Michael Jackson's Posthumous Global Record Sales Reach 9 Million

CherubimII

Proud Member
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1616358/20090716/jackson_michael.jhtml
Jul 16 2009 9:20 AM EDT
Michael Jackson's Posthumous Global Record Sales Reach 9 Million

Since his death, the King of Pop has dominated charts in Europe and Australia, as well as the U.S.

In life, Michael Jackson struggled for decades to reach the record-smashing sales he achieved with 1983's landmark Thriller album. But since his unexpected passing on June 25 at the age of 50, the self-proclaimed King of Pop has once again become the most dominant musical figure on the planet.
Jackson's albums and compilations have locked down the top 10 on the Top Pop Catalog Albums chart in the United States for the past three weeks, selling more than 2.3 million albums since the singer's death, including 1.1 million over the past seven days. At a time when most contemporary stars struggle to notch sales of more than 2 or 3 million, the numbers are impressive, but they're even better when sales across the globe are factored in. According to the Los Angeles Times, an unidentified source with knowledge of sales figures for the catalog said that more than 9 million Jackson albums have been sold worldwide since June 25.

While Sony Music, which controls Jackson's solo adult catalog, would not comment to the Times or MTV News on sales figures, a spokeswoman for the label did not dispute the 9 million sales figure. In addition to ruling over the U.S. catalog charts, Jackson's albums have perched atop similar charts in France, Germany, Australia and England over the past three weeks.
"We're seeing a real outpouring from fans and consumers who are looking to connect and get past what's happened — the tragedy of his death — through attaching themselves to his music," Gary Arnold, senior entertainment officer for Best Buy, told the Times. Arnold said fans aren't just buying Jackson's global breakthrough Thriller, but rather a broad range of the singer's music, from the early Jackson 5 material to his later solo albums.
Considering the many unresolved issues around Jackson's estate, his cause of death, the custody of his three children and a potential all-star tribute concert in England later this year, Arnold predicted sales would remain strong, and possibly surge, through Christmas.
Though Amazon.com doesn't typically reveal sales figures, a spokesperson for the company said customer response to Jackson's death has been unprecedented, resulting in more orders for Jackson CDs and MP3s in the first 24 hours after his death than in the previous 11 years the Amazon music store has been open.
Even jukeboxes are seeing a huge uptick in Jackson action, with leading digital jukebox company TouchTunes reporting that the singer's songs were ordered up nearly 1 million times on its 38,000 jukeboxes since his death. Also seeking to cash in on the surge of interest, the British stage musical "Thriller Live" announced that the tribute show would relaunch in Europe this month and hit several U.S. cities over the next year. Jackson cover band Who's Bad also quickly booked a North American tour that will keep them on the road through November.
While bootleggers were quick to seize on the interest in Jackson memorabilia, AEG Live, the promoter of Jackson's This Is It series of concerts at London's O2 Arena, began selling the official merchandise intended for the 50-show run last week. The company has also discussed mounting a version of the show Jackson was preparing before the end of the year, as well as releasing a DVD of his rehearsal footage

That's just crazy. He rules the charts even in death. Amazing. He will live on forever through the music, that's for sure. I'm overwhelmed at the world's response. very touching to see. I wish he could have seen it too.

I'm re-posting from the other thread (Michael must be so proud right now in heaven! :D)

Michael Jackson Makes History On Euro Charts

96410-jackson_michael_l.jpg

Michael Jackson claims eight of the top ten spots on the European Top 100 Albums chart.

spacer.gif
July 16, 2009 11:33 AM ET
spacer.gif

Paul Sexton, London

In a history-making week on Billboard's European Top 100 Albums, Michael Jackson holds down a spectacular eight of the top ten titles. Meanwhile, "When Love Takes Over" (Positiva/EMI) by David Guetta featuring Kelly Rowland starts a second week atop European Hot 100 Singles.

Jackson's domination also represents a near-lockout of the pan-European top ten for Epic/Sony Music Entertainment, in which last year's "King of Pop" compilation again comes out on top. It leads the way in no fewer than eight markets, holding at No. 1 in Germany and Austria, moving 77-1 in the Belgian region of Flanders, 6-1 in neighboring Wallony, 13-1 in Poland, 3-1 in Holland and 2-1 in Switzerland and Spain. It's top five in five other territories.

In the United Kingdom, it's "The Essential Michael Jackson" that rules, with 113,000 new sales last week from a running total in its four years on release of 483,000. That compilation holds at No. 2 Europe-wide, also moving 4-1 in Finland, 3-2 in Switzerland and entering and No. 3 in Norway and Portugal.

Next up, at No. 3 overall, is the original edition of "Thriller," which leaps to the top in Italy (12-1) and Spain (3-1) and is in the top five in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Germany. Its title track single also rises 4-2 in Italy. Jackson's "Number Ones" collection is up 6-4 on Top 100 Albums, sitting at No. 2 in both Ireland and Germany. "The Collection" is his only title in descent on the overall chart, down 3-6 despite holding at No. 1 in Denmark and racing 34-5 in Sweden and 19-9 in Germany.

