Music Biz Insiders Say Sony-Jackson Deal Makes Sense

babykinsilk05

Proud Member
Music Biz Insiders Say Sony-Jackson Deal Makes Sense
By Gail Mitchell
March 19, 2010

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - The magnitude of Sony Music Entertainment's landmark recording contract with the estate of Michael Jackson raises an inevitable question: Is it a smart deal for the label?

Given Jackson's superstar status, his influential creative legacy and the market's seemingly insatiable appetite for all things MJ, the consensus of executives who handle works of other deceased music stars is an overwhelming "yes."

Under the contract, which guarantees the estate between $200 million and $250 million, Sony will issue 10 releases of Jackson's music through 2017, with the double-CD "This Is It" soundtrack counting as the first of these. Already in the pipeline is the planned November release of a collection of previously unreleased tracks and a 2011 reissue of Jackson's seminal 1979 Epic album, "Off the Wall."

The Jackson/Sony deal eclipses such recent headline-making unions as Live Nation Entertainment's pacts with Madonna and Jay-Z, pegged at $120 million and $150 million, respectively. And it places Jackson among a select group of artists who posthumously remain major wage earners: Elvis Presley, Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra and Jimi Hendrix, whose new album of unreleased material, "Valleys of Neptune," debuted at No. 4 on the Billboard 200.

Since Jackson's June 25 death, his catalog has generated sales of 8.7 million albums in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and a reported total of 31 million worldwide. To date, the "This Is It" double CD has sold 1.5 million units domestically, according to SoundScan, and more than 5 million worldwide, according to Sony.

LONG-TERM GOALS

Sony has been in talks with the estate since late last summer, when they came together to discuss the "This Is It" movie and soundtrack, according to Columbia/Epic Label Group chairman Rob Stringer. The new contract renews Jackson's 30-year association with the company, which dates back to 1979.

"My first premise for wanting to do something long-term," Stringer says, "was there was music that was out there post the term of our contract, and I wanted that wrapped up as part of our forward-going structure with the estate. For instance, it would have been a very strange process if we had to deal with the estate and then another record label signed the material post the term after 'Invincible.' It was a much-needed process for both sides to have everything in place. Both the 'This Is It' movie soundtrack and DVD exceeded our expectations. We knew we had something incredibly buoyant in terms of the legacy of a fantastic artist."

John Branca, who with John McClain serves as special administrator for the Jackson estate, says the contract is in keeping with future projects and other ideas he and Jackson had discussed before his death. "What John (McClain) and I have been trying to do is execute a game plan Michael would have been comfortable with," Branca says. "We have turned a lot of things down; we have been very selective. And yet we're also very aggressive about wanting to do these kinds of deals that Michael would have been proud of."

Tony Gumina, president of the Ray Charles Marketing Group, calls the Jackson/Sony agreement a great deal for the major. "The $250 million figure sounds incredible, but so did the $60 million that Columbia Pictures guaranteed for the footage used in the 'This Is It' film," Gumina says. "It has since grossed more than $200 million in worldwide box office and DVD sales."

Bob Sillerman, chairman/CEO of CKX, which oversees Presley's estate, doesn't view the contract as much of a gamble because of Jackson's unique appeal. "If their experience with the Jackson catalog is anything like our experience with the Elvis catalog -- where ... there has been a treasure trove of unreleased material and the ability to repackage material -- then the label and the estate have done something unique and will be immensely successful."

MOVING QUICKLY

A senior executive at another major label agrees that the deal is a wise investment, while observing that the speed at which it was completed suggests "just how much debt pressure there must be on the heirs." The executive adds that "the important thing now is for Sony to handle the assets and fans with care and respect and not overlook the demand at the moment."

The contract is also a testament to Jackson's worldwide appeal, Gumina says.

"When you're dealing with icons like Michael Jackson and Ray Charles," he says, "their appeal in the international markets is remarkable, so you're not just selling product in North America. If there are some great Michael Jackson recordings in the Sony vaults, this should be the best catalog investment they have ever made."

The key to maximizing this kind of material is respecting the artist's legacy and recognizing that less is more. "There is no urgency to rush these out," Sillerman says. "Being respectful of the integrity of the original creation and the original audience is something that the estate and the label know as well as anything."

