Michaels gift to Elizabeth Taylor up for auction in New York.

Re: MJ, Elizabeth Taylor and now a new owner has Sandra Di Portanova's "monkey necklace"

well I hope the new owner loves it as much as Liz did,,the monkeys are very cute...:)

IT'S A BLING THING
Michael Jackson, Elizabeth Taylor and now a new owner has Sandra Di Portanova's "monkey necklace"
By Shelby Hodge
12.14.11 | 09:39 am
While the auction of Elizabeth Taylor's jewels set a world record for a single collection at Christie's Tuesday night, there was an interesting Houston connection. Among the numerous pieces fetching a total $116 million was the so-called "monkey necklace" and earrings, designed for Baroness Sandra di Portanova by her husband, Baron Ricky di Portanova.

That dazzling Houston duo, who kept the money flowing as generously as oil from their deep Texas wells, was known for an extravagant lifestyle, over-the-top parties and a penchant for very serious jewelry.

Ricky regularly lavished his bride with baubles and beads, including 20-karat diamond earrings and a 26-karat engagement ring, all the while fancying himself as an artist and designer. He created the monkey necklace set, complete with golden bananas, as a surprise gift to the baroness.

When the di Portanova jewels were sold, after their deaths, at auction at Christie's in 2000, the monkey necklace and earrings went for a mere $55,000. The diamond and emerald set eventually ended up in the hands of Michael Jackson, who presented it as a gift to Elizabeth Taylor.

The whimsical, some would say bizarre, necklace and earrings sold for $260,000 in the auction of Taylor's jewelry.
The auction brought in a record $115 million,

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsd...ner-has-sandra-di-portanovas-monkey-necklace/

Re: MJ, Elizabeth Taylor and now a new owner has Sandra Di Portanova's "monkey necklace"

well I hope the new owner loves it as much as Liz did,,the monkeys are very cute...:)

When I first saw the monkey necklace and earrings, I was like "ugh... they are cute... but, no thanks." Then I showed the picture to my mom, she said "oh they are so special... " She adored the set. :giggle:

Thanks the OP for posting the history of the jewel. It's intriguing to see how the jewelry was in hands of people with totally different backgrounds in different period of time. Elizabeth was right when she said she's a temporary custodian of the lovely jewelries.

When I first saw the monkey necklace and earrings, I was like "ugh... they are cute... but, no thanks." Then I showed the picture to my mom, she said "oh they are so special... " She adored the set. :giggle:

Thanks the OP for posting the history of the jewel. It's intriguing to see how the jewelry was in hands of people with totally different backgrounds in different period of time. Elizabeth was right when she said she's a temporary custodian of the lovely jewelries.

thats funny,,,yeah they are cute but,,I ,,myself,,,would not wear them. They look very heavy.

Yeah she did. She bought 3 jade bracelets. Elizabeth is her idol and Kim thinks jade has some sort of healing power or something like that.

[h=1]Elizabeth Taylor Auction Tops $150M[/h]Updated: Saturday, 17 Dec 2011, 5:25 AM EST
Published : Saturday, 17 Dec 2011, 5:25 AM EST
(NewsCore) - A weeklong live auction of Elizabeth Taylor's prized possessions ended Friday with a flurry of jaw-dropping sales that pushed the final take to more than $150 million.
Mementos that Taylor collected from her celebrity pals were particularly hot at Christie's New York -- most notably, an autographed picture from Michael Jackson that went for $146,500.
On it, the King of Pop penned "To My True Love Elizabeth, I love you forever, Michael Jackson!" The picture portrait had an estimated value between $2,000 and $3,000.
"What's extraordinary is the memorabilia went through the roof because of the love of Elizabeth Taylor," according to Christie's Americas president Marc Porter. "The affection for her has also driven prices. We've seen an outpouring of love for her from all over the world. It was unprecedented."
The four days of live-auction action reeled in $154.2 million.
An online-only auction, which ends Saturday night, was expected to rake in several million dollars more.
Proceeds are being split between Taylor's estate and her AIDS foundation.

Read more: http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpps/ent...50m-dpgonc-20111217-gc_16432746#ixzz1gnKYwuvX

Mementos that Taylor collected from her celebrity pals were particularly hot at Christie's New York -- most notably, an autographed picture from Michael Jackson that went for $146,500.
On it, the King of Pop penned "To My True Love Elizabeth, I love you forever, Michael Jackson!" The picture portrait had an estimated value between $2,000 and $3,000.
"What's extraordinary is the memorabilia went through the roof because of the love of Elizabeth Taylor," according to Christie's Americas president Marc Porter. "The affection for her has also driven prices. We've seen an outpouring of love for her from all over the world. It was unprecedented."

I would add to mark porter's statement, that the price for this particular picture was driven by affection for michael jackson as well.

Arnie Klein re-appears... :p

"Arnold W. Klein -
Dearest Elizabeth,
your work in the field of HIV has revolutionized an epidemic. My only regret is that during your lifetime I was unable to secure the Congressional Metal of Freedom for you. In January I too will hold an auction of many of the gifts from you,Michael, Carrie ,Cher,Mrs Walt Disney, and many of the other incredible people who came into my life. Ultimately a large portion of these these will be use to continue our fight against HIV...I swear to continue our battle. Arnie".

Arnie is a tool. I loved how Liz ripped him apart on twitter regarding the whole MJ is gay-story... Arnie Klein always makes it look like he and Liz was THE Best of Friends

Arnie Klein re-appears... :p

"Arnold W. Klein -
Dearest Elizabeth,
your work in the field of HIV has revolutionized an epidemic. My only regret is that during your lifetime I was unable to secure the Congressional Metal of Freedom for you. In January I too will hold an auction of many of the gifts from you,Michael, Carrie ,Cher,Mrs Walt Disney, and many of the other incredible people who came into my life. Ultimately a large portion of these these will be use to continue our fight against HIV...I swear to continue our battle. Arnie".

Arnie is a tool. I loved how Liz ripped him apart on twitter regarding the whole MJ is gay-story... Arnie Klein always makes it look like he and Liz was THE Best of Friends

Klien is an absolute IDIOT! Liz made her feelings clear on twitter about him, so this charade he continues to display is just ridiculous.

Back