Motown 50 - Yesterday Today Forever

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
Motown 50.com is up and running. No dates are released yet except but M50 will be celebrated from the fall of 08 til 09. Will MJ appear or perform? Let the speculation begin, although I haven't seen one mention of The Jackson 5 yet on the website.

www.Motown50.com

Thanks for posting. There's not much info available up yet about the events but the t-shirt looks good.

I don't see anything about the J5 either. They only have Michael's name in the Motown artist thingy....or did I miss it? :read:

Being that Motown is 50, MJ is 50 and Thriller is 25, it would makes sense for MJ and The Jacksons to appear but it looks like we'll just have to sit and wait per usual :) Would be cool for The Jacksons to perform with MJ performing a new track like M25 with Billie Jean. Would be a nice follow up seems we've seen the M25 performance on nearly ever MJ home video released.

Thanks for posting. There's not much info available up yet about the events but the t-shirt looks good.

I don't see anything about the J5 either. They only have Michael's name in the Motown artist thingy....or did I miss it? :read:

I thought it was odd to wendy i mean after all they have Diana listed with the Supremes and they have a seperate solo section on her. Also they have the Commodores listed but not Lionel listed seperately and he had a huge career as we know solo who knows what their deal is with not giving the J-5 a seperate entry?

Imagine:
Jackson 5 Re-union medley
Billie Jean
.."i like those songs a lot, magic moments, bla bla, but I also like.. the new stuff"
New song

Would be cool:) Highly unlikely that Motown would allow him to perform TWO non-Motown songs. I can see Billie Jean from a historic point of view though.

^ even so this is not Michael Jackson News so I'm going to move this to the Music Makes the World Go Round section :flowers:

The website looks spiffy :kickass2:

^ even so this is not Michael Jackson News so I'm going to move this to the Music Makes the World Go Round section :flowers:

I have a feeling this will need to be moved back as time goes by ;)

That Motown (my hometown) Sound that I grew up on, aw yeah! Nothin' else like it.

It would be a great time for J5 and MJ to break out with some new material and begin a tour, maybe together :wild:
:angel:
I can't see them not being a part of the celebration :D

Michael Jackson - Live Motown 25
by Natate

It is very strange they didn't posted the J5, I know everyone thinks Michael is the big star, but the rest of the brother's work should be recognized too.

The last special they had barely had any Motown acts in it. Lionel Richie hosted it. I didn't watch much of it, but I remember Kelly Rowland of Destiny's child took Diana's place in the Supremes, lol.

I have a feeling this will need to be moved back as time goes by ;)

No hun, this is where it'll stay ;)

Michael Jackson and the Jacksons weren't the only great names to come out of Motown.
If he is featured on his site, then we will post it in the daily news thread on that day ;) other than that this thread is in regards to the Motown website. Motown was bigger than Mr Jackson ;)

Maybe the site is still under construction? They might not have got around to adding all the stars of Motown yet. Even the events and press released sections have no details yet either.

Thats fine but if MJ does appear, it doesnt make sense to make a 2nd thread. ;)

Michael Jackson and the Jacksons weren't the only great names to come out of Motown.

This I agree with.
Motown was bigger than Mr Jackson ;)

This I beg to differ. This is your opinion but you can go to a Zulu tribe in Africa and they know who MJ is, they wont necessarily know Motown. My point here is that MJ is far greater than Motown ever was or will be. Also MJ made it big after he left Motown.

Last edited:

You don't read so well do you?

It wont be a new thread. Re-read her post. I bolded the line you omitted in your response.

If he is featured on his site, then we will post it in the daily news thread on that day ;) other than that this thread is in regards to the Motown website. Motown was bigger than Mr Jackson ;)

Back on topic, I'm liking the look of the website it's very clean cut.

Last edited:
ok let's get back on topic this thread is about the Motown 50 website

This I beg to differ. This is your opinion but you can go to a Zulu tribe in Africa and they know who MJ is, they wont necessarily know Motown. My point here is that MJ is far greater than Motown ever was or will be. Also MJ made it big after he left Motown.