Sustaining interest in any legacy act in the long term remains a challenge. But not every legacy act carries Jackson's cachet. "This deal shows you the power of the Michael Jackson brand," says Larry Mestel, CEO of Primary Wave Music Publishing, which owns a stake in Kurt Cobain's song catalog. "There are only a handful of artists who have that type of power. That's why Sony was very smart to make that deal."

Sillerman adds, "There are other world-class acts that I don't think have the reach and impact that Michael and Elvis have. I would put the Beatles up there and also the Rolling Stones."

Branca says there will always be interest in Jackson. "Look what happened with Elvis," he says. "To this day, there's interest in Elvis. And I think there will be enduring interest in Michael. It's our job to continue to expose Michael to new generations."

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wirestory?id=10153096&page=4

well...of course they'll say that.
it just woulda been nice to hear that kind of talk about a still alive artist.

but that will never happen.

'death to the artist, and make a profit'. boy that sure doesn't feel good coming out of My mouth.

Last edited:
This is Michael Joseph Jackson that we are talking about, so hell yeah, it's a WONDERFUL deal!!

Great article, thanks for posting. I am glad they don't forget about international fans.

What about this?
------------------------

Michael Jackson Betrayed After Death
http://peoplemagazinedaily.com/?p=5164
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
By Editorial Staff

The estate of Michael Jackson has signed a deal with the devil.

Jackson’s lawyers and family negotiated one of the most expensive music contracts in history giving Sony Music the rights to sell his back catalogue of music and commercially exploit a collection of unheard songs.

Michael explicitly said on numerous occasions that he thoroughly disliked Sony and its business executives, called administrators, such as Tommy Mottola “devils” and “racists,” and blamed people at that company as well as others for creating a “conspiracy” against him by tarnishing his image with child sex abuse accusations because they wanted to gain the rights to his 50 percent share ownership of the Sony-ATV music publishing catalog that includes The Beatles music catalog.

See the transcript of Michael and Jermaine calling the Sony executives “racists” HERE

Even father Joe Jackson and sister LaToya stated recently they believed there was an evil cabal that conspired to keep Michael drugged to sign-over rights and financial accounts to them, distanced him from any friends and family and eventually ended their plot with his murder.

However, the Jackson family and estate executors, i.e. gluttonous, money-obsessed, unethical lawyers, succumbed to an offer made by the very company Michael disliked so wholeheartedly.

The legal agreement will guarantee the Jackson estate $250 million in advances and other payments on about 10 albums until 2017 and will allegedly offer a high royalty rate on both domestic and foreign sales according to sources with knowledge of the contract who spoke anonymously to The New York Times today because they were not allowed to speak about the deal publicly.

The agreement will also guide Sony and the Jackson estate through various forthcoming licensing projects, such as the use of Michael’s music for memorabilia, theater, TV and films.

“We think that recordings will always be an important part of the estate,” said John Branca, an entertainment lawyer and one of the estate’s executors, in an interview Monday. “New generations of kids are discovering Michael.”

“A lot of the people that went to see This Is It were families. This Is It was one of the few [American] films allowed into China. So we think there are growing and untapped markets for Michael’s music.”

Michael is worth more dead than alive.

Within a week-and-a-half after his death in 2009, Americans downloaded over 2.6 million Jackson songs, which was almost higher than the total amount of Michael music units purchased in about a decade domestically.

The New York Times published Aug. 12 that within 48 days of his death, “He has already earned $100 million through a film deal and various merchandising contracts, and the executors expect another $100 million to roll in by the end of the year.”

According to Billboard, 31 million copies of Michael’s albums sold since his death as well.

The fickle American fan-base was even documented in the number of plays of “Billie Jean” before vs. after his death.

Billboard stated on June 30, “research provided by Nielsen BDS of monitored airplay from over 1,600 terrestrial and satellite radio stations and cable music channels, ‘Billie Jean’ was the Jackson track with the most spins for the week ending June 28 with 4,540 — 97% of which occurred after news of his death became public. The track posted only 318 plays in the prior week [in the entire United States].”

