New Album Timeline

This Is It

Proud Member
New Album Thread

This thread is for information about songs recorded from late 2006 until Michael's death. Originally set for release around 2007, it was delayed further in mid-2008 after the leak of 'Hold My Hand' (featuring Akon), their only completed song and due to be the lead single on both albums. He rehearsed new material for This Is It, which was presumably going to kick-start the promotion and lead on to a world tour after the 50 London dates.

Songs

Michael made his collaborators sign confidentiality agreements but some titles have been revealed.

will.i.am, who produced six songs, described "really fresh and melodic feel-good hard dance songs like Off the Wall for today," including 'I'm Dreamin'' and 'The Future', similar to the Black Eyed Peas' The E.N.D. He said, "It demanded and ordered people to the dance floor." He also named the Jackson-penned 'I'm Still the King'. Just after James Brown's death, they attempted an unfinished tribute called 'I Will Miss You' together.

Akon said he "did tonnes of ideas" which the "perfectionist" Michael kept wanting to be "more incredible," meaning they only finished one song. 'Hold My Hand' is a 3:38 Claude Kelly-penned R&B ballad with Akon recorded in Las Vegas at the Palms Resort. Due to be lead singles on both their albums, it was leaked on 30th July 2008.

T-Pain confirmed he did three songs with Jackson.

RedOne worked with Jackson in mid-2008 at Las Vegas' Palms Resort and early 2009 in Los Angeles. He called their work "very melodic, very pop," as well as "very energetic, uplifting."

Ne-Yo said much of his work involved submitting songs via email, getting feedback and changing them accordingly, adding, "His music is all about the melody, and that's the only sort of real direction he gave me, make sure the song is as melodic as possible."

Last edited:
Re: New Album Thread

I like will.i.am as a producer and would be keen to hear anything they worked on together.

I hope this comes out this year! I need an MJ fix soon!

Here's a question...How well do you think MJ's new album will do? especially in these economic times?

Here's a question...How well do you think MJ's new album will do? especially in these economic times?

Don't worry... I'll be buying three copies... :p

One to preserve.

One to use.

One for extra (just in case).

:lol:

I think it depends on how they package it. If they release a big boxset that costs £40 or something then obviously only the hardcore fans are going to buy it.

If they actually release a new album with 12-16 songs recorded from 2001-2009 then I can imagine it being number 1 all over the world. Even This Is It topped the charts in most countries - and that only had one new song.

wait, did Michael ever get to finish it?

As everyone knows, Mike recorded in the last years of his life for the follow-up to Invincible (which was to be released after the 50 shows, between taking This Is It to every continent). It was rumoured to be titled The Future, after a track producer will.i.am confirmed after his death. Mike worked with the likes of Ne-Yo and Akon from Las Vegas to Ireland, so this is the place for the likes of quotes, videos/pictures (Access Hollywood '06), producers and confirmed tracks (including The Future).

In the July 2009 issue of Britain's Q Magazine (out in early June), will.i.am said, "Michael and I have done for his next record. There's a bunch that are songwriting collaborations. There in a hard dance style, but I can't say the titles as I don't wanna step on his toes. We recorded in Ireland and Las Vegas. Michael is smart. He's still on fire." After his death, will.i.am said it was "dope working with him" and confirmed The Future and the James Brown tribute, Imma Miss You/Imma Be Missing You - but said they were in an unreleasable form as he only had the track and Mike had the vocals. However, in a French radio interview in December 2009, called by friend David Guetta, he said Jackson would posthumously feature on the new Black Eyed Peas album.

James Brown Tribute!!!! :cry: I want to hear!!

Strange. I wrote an information about what Kenny said in interview that was on my national TV 2-3 months ago and no one noticed it....
Kenny said that Michael was planning to perform brand-new songs on TII so I guess they are fully recorded and ready for release !!
I can"t wait for that day to come....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great thread!! I can't wait to hear more on this.

