MJ’s missed opportunities

filmandmusic

Proud Member
- Not performing Stranger In Moscow live. Purely based on the visual performance and dancing it is pure brilliance, live vocals would have been the icing on the cake.

- Michael not re scheduling his “one night only” shows. This purely because it was supposedly more intimate and different.

- Michael not using any of the other countless Motown hits in his live medley.

- Not releasing Baby Be Mine and The Lady Of My Life as singles. An album with all songs released as singles would have been so cool and unique.

- Michael not performing at live aid (duet with Mick Jagger anyone?)

- Michael failing to hold the toe stand on Motown 25

PS Am I the only one who thinks how Michael would have sounded on Billie Jean during Motown 25? He only did the Motown medley where his voice sounded particularly great. He wasn’t coming from a gruelling touring schedule, he was fully rested and his set with his brothers was basically about 5 min only.
I think he could have pulled it off with sounding almost as good as on the album that night without compromising on the dancing.

- Michael failing to hold the toe stand on Motown 25
Give the guy a break! He's a dancer, it was the first time for that routine. Sometimes things go wrong in live performances, it happens. Michael hated that it didn't go as planned but, c'mon, it's not a missed opportunity. It's not like he didn't nail it loads of times after that.

Personally, I love it bc of the way he recovers himself and keeps going. He doesn't lose his cool, he doesn't lose the beat ...

wth, f&m? 🤨

- Michael not re scheduling his “one night only” shows. This purely because it was supposedly more intimate and different.
Michael Jackson had to move on with his career and he was also busy with more important upcoming projects at that time (shooting new music videos from the 'HIStory' album, preparations for his upcoming, giant HIStory Tour, and so on).

Re-scheduling and performing the 1995 HBO 'One Night Only' concerts at later dates would have happened at the expense of these more important projects, so this cannot be really seen as a missed opportunity.

My only gripe is that on tours pre-1992 he relied too much on live vocals. According to others on this very forum he was a really bad live singer. Thus, and thanks to other recent eye-opening posts, I'm so glad we have all these brilliant TV performances in pristine album studio vocals. I understand that it's impossible, for a TV program/award show, to have their own individual soundchecks/setups for each performer for just one song of the evening but hey, who cares about circumstances?![/s]

Give the guy a break! He's a dancer, it was the first time for that routine. Sometimes things go wrong in live performances, it happens. Michael hated that it didn't go as planned but, c'mon, it's not a missed opportunity. It's not like he didn't nail it loads of times after that.

Personally, I love it bc of the way he recovers himself and keeps going. He doesn't lose his cool, he doesn't lose the beat ...

wth, f&m? 🤨
I actually prefer the way that it ended up, with him twisting his feet inwards as he walked back to the mic stand. I could feel the frustration in the following corkscrew kick. it only added to the dramatic impact of the performance for me. it was raw. it wasn’t routine at this point. it was as though he was reliving the story live onstage, and the audience just happened to be witnesses. he created a moment like no other. for this reason it’s my favourite 💜

I actually prefer the way that it ended up, with him twisting his feet inwards as he walked back to the mic stand. I could feel the frustration in the following corkscrew kick. it only added to the dramatic impact of the performance for me.
Agree with all of this. I adore the performance just as it is - not that I'm suggesting f&m doesn't like it - and, sure, there's a lot of emotion in that performance. I remember being really pleased with Fred Astaire's 'angry dancer' quote bc someone 'got' Michael. There's a deeper anger in his dancing but also a more fleeting anger bc of the mistake.

it was raw.
It really was! :)

it wasn’t routine at this point. it was as though he was reliving the story live onstage, and the audience just happened to be witnesses. he created a moment like no other. for this reason it’s my favourite 💜
(y)

Agree with all of this. I adore the performance just as it is - not that I'm suggesting f&m doesn't like it - and, sure, there's a lot of emotion in that performance. I remember being really pleased with Fred Astaire's 'angry dancer' quote bc someone 'got' Michael. There's a deeper anger in his dancing but also a more fleeting anger bc of the mistake.

It really was! :)

(y)
fred astaire’s approval sealed it. there were things that michael did during that performance that he hadn’t done since. I felt that it was more emotional than technical. it was a stark difference to the medley with his brothers. which was amazing in itself, but it was playing to the crowd versus him looking inward and expressing himself. just as james earl jones said, michael reached an audience that night that had never seen his videos or watched him on television.