“It’s not just a record deal,” said chairman of Sony’s Columbia/Epic Label Group Rob Stringer.

“We’re not just basing this on how many CDs we sell or how many downloads. There are also audio rights for theater, movies, computer games. I don’t know how an audio soundtrack will be used in 2017, but you’ve got to bet on Michael Jackson in any new platform.”

Expect to see some hyper-flexible leotard-bearing trapeze artists from Cirque du Soleil twirling to the music of Michael sometime soon in Las Vegas, i.e. The Beatles’ Love.

So what would you rather have: Michael alive at the young age of 51-years-old or some musicals on Broadway and in Las Vegas with people singing his songs and some albums of unreleased, unwanted songs?

Read our articles on the conspiracy to murder Michael and the murder case against doctor Conrad Murray HERE

What would never have happened? That radio stations would increase to play his songs again? That the puplic would start buying his albums again? That by that he would become a hot artist again in which Sony is willing to invest a lot of money? Or that Michael would have signed with Sony again??

All these things are kinda connected... so "duh"! As sick as it is... everything that has happened last year was publicty for him! Then again... if he would have done those concerts, had one shown on TV in a worldwide transmission, maybe that would have served too to stir up interest in him again (albeit on a much smaller scale), so maybe he would have been interested to sign another deal with the company who gives him the best offer!

^^^^ many people forget Michael sold OUT 50 concerts in 4 or 5 hours... he was a big business BEFORE he passed away, in fact it was HE, HIMSELF THE ONE REFUSING TO DO ALBUMS AND TOURS IN HIS LAST YEARS; Michael was the one who stoped everything ON PURPOSE( he of course had his very strong reasons, that trial ruined EVERYTHING, just EVERYTHING)

but as soon as he got out and arrange the THIS IS IT concerts the interest was intact, but i do know that he was not so happy over those concerts, he wanted to direct films..., make music yes, but his main purpose was to direct films.... it was him, in the last years i was kinda angry at him cause i always felt he was wasting his immense genius but i couldnt blame him that stupid trial interrupted EVERYTHING, i hate those b*stards...

He was tired, i mean who wouldnt, i would have been dead long before him, he lasted as much as he could... but he was HUMAN, just a HUMAN...and it was HIS DECISION to do all this way, I would have done the same, but i wish someone would have been there to protect him more, knowing how sensitive he was, i mean, of course people knew he had troubles sleeping and with all those prescriptions he HAD to have

My point was that Michael was tired, BUT the interest on him never decayed, in fact it was HIM, who would in purpose (maybe cause he was hurt) do nothing, i really think he lasted as long as he could and he was feeling betrayed by human nature.
an i completely understand him.

RIP Michael, you're finally at peace

I've just received and read the Thriller 25 book, and Michael thanks Epic and Sony Music on the last page.

mixed emotions. the money will set the family straight for good,etc..

MJ was done with sony period. he was gonna make money period.

the deal doesn't speak on the back catelog numbers or the re-certifications.

i mean MJ's debt is cleared.

i mean they can release whatever with little to now huge cost.

they should give MJ's estate a billion dollars. anything less is chump change imo.

What about this?
------------------------

Michael Jackson Betrayed After Death
http://peoplemagazinedaily.com/?p=5164
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
By Editorial Staff

The estate of Michael Jackson has signed a deal with the devil.

Jackson’s lawyers and family negotiated one of the most expensive music contracts in history giving Sony Music the rights to sell his back catalogue of music and commercially exploit a collection of unheard songs.

Michael explicitly said on numerous occasions that he thoroughly disliked Sony and its business executives, called administrators, such as Tommy Mottola “devils” and “racists,” and blamed people at that company as well as others for creating a “conspiracy” against him by tarnishing his image with child sex abuse accusations because they wanted to gain the rights to his 50 percent share ownership of the Sony-ATV music publishing catalog that includes The Beatles music catalog.

See the transcript of Michael and Jermaine calling the Sony executives “racists” HERE

Even father Joe Jackson and sister LaToya stated recently they believed there was an evil cabal that conspired to keep Michael drugged to sign-over rights and financial accounts to them, distanced him from any friends and family and eventually ended their plot with his murder.

