November 07 - 09 (Update on post #40 for November 9, 2008)

World Music Awards 2008

Mike's been nominated for a WMA for 'Best Pop Male Artist' (i'd assume for Thriller 25). the awards show will be on this time tomorrow in Monaco.

http://www.worldmusicawards.com/

Nomines:

World Best Pop Female Artist:
- Leona Lewis
- Mariah Carey
- Madonna
- Rihanna

World Best Pop Male Artist:
- Kid Rock
- Michael Jackson
- James Blunt
- Enrique Iglesias

World Best Pop/Rock Female Artist:
- Amy Winehouse
- Pink
- Duffy
- Katy Perry

World Best Pop/Rock Male Artist:
- Kid Rock
- Lenny Kravitz
- James Blunt
- Jack Johnson

World Best Rock Act:
- Coldplay
- Metalica
- Kings Of Leon
- REM

World Best R&B Artist:
- Leona Lewis
- Alicia Keys
- Rihanna
- Mariah Carey

World Best New Artist:
- Katy Perry
- Leona Lewis
- Estelle
- Duffy

World Best Hip-Hop Artist:
- TI
- T-Pain
- Kanye West
- Lil Wayne

World Best D'J Artist:
- DJ Laurent Wolf
- DJ Tiesto
- Martin Solveig
- Frankie Knuckles

Legend Awards:
- L.A. Reid

Diamond Awards:
- Ringo Starr

Host:
- Jesse Metcalfe

Artist:
- Mariah Carey
- Beyonce
- Alicia Keys
- Akon
- Kid Rock
- Duffy
- Estelle
- The Script
- Solange
- Kate Ryan
- Nancy Ajram
- Anastacia
- Madcon
- Laurent Wolf
- Philip Kirkorov

Re: November 07 - 09 (Update on post #25 for November 8, 2008)

^^ Thanks for that info. I didn't know he was nominated.

Oh yeah, it's that time of the year again.

Kid Rock is considered POP?

Thanks for the list Arxter.

Last edited:

Yeah, now they gonna expect Mickey to show up! Poor people. What's a WMA without Mikey, I guess.

Michael is a hot commodity...

Janet didn't sellout and scrap tour , Tina Turner did good but no sell outs, Madonna will fair OK but no big sell outs, Timberlake did Ok and no big sell outs, Usher can't even give his tickets away even in smaller venues..........Michael is the last of the BIG GUNS...

watch if he does tour.. those tickets are goiing to F........L....Y...........

Wow, really? I notice I haven't heard much about Tina's tour. But I expect rock and rollers to show out for her and that's about it. Madonna, well, I just don't think she draws crowds like she used to. I don't like any of her new music. I like the old Madonna. Just like I like the old Janet.

Usher can't sell out? Damn. I knew his album wasn't doing so hot, but I guess he really did have his five minutes of fame. Timberlake I already knew was being hyped beyond his popularity. Michael can sell out. Michael's so different from other stars, he really is.

Usher can't sell out? Damn. I knew his album wasn't doing so hot, but I guess he really did have his five minutes of fame. Timberlake I already knew was being hyped beyond his popularity. Michael can sell out. Michael's so different from other stars, he really is.
Usher's new album is a bonafied flop! He really thought he was truely the next King of pop and Justine Timberlake thinks he is too. Usher is why better than Justine and both of them have nothing on Michael. I say Usher has 3 minutes left and Justine has 2 minutes left of that fame.:yes:

Yeah, now they gonna expect Mickey to show up! Poor people. What's a WMA without Mikey, I guess.

Wow, really? I notice I haven't heard much about Tina's tour. But I expect rock and rollers to show out for her and that's about it. Madonna, well, I just don't think she draws crowds like she used to. I don't like any of her new music. I like the old Madonna. Just like I like the old Janet.

