MJ's Pre "Off The Wall" Solo Albums

Hey, since today is my 39th anniversary of officially being a Jackson fan - that's right, I said 39th, I just have to brag a little and say I have all those albums on the original vinyl! I just wish I could get them professionally recorded onto cd's so I can take them with me in the car. Cassette tapes are just too time consuming to track back through to hear the ones's you want LOL!!!:tease:

Ticie,
The JACKSONOLOGIST

Honestly I never listened to any of them in their entity :( :( :(

Shame on me.

But I LOOOOOOOOVE I wanna be where you are most.

I wonder why some of the songs are considered "solo". The brothers can be clearly heard on some tracks as well as on some of the early Jermaine stuff.

Music and me (definitely too short, like speechless)
Happy
One day in your life
You've got a friend
Ain't no sunshine
In our small way
I wanna be where you are

I only have got to be there :(
its hard to find the others for sale here...

but i looove

aint no sunshine
rockin robin
music and me
ben
just a little bit of you
my girl
happy
dapper dan (adore this one)

and many others...i love his voice when he was young...and the musics are all great!

i love all those records..i never understood why pple just mention off the wall and up as mj solo albums.

I believe Michael's voice was extremely strong, and somewhat very different from his current. At his young age he was singing at the status of an Adult who took vocal training for over 20 years. These albums are what started Michael as a Solo Artist.

My Top Ten

1-Aint No Sunshine
2-Dear Michael
3-Music and Me
4-One Day In Your Life
5-Call On Me
6-Rockin Robin
7-Ben
8-Who's Lovin You
9-We've Got Forever
10-Maria

Last edited:
Aint no sunshine..omg..total bliss lol..and call on me..*goes 2 listen*

Well I dont think were underrated. Most of those songs sounded just like the earlier Jackson 5 hits its was more of a formula. Plus, the biggest factor was, most of those album Motown released when Michael was on another label and he wasnt even promoting them!

I love:

Aint no sunshine
Music and Me
Ben
Dear Michael
One day in your life
Melodie
Farewell my summer love
and some others

btw I do have all of the albums and recognize them very much! yay I'm a good fan:)

These songs need more recognition cause they really are AMAZING! I loove his songs pre OTW!
Lotsa ppl only know the songs they put out as singles, and MAN are they missing out!

Last edited:
not really. i mean vocally he was great and the production was cool but the best songs on those albums were 3 times better than the overall material IMO and come on all those motown solo albums put together ain't touching off the wall or thriller. i love the hits off those solo albums on motown but those albums on a whole are better than average but not classics. MJ Motown albums to me would have kept him in Jermaine Jackson territory for a career.

those Old MJ albums would have tight songs but back then MJ wasn't a albums artist. that came with time. back in the day aside from Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder motown wasn't known for pushing album oriented acts. they sold the single and had hits but alot of filler.

^^^Im not saying that they are better than post OTW era, but they are not worth not hearing, and I cant put them down b/c Michael sang them beautifully!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure, those albums weren't anything groundbreaking but there are still some great songs on all those albums. The fact that this part of Michael's career is largely ignored not only by the general public but by most fans as well says to me that the music he recorded during this time in his career is in fact underrated.

some of my favourites right now are:
I wanna be where you are
maria
got to be there
morning glow
music and me
when I come of age
who's looking for a lover
love's gone bad
huntxu3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's more soul in Got To Be There than in Invincible...

Last edited:
Back