With the regular volume of "Thriller" at No. 3, the 25th anniversary deluxe reissue also fares well, climbing 14-7 on the composite chart. It's up 12-2 in Hungary, 7-5 in Finland, 41-6 in Spain and 18-9 in the United Kingdom, but falls from the top spot in Switzerland and Poland. "Off The Wall," the studio predecessor to "Thriller," is up 34-8 on Top 100 Albums, fuelled by a 10-3 climb in the United Kingdom on sales of 39,000. Remarkably, that's the album's highest-ever position on the U.K. chart, where it previously peaked at No. 5 in its fourth week on the survey in October 1979.

The biggest leap of all Jackson's albums is taken by "HIStory - Past, Present & Future, Book 1," which zooms 92-9 after reappearing at No. 4 in Germany and 33-17 in the United Kingdom. Jackson also has two singles in the European top ten, holding at No. 7 with "Man In The Mirror" and dipping 9-10 with "Billie Jean."

The only non-Jackson titles in the top ten of the pan-European album chart are Black Eyed Peas' "The E.N.D. (The Energy Never Dies)" (Interscope/Universal), which holds at No. 5, and labelmate Lady Gaga's "The Fame," down 8-10.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/michael-jacksons-makes-history-on-euro-charts-1003994587.story

I love it and I hate it at the same time. Why did he have to die in order for people to start appreciating his music again? :(:(

I just remembered the words by Sylvester Stalone's psychic mother: He's gonna have the biggest comeback ever...

Hypocrisy at it's worst.

That may sound unfair to some, but it's how I feel.

Wow, 9 million!!!! Insane.

Went to this big store in the capital yesterday and Michael's "Bad" album was on the No.1 best selling album of the week position......and guess what? Not a single copy was left! "Thriller 25" was no. 2.

And this come after in the past 10 years, you couldn't even find his albums in a store. I had to get mine from abroad. Ugh.

I completely agree that all these people should have bought his records while he was alive. His death doesn't change the music. BUT I can only rejoice at this news as I'm thinking about his children, the debt he left them, and how much money they're making off these sales. I wish them the best.

Edit: And I'm also very happy for Michael, who should be proud of his magic wherever he is.

9 million albums...incredible. That doesn't include online single downloads either. We know he has already shifted 6.5 million online singles since his death in the US, plus another 3 million worldwide for a total of 9-10 million. Thus: total unit sales in the world since Jackson's death: 18-20 million

Its hard to feel any joy over this, which is a major achievement, but I would rather he was broke and still alive.:(

Wow, that is incredible. Only the King can do this. I'm mixed about this. On the other hand I'm happy for Michael and that new fans are discovering his music. But at the same time it feels a bit unfair. His music has always been there. It's sad that it took the passing of the greatest for people to recognize his brilliance.

it's a laugh and cry moment. Does anybody know where i can find the interview on youtube or where i can download it?

Some people took Michael's phenomenal talent for granted. It was just what Michael Jackson did - great songs, videos and performances that were cultural moments. Perhaps now people will really listen to what Michael was saying in his music. Alot of people are going to be blown away by what they have missed.

But yeah, I would prefer he was here (if I could not have it both ways).

"We are the World" in charts after Jackson tribute

By Gary Trust
NEW YORK (Billboard) - Last week's star-studded public memorial for Michael Jackson helped send "We Are the World" onto the charts for the first time since it came out in 1985.
The charity tune, which Jackson co-wrote with Lionel Richie, was revived at the July 7 memorial when the performers, friends and family members gathered on the Staples Center stage at the end for a sing-along.
The original track, credited to USA for Africa, debuted at No. 50 on Billboard's Hot Digital Songs chart on Thursday. In 1985, it topped Billboard's Hot 100, Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and Adult Contemporary charts.
Other Jackson entries on the Hot Digital Songs chart included "You Are Not Alone," which jumped 11 places to No. 17; "Human Nature," reinvented at the celebration as a guitar instrumental by John Mayer, which rose 26 places to No. 21; and "I'll Be There," covered at the event by Mariah Carey and Trey Lorenz, which rose nine to No. 31.

http://www.reuters.com/article/industryNews/idUSTRE56D6M220090716

anybody know if this is a record for the most albums sold by a single artist in a few weeks? It's gotta be.

I dont care about the statistics... THE INTERVIEW... OH MY GOD IT JUST HIT ME IT WAS 10 YEARS AGO HE GAVE THAT INTERVIEW... Even though he was 40 he looked so young and happy... Oh my god..

im angry b/c i wish he could'velived to see this. im mad b/c so many had the chance to appreciate him while he was still here.

im glad cuz now it shows the haters that mj really ain't neva neva going nowhere and im elated b/c trump said, right after he passed, that if his albums continued to sell like this, his debt wouldbe erradicated in a few wks.

so good. it benefits the chillun.

they said he's slated to be th ebiggest selling artist of the yr.