However, the Jackson family and estate executors, i.e. gluttonous, money-obsessed, unethical lawyers, succumbed to an offer made by the very company Michael disliked so wholeheartedly.

The legal agreement will guarantee the Jackson estate $250 million in advances and other payments on about 10 albums until 2017 and will allegedly offer a high royalty rate on both domestic and foreign sales according to sources with knowledge of the contract who spoke anonymously to The New York Times today because they were not allowed to speak about the deal publicly.

The agreement will also guide Sony and the Jackson estate through various forthcoming licensing projects, such as the use of Michael’s music for memorabilia, theater, TV and films.

“We think that recordings will always be an important part of the estate,” said John Branca, an entertainment lawyer and one of the estate’s executors, in an interview Monday. “New generations of kids are discovering Michael.”

“A lot of the people that went to see This Is It were families. This Is It was one of the few [American] films allowed into China. So we think there are growing and untapped markets for Michael’s music.”

Michael is worth more dead than alive.

Within a week-and-a-half after his death in 2009, Americans downloaded over 2.6 million Jackson songs, which was almost higher than the total amount of Michael music units purchased in about a decade domestically.

The New York Times published Aug. 12 that within 48 days of his death, “He has already earned $100 million through a film deal and various merchandising contracts, and the executors expect another $100 million to roll in by the end of the year.”

According to Billboard, 31 million copies of Michael’s albums sold since his death as well.

The fickle American fan-base was even documented in the number of plays of “Billie Jean” before vs. after his death.

Billboard stated on June 30, “research provided by Nielsen BDS of monitored airplay from over 1,600 terrestrial and satellite radio stations and cable music channels, ‘Billie Jean’ was the Jackson track with the most spins for the week ending June 28 with 4,540 — 97% of which occurred after news of his death became public. The track posted only 318 plays in the prior week [in the entire United States].”

“It’s not just a record deal,” said chairman of Sony’s Columbia/Epic Label Group Rob Stringer.

“We’re not just basing this on how many CDs we sell or how many downloads. There are also audio rights for theater, movies, computer games. I don’t know how an audio soundtrack will be used in 2017, but you’ve got to bet on Michael Jackson in any new platform.”

Expect to see some hyper-flexible leotard-bearing trapeze artists from Cirque du Soleil twirling to the music of Michael sometime soon in Las Vegas, i.e. The Beatles’ Love.

So what would you rather have: Michael alive at the young age of 51-years-old or some musicals on Broadway and in Las Vegas with people singing his songs and some albums of unreleased, unwanted songs?

Read our articles on the conspiracy to murder Michael and the murder case against doctor Conrad Murray HERE

i never remembered reading anything in the original article about sony getting rights to sell any catalogue. but if this really happened, sony and MJ's lawyers, in effect just put MJ's kids out on the street.

i know MJ was truly the only financial genius, here, knowing to invest in this catalogue...

but wait..MJ put up a trust. the definition of trust is that nobody can touch it..that includes sony.

so i really don't think sony could get their grubby hands on MJ's part of the catalogue. you don't buy something, and then not own it. it doesn't make sense. and i truly believe that MJ told his lawyers, under no circumstance, should they ever sell MJ's fifty percent. MJ made it clear in his life, that fifty wasn't going anywhere. he knew the value of it. if his lawyers betrayed that, then they betrayed Michael's trust. and if sony made any attempt to make it possible, to sell that catalogue(which i don't believe they were able to do) then sony has just destroyed themselves. they'll go right out of business, like most of the businesses in america.

but i still don't believe sony can touch a trust. that's what the definition of a trust is. MJ did sony a favor, despite themselves.

i'm just thinking that people magazine has a short memory about some things.

and since when does the fickle american public have anything to do with what radio plays? radio and the public are two different things. those pollsters have too much time on their hands.

Last edited:
This deal doesn't represent Michael's goals. Michael was holding out on purpose to be free from Sony. Free to do what he wants with HIS stuff, not be bound by rules and contracts.
The estate just agreed to the opposite. And 200 million is a joke like the member above pointed out. It's worth so much more.

