Michael's Voice -it's just me feeling like this?

claudiadoina

Proud Member
I decided to start this thread because of many things I have read on this forum, stated by many fans, regarding Michael's music.

It puzzeles me reading on a fanforum things like:
-I'm a huge fan but I don't like all the albums or I don't like all the songs on the albums
-every album has some of his best songs but also a few downers
-not everything he wrote is great
-he made mediocre music too
-I like OTW album but I don't like SOOML :shock:
-I like Invincible but I don't like Speechless :shock:
-I don' like Little Susie :shock:
-fans who don't know J5 and The Jacksons era (what a huge loss)

Me like:
I just wondering if I am the only one listening only J5, The Jacksons, Michael and by this I mean ONLY!!!!
I don't have anyother album by anyother artist and I don't listen anyother artist (swear to God never did by choice)
I listen Michael anytime I can, meaning a LOT
Even though I have listened every song (cca 1000) several hundreds of times they still have the same effect on me
I never used Michael's music as background sound, when I listen his music I just listen the music, nothing else
I LOVE ALL THE SONGS, from '68 Big Boy to Best Of Joy, I'm having hard times making a playlist, so everytime I close my eyes and choose an album or random on my ipod
I NEVER SKIP a song when I listen an album

I don't want to sound emphatic but what I've always believed is that Michael's Voice is the most beautiful thing that God ever created!Every time Michael opens the mouth magic happens for me.

Last edited:
I decided to start this thread because of many things I have read on this forum, stated by many fans, regarding Michael's music.

-I'm a huge fan but I don't like all the albums or I don't like all the songs on the albums

I like all his albums. I really do. There are songs from the J5 and Jacksons era that I don't care much. However, I like pretty much everything from OTW to Best of Joy.

To me the so-called downers are still very enjoyable. I feel Girlfriend is the only downer of OTW; nevertheless, I still enjoy it. I admit I didn't like Privacy and Cry the first time I listened to Invincible. Now, I don't think those songs are bad at all. There are no downers in Thriller, BAD, Dangerous, HIStory and BOTDF.

He's a great song-writer. Period. Of course not everything he wrote are all-time classics, but he would still have been considered a great song-writter if he only wrote Billie Jean. In additional to Billie Jean, he created Beat It, WBSS, TWYMMF, SC, WYBT, WII, SIM, TDCAU, etc... I don't know how much can people ask for.

Strongly disagree. Mediocricy does not exist in the Michael Jackson vocabulary.

Each to their own. I enjoy the demo version more.

Each to their own. I consider Speechless one of Michael's greatest recordings.

Little Sussie is difficult to listen to; yet, it's hauntingly beautiful. The song is brilliant. The images of the girl's suffereing are vivid in my mind when I listen to the song. Michael set up the imagery with his music.

-fans who don't know J5 and The Jacksons era (what a huge lost)

I wholeheartedly suggest the fans who don't listen to J5 and the Jacksons albums to give those albums a chance. Fans are missing a significant piece of Michael Jackson if they don't know the music from the J5 and the Jackson era. Live at the Forum is among my most valued albums.

Me like:
I just wondering if I am the only one listening only J5, The Jacksons, Michael and by this I mean ONLY!!!!
I don't have anyother album by anyother artist and I don't listen anyother artist (swear to God never did by choice)

I listen to other artists too. I like Alicia Keys, Mariah, Bruno Mars, etc... But, none of them can keep my attention long. I always jump back to Michael after listening to a song or two from them. Sometimes, when I listen to other artists' song, I can't wait for it to complete, so that I can move to my Michael Jackson playlist (I know I can pause the song, but I feel I should at least give other artists a chance. Lol...)

Even though I have listened every song (cca 1000) several hundreds of times they still have the same effect on me

Same here. I listen to Michael everyday. I must have listened to WYBT a thousand times. That speaking towards the end can still pull my heartstring. I always find myself stop whatever I'm doing to listen to his speaking.

I never used Michael's music as background sound, when I listen his music I just listen the music, nothing else

Well, I read newspaper and listen to Michael during my commute. Need to multi-task. But, I always need to stop what I'm reading to concentrate on his music. That's the magic of his voice. He always makes me forget where I am and what I am doing. When SIM plays, omg, I feel like I can't do anything else but to be mesmerized.

I LOVE ALL THE SONGS, from '68 Big Boy to Best Of Joy, I'm having hard times making a playlist, so everytime I close my eyes and choose an album or random on my ipod

I don't want to sound emphatic but what I've always believed is that Michael's Voice is the most beautiful thing that God ever created!Every time Michael opens the mouth magic happens for me.

I don't usually skip songs. Unless I have an urge to listen to another MJ song real bad, then I'll jump from one MJ playlist to another.

ok, we get it, you are the bestest and most biggest EVA(!!) fan! yea! congrats!

and yes that was me writing what u quoted that i dont like every song on every album and that every album has a few downers. does that make me less of a fan?? im a lifelong one!

