MJ crying onstage

JMie

Guests
I can't stop thinking about this moment from the Tunisia concert

Michael completely breaks down onstage and can't stop crying for real for several minutes. The emotions are so raw, it left me speechless and in tears myself. I even went to check what date it was to see if probably something unpleasant was happening at that time, but everything seemed ok. So I don't know why he cried, I guess that song it really very emotional for him. But before this concert I had never seen this happening to him onstage...

I wish I could give him a hug. It's nice that the audience kept chanting "we love you" the whole time. :wub:

He's acting! He did it every concert. Just like the 'collapse' at the end on MITM on the Dangerous tour. Showmanship.

i know that usually it's an act but have you seen this particular footage?? he is NOT acting. he is crying for real.

Yes, he used to act alot in these situations, but I think it was real this time.

JMie is right. This is much different than typical acting.
It might have an element of an act in it, but it looks... like he really cried.

yeah... he really did cry there didn't he? I never saw anything like that from him in any other concert. it took my breath away.

it's like at first it looks like the usual act but then his emotions take over and he starts crying and even shaking and can't stop. *hugs him*

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this one is acting as well.

Awww, Michael :better: :wub:
This really seemed to be something different. Don't know why he was so emotional, but it definitely makes you wanna hug him. Big time.

I also think it's still acting, but it seems to me that he was also very exhausted (or rather drained) and maybe that's why he reacted that way.
It definitely makes me want to hug him as well :better:

yeah... he really did cry there didn't he? I never saw anything like that from him in any other concert. it took my breath away.

it's like at first it looks like the usual act but then his emotions take over and he starts crying and even shaking and can't stop. *hugs him*

I agree with this..this is the same impression that I got.. ..poor Michael. ..It is hard for me even today to hear him sing this song...every-time I hear it..even from TII...I cry because Michael has seen me through so many hard times in my life..he was always there.

I wouldn't put it past him that it starts out with an act and he just got so into it that it got a tad more real than just acting alone. In the middle I got a little bit of Pentecostal Church on Sunday vibes (especially with the backup singers there)- but I wouldn't find it at all surprising if his own real emotions just made the "acting" much more real. Happens with music.

When you play music as a musician, it really isn't difficult to immerse yourself so deep in it that you really become that emotion that you just played.

Standing on a stage with that many people and raw emotion in front of you- plus his own strong emotions- whoa, that's a lot to handle.

This really is different. And much longer than usual.

It was always for real. Just this time it took longer than usual.

It's very sad when not even a lot of his own fans don't believe him and have little to zero empathy and capacity of good perception - not just regarding this 'acting' topic (come to think of it, he was at the same time deemed a lousy actor, so which one is it?), but many others..

Wow, hurtful, really.

*gets out of the thread*

Last edited:
Thank you for this JMie. He was really crying!!! It was beautiful to me, and he pulled it together at the end. What a wonderful man.

Even about the other onstage crying segments, I wouldn't say "fake". Even if he didn't shed a tear, you can believe the whole thing was real. To many of us, many J5 songs get us all emotional. It's no wonder why he got emotional during every single J5 medley. I did see his tears, invisible tears. It's like, him telling us, without any words, "Let me have my moment yall. Give me some time." He enjoyed performing, felt "accepted" when he was on stage, so you can say that he had his moment while each show was going on every tour, but what I'm saying is, the whole crying part is really about him going inside himself.

I don't think anyone in this thread meant "acting" like "faking". Of course not. Michael never faked emotions onstage, he was always sincere. Always. It's just that this time it seems like he was so overcome with emotions that it took him some time to compose himself. I don't think it happened often to him onstage. He was always so hands on with everything, even during this song. But this particular time he seems to be kind of lost, even. *hugs him again*

Oh my, that was pretty tearful there. Something must've gotten to him that particular time! I wonder. It's amazing how well he ties in to his most inner emotions.

It was always for real. Just this time it took longer than usual.

It's very sad when not even a lot of his own fans don't believe him and have little to zero empathy and capacity of good perception - not just regarding this 'acting' topic (come to think of it, he was at the same time deemed a lousy actor, so which one is it?), but many others..

