MJJC Daily News Thread [July 1 2009]

MsSnoop

Proud Member
We're trying to clean up the thread

Please put ALL NEWS here for July 1, 2009 - put the tabloid ish in its place along with the TMZ stuff.

So here goes:

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Members of Michael Jackson's family have met with officials from the police and California Highway Patrol about funeral services for the King of Pop.

California Highway Patrol spokeswoman Fran Clader says the meeting was held Tuesday afternoon and "details are still pending."
There has been intense speculation since Jackson died Thursday over where and when a memorial service will be held.

One potential site is Jackson's Neverland Ranch, which is located in the rolling hills of central California's wine country, about 150 miles northwest of Los Angeles.

Officials from the local board of supervisors, the county executive and law enforcement met Tuesday to discuss the possibility of restricting parking along parts of Figueroa Mountain Road, which runs past Neverland.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Michael Jackson's will gives guardianship over his children to the singer's mother and leaves all his assets in a trust fund, a person with knowledge of the document told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The word came just a day after the family said in court documents it believed the entertainer had died without a valid will and moved to take control over his estate.

The will was signed on July 7, 2002, and named as executors Jackson's longtime lawyer John Branca and John McClain, a music executive and a family friend, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the topic. The Jackson family and its lawyers are reviewing the document, the person said.
According to a statement given to CNN's "Larry King Live" on behalf of Branca and McClain, the two men are carrying out Jackson's wishes and "it is their sincere desire that Michael's affairs be handled with dignity and respect."

That designation complicates a petition by Jackson's mother Katherine to become the administrator of his lucrative, but debt-encumbered estate.
In documents filed in Superior Court on Monday, Jackson's parents say they believe their 50-year-old son died "intestate," or without a valid will.
Judge Mitchell Beckloff granted 79-year-old Katherine Jackson temporary guardianship of his three children, who range in age from 7 to 12.
He also gave her control over some of her son's personal property that is now in the hands of an unnamed third party. But the judge did not immediately rule on her requests to take charge of the children's and Jackson's estates.

Experts said the personal bankruptcy of Jackson's parents in 1999 could work against Katherine taking control of the estate.
Court documents show Katherine and Joe Jackson filed for Chapter 7 and listed nearly $24 million in debts that included court judgments, auto loans and credit cards. The only valuable asset listed was a house in Las Vegas then valued at $290,000. The bankruptcy was terminated in March 2007, but the documents gave no further details.

"I think it would be a negative factor but not necessarily a disqualifier," said Beth Kaufman, a Washington, D.C.-based attorney specializing in estate tax issues. "It could indicate that she is not capable of sound financial management."

Jackson was recently in shaky financial health. In the most detailed account yet of the singer's tangled financial empire, documents obtained by The Associated Press show Jackson claimed to have a net worth of $236.6 million as of March 31, 2007.

Since that time both Jackson's debts and assets grew substantially — he refinanced loans later that year that increased his debt load by tens of millions of dollars, but the Sony/ATV Music Publishing joint venture also spent hundreds of millions acquiring new songs.

Jackson's health also was a concern in his final days. A nutritionist who was working with the singer as he prepared his comeback bid said Jackson was so distraught over persistent insomnia in recent months that he pleaded for a powerful sedative despite warnings it could be harmful.
Cherilyn Lee, a registered nurse whose specialty includes nutritional counseling, also said she got a frantic phone call from Jackson four days before his death that made her fear that he somehow obtained Diprivan or another drug to induce sleep.

Meanwhile, Sheriff's Lt. Butch Arnoldi said authorities met Tuesday based on speculation over a possible memorial at Neverland, but Jackson's family had yet to reach out to them for assistance with any kind of memorial.
"We have not been contacted by any member of the family or any representative of the family, talking about or requesting any kind of event," he said.

Neverland is located in the rolling hills of central California's wine country, about 150 miles northwest of Los Angeles. A public funeral there on a busy holiday weekend could bring the rural area's roads to a standstill.
Officials from the local board of supervisors, the county executive and law enforcement met Tuesday to discuss the possibility of restricting parking along parts of Figueroa Mountain Road, which runs past Neverland.
County Executive William Boyer said the meeting was to prepare in case a public event was staged at the ranch, which would overwhelm the two-lane narrow road with media and fans. He said he was not in contact with the family and was not aware of their wishes.