This deal would have made sense also 10 ago,
instead of releasing useless best of compilations. But we know Michael didn't want that Sony make any more money and keep his work for himself.

I'm happy about the whole thing, of course.

This deal doesn't represent Michael's goals. Michael was holding out on purpose to be free from Sony. Free to do what he wants with HIS stuff, not be bound by rules and contracts.
The estate just agreed to the opposite. And 200 million is a joke like the member above pointed out. It's worth so much more.
On that i AGREE, its worth Much much much MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH MORE...

^^^^ many people forget Michael sold OUT 50 concerts in 4 or 5 hours... he was a big business BEFORE he passed away, in fact it was HE, HIMSELF THE ONE REFUSING TO DO ALBUMS AND TOURS IN HIS LAST YEARS; Michael was the one who stoped everything ON PURPOSE( he of course had his very strong reasons, that trial ruined EVERYTHING, just EVERYTHING)

but as soon as he got out and arrange the THIS IS IT concerts the interest was intact, but i do know that he was not so happy over those concerts, he wanted to direct films..., make music yes, but his main purpose was to direct films.... it was him, in the last years i was kinda angry at him cause i always felt he was wasting his immense genius but i couldnt blame him that stupid trial interrupted EVERYTHING, i hate those b*stards...

He was tired, i mean who wouldnt, i would have been dead long before him, he lasted as much as he could... but he was HUMAN, just a HUMAN...and it was HIS DECISION to do all this way, I would have done the same, but i wish someone would have been there to protect him more, knowing how sensitive he was, i mean, of course people knew he had troubles sleeping and with all those prescriptions he HAD to have

My point was that Michael was tired, BUT the interest on him never decayed, in fact it was HIM, who would in purpose (maybe cause he was hurt) do nothing, i really think he lasted as long as he could and he was feeling betrayed by human nature.
an i completely understand him.

RIP Michael, you're finally at peace

Michael was musician first. He stated often that he would like to do movies. But for musician who was absent for over 15 years, comeback concerts are the way.
He didn't refuse to do albums. He always did work on new music, he just had to stop releasing albums, because of what happened in the past 5 years.
He was defenetly happy about the concerts. He was nervous, stressed and kind of in pressured, because of the short time to put it together, no doubt about that. AEG wanted concerts in small level, but Michael can't , didn't want to do a small comback. It's not his style and it's understandable.

He was tired after History. But he wasn't tired for the "This is it" comeback. He was just out of shape and to me he felt rushed.
He took a deserved rest for few years, after non-stop work in 30 years.
He wanted to concentrate on his kids. And it was right so.

Please, don't over react things.
Betrayed by human nature?

If he was left behind by his fans, you can call it like that. But we never leaved him.
What the media thinks, writes and what average people thought about him, was not from importants.

He wanted to do biiiiiigggg comback.
He knew that people always have interest for him and waited for the right time, until he himself feels ready to come back.

History would have been repeated and written new in the next few years, but a big mistake happened.

Michael was musician first. He stated often that he would like to do movies. But for musician who was absent for over 15 years, comeback concerts are the way.
He didn't refuse to do albums. He always did work on new music, he just had to stop releasing albums, because of what happened in the past 5 years.
He was defenetly happy about the concerts. He was nervous, stressed and kind of in pressured, because of the short time to put it together, no doubt about that. AEG wanted concerts in small level, but Michael can't , didn't want to do a small comback. It's not his style and it's understandable.

He was tired after History. But he wasn't tired for the "This is it" comeback. He was just out of shape and to me he felt rushed.
He took a deserved rest for few years, after non-stop work in 30 years.
He wanted to concentrate on his kids. And it was right so.

Please, don't over react things.
Betrayed by human nature?

If he was left behind by his fans, you can call it like that. But we never leaved him.
What the media thinks, writes and what average people thought about him, was not from importants.

He wanted to do biiiiiigggg comback.
He knew that people always have interest for him and waited for the right time, until he himself feels ready to come back.

History would have been repeated and written new in the next few years, but a big mistake happened.

i think we all have an opinion on this, and they are all just opinions, but going at a member is against the rules..

