New El DeBarge interview

DuranDuran

Proud Member
This is from the Brian McKnight show.
[youtube]Kd4556hIzzU&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]VDIdgIk0U0M&fmt=18[/youtube]

DuranDuran: I appreciate you posting this as it's something I would have missed otherrwise! Time Will Reveal is one of my favs! I glad he is doing better now. I hope he continues to & hopefully do an album in the future.

lol...what's this with dude sayin 'put light skin brothers back on the map' and stuff? lol

it was what Brian McKnight said, when introducing El Debarge before he played and sang.

LOL, it must have been a joke. It seems like their light skin was a big deal to some back in the day.

LOL, it must have been a joke. It seems like their light skin was a big deal to some back in the day.
Yeah, it was a joke. But there has been a tension between dark & light skin blacks for decades in the US.

cool interview and good performance. El Debarge was one big hit from being where Babyface was. El Debarge was a beast back in the day. can write, sing and play just didn't stay strong from within himself as a Artist but the man is Badd.

huge fan.

yeah America is Color struck and black on black goes all the way back to the plantation nothing new. color struck sad to say.

oooooooooh, EL!!!! *sigh*
I gotta come back and watch this when I'm not in the computer lab!!! :)
thanks!

Yeah, I know. Do you think the joke would have upset a lot of people, including the singer? Most probably didn't even hear it.

Yeah, it was a joke. But there has been a tension between dark & light skin blacks for decades in the US.

El DeBarge Returns At BET Awards, Prepares New Album

Jun 28 2010 12:21 PM EDT
By MTV News staff

eCFtY.jpg

Sunday night's 2010 BET Awards had no shortage of surprising, thrilling and emotional moments. There was Chris Brown's stirring tribute to Michael Jackson (which saw the embattled singer deftly pull off some of the late Jackson's most classic dance moves before his vocal performance was undone by tears), an incredible salute to Prince (featuring the likes of Alicia Keys, Patti LaBelle and Janelle Monae) and a savage performances both Eminem (with B.o.B) and Drake. But perhaps the most pleasantly surprising moment of the evening came when El DeBarge graced the stage for a run through some of his biggest hits.

The R&B legend — whose signature falsetto buoyed such smashes as "Who's Johnny" and "Stop! Don't Tease Me" — returned to the public eye after a long absence to tear through a medley of massive tunes from his back catalog (mostly with his family band DeBarge). His mini-concert included "All This Love" (one of the group's earliest hits, later sampled on Da Brat's "Ghetto Love"), "Time Will Reveal" (another big hit later covered by the likes of Blackstreet, Boyz II Men and Janelle Monae), "I Like It", and the classic "Rhythm of the Night," which was not only a giant hit for the group (it peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 and topped the R&B chart) but was also the first big smash for legendary songwriter Diane Warren (also responsible for such hits as Toni Braxton's "Un-Break My Heart" and Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing").

2010 could end up being the year of El DeBarge, as the singer is set to release his first album of new material since 1994 this fall with the aptly-titled Second Chance. In the interim, he has clearly made an impact on the hip-hop community, as has collaborated with the likes of DJ Quik and the RZA on various projects while getting his comeback together.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1642511/20100628/debarge_el.jhtml

ive been listening to him nonstop since i saw him on bet .. forgot how much i love this guy

El was the man back in the day. He was great at BET and he looks good. Glad his doing better and still sounds great.

He looks great.
About the light skinned thing...Brian was right...light skinned men have kind of been put on the burner since the 80's...all of the hot black men in Hollywood, singing have been brown or darker...

And as another poster stated, skin color is an issue in the USA b/w the black community...but it is across the world. The lighter you are, the more advantages.
But it's worse when it comes from your own family and friends. I've been called LIGHT BRIGHT, HIGH YELLOW HEFFER, white feet and leg girl...all because I'm light skinned.

I'm praying El's career takes off. He deserves this!!!!

it's kind of unnerving that people are so concerned about skin tone..but.....that's the way people are.

That's why there is something stupid like the "BET" awards.;D

That's why there is something stupid like the "BET" awards.;D
The reason there is a BET, Telemundo, etc. is because the regular USA mainstream (white) networks don't really make programs for other ethnic groups. This is also the reasoning behind alternate award shows like the BET Awards, Soul Train Awards, and the Latin Grammys. But none of that has anything to do with El's new album which is the main focus. El and the interviewer wasn't taking it seriously, so I'm not sure why that "light skinned brother" comment is being picked out. If you want to discuss race or terms like "yellowbone" & "dark and lovely", start another thread. This is about El's return to music. :D

That's not what I meant, but I understand what you're saying.
At the MTV awards there are just as many black (maybe more) as white artists doing their thing.
I don't think there should be ANY race based channels because it's ridiculous, it's 2010 now.

