Nice article about Michael in Good Housekeeping.

ElleBella

Proud Member
I just got my Good Housekeeping in the mail and there is a nice article about Michael. Forgive me if there are any typos, I'm on my phone since my computer is being fixed.

Explaing Michael Jackson
His talent wowed my sons. His appearance bewildered them.

Two years ago, in December 2007, my husband brought home a magazing featuring Michael Jackson on the cover. Our city is home to many celebs, but my immediate reaction was to hiss, "Hide that thing before the kids see it!" My husband instantly understood and tucked it into his bag.
Let me explain: A few months earlier, I was watching VH1 Classics with the kids when Jackson's "Beat It" video came on. My sons, then 4 and 6, asked "mommy, who is THAT?" "That's Michael Jackson" I replied. "Michael Jackson" they breathed reverently. I knew how they felt. That "Off the Wall" and "Thriller" era IS amazing. When I told my younger son I couldn't just make the channel replay the video, he threw a tantrum. Later, I heard him chanting "I'm Michael Jackson!" and "Beat it! Beat it!" My husband was thrilled to dig out his dusty VHS tapes of Jackson videos as well as footage of the TV show where Michael first moonwalked.
By the time my boys viewed his 1987 video "Smooth Criminal", they were confused. "Are you sure that's him?" my elder son asked. O told him yes, but he insisted it couldn't be. His brother agreed, proclaiming, "Michael Jackson looks like me!"
I never imagined I'd need to strategize on how to talk to my Aferican-American sons about Michael Jacksons transformation. I didn't want my kids to think their looks needed to be changed,too. When they asked me to rewind "Beat It", I was happly to comply; happy to go back to a Michael who resembled a black man.
And so, for a few months in our home, Michaels features became frozen in time- until that magazine got left in the bathroom. When my elder son asked who was on the cover, I felt like a parent finally telling her child Santa Claus doesn't exist. buy my son started laughing and declared, "Michael Jackson's not a white lady!"
I wished I could tell him I was joking. Instead, I shared what Michael had said, that a disease had made him lose his skin color. I said he'd done what a lot of people do when they're unhappy with the way they look: altered his appearance with makeup, wigs and surgery. My son wistfully touched the magazine, " Do you think he wishes he could still be brown like me?" I told him what I hoped was true:"yes"
A week after Michael's death, our family visited the Hollywood Walk of Fame, where my elder son voiced what so many feel: "Ehat he looked like doesn't matter any more, does it?" It will always matter- as a lesson on what racism and self-hatered can do to someone. But, Michaels passing brought us back to his essence.
"It doesn't matter as much" I said. "Besides, we'll always be able to enjoy his music and creativity".
Gazing at the flowers and notes laid around Michael's star, my don said, "And love his spirit."

written by blogger: Liz Dwyer and in Octobers Goodhousekeeping

That is such a lovely story. That is a great example why Michael loved children so much. They loved him no matter what he looked like or whatever he has been through. They love the simple things, just the great music and phenomenal dancing that Michael embodied.

Last edited:
very touching! thank you for posting. Mike always had an effect on children and vice versa.

That almost made me tear up, children are so honest. How precious :)

Do most peeps have a hard describing Mike to young children? From my experience with young kids they just accepted that Mike from '84 and Mike from '96 was the same person without mockery or question. they saw him perform, sing and dance, and knew it was the same person.

Only time I've heard comments has been from older kids who have already been geared toward that mockery of him by the press.

Maybe I was a dumb kid, but it never bothered me a bit when his skin got lighter. I kinda didn't even notice. I jus' thought that Michael was magical and could do anything no one else could simply cuz he was Michael Jackson, so I never wondered about his appearance.

Anyway nice article. It jus' goes to show ya that Michael has been culturally relevant not just becusae of his musical brilliance but becuz he has time and time again made people re-evaluate themselves and our society.

Do most peeps have a hard describing Mike to young children? From my experience with young kids they just accepted that Mike from '84 and Mike from '96 was the same person without mockery or question. they saw him perform, sing and dance, and knew it was the same person.

Only time I've heard comments has been from older kids who have already been geared toward that mockery of him by the press.

Maybe I was a dumb kid, but it never bothered me a bit when his skin got lighter. I kinda didn't even notice. I jus' thought that Michael was magical and could do anything no one else could simply cuz he was Michael Jackson, so I never wondered about his appearance.

Anyway nice article. It jus' goes to show ya that Michael has been culturally relevant not just becusae of his musical brilliance but becuz he has time and time again made people re-evaluate themselves and our society.

So sweet and sooo true!!! It was the same with me when I was younger. It seems like I never noticed or somehow couldn't care less!!! Even at 12 years old or so it was never anything that bothered me or that I in any way questioned.

The ONLY thing that ever came to my mind when seeing him was that there was NO ONE in the world AS BEAUTIFUL and ATTRACTIVE as Michael Jackson!!! :wub:

Anyway nice article. It jus' goes to show ya that Michael has been culturally relevant not just because of his musical brilliance but becuz he has time and time again made people re-evaluate themselves and our society.
I was born during the bad era. When I saw the skin changes(pre-thriller and black and white) I thought he bleached his skin(this was before I heard of vitiligo). I just accepted MJ in all forms and continued to love him, because MJ was a good person and a great artist. I think newer generation of kids will do the same when they become exposed to MJ.

