New Line of Collectible Memorabilia to Feature the King of Pop, Michael Jackson

Kuzeh

Proud Member
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bravado-partners-with-playmates-toys-80630302.html

Bravado Partners With Playmates Toys

New Line of Collectible Memorabilia to Feature the King of Pop, Michael Jackson

NEW YORK, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Bravado, the world's leading global music merchandising company, has completed an agreement with Playmates Toys whereby they will create a signature line of figures and dolls for the most successful entertainer of all time, Michael Jackson.

"We are delighted to expand our successful line of Michael Jackson collectible memorabilia by working with Lou and his innovative team at Playmates Toys," stated Tom Bennett, Chief Executive Officer of Bravado. "This new line truly celebrates Michael's unmistakable style and irreplaceable talent. Bringing in Playmates as a licensee only further cements Michael's retail visibility and helps commemorate and preserve the legacy that is Michael Jackson."

"Michael Jackson as a global icon leaves a legacy in music, dance and fashion that remain unrivaled," added Lou Novak, President of Playmates Toys. "We will honor his talent and his art expression by delivering a spectacular, highly detailed product line to inspire fans, collectors and new found enthusiasts."

Michael's incomparable style comes to life as Playmates rolls out an authentic collection replicating iconic images with cool "Michael" dance poses, music and embellished fashions. First wave will launch in 2010.

About Bravado

Bravado, the only global, 360° full service merchandise company, develops and markets high-quality licensed merchandise to a world-wide audience. The company works closely with new & established entertainment clients, creating innovative products carefully tailored to each artist or brand. Product is sold on live tours, via selected retail outlets and through web-based stores. Bravado also licenses rights to an extensive network of third party licensees around the world. The company maintains offices in London, Los Angeles, New York, Berlin, Paris, Tokyo and Sydney. In addition to Michael Jackson, Bravado artists include The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Kanye West, Beyonce, No Doubt, Nickelback, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Elton John, Guns 'N Roses, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Green Day and The Killers, among many others.

About Playmates Toys

For over 40 years, Playmates Toys, is among the most well respected and innovative marketing and distribution companies in the global toy industry with a proven history in the creation of innovative and imaginative products as well as the development and management of profitable, long-term brand franchises. Key brands include TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, STAR TREK, SIMPSONS, KING KONG, TOMB RAIDERS, DICK TRACY, EXOSQUAD, NANO PALS, iCARLY, DISNEY PRINCESS, DISNEY FAIRIES, BABY SO BEAUTIFUL, WATERBABIES and the AMAZING family of intelligent dolls. From its offices in Hong Kong and California, Playmates designs, develops, markets and distributes its products in over 60 countries worldwide.

SOURCE Universal Music Group

:clapping: hope these are cheaper than those Hot Toys figures

They will definitely be...
Quality will be cheap for sure too...

yea the quality on the other toys look horrible compared to the hot toys ones

When I was younger I used to collect tons of action figures (Ghostbusters, Turtles, Jurassic Park, Aliens, Simpsons, Star Wars, etc.) - I used to think "how cool would it be to have an MJ action figure?" I know in the past we've had (singing) dolls and (majorly expensive) models, but action figures will be smaller than these and cheaper!

My inner child is really excited at the possibilities of figure and costume: Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean, Bad, TWYMMF, DD, BoW, RTT, Sceam, Earth Song, BotDF, Ghosts, YRMW, TII! :)

This is bad news. Playmates quality is really poor and they don't make collectible type figures, the only make toy type figures. Whatever they come up with will pale in comparisson to the Hot Toys figures.

I mean the only people that would probably buy MJ figures and dolls would be hard core MJ fan and collectors. A casual fan wouldn't buy an MJ doll. So if your product is going to be sold to hard core fans and collectors, it better be a quality product. And quality is not something Playmates is known for.

This is good news to me, as I don't have a MJ doll (action figure for us guys) of any nature. I've done research looking for pictures of the ones that they were selling during the 80's, thinking "wow, I'd die to have one of these things", despite the quality compared to the hot toys ones. I just like the nostalgia feel of older toy designs, I'm pretty stoked for these.

Hot Toys figures might be pricey, but you get something that is really your money's worth. I bet these Playmates figures aren't gonna be anything special. If they are...i'd be surprised.

Alright!!!
At last some news about this line...

These are 10" figures (bummer),
they look pretty good though, not as good as HT, but still considering they are mass market items
should be a nice addition to the collection!!

Playmates Toys Announces Details About New Michael Jackson Collectibles
by Jay Cochran in Playmates at 10:43 AM on 2010.07.14

The first product details are being revealed from Playmates Toys who earlier this year signed a deal with Bravado, the world's leading global music merchandising company, to create collectibles based on the most successful entertainer of all time, Michael Jackson.

