawyer thinks hes B.S ing

If they want him in court, then its simply because they want attention for themselves.
yeap

Back