Last edited:
thanks for this.

im 21 now. when i was a lot younger i though michael looked like a woman :doh: i think it was because he had long hair and id never seen a man with long hair before! and we're taught girls have long hair, boys have short hair.

i never questioned his skin tone change.. just accepted it i guess.

I remember reading the original article back in 2007/08. I'm so happy her sons said that in the end looks didn't matter, because I remember her two sons being quite shocked, because they imagined that Ebony Michael would still look like Motown 25 Michael. I'm happy they realized that it never was about looks, it was all about his music and personality. I'm glad they looked further than just his looks (altho I think Mike was the hottest man walking around this world) and focussed on what made them admire him in the first place...his music and dance.

Oh for crying out loud I am sick of hearing things like this people claiming that their kids was confuse about Michael's appearance. The ones who make the big issue are not the kids, but the adults. I have over a dozen nieces and nephews and none of them ever asked about his changing appearance. They were only interested in his music.
I am a Teacher and i have alway listen to kids conversation about Michael none of them ever seem concern by the appearanc. And I deal with hundreds of kids every day.

Why do ppl always assume that MJ was full of self hatred. Why couldn't be something else, like changeing his looks so that he may not be recognized as much. Mike was always taking photos of himself on all his album, he could not of hated his appearance that much if he always did that.

For this kid to question MJ's appearance in smooth criminal does not make sense MJ was still black then, he just had longer hair.

great post!!!

my niece hasn't even noticed. she recognizes him in both his "guises". he's just MichaelJacksonhessoawesome!! to her. :love:

Thanks for posting this, it was so lovely to read!
Ive never been a person to judge people quickly, Mike taught me that! Thats also why i fell in love with him, not just because of the music or the dancing or his beauty, i hung to his attitude because i was growing up around so many negative people i felt like he was a rock, he showed me how i should be and i just love him for it, he showed me how to be a good person a loving person,i dont no if what ive just typed makes any sense, because my heart can say alot of mumbo jumbo, but there it is!

Thanks for posting this, it was so lovely to read!
Ive never been a person to judge people quickly, Mike taught me that! Thats also why i fell in love with him, not just because of the music or the dancing or his beauty, i hung to his attitude because i was growing up around so many negative people i felt like he was a rock, he showed me how i should be and i just love him for it, he showed me how to be a good person a loving person,i dont no if what ive just typed makes any sense, because my heart can say alot of mumbo jumbo, but there it is!

:wub:

exactly.

Back in the 80s I remember always loving Michael Jackson. I didn't care what he had looked like. But the one thing that did surprise me. Was back in the late 80s when I saw that his skin was a lighter colored. And I knew right away that he had a skin disorder. I was really happy about that. Because I had finally found someone in my life that was just like me in away. The skin disorder that I have is Eczema. Thanks for posting that nice story.

thanks for this.

im 21 now. when i was a lot younger i though michael looked like a woman :doh: i think it was because he had long hair and id never seen a man with long hair before! and we're taught girls have long hair, boys have short hair.

i never questioned his skin tone change.. just accepted it i guess.

The same thing happened to me until my dad told me otherwise, It was around the dangerous era when I saw "remember the time", I still am embarrassed about that even though I was 4 years old. :( :doh: I still hate that moment that I did. :cry: He was the first guy with long hair that I saw.

Yeah, that's how I was when I was a kid as well. I didn't know why he looked different, but I didn't seem to care. I loved him all the same. I'm glad so many in the younger generations are discovering him and falling in love with him now. :) Great article btw, thanks for sharing.

Oh for crying out loud I am sick of hearing things like this people claiming that their kids was confuse about Michael's appearance. The ones who make the big issue are not the kids, but the adults. I have over a dozen nieces and nephews and none of them ever asked about his changing appearance. They were only interested in his music.
I am a Teacher and i have alway listen to kids conversation about Michael none of them ever seem concern by the appearanc. And I deal with hundreds of kids every day.

Why do ppl always assume that MJ was full of self hatred. Why couldn't be something else, like changeing his looks so that he may not be recognized as much. Mike was always taking photos of himself on all his album, he could not of hated his appearance that much if he always did that.

For this kid to question MJ's appearance in smooth criminal does not make sense MJ was still black then, he just had longer hair.

clap2.gif

Yay!!! Well said!!!

All I will say about this article is that people need to stop foisting their own sense of inferiority on to Michael Jackson.

Last edited:
no...i don't like the article. it speaks to a sad state in humanity. that you can't get past how a person looks. as an african american, i feel the writer of the article is very insecure. it makes me wish we were all blind, and would genuinely look inside for the spirit, and not wait for someone to die, before getting an 'epiphany'. it makes the 'epiphany' seem very very phony.

vncwilliam - I did not like the article either, at least I should say I do not like the position taken by the writer. Her child said that Michael said he had a skin disease but instead of acknowledging that she decides that Michael's changed appearance was the result of self-hatred and hatred of his race.

Hopefully her son will continue to search to find the truth about Michael and gently inform his mother that her views are ignorant and do suggest a personal failing on her part more so than Michael's.

*deep breaths* having hormonal issues today.

^^^I agree, I actually HATE the article sadly because of the reasons you mentioned. The woman who wrote it is a dope who doesn't get that Michael love is proud of being black and doesn't suffer from self hate. :mat: I hope her sun teaches her ignorant butt about Mike.

Last edited:
Haha, I totally misread the title of this thread when I first saw it..I though it said an article about Michael's good Housekeeping :lol: god i am an air head. Going to read the article now, hehe

Back