MJ Performing Billie Jean Different

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
I remember Mike once saying that he wished he could perform Billie Jean a different way but us fans wouldnt let him cuz we expect the moonwalk during that bridge, we expect the spin and the standing on the toes.

Would you care if MJ did BJ different? I wouldnt. I like how MJ changed Dangerous over the years. Wonder what he'd do with BJ if he did change it around?

I wouldn't like him to change it. He might add some stuff in the end, just like he did on MSG 2001 which was THE BEST PERFORMANCE EVER in my opinion or some beatboxing like on HIStory tour if I am not wrong.

But come on, changing BILLIE JEAN? NO! It's like changing... BILLIE JEAN! LOL!

I wouldn't like him to change it. He might add some stuff in the end, just like he did on MSG 2001 which was THE BEST PERFORMANCE EVER in my opinion or some beatboxing like on HIStory tour if I am not wrong.

But come on, changing BILLIE JEAN? NO! It's like changing... BILLIE JEAN! LOL!

Yeah i wouldnt want him to change it. Its iconic. Its the crowd pleaser. If its pleasing crowds, why change it?

Oh by the way he aslo did beatbox at the end of his Billie Jean performance on the second MSG concert in 2001, along with the moonwalk on the spot and a second moonwalk, which was all excluded from the TV special.

But if MJs the artist, shouldnt he be able to perform how he wants? Obviously MJ has another vision of how BJ should be performed. Id like to see what he would do.

Yes, I would actually love to see a different interpretation of BJ from Michael. Maybe not for good, but like, for a special occasion or something. I'd love to see what other ideas he would have had for the song. I'm sure there are a few things he would like to do differently during some of the parts.

But, if you look at Motown 25 and then look at either the Bucharest version or the 95 VMA's version....you can see some differences. He accents his body at different times. He also added the little extension of the drum and bass line at the end to do a little more dancing. So......he has kind of evolved it since it's premier.

Just a thought.

That "frog dance" as I like to call it LOL at the MSG 2001 , when he goes sliding down,side by side,ah! Amazing! Plus the moonwalk and toe stand is FLAWLESS!

I would love to see him perform it differently at least once.
I'm very curious as to what he would do with it.I love the way he does it now but at the same time, he's been doing that dance for 25 years.

Maybe once, revamp the entire Billie Jean performance for just one night, just to see how a new one looks like.

I think it's too late (or never is too late?). It would be interesting and I'm curious how he would do it, but yeah...maybe sometimes. In spite of the fact that Michael is a genius...simply I can't imagine Billie Jean without all this things like moonwalk.

Last edited:
yeah, I just spoke about thison another thread here http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49755 lol! anyway

I love Billie Jean the way it is, and he should keep the dance the same! And it is iconic! If he wanted to do it differently THAT bad, the he probably would (and I'd have no problem watching it!)- I get the feeling that not too many ppl can tell him what to do ! LOL

Basically, I love the "iconic-ness" (yeah, I made that up) of many of the things MJ does, SO many things about MJ are ICONIC (and that is really cool to me )!!!! and the moves go so perfectly with the song- only when he does them LOL

and changing that would make the original less "iconic" (wow- am i using this word to death, or what??!!!) and it would bring the whole "Billie Jean" performance a notch down as a historic performance (i think- but its hard 2 explain)

BUT- does it really matter? I just want to see him DANCE! (or do anything else in the world -lol)

Last edited:
Ohhhh i love that dance, great impresonator!!! I wish i could imitate Michael like that!!! And yes i would love to see Michael dance BJ in a diferent way, why not? Let Michael dance from his heart, thats what makes him so good, and if he feels like changing it... Go on Michael, and change it!!!

Last edited:
a Jazz slow downed version unplugged would be cool and different IMO with conga drums and trumpets played slowly and smoothly in the background.

I agree that an unplugged version would be nice to hear/see cause we rarely see MJ sit and just sing a song without dancing. I wouldn't mind it if decided to do Billie Jean differently, just to see what he would come up with.

a Jazz slow downed version unplugged would be cool and different IMO with conga drums and trumpets played slowly and smoothly in the background.

Oh Lord, I wanna see that!!!

Just think about it: Michael sitting on a bench singing w/ the mic still on the stand. Congas for the drums. A double bass for the bass line, or acoustic bass guitar. Brass doing the "hoo's" in the background. And a small chamber orchestra for everything else. Real Jazzy!! Of course, i'm an unplugged nut, so I would like it if he decided to do the dance or not!!

i would not mind if he did different just as long as he did the moonwalk and puts on his hat

It's one of those signature performances by MJ should never be 'changed'..