I don't know if it is a good deal or not. It sounds like it. I don't get how a record company and the estate come up with these figures in the first place. We don't know what other companies offered and maybe Sony was the best offer for them. Michael has a long history with them. It sounds like the estate is not just looking at albums but more use of Michael's music elsewhere.

As for Michael's 50% ownership of the Sony catalogue I don't think the executors would ever sell that. It's a huge asset and brings income to the estate. It's one of the best business decisions Michael made. This deal is about Michael's music and how to distribute that.

I know there is the concern about how Michael felt about Sony. He might have looked at them differently than how he did a few years ago. It's hard to know because he isn't here to say what he thinks. He would probably want the best deal for security for his kids.

The media and other people act like Michael only became worth something after he died. Hello? This is the man that sold a million tickets for 50 dates at one location in 4 hours. That broke multiple records and insiders have already conceeded that no one will ever come close and Michael did this when he was alive. Yes its a great deal for Sony but Sony have only cared about one thing anyway: $ $ $

I'd say it's a huge deal.
Music sales are at a all-time low,the music market is dead,pp like U2 or Madonna or Bruce Springsteen,Rolling stones,Prince,Depeche Mode,ac-dc don't sell much or sell almost nothing compared to the 10 millions per album they used to do 10-15 years ago.
Record companies are almost all dead or keep loosing huge % a year.The megastars era is long gone in terms of sellings,the millions they used to get in the 80's and 90's are gone.

Selling out soccer arenas on the other hand is easy for big names but as i said it doesn't always translate into selling records.Maybe for this reason they'll use M's music also in some hopefully interesting projects that will attrackt the youngest generations so they'll descover also his older stuff,I hope they'll do a video game like the beatles one,or a musical-movie.
One thing is sure they have to protect his name,they can't have bad press,"hardcore" fans are not the issue,but there are entire generations that know M for the wrong reasons or superficially,they were told his career was a joke....
From now on every 10 years a brand new generation will need to know him so they have to keep him relevant to the masses and for his legacy is a good thing.

I'd say it's a huge deal.
Music sales are at a all-time low,the music market is dead,pp like U2 or Madonna or Bruce Springsteen,Rolling stones,Prince,Depeche Mode,ac-dc don't sell much or sell almost nothing compared to the 10 millions per album they used to do 10-15 years ago.
Record companies are almost all dead or keep loosing huge % a year.The megastars era is long gone in terms of sellings,the millions they used to get in the 80's and 90's are gone.

Selling out soccer arenas on the other hand is easy for big names but as i said it doesn't always translate into selling records.Maybe for this reason they'll use M's music also in some hopefully interesting projects that will attrackt the youngest generations so they'll descover also his older stuff,I hope they'll do a video game like the beatles one,or a musical-movie.
One thing is sure they have to protect his name,they can't have bad press,"hardcore" fans are not the issue,but there are entire generations that know M for the wrong reasons or superficially,they were told his career was a joke....
From now on every 10 years a brand new generation will need to know him so they have to keep him relevant to the masses and for his legacy is a good thing.

but how come 'hardcore' fans are always so underrated, or underestimated, or undercounted?

why is it that people think that the rule in business, (as i hear it, in commercials) is, the key to a business is not new customers, but repeat customers, but that rule changes, when it comes to Michael Jackson? hasn't his legacy been tested for many years, now, and is still intact?

what artist doesn't have their detractors?

why is the general public estimated as being more powerful than an artist's hardcore fans?

all the artists who have been around at least, awhile, do have hardcore fans.

it's the ones that don't have hardcore fans, who disappear...general public or no general public.

all those artists, you mentioned, are long time names, and they all have hardcore fans.

the decline of the industry only affects those who cheat, or steal, and don't make quality music.

^^ People don't pay attention to hard core fans because there is only a small percentage of them. New costumers are the ones that businesses are attracted to. Hence why the Jackson 5 cartoon and Variety show aren't on DVD. Because there's no huge audience for it, Just small hardcore fans which would be a few thousand.

