Michael Jackson was ready to perform 50 live shows before his tragic death, says Brit stage wizard M

I believe he had a lot to prove to himself. He's not really been living the life he was used to for the last 7/8 years before TII and it would be a true katharsis for him, had he lived it all, from the beginning to the end. I still think that, in spite of him passing away a week before going to London, he got to feel the excitement and saw how blessed he was to be able to do what he did.

i don't agree. he said himself..he had done it all.

the nature of others outside him never being satisfied, is a real beast.

unfortunately, the greater someone proves to be, the more others want him to prove.

i believe outsiders were just interpreting their own insatiable appetite for powerful musical magic, but that is guilt inducing.

the talk of him and being blessed is between him and God. He didn't hold back on using his blessings.

it's not for us to decide that he should or shouldn't keep doing something...'because he was blessed'.

hard to face, but this isn't about what he wanted. it's about what we wanted. what the observers wanted. what the media demanded. and it makes one feel better to say that is what he wanted.

even now, in that new album thread, people are fighting over the notion of getting new material, vs. being grateful for years of service.

Last edited:
Why didn't they just release the "full show" when they released TII.

Thanks for posting the article.

I tell you, why. I don't know if it's been told. Well, the whole 'making of' was meant to be filmed and released already before and it was accepted by Michael. That's why they used quality cameras. So, TII was a documentary and making of.

I don't know but as far as I can assume, any whole shows wasn't recorded because Michael didn't want to. Probably because the real shows would have been filmed during the tour.. It actually makes sense..

I think the making of was probably meant to be shorter than what we know as TII. Maybe it was meant to be a bonus on its tour dvd.

you can't know what difference there is unless you're the artist doing it. you can't know what it is to perform daily, fifty times. you can't know if the artist knows where he is, what day it is, etc. after repeating that over and over and over again, after doing it for forty years. and besides...it wasn't going to be 'just' fifty concerts. you didn't hear what the long term plan really was. Phillips had big long term plans. for the world.
you forgot to mention that it was all up to Michael whether to tour after the O2 concerts or not. It wasn't planned, it was just a possibility...

i don't agree. he said himself..he had done it all.

the nature of others outside him never being satisfied, is a real beast.

unfortunately, the greater someone proves to be, the more others want him to prove.

i believe outsiders were just interpreting their own insatiable appetite for powerful musical magic, but that is guilt inducing.

the talk of him and being blessed is between him and God. He didn't hold back on using his blessings.

it's not for us to decide that he should or shouldn't keep doing something...'because he was blessed'.

hard to face, but this isn't about what he wanted. it's about what we wanted. what the observers wanted. what the media demanded. and it makes one feel better to say that is what he wanted.

even now, in that new album thread, people are fighting over the notion of getting new material, vs. being grateful for years of service.

When I said blessed I meant being fortunate, so it has nothing to do with gods in my post.

He was really fortunate to be able to create a show production with an unlimited budget and total creative control after 7 years of absence from the showbiz. He was actually one of the few, if not the only person EVER that would have that kind of opportunity given. I am absolutely sure he was aware of this.

After all that he's been through in the last years of his life... to see that you still have the power you had, it must've been great. MJ in my opinion suffered severly from the trial and because of it he was robbed of the life he's been living for 20 years. TII was a chance to reverse it.

IMO it's all about what he wanted. He wanted to come back, to feel the excitement, to be the greatest again. It wasn't us, it was him who was in control. That's what he wanted to do or felt he should do. And he did it. Of course he said himself he'd done it all, but all his achievements were before the unforseen circumstances occured. That makes a huge difference to his situation. His life happened to become what it became, and reaffirmation was definitely needed.

+
When I said blessed I meant being fortunate, so it has nothing to do with gods in my post.

He was really fortunate to be able to create a show production with an unlimited budget and total creative control after 7 years of absence from the showbiz. He was actually one of the few, if not the only person EVER that would have that kind of opportunity given. I am absolutely sure he was aware of this.

After all that he's been through in the last years of his life... to see that you still have the power you had, it must've been great. MJ in my opinion suffered severly from the trial and because of it he was robbed of the life he's been living for 20 years. TII was a chance to reverse it.

IMO it's all about what he wanted. He wanted to come back, to feel the excitement, to be the greatest again. It wasn't us, it was him who was in control. That's what he wanted to do or felt he should do. And he did it. Of course he said himself he'd done it all, but all his achievements were before the unforseen circumstances occured. That makes a huge difference to his situation. His life happened to become what it became, and reaffirmation was definitely needed.

