Mtv admits it is no longer 'music television' by changing its logo

Proud Member
Yahoo! TV Blog
MTV's Big Change

By Lindsay Robertson | Tuesday, February 9, 2010, 5:37 PM

mtv1.jpg

The original MTV logo and the updated version
Courtesy MTV

MTV is embracing change. In nearly three decades on the air, almost everything about the cable network -- from its programming, to its focus, to its place in popular culture -- has changed with the times, except for its famous tagline, "Music television." Recently, the network quietly unveiled a new logo which has dropped the tagline entirely, indicating that MTV itself is leaving its original mission of an all-music channel in the dust.

The new logo is meant to put the focus on MTV's current slate of talent -- the stars of mostly reality shows like "Jersey Shore," "Teen Mom," and "The Buried Life." Since the logo (which seems to have a shorter "M" than the original) is also available in a see-through model, it can change when new stars come into the fold. Tina Exarhos, a spokesperson for MTV's marketing team, explained the change to "The New York Daily News": "If you watch the channel, you've seen that it's definitely going in a new direction. We really wanted to see the logo featured in a new way, and this was really meant to be able to house all the great things that are happening at MTV at any given time."

When MTV first revolutionized television in 1981, it was based on the idea of one network devoted entirely to music, a central hub where fans could watch music videos, see interviews with their favorite recording artists, and even get their news from a music fan's point of view. The channel was also a valuable promotional tool for the music industry itself, which no longer had to depend mainly on radio to get its product on an audience's radar. But over the years, MTV morphed into a channel that focused less on any one theme and more on targeting a specific teen and young-adult audience, ditching its music roots to deliver whatever the network perceived that audience wanted.

And, clearly, that audience is more into shows like "Jersey Shore" than old-school music video blocks like "120 Minutes."

"The MTV brand, to me, stands for such an irreverent groundbreaking brand, and unfortunately I feel a little underwhelmed when I look at this," Hamish McLennan, global chairman-CEO of advertising powerhouse Young & Rubicam, told Ad Age.

The new logo and its focus on the personalities that drive the channel is based on recent show successes like "Jersey Shore," which turned its stars into celebrities overnight. According to Ad Age, MTV is looking into developing a new tagline to match its new logo. Any suggestions?
usher_mtvlogo.gif

Another spin on the new logo/Courtesy MTV

lol...naturally they're puffing it up, but, there's something subtle with the timing. they realize there will never be another Michael Jackson.

Yahoo! TV Blog
MTV's Big Change

mtv1.jpg

Courtesy MTV

MTV is embracing change. In nearly three decades on the air, almost everything about the cable network -- from its programming, to its focus, to its place in popular culture -- has changed with the times, except for its famous tagline, "Music television." Recently, the network quietly unveiled a new logo which has dropped the tagline entirely, indicating that MTV itself is leaving its original mission of an all-music channel in the dust.

The new logo is meant to put the focus on MTV's current slate of talent -- the stars of mostly reality shows like "Jersey Shore," "Teen Mom," and "The Buried Life." Since the logo (which seems to have a shorter "M" than the original) is also available in a see-through model, it can change when new stars come into the fold. Tina Exarhos, a spokesperson for MTV's marketing team, explained the change to "The New York Daily News": "If you watch the channel, you've seen that it's definitely going in a new direction. We really wanted to see the logo featured in a new way, and this was really meant to be able to house all the great things that are happening at MTV at any given time."

When MTV first revolutionized television in 1981, it was based on the idea of one network devoted entirely to music, a central hub where fans could watch music videos, see interviews with their favorite recording artists, and even get their news from a music fan's point of view. The channel was also a valuable promotional tool for the music industry itself, which no longer had to depend mainly on radio to get its product on an audience's radar. But over the years, MTV morphed into a channel that focused less on any one theme and more on targeting a specific teen and young-adult audience, ditching its music roots to deliver whatever the network perceived that audience wanted.

And, clearly, that audience is more into shows like "Jersey Shore" than old-school music video blocks like "120 Minutes."