Not having a good band in his glory days. No disrespect to the musicians who toured with him, but they were average at best (excluding Darryl Phinneesse, who was extraordinary). The background vocalists were especially awful. Every other major act far outpaced him in terms of a live band. The This Is It group was by far his best, but they still didn’t measure up to other acts. Imagine him up there with Bruno Mars’s or Justin Timberlake’s bands.

Plus, why on Earth did he never use a live horn section? That would’ve knocked me the hell out. L

I would say not getting to do a second super bowl actually. It would've been one for the ages.

I would say not getting to do a second super bowl actually. It would've been one for the ages.
The only He did is for the ages. It's not one year he doesn't get brought up & only did it once. I think it's monumental
Not having a good band in his glory days. No disrespect to the musicians who toured with him, but they were average at best (excluding Darryl Phinneesse, who was extraordinary). The background vocalists were especially awful. Every other major act far outpaced him in terms of a live band. The This Is It group was by far his best, but they still didn’t measure up to other acts. Imagine him up there with Bruno Mars’s or Justin Timberlake’s bands.

Plus, why on Earth did he never use a live horn section? That would’ve knocked me the hell out.
I agree with EVERYTHING you've said ESPECIALLY what's in bold. Sheryl ruined the bad tour for me & a horn section like the triumph tour?? Man!!!!

The only He did is for the ages. It's not one year he doesn't get brought up & only did it once. I think it's monumental

I agree with EVERYTHING you've said ESPECIALLY what's in bold. Sheryl ruined the bad tour for me & a horn section like the triumph tour?? Man!!!!
I really liked Sheryl on Bad Tour 88 leg. She added a lot to the sound. She was better than Siedah Garrett was on Dangerous Tour. She sounded amazing on the album but completely different on tour.

I’m a perfectionist. I mean I want Michael’s performances to be perfect 😇
It’s professional. He can’t wave his arms and stop what his doing either lol
wth, f&m? 🤨
🖕

I’m a perfectionist.
I know you are, mate! I get it.

I mean I want Michael’s performances to be perfect 😇
Michael was a perfectionist. But he's not a robot. Stuff happens. Sometimes, when stuff happens, the event becomes even more memorable. The toe stand moment has never bothered me, in fact, I genuinely love it. A spin is pretty easy, really. The toe stand is hard, much harder. It probably worked every time he rehearsed it and then it just didn't happen in the moment.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. :D

It’s professional. He can’t wave his arms and stop what his doing either lol
You've lost me! 🙃 🤣

It was good, but the MTV in 95 was infinitely better, so a show with that level of finesse and even imagine, This Is It level pyrotechnics... There would be no question who is the greatest half time show performer. As it is, it's somewhat depending on who you ask.

I know you are, mate! I get it.

Michael was a perfectionist. But he's not a robot. Stuff happens. Sometimes, when stuff happens, the event becomes even more memorable. The toe stand moment has never bothered me, in fact, I genuinely love it. A spin is pretty easy, really. The toe stand is hard, much harder. It probably worked every time he rehearsed it and then it just didn't happen in the moment.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. :D

You've lost me! 🙃 🤣
I know where it went wrong. He did the toe stand straight after multiple spinning. On his tours he took a brief pause after the spinning and then did the toe stand. Out of pure disgust he then did a nasty cool toe stand when holding the mic stand.

It is still my favorite Billie Jean performance because he does so many little moves and it was all timed perfectly. It feels completely in the moment, I’m sure he was improvising for most of it.
The intro dance was rehearsed obviously, the moonwalk and spin too but everything else comes from someplace else I believe.

On tour he keeps his best moves for the encore because he is focussed on the singing more

Missed opportunities:
- Releasing HIStory without the greatest hits disc. Now HIStory is seen by many (outside the fan world) as a 'greatest hits album with some new material'. It would have been better without the first disc. (Especially knowing how many compilation albums would follow.)
- Performing something else than Dangerous on tv.
- Doing an unplugged concert.
- Having Slash do a guitar solo on Privacy after shouting 'Slash!'
- Singing all new interpretations of songs on Thriller 25 himself, without Akons and Fergies.
- Asking David Lynch to make a complete short film for Dangerous, instead of just a 30 second teaser.
- Refusing remixes on Blood on the Dance-Floor, even though Sony really wanted that, and keep it an EP as a gift for fans, just like he wanted.
- Sticking to the demo version of The Girl Is Mine, which is a solo version of the song and much better than the duet version with Paul McCartney.
- Starring as Edward in Edward Scissorhands (still not sure what happened there... apparently Michael wanted the role, but there are several stories why he didn't get it... It would have been huge for his movie ambitions!)

