New MoFi 'Off The Wall' Master One-Step Pressing Announced

Not everything has to be a "limited edition super deluxe box set". That's emphasizing quantity over quality. I'd rather forget the filler and have the best possible sound quality (ie Dolby Atmos, multichannel, high bitrate). I'm not interested in having a photocopy of a ticket to a concert I didn't attend, and I'm not interested in having a postcard or a ribbon or a guitar pick or a magazine cover or a piece of chalk. That's just gimmicky nonsense.

Not only that, but putting things in a boxset like that means I'm far less likely actually to play any of the discs. Example: Nirvana's eagerly-anticipated boxset - I've got a copy, but it's never been in my car, etc. it's stuck on a shelf, separate from all my other music (because it doesn't fit), and I kinda forget about it.

Oh, and that price, lol.

Another Nirvana example - the recent anniversaries of both Nevermind and In Utero, both came with 4 full concerts on CD/DVD. But the price was so high, and the numbers were so limited that I couldn't get a copy in my local store. If they'd sold each concert separately, at the going rate (ie $15 each), and actually made them available, I would happily have added them to my collection, but alas, they lost the sale.

Same thing with releases from REM and Beatles and GNR. If you're not gonna properly release something, why create it in the first place?
You can buy all the remastered albums separately from my example of Metallica. I posted all that for people that LIKE the bonus stuff like I and many others do as well as getting the best possible sounding remastered version of the album that is features (the Metallica remasters are eye openingly amazing!!). Cool bonus stuff from the era of the album is a favorite of mine, but as you have pointed out its not for everyone. But with an artist like MJ, there should be more out there. At the very least we could have options to buy deluxe versions purchase all that great stuff! Hell, even a big digital download would be great!

The way I see it, it's two separate products.

If you wanna buy the remastered album, you should be able to buy the remastered album without having to buy the outtakes.

If you wanna buy the outtakes, you should be able to buy the outtakes without having to buy the remixes and duets.

If you wanna buy the remixes and duets, you should be able to buy the remixes and duets without having to buy the surround sound.

If you wanna buy the surround sound, you should be able to buy the surround sound without having to buy the live concerts.

If you wanna buy the live concerts...

You see? Bundling things together into a $240 package is always a bad idea.

The way I see it, it's two separate products.

If you wanna buy the remastered album, you should be able to buy the remastered album without having to buy the outtakes.

If you wanna buy the outtakes, you should be able to buy the outtakes without having to buy the remixes and duets.

If you wanna buy the remixes and duets, you should be able to buy the remixes and duets without having to buy the surround sound.

If you wanna buy the surround sound, you should be able to buy the surround sound without having to buy the live concerts.

If you wanna buy the live concerts...

You see? Bundling things together into a $240 package is always a bad idea.
Not when those $240 sets sell well for the target audience.

Back