I just remembered the words by Sylvester Stalone's psychic mother: He's gonna have the biggest comeback ever...
ITs 2 bad she couldn't have told michael to watch his doc, on thursday.
not much of a consolation now
I hear you!
Hypocrisy at it's worst.

That may sound unfair to some, but it's how I feel.
Agreed! I have never understood why ppl suddently fall in love with famous ppl after they die.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_wat...ge-intensifies/

Records Fall As Jackson Surge Intensifies

Michael Jackson continues to shatter sales records that have stood for decades. He has six of the 10 best-selling albums in the U.S. this week. This breaks a record that has stood since April 1966, when Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass placed four albums in the top 10. Two weeks ago, Jackson had the three best-selling albums in the country. That toppled a mark set in May 1964 when the Beatles held three of the top four spots.

Jackson's catalog of solo albums sold 1.1 million copies this past week, up from nearly 800,000 last week. The increase is due to two factors: fans watching last week's memorial service and stores receiving fresh shipments of Jackson product. Jackson sold a staggering 2.3 million solo albums in 2-1/2 weeks.

Jackson's 2003 compilation Number Ones sold 349,000 copies this week and would have topped The Billboard 200 for the third week if catalog albums were eligible to compete on that chart. This marks the first time that a deceased performer has had the top-selling album in the U.S. for three weeks since Elvis Presley's Elv1s 30 #1 Hits scored in September and October 2002. It's the first time that Jackson has had the top-selling album this long since Dangerous was #1 for four weeks in December 1991 and January 1992.

Jackson's other albums that rank among this week's 10 best-sellers are Thriller, which sold 264,000 copies and would have dipped from #2 to #3 if catalog albums were eligible to make the big chart; The Essential Michael Jackson, which sold 148,000 copies and would have inched up from #5 to #4; Off The Wall, which sold 107,000 copies and would have jumped from #11 to #6; Bad, which sold 97,000 copies and would have vaulted from #25 to #8; and Dangerous, which sold 67,000 copies and would have leaped from #21 to #9.

Jackson's phenomenal posthumous success is prompting Billboard to review its policy of not listing catalog albums on the big chart. In his column this week, Keith Caulfield, Billboard's Senior Chart Manager, acknowledges, "since Jackson's top sellers are absent from The Billboard 200--long considered the albums chart of record in the United States--it gives one pause.

"Perhaps this is an opportunity to ponder what the Billboard 200 would be like if it included catalog albums...Billboard prides itself on providing the most accurate charts possible to the industry, consumers and fans, and if we were to consider altering our chart rules, we would do so with a measured approach and much thought. We must be open to new ideas and change as we move forward."

I was pleased to read that. I stated my opinion two weeks ago that, at the very least, the top 10 on The Billboard 200, which is disseminated around the world, should consist of the 10 best-selling albums in the country, whether they're current or catalog. I'm glad they're reviewing the matter. You don't make significant rule changes lightly, but sometimes, events force a decision. I'd say that having six of the 10 best-selling albums in the U.S. not appear in the top 10 on the most authoritative chart in the music business constitutes a sign.

Number Ones is the first album to top the 300,000 sales mark two weeks running since Metallica's Death Magnetic in September. Number Ones has sold 912,000 copies so far in 2009. It's already #8 for the year-to-date. I expect the collection to wind up as the #1 album of 2009.

While the single-disk Number Ones is Jackson's top-selling album overall (combining physical and digital sales) for the third week, the two-disk The Essential Michael Jackson is his top-seller for the third week in the digital realm. The album sold 44,000 downloads this week.

A total of 46 songs featuring Jackson are listed on the top 200 Hot Digital Songs chart, down just a hair from last week's 47. (There were 50 two weeks ago.) Jackson's top-selling download for the second straight week is "Man In The Mirror" (which dips to #3). Jackson's superb 1988 single received a Grammy nomination for Record of the Year. It should have won, as it is a far more vital work than the trifle that took the prize, Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry Be Happy."

Jackson is also setting records around the world. He has six of the top 10 albums in the U.K. (counting a Jackson 5 collection). The Essential Michael Jackson is #1 there for the second week. In Japan, a compilation titled King Of Pop jumps from #6 to #3.

This all has a strong sense of déjà vu for me. I wrote a chart column for Billboard in 1983-84 when Jackson was setting new records nearly every week. I never imagined it would happen again, and certainly not under these sad circumstances.

The Jackson surge is giving the music business a much-needed lift. The 10th best-selling album in the U.S. this week, All Time Low's Nothing Personal, sold nearly 63,000 copies. That's more than the #1 album sold in two different weeks in January and February. The question everybody is asking is: What does this mean? I think it means that if there's a special album that people want as a keepsake, they'll spring for the CD. Otherwise, for everyday use, a download will often do.

In a larger sense, what's happening here is that people are focusing on Jackson's music for the first time in many years, and remembering how much they liked it. It really is a remarkable body of work (as this Chart Watch Extra attests.) Sadly, it took Jackson's death for many people to look past all the controversies--large and small, troubling and trivial--that turned people off.

Back