Missed opportunities:
- Having Slash do a guitar solo on Privacy after shouting 'Slash!'
That would have made no difference at all, because most fans actually still believe that Slash (and not Michael Thompson) does the guitar solo on the 'Privacy' song.
Missed opportunities:
- Releasing HIStory without the greatest hits disc. Now HIStory is seen by many (outside the fan world) as a 'greatest hits album with some new material'. It would
The 'HIStory' album with only one disc of new songs would not have sold well.

Keep in mind that it was mainly because of the disc with his classic hits which made the 'HIStory' album sell so many copies.
Missed opportunities:
- Starring as Edward in Edward Scissorhands (still not sure what happened there... apparently Michael wanted the role, but there are several stories why he didn't get it... It would have been huge for his movie ambitions!)
Let's be honest about that:

Having Michael Jackson starring in such film roles would have looked unconvincing, embarrasing and even laughable.

- him starring in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: he would have fit as Wonka, especially the voice
- What More Can I Give song in 1999 and 2001
- Stop Playin' collaboration with T-Pain
- Dangerous short film
- Smile short film
- "Gone" duet with Justin Timberlake

Having Michael Jackson starring in such film roles would have looked unconvincing, embarrasing and even laughable.

Well, I both agree and disagree... I think Michael wouldn't fit in most movies. Simply because he is Michael Jackson: how could you 'unsee' the best known man on the planet, if he has to act to be someone else? Look at the short film for Bad: he was portraying a guy named Darryl, but we were all looking at Michael Jackson. The same thing goes for Captain EO... het is portraying EO, but we are all seeing Michael Jackson. But he can escape it sometimes... the mayor in Ghosts is no longer Michael Jackson. I was impressed by Michaels capability to change this voice – with a little digital help may be, but he sounded really different. I think Edward Scissorhands could have worked for that reason. With the costume, and the make-up, and the messy hair... I think Michael could transform in Edward. And since Edward is kind of shy... I think Michael fits his personality as well.

But hey... we've never seen Edward Scissorhands starring Michael Jackson, so I could be totally wrong!

Everything after 1999 feels a bit like a sad end to a wonderful career that peaked in the '80s. Of course there were still nice things, I think Invincible is quite a nice album, but there could have been so much more if MJ had unfortunately not gone completely off track. Of course I understand that he was having a hard time and that there were all kinds of causes, but we can dream, right? Sometimes I fantasize that he had stayed healthy and continued to release albums and tour, like Mick Jagger, how old is he, over 80? And that he had built an amusement park like Dolly Parton has with Dollywood. Neverland could have been a nice amusement park with all kinds of MJ-like attractions such as Captain EO and a Michael Jackson roller coaster and so on. He could have been some kind of Walt Disney.

Neverland could have been a nice amusement park with all kinds of MJ-like attractions such as Captain EO and a Michael Jackson roller coaster and so on. He could have been some kind of Walt Disney.
I wonder why he didn't have captain eo at Neverland🤔

And I would love it if MJ would have become Spiderman. I mean Toby Maguire has played Spiderman in his 40s now in No Way Home

And I would love it if MJ would have become Spiderman. I mean Toby Maguire has played Spiderman in his 40s now in No Way Home
MJ didn't exactly look normal so they never would have chosen him for the role. I think the plastic surgeries were the biggest obstacle that prevented him from getting roles.

MJ didn't exactly look normal so they never would have chosen him for the role. I think the plastic surgeries were the biggest obstacle that prevented him from getting roles.
Yea they might not have chosen him probably why he wanted to buy Marvel to play spiderman. But as a fan it would have been cool to see Michael play spiderman. Maybe in his Bad or Thriller era it would have been more suited but I don't know maybe Spiderman should always be white actors because all Spiderman actors are white and during that time this concept of Spiderman movie wasn't developed yet. And I've also heard that MJ had the idea to make Marvel a movie franchise like it is today which is why he wanted to buy it besides the reason mentioned above. But I don't know whether if it is true.

perform Show You The Way To Go live on his solo tours
Missed opportunity for me, would love to have seen him perform at least one intimate show, just him and a microphone and a very intimate band as much as I love his dance moves I think it would have created such a buzz, and also wish he would have interacted with his audience more, just my thoughts

Back