what has his life become? are you listening to the press? he proved everything there is to prove in music. you mentioned blessings. i'm just coming off of that, in my post. fortunate? that music was deliberate. there is nothing fortunate about it. it's excellent music. of course it afforded him greatness and power. great music isn't like the lottery. it's not about chance. if it's great we're going to buy it. no doubt about it. it's not like his music was horrible, and by....chance, we liked it anyway, and decided to do him a favor. now if that were the case, he indeed would be fortunate. but we cannot pretend that we didn't know that his music was powerful enough to defy the norm. that it didn't require touring. i constantly see people hungering for his music in situations where normally, people wouldn't continue to hunger for music. we can't pretend we haven't seen that. we can't pretend that his music couldn't survive without touring. touring was just an added option with his music. he knew it. we knew it. otherwise, people wouldn't keep coming to these sites during his time off, and the lies of the press. we all know that despite the statements of the press, the music brought us back here, over and over. in fact, whereas the press' statements would've kept us away, if the music wasn't so powerful, the press couldn't keep us away. we all know this. we've all seen this.

his life was complete. it's the press that was out of control. he had nothing to prove. we know that trial was not caused by his behavior. we know it was caused by the press and weak minded individuals who followed suit. we all know this.
that's the problem. if the press says the sky has no color, there is a propensity to believe it has no color, while evidence says otherwise.
Michael had a complete life and the press was jealous. i think we have selfish motives, and we want to project them on Michael. we didn't do him a favor. you bought his music because you liked it. i bought it because i liked it. he didn't have to tour. so i'm going by his words, and you're going by your opinion, based on your desire to see him, just as i desired to see him. if he was so desperate to perform, he wouldn't have taken 12 years off. he had kids to raise. i'm not crazy..i saw how the press manipulated the situation. THEY wanted to make it seem like he had to come back. THEY were jealous that he didn't have to work anymore. and HE said he hated to tour. He was the one who spoke of God. He was blessed. He had the talent. He had the power, and the media was jealous. simple as. there was nothing to reaffirm. He brought Sony to life, multiple times. if it weren't for him, the industry main artery would be existential instead of alive, since the 1980's. You're saying he had to be the greatest, 'again'? he never stopped being the greatest. the tour didn't happen. and now, the press is still using him as the standard bearer. and they used him as the standard bearer before he died, but they did it with hate, out of jealousy. they disguised their begging with incessant rude demanding and lies, because that is the jealous human nature that comes with not appreciating something till it's gone. so that backhanded behavior from the press is proof that he had nothing to prove. it shouldn't be hard to see through the language of the press, when backhanded language is used.

Last edited:
you can't know what difference there is unless you're the artist doing it. you can't know what it is to perform daily, fifty times. you can't know if the artist knows where he is, what day it is, etc. after repeating that over and over and over again, after doing it for forty years. and besides...it wasn't going to be 'just' fifty concerts. you didn't hear what the long term plan really was. Phillips had big long term plans. for the world.

I don't think that's what L.T.D means. They weren't looking that far into it, just saying it wasn't a tour because he didn't visit any other locations. A residency at the O2, simple as that.

Phillips had big long term plans. for the world.

Michael signed up for London. Just because Phillips was thinking the world doesn't mean Michael was going to neccessarily sign for that as well.

I would expect he would though if he thought he and the kids were having fun. If not, I'm sure he would have at least wanted to do a couple other residencies just to let other parts of the world see him one last time since it is a long way to fly from Tokyo to London, or L.A. to London.

Like 20 shows in Australia, then 20 in Vegas, and then be done and the hard core fans of the world could have a much shorter and less expensive trip to see him.

Why didn't they just release the "full show" when they released TII.

Although it would be nice to have seen it all up front, that would have been a discredit to Michael's efforts. For twenty dollars we could sit there and veg out and say wow that was a good night's entertainment, and then walk away not fully knowing how much he put in to making the moment special for us which he died for.

The estate said in an interview that the concept of making the movie was to repair Michael's image and show the world what he was really like so before they could move on they had to bring him back to the world in a positive light that was tarnished over the last ten years. Kenny wanted to tell that story as well and the world got the message loud and clear.

It was a story as much as it was a concert. They can release the full rehearsal whenever and we will be happy to get it for sure. Missing out on all the inner workings and magic would have been a bigger loss to us.

We will also eventually get all his concerts released in a matter of time. We just have to wait and we will have everything.

I dont need to be an artist to know that its harder travelling the globe in different time zones, performing almost every night, than it is to be doing concerts almost every night while remaining in the same place. Its just common sense........

I'm not saying a residency would have been easy by any means, but there is still a big difference between that and a tour. A tour is much harder.

If the long term plan really was to take it all over the world then it still would have been easier than a regular tour. More than likely the tour would be made up of many different residencies in different major cities across the globe. So he still would have been in the same place for a long ammount of time. Where as on his previous tours, he pretty much went from one continent to the other every week.

My point was, there is a big difference to what Michael would have been doing in 2009 to a regular tour which he had done before. I'm not calling it easy, just easier than his previous world tours.

I dont need to be an artist to know that its harder travelling the globe in different time zones, performing almost every night, than it is to be doing concerts almost every night while remaining in the same place. Its just common sense........

I'm not saying a residency would have been easy by any means, but there is still a big difference between that and a tour. A tour is much harder.