California Highway Patrol spokesman Rick Quintero said the CHP had not received a request for a motorcade. "They would definitely need to notify us because it's going to impact the motoring public," Quintero said.
It was unclear whether Jackson could be buried at the ranch. California Funeral Directors Association executive director Bob Achermann said state law would prohibit Jackson's uncremated remains from being interred at Neverland.

The state's health and safety code makes interring any uncremated remains outside of a cemetery a misdemeanor, he said. Cremated remains can be kept in a home or private mausoleum outside a cemetery, he said.
At once a symbol of Jackson's success and excesses, Neverland became the site of a makeshift memorial after his death Thursday. Scores of fans have streamed past the gated entrance to leave handwritten notes, photographs, balloons and flowers.

On the other coast, meanwhile, Jackson fans converged on New York City's famed Apollo Theater on Tuesday for a public tribute to the performer, clutching photographs, cheering and dancing to his music at the legendary venue that launched the one-time child star's career.
The Rev. Al Sharpton gave a rousing speech praising the pop star to hundreds of fans who crammed into the theater as others waited in line outside to pay their respects.

"Michael made young men and women all over the world imitate us," Sharpton said. "Before Michael, we were limited and ghettoized. But Michael put on a colorful military outfit, he pulled his pants up, he put on the one glove, and he smashed the barriers of segregated music."
The promoter who booked Michael Jackson for a sold-out comeback tour said Tuesday that footage of the singer's rehearsals may be released in the future, and that an all-star tribute show based on his canceled concerts is likely to take place.

Associated Press writers Michael R. Blood, Lynn Elber, Noaki Schwartz, Jacob Adelman, Anthony McCartney, Thomas Watkins and AP Music Writer Nekesa Mumbi Moody in Los Angeles; Michelle Rindels in Santa Barbara; and Jennifer Peltz and Stevenson Jacobs in New York contributed to this report.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iJN6FHrmT75HzSZChIb2PDzFEDXgD995E8C01

Michael+Jackson+Case+Continues+3xh6kyYeF3Il.jpg

=============================

MONTREAL — Stevie Wonder says people must keep on celebrating Michael Jackson's musical legacy.

Wonder says it is important to forget what various spin doctors are saying about Jackson, who died last Thursday at the age of 50. Wonder is urging people to cast aside all the negative talk and just focus on singing Jackson's songs and dancing to them. The 59-year-old Wonder was speaking at a news conference in Montreal where he is giving a massive outdoor concert tonight to kick off the city's annual international jazz festival.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gnGx_avEvv8nMyuAIT-x3WDMi1RA

=================================​

Local trio share inside take on Michael Jackson

South Coast Today -
"But Michael Jackson came onstage and did one spin and 50000 people went crazy." Tavares' relationship with Michael and the Jacksons allowed them to get a ...

Hip Hop, R&B community unite for Michael Jackson

Examiner.com -
The hip hop community has come out strong while remember Michael Jackson. After his untimely passing last Thursday, many MCs are coming to bat for MJ. ...

Michael Jackson tribute, in butter, at 2009 State Fair

Radio Iowa -
The woman who sculpts the Iowa State Fair's "butter cow" plans to make a butter sculpture of the late Michael Jackson for this year's ...

Tiger Woods pays tribute to Michael Jackson

Sydney Morning Herald - World golf number one Tiger Woods paid tribute to the late Michael Jackson, calling the King of Pop a musical icon whose work influenced him and whose ...

Michael Jackson's Death Takes Impact on 'American Idol' Audition

AceShowbiz -
In the wake of Michael Jackson's death, fans of him turned up for "American Idol" audition at Los Angeles' Rose Bowl. Associated Press said that the ...

Last edited:
Re: MJJC Daily News Thread [July 1 2008]

It think it is amazing if the family hasn't even contacted local authorities about their plans. Someone is dragging their feet or they don't know what to do.

I love this photo..thankss.
:( still sad

Well, I have heard it all. People of New York are standing outside looking at the face of Michael in the clouds! Boy, they really do miss him, huh?

Shouldn't the title say 2009?

I will let her know about the wrong year. Thanks for letting us know =)

Thank you for the news.

Re: MJ Breaks Another Billboard Charts Record

Thanks for this but it should be posted in the news thread, as requested by mods.

Surely something as big as this should have it's own thread though?