Well...The only artist on my iPod is Michael. I melt when I listen to his voice. He could sing the phone book to me, and I would be enthralled.
Anyway, I think everybody should have the freedom to do anything they want. (but they don't know what they're missing) :cheeky:

ok, we get it, you are the bestest and most biggest EVA(!!) fan! yea! congrats!

and yes that was me writing what u quoted that i dont like every song on every album and that every album has a few downers. does that make me less of a fan?? im a lifelong one!

There was a contest and I won it?!!!:yes2:

Well...The only artist on my iPod is Michael. I melt when I listen to his voice. He could sing the phone book to me, and I would be enthralled.
Anyway, I think everybody should have the freedom to do anything they want. (but they don't know what they're missing) :cheeky:

:agree: but this doesn't mean that I understand too, how is possible not to like a song sung by Michael?!!

-fans who don't know J5 and The Jacksons era (what a huge lost)

Me like:

Is KYHU on your iPod? :D

AndreyZidane™;3332626 said:
I don't like the Casio tracks, does that make less of a fan and/or tone deaf? :D

Of course! :laugh:

No, I'm joking. Maybe I should have said "I think everybody should have the freedom to like anything they want." :D

I'm with you there. If Michael's singing on it, I want to hear it. :p I appreciate all of his songs. I do listen to and enjoy other artists though, but I'm not as crazy obsessed with them as I am with Michael. Maybe a couple artists come close, but nothing compares to Michael. However, there is only one song I find myself skipping, and that's Gone Too Soon, but that's only because I can't bring myself to listen to it without feeling really upset. I haven't been able to listen to it since the 1st anniversary of Michael's passing, but maybe one day I'll be able listen to it again. :sigh: All the other sad songs are fine, it's just that one.

Last edited:
I seriously think we should not talk about the you know what tracks. It's getting to become in every thread.

Anyhoo, I also think that Michael's voice is truly one of the most versatile and angelic voices ever. Butterflies. Need I say more?

Why is this bothering you? Just let people like what they like. I personally think you are missing out on a lot of great music if you don't give any other artists a chance. There is more out there than just Michael. I try to limit the amount of times I listen to Michael's songs and rotate them with songs from other artists. Not because I don't like Michael's music, but because I don't want to get bored with them one day. It's important to keep his music "special", at least for me. His catalogue is not that big (compared to his career span) and I think if I listened to the same songs day after day after day, I would somehow lose touch with their beauty and messages. It's the same with food. You can have a favourite meal but if you had to eat it every day, you'd want something else at some point.

Also, it's completely natural not to like every single song Michael put out. I'd find it more surprising if there was no song in his entire catalogue that you didn't like. Sure, you can love his voice and that doesn't change with the songs he sings, but considering the diversity in his style there are bound to be some songs that are less appealing to some. For example, I can't stand the song "Invincible". I've never actually managed to listen to the whole song because I skip halfway through. I think it's healthy to keep a critical view on your favourite artist's music. Just because he's your idol doesn't mean you have to love anything he puts out.

You probably didn't intend it this way, but your post comes across quite condescending to me, as if you are a better fan than others because you don't criticize anything Michael has ever done musically. :mello:

Why is this bothering you? Just let people like what they like. I personally think you are missing out on a lot of great music if you don't give any other artists a chance. There is more out there than just Michael. I try to limit the amount of times I listen to Michael's songs and rotate them with songs from other artists. Not because I don't like Michael's music, but because I don't want to get bored with them one day. It's important to keep his music "special", at least for me. His catalogue is not that big (compared to his career span) and I think if I listened to the same songs day after day after day, I would somehow lose touch with their beauty and messages. It's the same with food. You can have a favourite meal but if you had to eat it every day, you'd want something else at some point.

Also, it's completely natural not to like every single song Michael put out. I'd find it more surprising if there was no song in his entire catalogue that you didn't like. Sure, you can love his voice and that doesn't change with the songs he sings, but considering the diversity in his style there are bound to be some songs that are less appealing to some. For example, I can't stand the song "Invincible". I've never actually managed to listen to the whole song because I skip halfway through. I think it's healthy to keep a critical view on your favourite artist's music. Just because he's your idol doesn't mean you have to love anything he puts out.

You probably didn't intend it this way, but your post comes across quite condescending to me, as if you are a better fan than others because you don't criticize anything Michael has ever done musically. :mello:

amen to everything you just said!

To each his/her own....However, no one can ever claim Michael Jackson wrote any mediocre music. He didn't have it in him.

Thank you everyone for the replies.
I didn't want to be condescending by no means.I thought a lot before starting this thread and it turned out not being such a good idea.
I didn't want to prove anything and I was sincere.