"The MTV brand, to me, stands for such an irreverent groundbreaking brand, and unfortunately I feel a little underwhelmed when I look at this," Hamish McLennan, global chairman-CEO of advertising powerhouse Young & Rubicam, told Ad Age.

The new logo and its focus on the personalities that drive the channel is based on recent show successes like "Jersey Shore," which turned its stars into celebrities overnight. According to Ad Age, MTV is looking into developing a new tagline to match its new logo. Any suggestions?
usher_mtvlogo.gif

lol...naturally they're puffing it up, but, there's something subtle with the timing. they realize there will never be another Michael Jackson.

Thats good, they should have been changed it. LOL They know there will never ever be another Michael Jackson.

That shitty Channel should change it to Reality TV, but at least it's a first step. But I will still hate the channel! :mat:

And by playing all those Michael Jackson music videos after his death, this proved that that they can play music videos but won't (although I did'nt mind the music videos). And that is on of the many things I hate about it. I wish it would go back too music.

They made fun of Michael now he is gone they realize there is no hope for their Tv channel. Shoulda appreciate him when he was here.

I don't get it! So what does the M stands for now? If it know longer means music? lol

M.oron TV...perhaps?!

Whatever the day MTV started dissing MJ they died for me! Seriously, when the Real World premiered on MTV for the first time, that was the being of the end for the Music on MTV!!

It's so sad what has become of MTV. But at least they're finally admitting they're not about music anymore.

I feel nostalgic, remembering how I spent hours watching MTV with a VHS recorder remote control in my hand waiting for videos I wanted to record.... :)

Yahoo! TV Blog
MTV's Big Change

mtv1.jpg

Courtesy MTV

usher_mtvlogo.gif

Yeah, I'd read that, funny since I don't think anyone's thought of them as 'music television' since the early '90s anyway, and even by then they started to get away from music. . . . As for it being a result of Michael, I hadn't thought of that but makes sense.

That shitty Channel should change it to Reality TV, but at least it's a first step. But I will still hate the channel! :mat:

And by playing all those Michael Jackson music videos after his death, this proved that that they can play music videos but won't (although I did'nt mind the music videos). And that is on of the many things I hate about it. I wish it would go back too music.

Yes, just call it "R TV" at this point!

They should have changed it back in the early 00s. MTV is a hot mess they should change their name to RTV or better STV |(Sh** TV)

Last edited:
Wait...so people actually watch those "reality shows"?

lol

I don't get it! So what does the M stands for now? If it know longer means music? lol

M.oron TV...perhaps?!

Whatever the day MTV started dissing MJ they died for me! Seriously, when the Real World premiered on MTV for the first time, that was the being of the end for the Music on MTV!!

I so totally agree with you. Moron tv that is really funny but very true. The only time I will watch MTV if they do an MJ special. Which is what very hardly ever. Even if that. And besides who is watching those reality type shows to begin with? I would rather watch educational shows or paint drying over to what they show anymore.

That's what I don't get either. Who is watching and supporting those shows anyway? MTV has been dead a long time for me too. It's like all those networks including Nickelodeon and the Disney channel all committed suicide starting in 2000 but how fitting MTV is officially dead after Michael. He made them now there is no chance to recoup without him. Good riddance Moron TV

The last time I watched MTV was around 1991 (which was about the time I quit listening to the radio), because I remember Color Me Badd, C+C Music Factory, and Naughty By Nature being shown all the time. When grunge, whiner rock, Jodeci style R&B, and gangsta rap became popular, I lost interest in popular music. But don't they have another channel called MTV2 or something? I saw it once when I was at someone's house. I remember that VH1 started out in the mid 80s as a light rock / adult contemporary station that showed videos by Kenny Rogers and Barry Manilow.

MTV2 always has music on, but it's mostly Rock, Indie, Punk, Emo, etc.

M.oron TV...perhaps?!
*lol*
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Completely agree! I haven watched MTV since the mid 90s and I don't know how this new logo is going to change anything, their programme is rubbish!