Nah I heard parents and grandparents took their kids to see Tina. Tina still knockin' 'em dead, don't hate. :lol:

I know you're not "hating", but come on... :lol:

Usher's new album is a bonafied flop! He really thought he was truely the next King of pop and Justine Timberlake thinks he is too. Usher is why better than Justine and both of them have nothing on Michael. I say Usher has 3 minutes left and Justine has 2 minutes left of that fame.:yes:

Yeah, I think you're right about that. Usher is better then Justin, but the both of them seem to have had the wind knocked out of their sales without them even going up fully. It's just funny when you think about it. Yet here Michael is 40 years in and still outselling them and going strong. It shows both how exceptional Michael is and how unexceptional all the stars today are.

News and Mentionings are coming up in just a moment.

Michael Jackson Mentionings for November 9, 2008:

http://www.china.org.cn/culture/2008-11/09/content_16734964.htm

Born in 1966, Wang started her career as an entertainment reporter before she got involved in song writing, music production and concert planning.

She has conducted interviews with many international stars, including Michael Jackson, members of U2, Sting, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion and Zhang Ziyi.

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Local/2008/11/09/7350966-sun.html

The Boys also have a sense of humour about their place in the pop universe after all these years. When it came time for the band introductions, the fine guitarist went into the riff from Michael Jackson's Beat It. McLean took the cue for a little moonwalk. It was a nod, not a jab.

http://www.calendarlive.com/music/cl-ca-sheetmusic9-2008nov09,0,5148520.story

Rather than focusing on the grim financial situation, the pair would rather indulge in their gentle brand of gossip. Like the time Michael Jackson cleared the store for a quick bout of personal shopping or when Etta James' people called saying the legendary singer was in the studio waiting to record "At Last" and had forgotten the words.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/artic...hriller' dancers will wait for word on record

'Thriller' dancers will wait for word on record

function createQString(s) { return escape(s); } function stripHTML(s){ var re= //g return s.replace(re, "") } var Heading = "%27Thriller%27%20dancers%20will%20wait%20for%20word%20on%20record"; var strippedHeading = stripHTML(Heading); var tempTitle = createQString(strippedHeading); var ArticleTitle = "&t="+tempTitle;

Close to 700 “Thriller” dancers were on the field at halftime of the University of Northern Colorado’s football game Saturday, but it could be months before they learn if they broke a world record.

UNC Marching Band Director Dick Mayne said the record was set a few days ago, with 87 people dancing to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” but to set a new Guinness World Record everyone has to repeat the dance perfectly.

“If a dancer does something wrong, they don’t count that dancer,” Mayne said.

The dancers included the 160 band members, plus 540 high school students from around the state.

Now, Mayne has to send the videos of the event, plus affidavits from witnesses, to the Guinness judges before they can learn if they broke the record.

He expects to hear back from the judges within a few months.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/serv...alandstate/orl-death0908nov09,0,6108589.story

Just like Mickey's big-eared fair lady, Minnie Fortuna Goodson put smiles on people's faces while working at Walt Disney World for more than 15 years.

The former merchandise purchaser did more than stock Disney stores with first-aid and hygiene products.

She helped and chatted with park visitors, including Michael Jackson, and employees. She was a mother figure to many cast members, said her daughter, Tracy Goodson, 50, of Belle Isle, who is a Disney international sales representative.

http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articleID=141917

His prestigious career includes producing Bob Dylan’s “30th Anniversary Concert Celebration” at Madison Square Garden, Michael Jackson’s “The Dangerous Tour” live in Bucharest, “Amnesty International: Human Rights Now,” and specials for Madonna, Prince, Eric Clapton and Elton John.

Michael Jackson HIStory for November 9, 2008:

1982 - The story book album for "E.T.: The Extraterrestrial" was released. It contained narration and a new song from Michael Jackson.

1987 - Michael Jackson's album "Bad" was certified Gold and 3 times Platinum by the RIAA.

A big thanks to the news team for this weekends news and mentionings.
Fingers crossed for the Thriller dancers......I hope they manage to set a new record.
Thanks for the WMA info, words fail me regarding the other nominees.......how can they possibly compete against MJ, he is eons above these guys....I have nothing against them......but!!

i found more news on WMA :yes: and others too :yes: :)

here is website:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2258584533

MICHAEL JACKSON NOMINATED FOR WMA

Michael Jackson is one of the nominees for the World Music Awards 2008. He is nominated in the category "World's Best Pop Male Artist" - together with Kid Rock, Enrique Iglesias, and James Blunt.

