MJJC Daily News Thread [July 9 2009].

MsSnoop

Proud Member
Here it is - the official MJJC place for News for Thursday, July 9, 2009.....

only the 'news' is still as strange as always....

*********************************​

Corey Feldman has been dressing like Michael Jackson a long time ...

Los Angeles Times - Former child star Corey Feldman -- who has had his own well publicized battles with drugs over the years -- was a friend of Michael Jackson's back in the ...

Can Jennifer Hudson's duet with Michael Jackson win a Grammy?

Los Angeles Times -
Of all the musical highlights at the memorial service to Michael Jackson, none was more bone-chilling than Jennifer Hudson's rendition of "Will You Be There ...

Did someone say shopping?

Michael Jackson helped develop merchandise for London event

And it's coming to a retailer near you. The late singer was intimately involved in brainstorming what would become more than 300 items to be sold in conjunction with the 'This Is It' concert series.​

By Dawn C. Chmielewski​

From his rented mansion on Carolwood Drive, Michael Jackson sketched out ideas for the merchandise he planned to sell in conjunction with his "This Is It" concert series at London's O2 Arena, including a varsity jacket and a red handbag with a diagonal black stripe that evoked his costumes from the "Thriller" music video.​

The May brainstorming session resulted in designs for more than 300 items, including jigsaw puzzles and games for children and rhinestone dog tags. The collection will go on sale as soon as this week at such retailers as Hot Topic, Target, JCPenney and Spencer's.

That a veteran performer would be intimately involved in the development of such concert-related items is not unusual. What is notable is that Universal Music Group -- not Jackson's label, Sony Music Entertainment -- developed the product line and marketing plan through its merchandise division, Bravado. As CD sales decline, all the major labels are seeking nontraditional sources of revenue.​

Sony retains rights to most of Jackson's recordings and music videos, while Universal owns the Motown catalog, including music from the star's childhood career as part of the Jackson 5 and as a soloist.​

The merchandising plan enables Universal to capitalize on the resurgent popularity of the King of Pop beyond the sale of such CD compilations as "Jackson 5 the Ultimate Collection" or "The Millennium Collection: The Best of the Jackson 5."​

Bravado is unveiling the line in a partnership with Jackson's concert promoter AEG Live, which holds merchandising rights associated with the scheduled 50 London concerts, according to one person familiar with the deal terms.​

Typically, artists can earn 5% to 10% of their income from merchandise, although that percentage can be greater for major acts or those that are touring in support of a new release, according to music industry managers.​

Bravado said its revenue has doubled over the last 18 months.​

Other major music companies, including Warner Music Group and EMI, are pursuing a similar strategy. EMI reached a landmark deal with British pop singer Robbie Williams in 2002 in which it participated in revenues from touring, merchandise sales, endorsements, book publishing and DVDs. Over the last 12 months, more than 90% of the new artists signed to EMI have reached contracts that extend beyond recorded music. Warner Music also has struck similar so-called 360 deals with its artists.​

Universal Music took control of Bravado with the purchase of Sanctuary Group in 2007, as part of the company's strategy to expand its business beyond the ailing compact disc. Bravado has offices on virtually every continent, and it is developing a range of products for popular artists, including a line of sunglasses for Kanye West, handbags for Beyonce, and intimate apparel for Katy Perry.​

Tom Bennett, Bravado's chief executive, said he emphasized the company's global reach in initial meetings in May with Jackson's manager, Frank Dileo, and AEG Live CEO Randy Phillips and, on the following day, in a session with Jackson. "He explained to me what he thought and how he wanted things to be done," Bennett said of his conversation with Jackson. "He was very specific. He had a very deep grasp of merchandising and worldwide marketing."​

Bennett said Jackson insisted on going beyond the traditional concert T-shirt by developing a fashionable line that even acknowledged the concert venue with a tea set.​

Bennett said he had a subsequent two-hour meeting with Dileo, Phillips and Jackson on June 4, three weeks before the pop star's death, where he presented designs and prototypes of the tour merchandise.​

"He got so excited, so enthusiastic, he did a little dance move at the end," Bennett said. After the singer's death, Bravado finalized terms with AEG. The promoter signed the contract Monday, but Bravado withheld an announcement until Jackson's memorial services ended Tuesday in Los Angeles. AEG is believed to have notified the family as a courtesy. The firm did not return calls.​

It is unclear whether the Jackson estate will share in the proceeds. Bravado executives declined to project sales for the new line.​

The greatest challenge, Bennett said, is to combat the proliferation of bootleg merchandise.​

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1971 - The Jackson Five began taping its first TV special, "Going Back To Indiana."

1981 - The Jacksons began the 36 city "Triumph Tour."