Just to be clear, the albums won't chart on the Billboard 200 because of a technicality (Catalog albums are not eligible to appear on the Billboard 200), but they ARE the top selling albums in America. The top three selling albums in the country are MJ albums... pretty cool.

Yep. Over 400,000 sales of albums (90% of that since Thursday/Friday), and 1.8 million singles downloads!!!

Great, great news! I just with the freaking mainstreem media would write about this....

A beautiful picture of Michael and Kathrine.

Congrats my angel! I know he'd be so happy about that looking down from the sky. He is also number 1 in the UK.

Hmm... great, but seeing that he has to die to achieve that, I can't really say that I'm happy about it!

Michael will be like one of those artists of renaissance and victorian eras? that the value of their paintings after they passed went beyond their wildest imaginations in their lifetimes. While Michael did amass much in his lifetime, seems perhaps beyond life, he will amass even more... will be good for the babies. it's all good.

This is great news, though it's sad that he get's this admiration after his death, and not before. But I have a question; why are you saying that he only has the first three albums? In the article it says that Michael has the nine first albums on the list. "Based on preliminary sales numbers from Nielsen SoundScan, the entire top nine positions on Billboard's Top Pop Catalog Albums chart will house Jackson-related titles when the tally is released in the early morning on Wednesday (July 1). "

You know I get a sense that despite all the crap some keep throwing out there now to sensationalize this, more and more are stepping forward to have their voices finally heard of who Michael really was as a person. What is sad about it was that the media could have listened to them a long time ago but chose not to do so.

What is precious though is that those close to him and interacting with him now always talk about the strength and joy he had in his life right now. And this is different from the picture painted by those with more limited or past times.

We are all rocking with you Angel, even in Heaven you leave them all for dust.

This is amazing!!

"Based on preliminary sales numbers from Nielsen SoundScan, the entire top nine positions on Billboard's Top Pop Catalog Albums chart will house Jackson-related titles when the tally is released in the early morning on Wednesday (July 1)."

Top Pop Catalog: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Albums&f=Top+Pop+Catalog

Waiting for the charts to update today, I'll take a screenshot ;)

You know I get a sense that despite all the crap some keep throwing out there now to sensationalize this, more and more are stepping forward to have their voices finally heard of who Michael really was as a person. What is sad about it was that the media could have listened to them a long time ago but chose not to do so.

Yes, and I'm glad those voices are heard now. It's just sad that we didn't hear it as much as before. Being a fan, we already know a lot of those things people are talking about, but it is wonderful that we can actually have these types of articles and interviews. As sad as it is, it makes me feel happy that we can have those positive voices spread the word about Michael.

This is great news, though it's sad that he get's this admiration after his death, and not before. But I have a question; why are you saying that he only has the first three albums? In the article it says that Michael has the nine first albums on the list. "Based on preliminary sales numbers from Nielsen SoundScan, the entire top nine positions on Billboard's Top Pop Catalog Albums chart will house Jackson-related titles when the tally is released in the early morning on Wednesday (July 1). "

Because that article is talking about the "Top POP catalog albums". I am refering to ALL albums sold in the USA last week - not just "POP" or "Catalog".

Just to make it clear. Out of all the albums on sale last week (including Black Eyed Peas etc.), 3 of Michael's albums made up the top 3 places.

It is those stories that have been a source of strength for me. I have shared clips and articles with friends who are surprised at how devastated they are by Michael's death. They have thanked me for providing them with a better understanding of the man. They now critically analyse the news that they get - no more swallowing things wholesale.

There will always be those who will believe the worst but there are others who are willing to listen and learn. I am reaching out to those people now.

Last edited:

It is those stories that have been a source of strength for me. I have shared clips and articles with friends who are surprised at how devastated they are by Michael's death. They have thanked me for providing them with a better understanding of the man. They now critical analyse the news that they get - no more swallowing things wholesale.

There will always be those who will believe the worst but there are others who are willing to listen and learn. I am reaching out to those people now.

can u post a list of the articles you used please?

It is those stories that have been a source of strength for me. I have shared clips and articles with friends who are surprised at how devastated they are by Michael's death. They have thanked me for providing them with a better understanding of the man. They now critical analyse the news that they get - no more swallowing things wholesale.

I am doing the same thing. And I am saving those stories just to remind myself of this later, whatever happens.

Back