I am worried that the estate will try to rip us off by not releasing a new album and just releasing loads of old material - greatest hits packages - with two or three new tracks on the end.

Economy has never stopped Michael in the past. I can't wait for the new album. I hope it comes out this year.

That's true and this time nothing's gonna stop him, especially now that he's gone people will buy the album! (I mean way more people will buy it) ;)

This is about the album Michael recorded after the trial, planned for release either during the 50 London shows - or after, before taking the tour to each continent. This is for confirmed information only.

Confirmed Songs
'Hold My Hand' - 3:38 (Akon) [leaked in 2008]
'I'm Dreamin'' (will.i.am)
'The Future' (will.i.am)
'Imma Miss You' (will.i.am)
'Still the King' (will.i.am)

Style
According to will.i.am, the "really feel-good songs" were "in a hard dance style," adding, "I want it to sound like Off the Wall for today. He went on to say, "It's not about crazy beats that are going be here today and gone tomorrow, but melodies that will stay for a lifetime... It's all about the melodies and the kind of grooves you will play 10 years from now - anticipate 10 years from now." Big Chuck (uncle of Neff-U) said, "[Michael is] ready to take over the world. He's got some hot records. will.i.am did one, Teddy Riley [did one]. We're giving Michael a lot of edgy street records. He's putting melodies to some hard party records." RedOne said, "It's very melodic. Very pop."

Release
Just after Michael's death, will.i.am said, "No, [they are not at a stage where they will or can be released] - he has all the vocals and I have all the music, and I dunno who has them now." In December 2009, This Is It tour choregrapher Travis Payne revealed that new material was rehearsed, while will.i.am said Michael would posthumously feature on the new Black Eyed Peas album in a French radio interview, called up by DJ friend and producer David Guetta. A month, later RedOne revealed he wanted to release the material they worked on for charity, adding, "Yes, I have talked to his lawyers. We have only concluded thay I have the songs, and we will sit down and talk more later."

This is all irrelevant if these tracks are in a unreleasable form. How depressing is that?

Saying that, I'm sure there are other tracks he recorded either by himself or with other producers (RedOne for example) that can and will see the light of day.

Do you think we really will hear 'new' songs this year?

What if they keep on dragging it out? Or what if they can't get the rights to release them or something? How depressing.

This is all irrelevant if these tracks are in a unreleasable form. How depressing is that?

Saying that, I'm sure there are other tracks he recorded either by himself or with other producers (RedOne for example) that can and will see the light of day.

Not at all, the vocals and the track is there, they just need to be put together, which will require permission from the estate or whoever owns the vocals. It just means he cannot release them now without the vocals, but the vocals do exist, so don't give up on them

Do you think we really will hear 'new' songs this year?

What if they keep on dragging it out? Or what if they can't get the rights to release them or something? How depressing.

sony have the rights pre 2003 but it depends on whether the estate want to wait until they get the masters back and go for the best deal. bottom line is u have a lifetime now with no real new music so do u want it all released within the next few years or spread out so u have something to "look forward" to over the next 10 15 years. we might hear something in the second half of the year.id be surprised if its any earlier.whether its proper album or just an odd song i dunno and depending on the quality and how much the songs are already finished makes a difference. just having mjs vocals doesnt make it an mj song if the whole production etc been created by someone else like with TII

If they have even half of the unreleased music they claim exists then there's no need to hold off for years to put something out. I remember reading somewhere that they had about eight full albums worth of material somewhere...

Can a mod please delete all my posts with "Edit..." in them please?

If they have even half of the unreleased music they claim exists then there's no need to hold off for years to put something out. I remember reading somewhere that they had about eight full albums worth of material somewhere...
business issues area reason, waiting to get back the masters as reported on. and sorting out other things in the estate. the music wont disapear. maybe they have other priorities that need sorting out first lawsuits other deals etc.i doubt theres many songs that are totally finished and could just be released

Back