I miss the good ol' days of MTV when they actually showed music videos for more than 30 seconds! Geez, how long ago was that?!? I don't even remember anymore. I remember I used to get excited waking up early each Saturday just so I could spend my whole day watching music videos. I feel sorry for the generation now who didn't get to experience what I got to experience; the pure delight of enjoying real artists and seeing their work come to play through television, I miss that. I don't know what happened to our music industry, and quite frankly, I don't know why some of the artists even bother making music videos. Most of them are repetitive, eff this, eff that, butts shakin' left and right, big cars, big house, what's the point?

Peace out MTV...you've been dead to me long before you decided to change your logo.

I loved MTV when they had videos of Michael nonstop.. at the early 90's. Now it sucks, its reality TV..

It's so sad what has become of MTV. But at least they're finally admitting they're not about music anymore.

I agree, it's so sad to see the direction MTV has taken, and I'm heartbroken. :cry: It's complete trash now, and I cannot believe this is once the station that "Thriller" and so many other MJ videos premiered on. Back in the 90's, I would watch MTV all day, especially during summer vacation. I'd be in my bedroom, dancing to all of the music videos, going to my cousin's house and watch music videos...etc. Plus, I was addicted to Total Request Live! I could never miss an episode of that.

I remember, for some odd reason, when Michael and Lisa Marie broke up, they showed MJ videos for like two days nonstop! :lol: It was so much fun to watch MJ videos nonstop!

The last time I watched MTV was their video tributes to Michael, and that’s the last time I’ll be watching that station. I’m glad that they at least removed “Music Televison” from their logo, because to call it that, and show these trashy reality shows, it was such an insult to what MTV use to be.

The only decent music stations today are FUSE and VH1 Classic. VH1 has turned into trash too, with the reality shows they have as well.

why would anyone have an urge to do dumb as hell reality shows over music? and worse...making reality show stars...'STARS'! now we have pointless half brained rich annoyances on the red carpet following Paris Hilton's 'career'. and these 'celebs' have bad attitudes too. what happened to respect, like in michaels height out in public?
At least when other music channels show something non/music its a sitcom or a nice movie, you know. okay some have reality bits too, vh1 isnt so great either, but i did like their past 'The Surreal Life' reality show, it was like celebrity Big brother UK. mtv is way worse...really has trash shows. we really need a new music channel, one truly devoted to music, and not only rock music like vh1 or vh1 classic, or black only music on bet/centric, or how MTV was only about teen generation music, we need something new, devoted to ALL music from all American artists, no discrimination. Mtv is gone. has been gone. i find it odd how we have so many movie stations, truly devoted to movies with a passion, but not music!!!!! we always go off course and do totally different things on these channel that have nothing to do with the beauty of music. music makes the world go 'round people!
youtube doesnt always cut it, i want to be able to watch music tv too. i guess as usual its mostly switching back and forth from Fuse, centric, vh1 classic, bet.

and these 'celebs' have bad attitudes too. what happened to respect, like in michaels height out in public?
Famous people always had bad attitudes like Bette Davis, Frank Sinatra, Joan Crawford, Lucille Ball, Babe Ruth, Sean Penn, Chuck Berry, Diana Ross, Wilson Pickett (who was known as 'Wicked Pickett'), and many others.

"If you watch the channel, you've seen that it's definitely going in a new direction. We really wanted to see the logo featured in a new way, and this was really meant to be able to house all the great things that are happening at MTV at any given time."

No sh!t. I realized that 10 years ago.

I don't understand the logo change. It's still "MTV" right? But they clearly don't play "music" anymore so what does the "M" stand for? This crappy channel just needs to change it's name entirely. It's sad the direction it took with this reality crap. Those shows target and brainwash teens and turn these "nobodys" into "famous nobodys."

True that. It's nice they're finally getting that through their thick heads.

As someone here mentioned, they took the time to air those marathons of Michael's videos and that proved that they could still play music videos. They just won't for God knows whatever reason. Why in the world they'd chose reality TV (which is probably 90% scripted anyway) over music is beyond me. Thank God for VH1 Classic.

Farewell MTV...finally. haha.

MTV plays videos in the morning, then it's reality. As far as their reality shows go, I've been impressed with the Teen Mom/16 and Pregnant series. And the new one, The Buried Life, still makes you happy there are good people in the world (Monday's episode made me cry...)

Back