1998 - Janet Jackson set a gross revenue record of $875,000 at the MCI Center in Washington, DC. The previous record was set by Yanni on January 31, 1998, with $860,300.

2004 - The judge in the Michael Jackson child-molestation case ordered the prosecutor to take the stand and explain a raid on a private investigator's office. The investigator worked for Mark Geragos (Jackson's lawyer at the time) and the judge questioned whether Jackson's attorney-client privilege had been violated.

mjkid.jpg

The MJ Top Ten Tribute

[9 July 2009]

The ultimate list of icons to pay performance tribute to THE icon.

The ultimate tribute. A collection of Jackson tracks—ballads and beats—offered by those who would best immortalize his name...

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/107585-the-m.j.-top-ten-tribute

Thank you for the news. When I heard Michael speak at the end of Will You Be There I completely lost. I remember listening to that song and looking up at the ceiling with my MJ poser when the first set of allegations came out. I knew then, my heart and soul, that if I was going to love Michael it was going to have be unconditional and that I would stand by him no matter what. So hearing that at the memorial just plain broke my heart.

My love is still unconditional Michael. Always will be.

Jackson 'This Is It' waxwork on show in London

ALeqM5i3UgBiRtnZhuPMscXd8QPzPvuaAg

LONDON (AFP) — A waxwork of Michael Jackson made to mark his planned "This Is It" London comeback concerts went on show in the British capital on Thursday.

The US singer, who died on June 25, had been due to play 50 gigs at London's O2 Arena from July 13.

The depiction of Jackson at Madame Tussaud's waxwork museum shows him in his prime in a classic performance pose, matching the "This Is It" concert posters.

Only Queen Elizabeth II, who has been replicated 20 times by Madame Tussaud's, has been depicted more than Jackson.

"As the response to his tragic death has shown, Michael Jackson was one of the most powerful forces in contemporary music and culture and he has remained one of the most popular personalities at Madame Tussauds throughout his career," said spokeswoman Liz Edwards.

"We enjoyed a very special relationship with Michael and this is the 13th time we have portrayed him, a reflection of that popularity.
"It was always our intention to make this figure a celebratory one, signalling his much-anticipated return to the stage but also acknowledging all of his incredible achievements.

"We hope it will still be a celebration."

Jackson's new figure was created using information gathered at a sitting the singer gave in 1989, together with extensive photography and research to reflect the "This is It" image.

The star is dressed in a black Fedora hat, white v-neck T-shirt, sparkly black jacket, white glove, black ankle-length trousers, white socks and black loafers.

"I have produced 100 waxworks but they don't come any tougher than Jackson's," said the sculptor Stephen Mansfield.
One of the first fans in, Mark Crew, 29, from Yeovil in southwest England, wore a Jackson-style outfit in tribute.

"I am absolutely thrilled by this new version... there is something timeless about this waxwork," he said.

"I was concerned about which version of Jackson they would choose to imitate -- I don't think fans would have wanted him symbolised in his latter years."

Matt Blank, spokesman for the World Michael Jackson Network, said: "The new waxwork will undoubtedly be very popular. It is in this sad time that people need to share their grief, not just through tears but also through celebrating the life and legacy of the 'King of Pop'."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gPeKDeWMvoVBdoQixZm2Sq_XcZEQ

Michael was obviously 100% hands on with everything about TII, its hard to read things like this now knowing that he was so focused on it.

Right about now,my excitement levels should've been hitting the roof at the mere thought of Michael being days away from taking to the stage again..instead just overwhelming sadness consumes me.

Neighbors of Jackson family say they are fed up with Michael Jackson memorial disruptions

Neighbors who live near the Jackson family compound in Encino said they are fed up with the crowds of fans and media and are hoping their community gets back to normal soon.

Residents met last night with Los Angeles Police Department officials to vent their concerns about the onslaught of media attention, which prompted the city to close Hayvenhurst Avenue to all but local residents.

"It's going on and on and on and on," one Jackson neighbor told KTLA News. "The poor guy is dead. Leave the family alone."

The media descended on the Jackson compound hours after Michael Jackson died two weeks ago, and the neighborhood hasn't been the same since. Fans continued to trickle over to the Jackson property on Wednesday, even as the LAPD began to take down the makeshift memorial that fans have created in front of the home. Hayvenhurst, meanwhile, has been reopened to the public.

One neighbor told KTLA's Jason Martinez that the neighborhood won't get back to normal until the media leaves. And it's unclear when that will happen.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...ith-michael-jackson-memorial-disruptions.html

Re: Neighbors of Jackson family say they are fed up with Michael Jackson memorial disruptions

can they stop whining?

