Michael singing Doobie Brothers! What else does he contribute as a backing artist?

How could someone afford to have Michael as a backing vocalist?!?! Or do they just call up a favour??
Back in the 70s and early 80s, Thriller haden't hit yet, so Mike wasn't that big. So he wouldn't have been particularly expensive, if he charged. I know with Joe King Carrasco, Mike just happened to be in the same studio where Joe was recording and asked Mike to sing on his record. It was a spur of the moment thing and don't think he was paid.

How could someone afford to have Michael as a backing vocalist?!?! Or do they just call up a favour??

I would call it a favor. Most of the people he has done it for have been family, friends, or a protege.

Probably like this ......Phone call......

RIIINNNNGGGG.....RIIINNNNGGGGG

Mike: Hello

Diana Ross: Michael how are you doing today.

Mike: I'm well, just shining my grammys and working on some new sounds.

Diana: Well I could use an extra voice on a track if you have time this evening.

Mike: ............

Diana:Hello....Michael?

3 seconds later..... Knock at door

Mike: Let's get ready to work. I have so many ideas. Can you spin and hold a note?

Diana: I love you Michael

Mike: I love you more

i wish those et people would stfu so we could hear him sing!! oh well he looked cute

Very cool! Never knew this. Now I have to listen to these songs all over again to see if I can hear him, too. Michael McDonald rocks! :punk:

Thanks for the awesome footage! :flowers:

just listened to "All I Do" by Stevie and even though MJ's voice is so distinctive, his voice blends nicely with everyone else. Wow!

HQ Video Download / Stream

Michael Jackson's impromptu singing of pieces from the Doobie Brothers classics "Minute by Minute (I Keep Holding On)" and "What a Fool Believes" over the phone to his best friend Elizabeth Taylor in 2003. Michael Jackson provided the backing vocals for one or more original Doobie Brothers tracks, a rarely known fact. The video was recorded by Bryan Michael Stoller and unseen until now. Much better audio and video quality is available in the downloadable version.

Better video/audio version download at: http://rapidshare.com/files/261979039/MJ_ET_Doobie_Brothers.avi.html

Stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpXK19Ik9z0
Wow thank you so much!!! Mike looks soooo cute. Sounds cute too!

he also song back up for a Stevie Wonder song called ALL I DO...
when a member of the Ojays called in to Steve Harvey to pay
tribute to him... he told that story of the Ojays and Michael doing
backup for that song for Stevie...

the more of these stories I hear..the more I know we truly lost someone special

OMGSH no way! I love that song its one of my fav's i listen to it all the time and its on my ipod i can't i never noticed michael i'm gonna have to listen to it again. you know since june 25th i haven't listen to my ipod except from the day after to play michael songs. i haven't played anybody but michael's music since that day but when i'm ready i'll have a listen to that stevie song again. it's who sings background on some songs but you'd never know. Did you know whitney houston and her mother cissy sang bg vocals to chaka khan's original version of "i'm every woman" when she was only 14 years oldthen she remade it herself in the early 90's.

Also can you believe i've never even heard of the doobie bros til today! lol

just listened to "All I Do" by Stevie and even though MJ's voice is so distinctive, his voice blends nicely with everyone else. Wow!

Yea, his voice just jumps out in that song.

...but for some reason I just can't hear him on the track Minute by Minute. :(

ive been watching this clip for days,man i wish he was still here..and i looooove that jacket. i want it

Also can you believe i've never even heard of the doobie bros til today! lol
You must be young if you don't know about the "Doobie in your funk" as George Clinton had once said about them, lol. I remember them being on the TV show What's Happening!!!

GET OUT!

I love the Doobie Brothers and I didn't know he sang backup for them :wild:

Thanx y'all for posting and for the vid :clapping: :D

I will Cherish The Doobies' Minute by Minute Album .I was wondering who was hitting those high notes so perfectly because I don't remember any of the Doobies singing that high and What a fool believes and The Title cut are 2 of my faves. I wrote Stoller to tell him that he should have put that footage on the Miss Castaway DvD but I understood if Michael wanted that part to be private because he was talking to Liz. I miss Michael so much.doesn't matter if he's singing or talking.
My World is empty without Michael in it but we all must carry on the Message of what he has meant to us no matter what we hear or read in the media.

lol, I think Michael McDOnald is hitting alot of those high notes. I think MJ is just on the chorus parts.

But I think it's soooo cool that he was involved in so many different styles of music :yes: And all of it is good music!!!!!!!
I was just listening to that kenny loggins song again :wub:.
And yeah, I love his voice in all i do....I found out about that a while ago and I alwaya listen for his voice,lol. MJ's voice was perfect for backgrounds-and everything else!!!!

he also song back up for a Stevie Wonder song called ALL I DO...
when a member of the Ojays called in to Steve Harvey to pay
tribute to him... he told that story of the Ojays and Michael doing
backup for that song for Stevie...

the more of these stories I hear..the more I know we truly lost someone special

Definately the King of Pop(ular) Music!!!

too cute! i love the doobies, and those two songs always were my favourite... very strange... never knew though...

Back