MJ's Public Memorial wins NAACP Award

elmari

Proud Member
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118015841.html?categoryId=13&cs=1

At one point in during the event, things got political. Michael Jackson's memorial, which aired on AMC, BET, CNN, MTV and NBC bested President Obama's Inaugural Celebration (HBO) but the president won in the news/information category by popular vote, scoring the prize for his BET televised Inauguration.

Outstanding Variety -- (Series or Special)
"The Michael Jackson Memorial: Celebrating the Life of Michael Jackson" (ABC, BET, CNN, MTV, NBC,…)

oh well. I don't think "congratulations" is appropriate in this case....

What a pity that This Is It didnt win category - Outstanding Motion Picture

On the other hand its an honor imo that the Memorial won.
It shows the impact of the public and TVs....

Wow, don't really know what to say about that?
On the other hand its an honor imo that the Memorial won.
It shows the impact of the public and TVs....

I agree. People tuned into the memorial and participated to celebrate Michael FOR Michael. I think that's an honor...

I still think its wrong that the memorial was even nominated in this category. Its a memorial service, not an entertainment show.

A special thanks to dr M who made the memorial possible..

I still think its wrong that the memorial was even nominated in this category. Its a memorial service, not an entertainment show.

I agree that's just plain weird, nominate "This Is It' instead not a funeral.

I missed the majority of the program but figured something would be mentioned
about Michael. I surely didn't think it would be the memorial service tho.

Wasn't anything else said/shown about his works? :unsure:

Last edited:
I'm glad the NAACP gave Michael Jackson's
Memorial Service an award.
They did the right thing,
because Michael Jackson is worthy of all Honors. :cheers:

to some his passing ./funeral/memorial was entertainment. If I recall correctly at some awards function he was also nominated in the category ''entertainer of the year'' go figure. I don't how he entertained people in the past year, as he died before his big show started, I guess those people too found his passing entertaining.

oh well. I don't think "congratulations" is appropriate in this case....

thought the same thing too.....

BTW.....I don't know about anyone else, but if you watched the show last night that ever so small tribute to Michael could've been done better, this is the NAACP Awards after all!

to some his passing ./funeral/memorial was entertainment. If I recall correctly at some awards function he was also nominated in the category ''entertainer of the year'' go figure. I don't how he entertained people in the past year, as he died before his big show started, I guess those people too found his passing entertaining.

I think that might have had more to do with his record sales and "This Is It" being out in theaters.

His memorial service was nominated and won? Something else should have been nominated. I can't even watch it again or don't have the desire even though I taped it. It's too much.

I caught the brief mention of him. It was short and I barely caught most of it.

It is very odd that this memorial was even nominated and won for "outstanding variety special." But I suppose one can argue that this event really was well put together considering the short preparation time and the very touching performances and speeches. I guess it helps to look at it that way.

wow I feel all these things are part of a desperate attempt to fill the emptiness he left behind, but all this "appreciation" is in vain really...it's just desperate and pathetic

I agree. Giving Michael the Lifetime Achievement Award would've been very appropriate.

That 'win' (if you want to call it that) Friday night was MJ's 15th Image Award. Among his NAACP honors are awards for Humanitarian, Medal Of Freedom, and Entertainer Of The Year. Let's hope their nominations committee adds the Hall Of Fame award to MJ's list in 2011.

Marty In LA

first time I've ever heard of someone's memorial getting an award and being acknowledged as "entertainment" :ermm:

wow I feel all these things are part of a desperate attempt to fill the emptiness he left behind, but all this "appreciation" is in vain really...it's just desperate and pathetic

yeah they crossed the line in a very pathetic way.

Back