Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' film being beaten out by 'New Moon' overseas

Pascal09

Proud Member
http://www.examiner.com/x-21058-Cle...It-film-being-beaten-out-by-New-Moon-overseas

Tickets for Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' are selling out fast. But with all the hype surrounding the movie, it's ticket sales are being overshadowed by that of "The Twilight Saga, New Moon."

Presale tickets for the second installment of the saga are smashing records everywhere. Servers across Germany have crashed due to the amount of online buyers.

Just hours after going on sale in Germany on Saturday the presale tickets of 'New Moon' exceeded the entire presale ticket amount for Michael Jackson's "This Is It."

"This Is It" opens Wednesday October 28th, leaving fans little time to buy tickets, while 'New Moon' doesn't open until November 20th. Leaving a month to keep demolishing the record for presale movie tickets.

Its a shame that New Moon had to be released at the same time as TII. Its seems this always happens to MJ for some reason... There will be nothing but as soon as there is an MJ release, something "big" has to always be there, making tough competition!

I notice the examiner article doesn't offer us any links to validate their story. Strange that. If it is true though, I don't expect 'This is it' pre-sales being beaten in one country (out of how many?) will give Sony/AEG too many sleepless nights.

I also notice, Pascal, that this is your 2nd post having a little dig at the 'This is it' movie. I take it you're not a fan and won't be going to see it?

Its a shame that New Moon had to be released at the same time as TII. Its seems this always happens to MJ for some reason... There will be nothing but as soon as there is an MJ release, something "big" has to always be there, making tough competition!

What's the second example of this having ever happened?

I don't understand all the fuss about 'Twilight'. The movie is Ok, but nothing special. It's a teenager movie, a little silly actually.

damn twilight. I still havent bought tickets for TII so the people im going with so there is more to come.

I have not got my tickets for TII yet eathier but there are 10 of us I am not worried at all watch this movie break records like crazy!!!!

i have tickets for both! and twilight is an addiction. if you don't like it that's fine but don't dog the people that do.

Of course. New Moon will be releasing in more cinemas than TII. It will collect more money. But the DVD for TII will outsell New Moon for years to come.

Twilight: The Bastard child of 'The Notebook' in combination with 'Interview With a Vampire'

If TII had the same amount of advertising as New Moon, its pre-sale tickets would have been much much higher.
comparing things like this is stupid.

These movies are totally different.
TII is like a documentary.
Its not fair to compare it with a hge-ass-advertisement projecft such as New moon.

I'll be shocked if TII does half as good as they are expecting, i reckon it will only be the fans who go to see it. I know if it was about anybody but Michael i would have no interest in it, i like documentarys but i never go to see them in the cinema.

Considering TII has no advertising "overseas" I'm not surprised. Twilight is poo anyway. Twilight will probably make more as it will be in cinemas for more than two weeks. As for the person that said something about it releasing at the same time, it comes out nearly two weeks after TII has finished its run.

i have tickets for both! and twilight is an addiction. if you don't like it that's fine but don't dog the people that do.

What an addiction? There was only one film, or several series??? :doh:

New moon ? ahah!

the first twilight movie is so ridiculous...

This is just the artificial hype around it..., but This Is It is not a movie...

Anyway, TII broke many records for Harry Potter and Transformers..., so... :dont_mention_it:

And... This Is It shows that Michael Jackson fan base is the biggest on the whole planet..., in a decade the Twilight fans will be who... almost nobody if they dont exploit this as Harry Potter with never ending parts...!!!

These movies are totally different.
TII is like a documentary.
Its not fair to compare it with a hge-ass-advertisement projecft such as New moon.

That´s right. There´s no comparison, and hardly ever docummentaries beat box offices records. But as it´s about Michael Jackson, I expect something different to happen!

I believe New Moon will outsell last year's Twilight. Why? Because the original movie got the name out there, and "Twilight" is now a staple name and has gathered many new fans since the first movie. This Is It and New Moon are not even in the same category. Your forgetting that New Moon has a huge following with teenagers, women, and young adults. Now even older people are jumping on the bandwagon so this film will be huge. Personally, I believe New Moon US sales will top $225 million while global sales will be closer to $750 million. It will be a blockbuster. This Is It on the other hand appeals to MJ fans, and people who might be curious about Jackson's final days. If we look at the album sales since his death ( around 5.5 million), let's assume 5 million people purchased them. That's 5 million people who will very likely see the film, plus another 2-3 million will most likely come out and see it who have been hardcore Jackson fans but already had his albums before his death. That's 7-8 million (multiply that by $10 which is an average ticket price) and you have $70-80 million US revenue. These numbers seem the most realistic to me, then add another $120 million globally and total global numbers will come in just over $200 million. That is still incredible but nowhere near New Moon.

I believe New Moon will outsell last year's Twilight. Why? Because the original movie got the name out there, and "Twilight" is now a staple name and has gathered many new fans since the first movie. This Is It and New Moon are not even in the same category. Your forgetting that New Moon has a huge following with teenagers, women, and young adults. Now even older people are jumping on the bandwagon so this film will be huge. Personally, I believe New Moon US sales will top $225 million while global sales will be closer to $750 million. It will be a blockbuster. This Is It on the other hand appeals to MJ fans, and people who might be curious about Jackson's final days. If we look at the album sales since his death ( around 5.5 million), let's assume 5 million people purchased them. That's 5 million people who will very likely see the film, plus another 2-3 million will most likely come out and see it who have been hardcore Jackson fans but already had his albums before his death. That's 7-8 million (multiply that by $10 which is an average ticket price) and you have $70-80 million US revenue. These numbers seem the most realistic to me, then add another $120 million globally and total global numbers will come in just over $200 million. That is still incredible but nowhere near New Moon.

200 million still cant complain LOL

What an addiction? There was only one film, or several series??? :doh:

Twilight started out as a series of books, sort of like Harry Potter, it has a huge global fanbase of teenage girls and emo kids (not saying Twilight fan is like that, but most, the ones I've encountered anyway). So technically it is an addiction as they get all excited to see the next movie and its chick magnet vampires and werewolves.

Back