Michael Jackson's Thriller set for big-screen resurrection

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
EXCLUSIVE: Michael Jackson, who reportedly earned $275 million posthumously over the past year for his estate, isn't slowing down anytime soon. I'm told that GK Films is in active negotiations to acquire a package for a film that is being fashioned around his groundbreaking hit song Thriller. The film, which has been quietly shopped over the past several weeks by Real Effects Entertainment, has Kenny Ortega attached to direct, and The Hangover scribe Jeremy Garelick to write the screenplay. While GK is in the driver's seat, I'm told that Fox 2000, Mandate/Lionsgate and Summit Entertainment are all in the mix on what will shape up as a pricey rights deal, but which will turn out to be a film budgeted at under $50 million. Plot is being kept under wraps but I understand it has to do with the song's folklore, involving Vincent Price and the town he grew up in. All of this deal making is subject to a deal being completed with Jackson's estate, but that has been in the works for some time and is expected to be sealed. Thriller songwriter Rod Temperton is also in the mix. On top of the Thriller deal, I've heard that Cirque du Soleil is in talks to do two live shows based on Jackson's music, and that Montecito partners Ivan Reitman and Tom Pollock are looking to do a feature about Jackson's younger years.

There is symmetry to GK in that the deal is being spearheaded by GK Films president Peter Schlessel. While at Sony Pictures Entertainment, Schlessel made the deal for This Is It!, the feature film that Ortega directed which used rehearsal footage from what was expected to be Jackson's farewell tour. That film was profitable for SPE, and it is likely that GK Films will distribute Thriller through its SPE output deal. UTA reps Garelick and Reel Effects, while Paradigm reps Ortega.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/michael-jackson-song-thriller-in-center-of-pic-auction/

Hollywood studios are set to fight it out for the chance to produce a new film based on Michael Jackson's groundbreaking Thriller video and song. Kenny Ortega, the High School Musical director who oversaw plans for Jackson's ill-fated comeback tour and the film that chronicled rehearsals for it, This Is It, is in line to take charge of the cameras.

Thriller's famous video, in which Jackson leads a horde of zombies in a frenetic, deathly dance, was famously shot by John Landis, who had perfected the special effects work on his Oscar-winning 1982 horror An American Werewolf in London a year earlier. Jackson had become enraptured by the film and engaged Landis to shoot a 14-minute promo, which is often considered the greatest pop music video of all time. It is also the best-selling example of the form, according to the Guinness World Records, having shifted more than 9m units.

According to Deadline, the film version might focus on the character played in the original video by horror legend Vincent Price, who provided the narration and a rap. The Hangover's Jeremy Garelick is writing the screenplay; Thriller songwriter Rod Temperton is also involved. Studios including Summit, makers of the Twilight series, Lionsgate and Twentieth Century Fox are reportedly interested in buying the rights package for the film.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/oct/27/thriller-michael-jackson-film

Last edited:
Re: Michael Jackson Song 'Thriller' In Center Of Pic Auction

What?! Crazy. So much going on right now.

Can't wrap my mind around what's in the works. But i will get on board soon enough.

I wish all these films and things in regards to MJ, would have been done while he was here. Hollywood, hell the world knew how interested he was in making movies whether it was producing/directing/or starring in them.

This sounds rather interesting, looking forward to reading more info about this. Thanks for the heads up.

Interesting. I wonder if that Triumph era footage will ever come to light. I hope so.

:wub:

Oooohhh... this seems interesting.

I've always thought Thriller would make a good musical... and horror film. I'm kinda excited for this. Also, I hope Broadway makes a really interesting musical out of MJ's songs... Gawd, that'll make my life complete...as a fan. :p

It sounds very interesting, and if Kenny is involved, that is good.

Ugh!!!
Terrible idea... they are going to turn this into Twilight-esque crap now...
This sucks!!!
John Landis' Thriller IS the one MJ envisioned... I don't think they should mess with the classics... what they did for TII was enough IMO...

Unless God resurrects Michael Jackson so he can star in the
Thriller movie, I don't want to see it.