“We are delighted to expand our successful line of Michael Jackson collectible memorabilia by working with the innovative team at Playmates Toys,” stated Tom Bennett, Chief Executive Officer of Bravado. “This new line truly celebrates Michael’s unmistakable style and irreplaceable talent. Bringing in Playmates as a licensee only further cements Michael’s retail visibility and helps commemorate and preserve the legacy that is Michael Jackson.”

Michael’s incomparable style comes to life as Playmates rolls out the unique new 10” scale collectible which captures his likeness and the incredible fashions which have become legendary. The first 10” style will be Billie Jean which captures the bold and flashy outfit worn in the short film. The second 10” collectible is Thriller featuring the iconic red with black trim outfit from the most famous short film of all time. These two styles will launch in Fall 2010 followed by additional styles shortly after. The Michael Jackson Billie Jean and Thriller collectibles will be on display at the Diamond Comics booth #2401 at San Diego Comic Con for the duration of the show.

22305-Thriller-Ad__scaled_600.jpg

22301-Billie-Jean-Ad__scaled_600.jpg

The Billie Jean figure looks pretty nice!!!
The Jacket in the Thriller one looks quite a bit over-sized though.

The toys look decent but Thriller era again? Give us a break! Why not Dangerous era MJ or HIStory era MJ? It's always Thriller Thriller Thriller

Sorry for bitching but i'm really sick of Thriller now

/\/\ Agreed, although this wasn't quite what I was expecting, these do look pretty cool. But TWO Thriller era styles?!! I know they promised "more to come" but why launch with 2 designs from the same era?

Also, with these being 10'' and with fabric clothing, aren't they a little similar to the Hot Toys line? (albeit not produced to the same quality standard) Wouldn't it have been better - and offer more variety - if they were "action figure" size?

Does anybody know roughly how much they'll sell for?

The toys look decent but Thriller era again? Give us a break! Why not Dangerous era MJ or HIStory era MJ? It's always Thriller Thriller Thriller

This are mass market products... most people are fans of that era... it makes sense from a business stand point...

/\/\ Agreed, although this wasn't quite what I was expecting, these do look pretty cool. But TWO Thriller era styles?!! I know they promised "more to come" but why launch with 2 designs from the same era?

Also, with these being 10'' and with fabric clothing, aren't they a little similar to the Hot Toys line? (albeit not produced to the same quality standard) Wouldn't it have been better - and offer more variety - if they were "action figure" size?

Does anybody know roughly how much they'll sell for?

Again these are mass market, miles away from the quality of HT, most people wouldn't buy HT products due to the price tag alone... I think this will be in the $30.00-$50.00 USD range

That Billie Jean one looks goooood...........although I would prefer a straight-faced Michael...............because Billie Jean is not a song to be smiling about!!!!!

But still coooooooooooool!!!!!!

I hope they send lots of them to Blanket. He seems to love his action figures.

they are ok looking, so u wouldn't mind buying them for 20 bucks, unlike the Japanese dolls hot toys which are hundreds and don't even look like him... good clothes, bad face!

take the words right out of my mouth. what the hell! thriller era again?????????
crap quality, odd looking somemore.

take the words right out of my mouth. what the hell! thriller era again?????????
crap quality, odd looking somemore.

Indeeeed!
Why always that Thriller era. The Bad and Dangerous era is waaay better in my opinion
I want to see an Another Part of Me (Live) figure as you see in my sig. That's his best outfit i think. It's my fave since i was 8 years old and i'm now 34 :)

Aww wow, I'm really into MJ dolls/action figures, I have a nice little collection going on and can't wait to get my hands on the new Hot Toys BAD version!!
These new ones look really nice- they're much, much better than I expected. I'm assuming they will be a lot more affordable than the HT figures so that makes it a lot better for fans. If they're released in the UK, I will be buying both!

Hopefully these will be the first two in the range, fingers crossed they have more to come.

The Billie Jean figure is nice. It's nice to see something from the Billie Jean music video instead of the usual outfit from the Motown 25 performance.

I wonder what type of stores these will be sold in? At first I though it would be in stores like Toys R Us, but then they are supposed to be individually numbered. So will they only be in collector shops?

Indeeeed!
Why always that Thriller era. The Bad and Dangerous era is waaay better in my opinion
I want to see an Another Part of Me (Live) figure as you see in my sig. That's his best outfit i think. It's my fave since i was 8 years old and i'm now 34 :)
thank you. finally someone here agrees with me. It's not that I like to moan about all these releases , but the estate and other businesses focus way too much on Thriller era is making me sick. The Thriller jacket is making me sick.

This are mass market products... most people are fans of that era... it makes sense from a business stand point...