Wow, hurtful, really.

*gets out of the thread*

Seriously? Michael HIMSELF said in TII "I'm trying to conserve my voice so please understand". And if you're honestly trying to tell me that MJ ALWAYS cries for years on the same spot then... ugh I don't know what to say.

It's a part of showmanship, I don't mind that segment at all. But if we HAVE to believe it's real everytime then we might as well believe the tank in ES is also real and it really was going to stomp MJ everytime right? :mello:

I know, he's breaking down during every show, but that's his moment. It never annoys me or sth, cause even if the moment is staged, his feelings are not.
And btw, I think it's abt all the shows, but with Steve Harvey he's talking abt 30th celebration:
Steve: Hey man, let me ask you this question. When you were performing on the 30th anniversary special. Did you have an emotional moment when you and your brothers was on stage? Cause there was a moment when you were performing and you kneeled down and you stayed there and your brothers were looking at you like 'OK Mike, come on'. Was that real, dog?

Michael: It's always real...and I take that moment and I try not to cry, and I usually do. But it all goes back for me, you know, to conception, you know, when we were really little babies and children. And we see all the adulation and notoriety...and it just…it's a work from God, and it all goes through me really fast.

Steve: Oh yea...

Michael: And it all goes through me....it's a real blessing. I just break down and I cry at that moment...I try not to show it to the audience, but I can't help it. You know?

Steve: Yea. Well, I saw it and I thought that was real you know. I think, uh, I think people, when they see those things in you brotha, when you let them see a glimpse of the real Michael Jackson that oftentimes your closest friends only get to see...I thought that was my favorite part of the show. I always said if I get a chance to talk to this bro' I'm going to ask him about it.

Michael: Yea.

Seriously? Michael HIMSELF said in TII "I'm trying to conserve my voice so please understand". And if you're honestly trying to tell me that MJ ALWAYS cries for years on the same spot then... ugh I don't know what to say.

It's a part of showmanship, I don't mind that segment at all. But if we HAVE to believe it's real everytime then we might as well believe the tank in ES is also real and it really was going to stomp MJ everytime right? :mello:

So does that mean when Jackson is 'crying', he tries to conserve his voice, or whatever are you talking about? Nobody said he always sang live. I don't mind the crying part either, he was beautiful.

I'm not trying to tell you, personally, anything and you're drifting way too much with other things, like one's supposed to believe whatever they see. I was referring to this particular context and yes, many others: like when he'd always say 'I love you', lots of fans didn't believe him and still don't. And you may be one of those, since he can't possibly mean this every time he says it, right, but am ready to take it back if not true. In many instances was he not taken seriously and called a liar. Others even said he had no reasons to cry, he was famous, he had money, lots of people loved him, he had everything one would ever need. Or many always say he was no damn Peter Pan, it was just an image he projected, as if innocence couldn't possibly be a part of a grown male. Well, it was a big part of Jackson, his whole house was full of Disneyana and a big part of his character was childlike.

The images here speak for themselves, too. At that particular time - the end of "I'll Be There", he takes that moment when all kinds of things build up into his mind - from his life or others', 'cause he cared too damn much about so many things, that get to him every time. It could be anything: an ill child he just visited in a hospital or a failed love of his. It's not a spontaneous thing. It looks cultivated, but he gets on his knees and thinks of sad or bad things, so he starts crying. He was a very sensitive person, more than most. And based on his interviews, speeches, songs or whatever, you sort of get the jinx of what his mind and heart were made of. But how do we know he's not lying, right?... We might try to study empathy a bit more and learn to separate it from pure showmanship: Jackson combined artistry with emotions, his emotions inspired his artistry. It's not like he cried at every song he sang, and it shouldn't be so hard for many to conceive that he actually could once at every concert.

And anyway, who should care about what everyone thinks of him, especially now? He can't be bothered with these type of things anymore, he's dead and gone.

lol

it's an act people, it is every time

that's what made him such a brilliant performer

Back