O.K. I have an idea. If Paris wants to be an actress, and Prince wants to
be a movie director, well if Michael's children were involved then, and only, then
could I stomach it.

Last edited:
I don't get how a movie based on Thriller would work without Michael. This doesn't sound like a good idea to me, and if anyone was the make a movie based on Thriller, it would have to be John Landis NOT Kenny Ortega.

If any movie was the be made based on Thriller, it would have to be an expanded documentary movie using unreleased footage from Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller, telling how the Thriller video was made with new interviews with John Landis, Ola Ray and other people like Miko Brando who were with and around Michael on the Thriller video shoot. A movie based on Thriller just sounds crap, and I sure as hell would never go and watch a musical based on Thriller when I've seen Michael perform that song on 3 tours better than anyone else can.

you do realize that if Landis is doing this then its one way for him to get the money he says he is owed from the thriller Video. I wish Stephen King was doing it but hey you get what ya get.

I'd like to see a Thriller and Ghosts event back to back at the cinema. I love Kenny but not sure how this will work. Its Thriller, it cant be recreated.

I'd like to see a Thriller and Ghosts event back to back at the cinema.

For real! If this doesn't happen next Halloween I'ma be pissed! It would ABSOLUTELY draw people. Surely they've considered this... (And what about the 3D Thriller event deal thing with ABC that Michael had planned for last Halloween? We never did really hear all the details on that.) As tired as I am of the media perpetuating the MJ=Thriller crap, it's different at Halloween. If they had the new piece (that Michael had planned) and used it to pull people in and expose them to Ghosts and put it in theatres for October as a double Halloween special and then released Ghosts on DVD shortly after, they'd make some bank (Since that's what they're about), we'd be happy, and it would make people want to check out more of Michael's lesser known work.

^^Krishna, in another thread, was also thinking that they might release this for next Halloween, so maybe we will all see this next year.

Give the project a chance. At the very least, see an outline before dumping all over it.

In favor of KENNY ORTEGA over washed up JOHN LANDIS.

For real! If this doesn't happen next Halloween I'ma be pissed! It would ABSOLUTELY draw people. Surely they've considered this... (And what about the 3D Thriller event deal thing with ABC that Michael had planned for last Halloween? We never did really hear all the details on that.) As tired as I am of the media perpetuating the MJ=Thriller crap, it's different at Halloween. If they had the new piece (that Michael had planned) and used it to pull people in and expose them to Ghosts and put it in theatres for October as a double Halloween special and then released Ghosts on DVD shortly after, they'd make some bank (Since that's what they're about), we'd be happy, and it would make people want to check out more of Michael's lesser known work.

^^Krishna, in another thread, was also thinking that they might release this for next Halloween, so maybe we will all see this next year.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Ghosts could be released next year........

I thought it would be coming out this year but with the estate being busy with the VideoGame and Vision, they might of decided to leave it until next year........

.......Also, the fact that they decided to put the short version of Ghosts on Vision could be an indication that a standalone release of Ghosts is already in planning!!!!!!

Here's to Optimism :cheers:!!!!

I'll reserve judgement on this for now.....

Its just continues to be strange to me how everybody now wants to be on the Michael Jackson train, when some of them all but ignored him when he was with us.

Thats life I suppose.

I can't see how you can make a whole feature length movie from a 14minute short film that didn't really have much of a plot to expand.

I can't see how you can make a whole feature length movie from a 14minute short film that didn't really have much of a plot to expand.

Happens all the time. Movies are made from itsy bitsy poems, short stories, magazine articles et al. The writer has a lot to work with. The possibilities are endless.

I really hope this does MJ justice.

It has to be very very good.

And hopefully it will then make the interest for MJ bigger for the nonfans. - maybe it will make his fanbase bigger.

I hope it turns out positive.

Guys , we forgot about the Dome Project. Michael finished it just before his death. It's still secret except of the Earth Song . It consisted of seven films and among them there were new Ghosts and new Thriller. Michael himself took part in shooting and we watched some parts in TII . Can it be that Kenny will just prepaire the film for release ?
Then it will be the new Thriller that Michael himself wanted it to be .
Sorry for my English.

Back