My comment has been misinterpreted, probably due to me typing it up so quickly and not elaborating, but in Motown's hey day MJ was just as big as The Supremes and a few other greats from there. What I was trying to say is that on Motown's website MJ doesn't have a right to be overshadowing other Motown artists due to them being just as popular as he was back then.

I'm not referring to his status now and being identified by Zulu tribes etc

:yes:

The group in my siggy are Motown legends. :)

ok let's get back on topic this thread is about the Motown 50 website

My comment has been misinterpreted, probably due to me typing it up so quickly and not elaborating, but in Motown's hey day MJ was just as big as The Supremes and a few other greats from there. What I was trying to say is that on Motown's website MJ doesn't have a right to be overshadowing other Motown artists due to them being just as popular as he was back then.

I'm not referring to his status now and being identified by Zulu tribes etc

Ahh I see. Well then I whole heartedly agree ;)

Imagine:
Jackson 5 Re-union medley
Billie Jean
.."i like those songs a lot, magic moments, bla bla, but I also like.. the new stuff"
New song

Would be cool:) Highly unlikely that Motown would allow him to perform TWO non-Motown songs. I can see Billie Jean from a historic point of view though.

OMG, I would love to see him saying these words. I think I need to dream, because I don't think it will ever happen. The idea however is cool.

MJ wont be able to please everyone cuz if he performs, it'll get compared to his original appearance (+ we're not shocked to see all the amazing dance moves MJ can do like the were then), and if he doesnt, then peeps will be upset that he didnt. Poor guy cant win.

J5 saved Motown from Bankrupcy and today the only reason why Motown 25 is talked about is because of MJ's performance there. Tons of other artist performed yet no body remembers them. I love MotownI really do, but I would say theat the jackson 5 were the biggest act they ever had, whether they admit it or not. I do niot think that Motown 25 will have the same magic though, does it even exist any more.?

Motown's last biggest hit was Boyz II Men.
Thanks. Were they mre successful than the J5? Motown was about to close down and move to la to go nto films when the j5 turned up. Rumour has iot they were shutting shop. The J5 saved them from bankruptcy. Berry gordy still owes them kids lots of money on royalties.

Funny but when I always hear discussion about MOTOWN RECORDS, Michael Jackson/The Jackson 5 are the last people talked about, they're not seen as "ambassadors" to the Motown sound as their Detroit neighbors:

The Supremes
The Vandellas
The Temptations
The Four Tops
Stevie Wonder
Marvin Gaye
Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
Diana Ross
Mary Wells
...etc, etc.

Plus the J5's success didn't save Motown from bankruptcy. Motown was still pretty much ON TOP when the J5 arrived in 1969. Only things they did was revive the nickname Motown was granted: "the sound of young America" (since most of the older Motown acts were approaching or were at their 30s) and much like the Supremes did, give the Beatles chart trouble (even as THEY were splitting up).

Plus the Jackson 5 had a brief existence in Motown from 1969 to 1975. The first three being the most successful, the later years being a formative period where MJ began to discover his own voice but was being told to do what Motown wanted him to. It's much like Gladys Knight & the Pips. Their existence in Motown was between 1967 and 1972 or the Isley Brothers (1966-1968).

The strangest thing is that AFTER these three groups from different cities (Ohio, Indiana, Georgia) LEFT Motown they found BIGGER SUCCESS in other labels. Yeah when people think of the Jackson 5, it's usually the FOUR number-one hits and "Dancing Machine", but they don't automatically think "Motown legends" though technically they are despite of their six-year existence in that label.

Lionel Richie, Rick James, DeBarge and Boyz II Men are the real reasons Motown is still running to this day.

And Berry Gordy didn't say the Jacksons saved Motown from bankruptcy, he said "they were the last big stars to come rolling off the Motown assembly line (1959-1972)" which they were.

Back