Re: Neighbors of Jackson family say they are fed up with Michael Jackson memorial disruptions

Screw them! Go on vacation or something

Fuck them...go into your houses you assholes...

i agree. i was out there everyday since last tuesday and people were acting total idiots and being utterly disrespectful. most of those who were there werent even fans,but they started taking everything down yesterday so im sure things are going back 2normal

oh jeez.. those people can go back in their houses then. stfu people!

My heart bleeds...not.

Im sure things will settle down this week, though the residents ought to give more thought to their neighbours, the Jackson family, who are going through hell.

Michael Jackson reference cut from 'Bruno' film

A movie scene featuring Michael Jackson's sister La Toya has been cut from comedian Sasha Baron Cohen's new film 'Bruno' following the death of the singer last month.

The scene featured Baron Cohen, in character as flamboyant gay fashionista Bruno, making the late singer's sister eat sushi off naked men and an attempt by Bruno to get Michael Jackson's mobile number.

Universal Pictures said that the scene had been removed from the film "out of respect" for Jackson and his family, reports BBC News.

'Bruno' is released in UK cinemas on Friday (July 10). Click on the video below to watch the trailer.

http://www.nme.com/news/michael-jackson/45910

Nosy f*ckturds.
The Jackson family has lived there for 30yrs. Ain't like they moved in last night.
No one forced these people to move next to them.
If ya don't like it..... MOVE

I feel like flying to LA just to punch each and every single one of them! If you don't like it then get lost!! Bloody hell we just lost like the best person ever!

Don't they have better things to do than to moan?!
The earth has lost their greatest human being and all they can do is complain that their stupid little neighbourhood-peace is disrupted?!!

Jees, people should really get a life...

I think you're being a bit harsh guys. It sounds like the residents are complaining about the media being there and saying they should be leaving the family alone (as well as not disrupting the neighbourhood in general).

I happen to agree with that. I think it's ridiculous that the media camps outside the Jackson home after they've just lost a member of their family, they should give them some privacy and some space.

Edit: I know the headline says they're fed up with 'memorial disruptions' and mentions 'crowds of fans', but there's nothing in the article that actually supports that. Just one quote saying "leave the family alone" and another saying the neighbourhood won't get back to normal until the media leaves. It seems to me the neighbours' problem is with the media, not the fans, and the rest is media spin.

Absolute pricks!!!!!!!!!!!

Nosy f*ckturds.
The Jackson family has lived there for 30yrs. Ain't like they moved in last night.
No one forced these people to move next to them.
If ya don't like it..... MOVE

:lol: OMG :hysterical:

All of these people here that are trashing the neighbors probably wouldn't like camera people and a whole bunch of people you don't know anything about, camped out in front of your (or the neighbors) house 24 hours a day, everyday making noise, blocking the street, and throwing trash everywhere.

All of these people here that are trashing the neighbors probably wouldn't like camera people and a whole bunch of people you don't know anything about, camped out in front of your (or the neighbors) house 24 hours a day, everyday making noise, blocking the street, and throwing trash everywhere.

Maybe not, but there is no need for them to be so insensative about it is there?

I live in Oklahoma. I have loud ass neighbors. Their always shooting off fireworks or guns. Their dogs bark all night long. We have a stop sign at the corner that people just stare at as they speed pass. Kids are always screamin' and yellin'. Had a guy O.D. last month.
Buncha f*ckin' rednecks.
You get use to the noise and people around all the time. I'm sure the neighbors will get over it.

Understandable. I would lose my damn mind if I had a media circus on my front doorstep.

Re: Michael Jackson reference cut from 'Bruno' film

Thats actually very nice of them to do, considering how brutal this kind of humour tends to be. :)

yall, chill a second and read the article...

the neighbors are fed up with the media being there. the media then twists the story to divert your attention from that, by mentioning the fans. any of the neighbors have to be used to a fan presence.
"It's going on and on and on and on," one Jackson neighbor told KTLA News. "The poor guy is dead. Leave the family alone."

focus your anger and pain people

I live in Oklahoma. I have loud ass neighbors. Their always shooting off fireworks or guns. Their dogs bark all night long. We have a stop sign at the corner that people just stare at as they speed pass. Kids are always screamin' and yellin'. Had a guy O.D. last month.
Buncha f*ckin' rednecks.
You get use to the noise and people around all the time. I'm sure the neighbors will get over it.

WoW Is Oklahoma really like that?

It's just been the second week that the worlds most famous personality had passed away....I'd be a little more understanding...ofcourse things will die down soon enough. I understand the frustrations with the media hanging about their neighbourhood but who are they kidding mouthing off to the very people they want out. idiots.

Re: Michael Jackson reference cut from 'Bruno' film

Good. That's nice of them to do this.

Back