There is no word on whether Michael will be at the ceremony or not at this stage. Michael is not listed as one of the performers for the show.

The World Music Awards 2008 will take place in Monaco on November 9, 2008.

Broadcasting times:

Africa - Live
Middle East - Live
USA - 2nd December on MyNetworkTV
Ireland - 16th November on RTE 2
UK - 21st November on Channel 4 (with a repeat on T4).

------------------------------------------------
‘THRILLER’ SELLING EXTREMELY WELL

It was an excellent week for the 'Thriller' album! It jumped from #47 to #1 on the US Billboard Top Pop Catalog Albums chart after selling 31,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan (a 1,000% increase). This makes it the greatest gainer of the week on this chart.

The set is 2008's top-selling catalog album, having shifted 688,000 copies.

-------------------------------------------------
JONES: “WE WENT ALL THE WAY TO MICHAEL’S SOUL

In an interview to CNN, producer Quincy Jones talked about his past collaborations with Michael Jackson:

CNN: You are, arguably, best known for producing Michael Jackson. How did that come about?

Quincy Jones: When I was a musical director we were working together on a film project. He asked me to help him find a producer for his first solo album.

Watching him was incredible. He would learn everybody else's parts -- the dialogues, the songs, the dance steps -- and I saw something in him. I saw a part of him that had never been exposed before.

We went all the way to Michael's soul at that time and it was an amazing experience. [...]

CNN: Tell us about recording the song "We are the World" in 1985 to raise money for the famine in Ethiopia.

Quincy Jones: Lionel Richie (who co-wrote the song with Michael Jackson) called and asked me to be involved in a project to help Africa. I guess they wanted somebody who was crazy enough to work with lots of different people. Everybody flocked to record this song, including Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Dan Aykroyd, Bob Geldof...

Click on the link below to read the complete interview:-
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/11/04/quincy.interview/index.html?section=cnn_latest

--------------------------------------------
DUET NOT TO APPEAR ON AKON’S ALBUM

In an interview to Take 40, Akon stated that his duet with Michael Jackson - 'Hold My Hand' - will not be appearing as a track on Akon's new album.

Akon said that despite reports the track 'Hold My Hand' would feature on his album, it has now been canned from the final cut.

"The track 'Hold My Hand' was leaked on the internet and it spoiled a lot of things we had planned for the record.

Collectively we felt that, with a collaboration like that, and his (Michael Jackson's) first time coming back after a long time, it needed to be done properly. We decided we need to invest in the future and figure out another way to come, even if we have to come with a new record."

------------------------------------------------
HANGMAN’S HOUSE OF HORRORS VIDEO

As we reported earlier, Hangman’s House of Horrors, one of the top-rated haunted attractions in the USA, took part in 'Thrill The World'.

Click on the link below and scroll down to the first video to watch the video they made of their performance:-
http://www.hangmans.com/thrill_the_world.html

Yeah Usher's fallen off.

Tina Turner on the other hand, who is turning 69 on November 26 mind you, is doing mighty alright for herself. :)

yeah, I went to see Tina and she was awesome...and the arena was full...

Tina is playing a 20k seat arena where i live in Atlanta and she's sold out both dates, whereas Usher is playing a very small place here and is struggling i think the place only holds about a 1k, it's very shocking when only 3 years ago he was the biggest thing going.

EDIT: Just found out the place Usher is struggling holds roughly 2300, still it's stunning giving how far he's fallen.

Tina is a legend and has obvious staying power, but with Usher, yeah, that is strange. But its the way it works and it's how you seperate the true talent from the flashes in the pan. I said when Chris Brown came out, "There's Usher's replacement", and bam, I was right. Of course, Chris Brown will be replaced soon enough too. Because they're desposable talent, they aren't special, they have nothing unique to offer. Too bad, but sort of predictable. It seems like whenever they start trying to replace Michael with whoever, that's when they fall off the face of the earth, lol. 2000 seats shouldn't be hard to fill if you're truly on top and popular.

Back