As for his new album, I hope it sells.
I don't know if people who didn't grow up in the 80's, know about this guy.
It's going to be hard for a almost 50-year old to restart a singing career.

The new music sounds great though, I wish him the best.
Modern music needs a reset.

As for his new album, I hope it sells.
I don't know if people who didn't grow up in the 80's, know about this guy.
It's going to be hard for a almost 50-year old to restart a singing career.

The new music sounds great though, I wish him the best.
Modern music needs a reset.
It doesn't really matter if he sells to a teen audience or has the same level of success as he did in the 80s. If he wanted to do that, he could have done the same thing as Carlos Santana & Ronald Isley did and just get some beatmakers and young acts on his songs. There's still an older audience that wants to hear traditional music. That's why all of those old bands that broke up long ago like The Police & Van Halen get back together and tour. Sade hadn't made a record in 10 years, but she came back this year and the album she released did pretty good. Her audience bought it, even though it didn't get much airplay or hype.

The reason there is a BET, Telemundo, etc. is because the regular USA mainstream (white) networks don't really make programs for other ethnic groups. This is also the reasoning behind alternate award shows like the BET Awards, Soul Train Awards, and the Latin Grammys. But none of that has anything to do with El's new album which is the main focus. El and the interviewer wasn't taking it seriously, so I'm not sure why that "light skinned brother" comment is being picked out. If you want to discuss race or terms like "yellowbone" & "dark and lovely", start another thread. This is about El's return to music. :D
hey, how do you know she wasn't taking it seriously? hey..post an interview, and it's fair game.:D. and apparently, the album isn't that interesting. that interview is in this thread so everything in that interview is on topic. tell her to get back on topic. :D

hey, how do you know she wasn't taking it seriously? hey..post an interview, and it's fair game.:D. and apparently, the album isn't that interesting. that interview is in this thread so everything in that interview is on topic. tell her to get back on topic. :D
That had nothing to do with the main interview. It was just a comment at the end and El returned the favor and said she was "dark & lovely". Brian McKnight said the same thing to El as this interviewer did. You already brought it up on the 1st page when Brian said it, why repeat it again? It's no different than if they started cracking "Ya Mama" jokes, it doesn't mean anything. If El's music doesn't interest you, why come in the thread? You didn't comment on any of his music or any of the rest of the interview, but just on some offhand statement that took 3 seconds to say.

That had nothing to do with the main interview. It was just a comment at the end and El returned the favor and said she was "dark & lovely". Brian McKnight said the same thing to El as this interviewer did. You already brought it up on the 1st page when Brian said it, why repeat it again? It's no different than if they started cracking "Ya Mama" jokes, it doesn't mean anything. If El's music doesn't interest you, why come in the thread? You didn't comment on any of his music or any of the rest of the interview, but just on some offhand statement that took 3 seconds to say.

wow..i didn't know i'd get this for that. but then, i did. free speech. the comment bothers me. and people come in all the time and say they are not interested in the music, in threads of this nature. why are you picking on me?

you're worried about me commenting on it twice. well, how come you don't comment on the fact that it's brought up in two interviews by two different people, if it isn't such a big deal to them?

if anything Mr. Debarge looked uncomfortable with the question. and of course he was going to compliment her, what other answer could he give?

Last edited:
El was the man back in the day. He was great at BET and he looks good. Glad his doing better and still sounds great.

My sentiments exactly. I love El! Always have. Great to see him back on the scene doing his thing. He's a very talented guy.

wow..i didn't know i'd get this for that. but then, i did. free speech. the comment bothers me. and people come in all the time and say they are not interested in the music, in threads of this nature. why are you picking on me?
I don't go in those threads so I don't know what they're saying, because I don't go into topics that don't interest me. If you want free speech to spread negativity, start your own thread and say what you want all you want. You're ruining this one.

I don't go in those threads so I don't know what they're saying, because I don't go into topics that don't interest me. If you want free speech to spread negativity, start your own thread and say what you want all you want. You're ruining this one.

this is a public forum. i wanted to see the interview. and i was affected the way i was affected by it. that is my right. you cannot tell me where to go, on this public forum. the title of this thread is 'new el debarge interview.' i guess i needed to tell you that the word 'music' is not in it, though you wrote the title. that means, the entire interview is fair game. anything that appears in that interview, concerning el debarge, and the questions being asked of him, is fair game. you can speak about the music, and anything that the interviewer or interviewee brings up, unless the title says otherwise. spike lee wrote a movie about the tensions of people who show big concerns about the differences between light and dark skinned people in the african american community. believe it or not, it is a big deal to them, and i am disturbed that it is a big deal to them, and i didn't appreciate the comment when it was brought up. i am part of that community, and it is my wish that it would not be an issue within the community. so, i expressed my thoughts.

Last edited:
Back