My trip to Gary, Indiana

yes, they said it was a dangerous place and that we should leave it asap. I don't think they exagerated too much, to be honest. It's a very poor town. I assume that robberies and other crimes are quite common there. I felt safe because I was with two friends. I don't think I'd go to Gary on my own, to be honest.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story and photos! Yes, Gary is not a safe town, but there are some truly lovely people there who really love and are proud of the Jacksons. When I went to 2300 Jackson Street on the first anniversary of Michael's passing back in June, I met a sweet couple who live a couple of houses down from 2300 Jackson Street and I am still in touch with them. I hope to go back sometime and now at least I know I have some friends there.

Thanks for sharing your story. I would think that Cleveland, Detroit, and Gary are probably the last 3 American cities that foreign tourists would want to visit - LOL. There are actually nice, interesting areas in Cleveland and Detroit, but I don't know of any nice areas in Gary. I would never go to Gary alone.

What did you do in Chicago?

What did you do in Chicago?

Just sightseeing :) We went to Willis Tower, they have these cool glass boxes there on 103rd floor. You go in there and it feels like you are floating on air :) Also, went to Millenium Park and Michigan lake... Basically, spent the whole day walking, looking around... I liked Chicago, it's a beautiful city.

Thanks for sharing! What a wonderful experience! I'll take time to read more of your writing tomorrow.
thanks.. they are so cute!!
but why Gary is a dagerous place? it is no safe for turist?
I heard from one of people who lived in Gary recently that you gotta be careful cuz gang violence is seriously going on. I was telling him that I hoped to visit there someday and that was one of the 1st things he said, which I appreciated.
I'd already heard how dangerous the city is, but hearing from one of the recent residents, that makes me feel real scared. But it'll never stop me from going there. I'll have to make sure I'm safe, tho.
Nothing seems to have changed much in the city from the time when Mike and his siblings were born and grew up. This is sad reality...
When I visit there, I plan to book a hotel room in Chicago. I can't imagine doing it in Gary, as much as I would want to stay near Michael's childhood home.....:( Well, then again, Chicago is not that safe place, either, so I heard.

What an experience. The trip to Gary Indiana is my life goal. It will be difficult, i'm only 16 and i live in Europe, but the day will come. I'm not dying before i see his home.

The whole trip took 10 days. We spent 4 days in NYC, then took a bus to Cleveland (12 hours by bus), spent a night there and went to Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame. We left Cleveland that evening (rented a car there) and spent a night in a motel somewhere between Cleveland and Detroit (don't remember the name of the town). The next day we came to Detroit and visited Motown museum. Detroit is a really scary looking city, there are a lot of abandoned buildings and it really looks like an unpleasant and dangerous place. We decided not to stay there for the night and chose a motel somewhere on the way to Chicago instead. And the next day we were in Gary by noon. I thought we'd spend an hour or so there, but there was a lot to see so we spent there almost the whole day. And for the rest of our trip we were in Chicago (two days).

Thank you for all these details, I wouldn't have thought of taking a 12 hour bus..it sounds shattering...but very worthwhile. I've seen film of Detroit on TV and it does look a bit worrying ... I gather that some people have started to camp out and cultivate crops on some of the abandoned and derelict plots, in a kind of 'back to basics' initiative. Incredible that it has changed so much in relatively few years, from the big shiny metropolis that it used to be. You really managed to pack a fantastic amount into a short trip; I bet you needed a holiday when you got back, LOL.

(And you must have MJs head for heights...my hair is standing on end at the thought of standing on the the 103rd floor in a glass box)

Last edited:
Thank you for all these details, I wouldn't have thought of taking a 12 hour bus..it sounds shattering...but very worthwhile.

We thought of going by plane, but figured we'd spend just as such time on getting to the airport, checking-in, waiting for our flight, then getting from the airport in Cleveland and it would be more expensive. So we chose a bus. It was quite alright actually. There was free wi-fi in the bus, so I spent the whole trip reading MJ forums lol

I've seen film of Detroit on TV and it does look a bit worrying ... I gather that some people have started to camp out and cultivate crops on some of the abandoned and derelict plots, in a kind of 'back to basics' initiative. Incredible that it has changed so much in relatively few years, from the big shiny metropolis that it used to be. You really managed to pack a fantastic amount into a short trip; I bet you needed a holiday when you got back, LOL.

Yeah, it was quite shocking to see the worldwide famous center of auto industry in such condition. And you are right about needing a holiday after this vacation lol I am always very active on my vacations, going somewhere, spending every day sightseeing... And when I am home I always promise myself that next time I will go somewhere to a warm country and spend the whole week lying on a beach. lol But then I go sightseeing to Europe or America again :)

(And you must have MJs head for heights...my hair is standing on end at the thought of standing on the the 103rd floor in a glass box)

Hahaha, I am not afraid of heights, on the contrary, I love it! Here's a photo for you

IMG_3103.jpg

Great stories/photos. Thanks for sharing! I'd love to go Gary, Indiana, but not on my own because I know it's a poor and kinda dangerous town. Good advice to go with your family or friends!!!

Back