Again these are mass market, miles away from the quality of HT, most people wouldn't buy HT products due to the price tag alone... I think this will be in the $30.00-$50.00 USD range

NOT really. Most casual fans like Thriller era but the casual fans aren't ones who'd buy MJ collectables. Only dies hards would and most die hards love post Thriller ERA MJ esp BAD, DAngerous and then HIStory. So in conclusion, their market is actually make up of die hards who prefer post Thriller era MJ to Thriller era MJ.

and I don't mind paying more for better quality products. I love HOT TOYS and I have the BJ figure and have preordered BAD figure which is by far the best MJ figure that's ever been put out.

thank you. finally someone here agrees with me. It's not that I like to moan about all these releases , but the estate and other businesses focus way too much on Thriller era is making me sick. The Thriller jacket is making me sick.

How could they release a new range of dolls without Thriller??
I have been doing my research and they are making more versions of these playmates dolls. Who knows what's coming next? No one is asking you to buy Thriller, buy the BJ one instead? Or wait until you know what the next versions are... you might just be surprised.
I for one, was not expecting a Billie Jean music video version, and I am pleased that they have made one.

NOT really. Most casual fans like Thriller era but the casual fans aren't ones who'd buy MJ collectables. Only dies hards would and most die hards love post Thriller ERA MJ esp BAD, DAngerous and then HIStory. So their market is actually make up of die hards who don't prefer post Thriller era to Thriller era.

and I don't mind paying more for better quality products. I love HOT TOYS and I have the BJ figure and have preordered BAD figure which is by far the best MJ figure that's ever been put out.

"Die Hard" fans will not be the only target market for these dolls. How do you know that the "casual" fans of the Thriller era would not buy this?? Yes, its a collectable but it is a CHEAP collectable, so what is stopping them? If they like it, its in their price range, then they'll buy it, surely? Its not as if they have to part with £140+ like the Hot Toys collection.

And like I've just said, there is more to come within this range so we might see more versions using the BAD, Dangerous and History eras.

You might be able to afford Hot Toys dolls but there's probably thousands who cannot or would not part with that sort of money for an action figure, so these will be better for those fans who want an MJ action figure that is much more affordable.

I really think they're great.

How could they release a new range of dolls without Thriller??
I have been doing my research and they are making more versions of these playmates dolls. Who knows what's coming next? No one is asking you to buy Thriller, buy the BJ one instead? Or wait until you know what the next versions are... you might just be surprised.
I for one, was not expecting a Billie Jean music video version, and I am pleased that they have made one.
Why can't they release it without Thriller since MJ's not all about Thriller? The BJ one is of thriller also, nothing to be excited about.

Why can't they release it without Thriller since MJ's not all about Thriller? The BJ one is of thriller also, nothing to be excited about.

Everyone knows that both Thriller & Billie Jean were the most groundbreaking music videos of that time and are still seen as amazing and iconic videos now. And lets not forget that Thriller still holds the record of most albums sold in the World ever. Why would they leave them out? Why would they ignore this?
Just because you are sick of the Thriller era, doesn't mean everybody else is.

and like I keep saying, you don't know what else is to come in this range, they might release dolls from every album/era. We will just have to wait and see.

But if you are not at all interested in these dolls, please don't spoil the excitement for others who are interested.

Hopefully this are more affordable that the Hot Toys figures. MJ dolls were so resonable before he passed, then they just became really unaffordable.

Hopefully this are more affordable that the Hot Toys figures. MJ dolls were so resonable before he passed, then they just became really unaffordable.

On that website previously posted, the dolls are up for $39.99 which is around £26. Very reasonable price tag! :)

Everyone knows that both Thriller & Billie Jean were the most groundbreaking music videos of that time and are still seen as amazing and iconic videos now. And lets not forget that Thriller still holds the record of most albums sold in the World ever. Why would they leave them out? Why would they ignore this?
Just because you are sick of the Thriller era, doesn't mean everybody else is.

and like I keep saying, you don't know what else is to come in this range, they might release dolls from every album/era. We will just have to wait and see.

But if you are not at all interested in these dolls, please don't spoil the excitement for others who are interested.

Everyone knows that Bad, Dangerous and HIStory are also iconic figures. Outside the U.S. they are as popular as Thriller. In some places, more famous.

In my country Black or White was always dearer than Thriller, even with the manipulation of the press.

These companies of idiots are losing millions of dollars by ignoring the other phases of MJ's career.

I was just pointing out that Thriller should not be ignored in a range of dolls based on MJ as previously stated by another member.
I also think Bad, Dangerous, HIStory etc should be included in the range.

I just think people are judging too soon before seeing what other figures they have in store for us.

I would LOVE a Smooth Criminal version - I've got my fingers crossed that they'll make one.

Back