It won't happen again.

Last edited:
There are some songs I like and there are some I don't. Everyone has their reasons, just as some have their reasons for liking everything that he's ever done. It's all right. MJ is probably the only solo artist, I can honestly say, that I really enjoy, but even then there are a couple of songs I don't really like all that much. One of them being SOOML, but not because of him, it's the overproduction on it. It overwhelms him singing.

There are other artists I enjoy as well, but even then I have songs I hate/can't stand/don't listen to. It happens.

I personally love all his albums from OTW to MICHAEL. I have to admit though there are songs in Invincible I don't like so much.. I really think there are his worst genre songs, but it doesn't mean they are bad songs, just comparing it to Michael's other songs. For example Cry is his weakest of his anthem songs, I believe. I think it is perfectly natural not to like some songs here and there, but for the most part I love 90% of his songs.

I also don't listen to anything but Michael. And I am perfectly content with that. Other artists bore me or I am not interested in them in the least. In my Ipod I have The Essential and MICHAEL. I listen to this every day and in fact the last song I listen to before I close my eyes is KYHU, it helps me with the stresses of life,it is beautiful.

There are many other songs that will be out so I look forward to all of them. I also look forward to adding all j5 and Jacksons albums to my collection. So lots to look forward to!

I love Michael's catalog, but what I listen to from his catalog depends on my mood.

I find myself enjoying more of the album tracks nowadays instead of the hits. Songs like Get On The Floor, She Drives Me Wild, Smile, Best Of Joy, If You Don't Love Me, Keep The Faith, etc.. You know what I mean?

claudiadoina, I agree with you. I love all Michael's albums and I don't understand how some fans can call some of his songs "crap" or even refer like that to a whole album (I am talking about Invincible). I could never understand such things coming from a fan. As for The Jackson 5 and The Jacksons catalogue, I listen to those songs but only because Michael is the singer. I am not interested in other Jacksons at all and often skip their songs.

I listen to some other music from time to time, but that's mostly musicals or some tv shows/movies sountracks... Michael is my main artist and the only one whose music never gets old.

To be honest, your a fan if you like one song. So really it all depends on tastes, I obviously have songs which I prefer to others, which you always will do.

I don't think much to 'Girlfriend' but I do listen to it occasionally.

To be honest, your a fan if you like one song. So really it all depends on tastes, I obviously have songs which I prefer to others, which you always will do.

I don't think much to 'Girlfriend' but I do listen to it occasionally.

really, does it really take so little to be called a fan? probably that's a language difference... In Russian "a fan" has a more intense meaning, it shows that you are really devoted to that musician/actor etc and their art, that you single them out, that they are special to you. I might like a lot of songs by many different artists but I would never call myself their fan, because I am not :) I am only a fan of Michael, and I think it takes more than one song... But again, probably that word has a different meaning in different languages.

It's a nice thread claudiadoina, thank you.

if someone call him/herself as a "huge fan", he/she cannot say those things you listed.

I'm a huge fan of Michael, only him. Not the others. Just and only Michael's fan!!!. i love all his songs since the "Big boy" to the last song we will hear from his voice. It's enough for me that Michael just say only one letter from the alphabet. Do you remember the tape records his voice training with seth riggs on the phone? He was saying "mi mi miii" something like that. many times i listen to those records just to hear his voice.

Also songs written by him are amazing, all of them are the best songs of the world and will be the best forever. Other songs from other mosicians, Michael makes them best songs in the world, too. For example, Thriller wouldn't be The Thriller today if Michael wouldn't have sing it, i think.

on my ipod, there are only Michael's songs. not any other musicians. many nights if i cannot sleep into, i opened my ipod and listen to the E.T. story book record read by Michael to sleep. it is my bed time story.. by the way i'm 29. :)

Michael is a gift from God, He is the biggest and the greatest talent... He is the meaning of music. Music is Michael and Michael is music.

i wish English was my native language or could speak English very well to talk about Michael from the mornings to the nights with you through these threads.

i hope you all understand my feelings with my poor English.

i love you all...

with L.O.V.E.

^ A fan is someone who appreciates the music of someone, and if that means its only one song or maybe the whole catalogue, it shouldn't matter.

I dislike that there seems to be "levels" and "standards" when it comes to listening to Michael's albums or songs. Who cares if someone doesn't like Little Susie? Does that make them a "bad" fan? I certainly don't listen to the song every single day, but I can appreciate the artistic value of it.

My favourite era of Michael was when he was in the Jacksons, doesn't make me any better than the person who loves Thriller because that's more famous. A fan is a fan.

I love and apperciate all his songs...apart from 2000 watts. :mello:

^ You're kidding, that's my favourite song on Invincible haha! See, everybody has different favourites. Doesn't make them any less of a fan, it gives the community variety and sparks conversation. :)

Back