(my opinion of course)

I think it's ok to add things to it, but not take out the signature things to it..

I know he's added a lot over the years.. First it was just the song..

Then song with the dance section and different ad libs..

A longer and different entrance.. (dangerous tour)

Then a new enterance with the footsteps.

Then he added the little sounds (ad libs) durring the dance section..

He kept adding to it..

I think he could add something new, and maybe ulture some of the things he added to them.. Take some out put some new ones in..

ONE performance I would like to see different though is Smooth Criminal..

I would like to see it set up like a play of sort.. Somewhat like the video, they bring out the tables etc.. It would basically be the same performance but the set is all new and different, PLUS there would be a section he dances on the table..

I would like to see it anyways.. IDK about u

Yeah i wouldnt want him to change it. Its iconic. Its the crowd pleaser. If its pleasing crowds, why change it?

Oh by the way he aslo did beatbox at the end of his Billie Jean performance on the second MSG concert in 2001, along with the moonwalk on the spot and a second moonwalk, which was all excluded from the TV special.

...Because maybe he doesn't want to please your spoiled butts anymore! Maybe it's all about him for once now! Muahahahaha!

:p

It's one of those signature performances by MJ should never be 'changed'..

(my opinion of course)

I think it's ok to add things to it, but not take out the signature things to it..

I know he's added a lot over the years.. First it was just the song..

Then song with the dance section and different ad libs..

A longer and different entrance.. (dangerous tour)

Then a new enterance with the footsteps.

Then he added the little sounds (ad libs) durring the dance section..

He kept adding to it..

I think he could add something new, and maybe ulture some of the things he added to them.. Take some out put some new ones in..

ONE performance I would like to see different though is Smooth Criminal..

I would like to see it set up like a play of sort.. Somewhat like the video, they bring out the tables etc.. It would basically be the same performance but the set is all new and different, PLUS there would be a section he dances on the table..

I would like to see it anyways.. IDK about u

Oh wow that is a GREAT idea!

Last edited:
For a special performance? Sure. Permanently? Hell no. No reason to alter class like that whatsoever.

I remember Mike once saying that he wished he could perform Billie Jean a different way but us fans wouldnt let him cuz we expect the moonwalk during that bridge, we expect the spin and the standing on the toes.

Would you care if MJ did BJ different? I wouldnt. I like how MJ changed Dangerous over the years. Wonder what he'd do with BJ if he did change it around?
sexysearchjj3.jpg

I remember him saying this. I'd be very curious to see what he came up with. So yes, i'd like to see it. But i prob wouldnt like it as much as his trademark versian lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember him saying this.

Cited by Michael as his favourite song to perform live: ‘but only when
I don’t have to do it the same way,’ he said. ‘The audience wants a
certain thing – I have to do the moonwalk in that spot. I’d like to do a
different version.'

Last edited:
hasn't the 'Billie Jean' performance evolved quite a bit over the decades ??

Bottom line, Mike is in control of the performance. Personally, I have enjoyed the changes he has executed and would welcome any vision that Michael wanted to share with us.

sorry..but if u r one of those people who needs to improve on perfection...it is time for re examination.

it takes energy for me to complain about every living thing under the sun. MJ does many great things, and i am just privelidged to experience it. IMO

tru dat however if mike feels he wants to improve on his perfection, that should be up to him and no one else :yes:

tru dat however if mike feels he wants to improve on his perfection, that should be up to him and no one else :yes:
I disagree, if I insist on him not changing a thing then that should be good enough for everyone especially Michael...:yes:

Last edited:
I disagree, if I insist on him not changing a thing then that should be good enough for everyone especially Michael...:yes:

Michael doesnt have to do anything he doesnt want too. He shouldnt have to feel obligated to do something just because his fans like it a certain way. Over the past 25 years, there is enough footage of MJ doing it the same way to satisfy the fans who like to see the same thing over and over again. What would be the harm in MJ doing it completely different for once? He obviously has an idea of how he would like to change it so let him. Who are we to say that he shouldnt? Thats just rude IMO.

Last edited:
He shouldnt have to feel obligated to do something just because his fans like it a certain way.
yes he should

Over the past 25 years, there is enough footage of MJ doing it the same way to satisfy the fans who like to see the same thing over and over again.
but I want more :(

He obviously has an idea
no he doesnt
chaos, that is no way to get to your goal mister
I dont need a way because bruce lee told me to use no way as way because if you use a way it can get your way to where you want to get, remember that...:ph34r:

Last edited:
Back