^^ People don't pay attention to hard core fans because there is only a small percentage of them. New costumers are the ones that businesses are attracted to. Hence why the Jackson 5 cartoon and Variety show aren't on DVD. Because there's no huge audience for it, Just small hardcore fans which would be a few thousand.

MJ didn't last this long, due to a small percentage. MJ has a big percentage of hardcore fans.

i'm not talking about the Jackson 5. i'm talking about Michael, and his solo career. and like i said about the businesses...that commercial said that repeat customers are very very important.

MJ didn't last this long, due to a small percentage. MJ has a big percentage of hardcore fans.

i'm not talking about the Jackson 5. i'm talking about Michael, and his solo career. and like i said about the businesses...that commercial said that repeat customers are very very important.

I know that, but the big bussiness think that the hardcore people just don't make them any money whatsoever hence why they are hardly paid attenton too. If that was the case, so much more MJ concerts and songs whould have been released and many other things fans like.

:scratch:I'm so confussed when It comes to business, plz bear with me. :)

I know that, but the big bussiness think that the hardcore people just don't make them any money whatsoever hence why they are hardly paid attenton too.

:scratch:I'm so confussed when It comes to business, plz bear with me. :)

well..lol...let me use toyota cars, for example...right now, they are desperately hoping that their loyal customers won't let them down. those would be the people who buy another toyota, after they bought the first one. and toyota, is still big...at least..right now.

now, while that may be a bad example, because there is hard evidence, there has been a recall and something wrong with their cars, they let it slip, (by doing that commercial) that they count on repeat toyota car buyers.

there's no hard evidence against Michael..and quite frankly, it's the fans who can beat you at MJ trivia, that have kept him going, all these years. they've stayed long enough to be able to beat you at MJ trivia.

if there were no fans who could beat you at MJ trivia, then there would be no MJ career to speak of.

and countless times, MJ did thank his loyalfanbase.

just the same..with toyota..if there were no people buying more than one toyota, there surely would be no toyota, today, to speak of. because buying only one toyota, leaves at least one less toyota bought.

and, repeat buyers do get new customers' attention, whether or not people like the product.

if there is no loyalty, then new people would be afraid to try the product. word of mouth works better than media.

star wars is the biggest movie ever made, because of the people who saw it 54 times.

sure, there are people saying that some James Cameron movies did better at the box office, but they are being relative, to the high cost of tickets. and there is no telling who will keep seeing the Cameron movies.....but, it's already set in stone, how many years star wars has lasted. so that makes it the biggest movie ever made, success wise.

but how come 'hardcore' fans are always so underrated, or underestimated, or undercounted?

why is it that people think that the rule in business, (as i hear it, in commercials) is, the key to a business is not new customers, but repeat customers, but that rule changes, when it comes to Michael Jackson? hasn't his legacy been tested for many years, now, and is still intact?

what artist doesn't have their detractors?

why is the general public estimated as being more powerful than an artist's hardcore fans?

all the artists who have been around at least, awhile, do have hardcore fans.

it's the ones that don't have hardcore fans, who disappear...general public or no general public.

all those artists, you mentioned, are long time names, and they all have hardcore fans.

the decline of the industry only affects those who cheat, or steal, and don't make quality music.

I'm not sure I understand all your questions in reference to my post.
You make it sound like I have some issues with hardcore fans?
I don't think it's in sony or the estate best interest to cut out M's fanbase core to focus on 15 yo kids or occasional listeners at all.
But why ignore them?
Isn't this adding even more audience?
I hope they'll restore once for all M's image/name (well they have to) and focus ALSO in the younger generations who didn't have the chance to enjoy him when in his prime but only when he was facing hell,they deserve to experience him like many of us did,but in a different way.

Oh ya,all artists have detractors,problems with their record companies,drug problems,some died,some almost died,ended up broke,in jail,they came back...as you said if the product is good chances are they'll live on somehow.

No the decline of the music industry doesn't affect only those who cheat,steal,suck..
unfortunately.
There are a lot of true amazing artist that got cut out and lost it all because they were not cool young and hot, they were not mainstream,they were unlucky,or were not understood by their own audience,didn't sell much even if they were amazing..and without them their less mainstream record companies failed as well.Unfair yes.

Back