If the long term plan really was to take it all over the world then it still would have been easier than a regular tour. More than likely the tour would be made up of many different residencies in different major cities across the globe. So he still would have been in the same place for a long ammount of time. Where as on his previous tours, he pretty much went from one continent to the other every week.

My point was, there is a big difference to what Michael would have been doing in 2009 to a regular tour which he had done before. I'm not calling it easy, just easier than his previous world tours.

common sense. that is a cliche. it's arrogant to say we know someone else's profession.

and...what? more concerts, and the world? easier? we'll have to agree to disagree. Michael was reported to have gone to his father to ask that the work load be lessened. that doesn't sound like 'easier', to me, by any stretch of the imagination.

there is no substitute for the phrase, 'walk in someone else's moccasins before saying you know what's up with them.

if someone acted like they knew your occupation better than you know your occupation, you would have a fit.

we'll have to agree to disagree on the difference between a residency and a tour. hard work is hard work. i've asked musicians about this. they have said there is no difference. it's hard to tell night from day. all they said is it's work work work. bottom line...people wanted to run Michael into the ground. looks like a successful venture to me. so..dead is dead. how the wear down affect happened isn't a matter of harder or easier, when the result is the same. it's hard when the result is death. dead is dead.

maybe we'll ask Madonna about the billion dollar residency offer that is being asked of her, and see if she thinks it's easier. i hope she is afforded a bit more respect. nobody is going to offer that kind of money to a person, no matter how famous, unless they know it's a lot harder a task to perform such an event, than people want to admit.

Last edited:
I just wonder why Michael should have gone to his father to get help?
I never heard they had a good relationship and what power could his father have to do something?

I think there are times for most of us when we think we can´t handle some things, it´s to much.But when we start to do it we find out that it wasn´t as bad as we thought.
There are problems that can be solved.
I think it was like that for Michael.

common sense. that is a cliche. it's arrogant to say we know someone else's profession.

and...what? more concerts, and the world? easier? we'll have to agree to disagree. Michael was reported to have gone to his father to ask that the work load be lessened. that doesn't sound like 'easier', to me, by any stretch of the imagination.

there is no substitute for the phrase, 'walk in someone else's moccasins before saying you know what's up with them.

if someone acted like they knew your occupation better than you know your occupation, you would have a fit.

we'll have to agree to disagree on the difference between a residency and a tour. hard work is hard work. i've asked musicians about this. they have said there is no difference. it's hard to tell night from day. all they said is it's work work work. bottom line...people wanted to run Michael into the ground. looks like a successful venture to me. so..dead is dead. how the wear down affect happened isn't a matter of harder or easier, when the result is the same. it's hard when the result is death. dead is dead.

maybe we'll ask Madonna about the billion dollar residency offer that is being asked of her, and see if she thinks it's easier. i hope she is afforded a bit more respect. nobody is going to offer that kind of money to a person, no matter how famous, unless they know it's a lot harder a task to perform such an event, than people want to admit.

What are you even talking about? How can you argue that it isnt harder to travel the world while performing than it is to stay in the same place while performing? Maybe you have misunderstood what i'm saying, but it seems pretty obvious to me.

Im not saying I know his profession........I can understand its tiring and hard to perform. I was referring to the travel side of things, which isnt his profession, the performing side is almost irrelevant in this arguement because the performing would be equally as hard or tiring on a tour as it would be on a residency.

Its basic logic. On a residency he's staying in the same place and performing. Which means barely any travel.

On a tour he's performing and then having to travel all over the world and get planes to all different countries. The travelling part is just added work load. Of course that is harder than staying in the same place, maybe you have misundersood me at some point.

+

what has his life become? are you listening to the press? ...

All I'm saying is that MJ's life in the last ten years was no heaven and when he finally was ready to keep going with his professional life, he took the opportunity he was given to create TII. I don't need to be listening to the press to know what he went through, and by following Michael for so many years I believe I got to understand his life to some extend. He had hard times, and it is obvious he would want to compensate for them, which he tried to do.

And I have to say I disagree with you about his life being complete. It wasn't complete and he had a lot to look forward to. It's a real shame he was robbed of that, because he deserved to live his life to the fullest.

What are you even talking about? How can you argue that it isnt harder to travel the world while performing than it is to stay in the same place while performing? Maybe you have misunderstood what i'm saying, but it seems pretty obvious to me.

Im not saying I know his profession........I can understand its tiring and hard to perform. I was referring to the travel side of things, which isnt his profession, the performing side is almost irrelevant in this arguement because the performing would be equally as hard or tiring on a tour as it would be on a residency.

Its basic logic. On a residency he's staying in the same place and performing. Which means barely any travel.

On a tour he's performing and then having to travel all over the world and get planes to all different countries. The travelling part is just added work load. Of course that is harder than staying in the same place, maybe you have misundersood me at some point.

no. i understood you, and i disagree with you. and the performing is not irrelevant. it's work, isn't it? logic isn't the issue. the issue is the epidemic of being in the arm chair and thinking somebody else might have it easier. we don't know that. we don't know each others' professions. at least, the respectable thing to do is ask, before assuming. so, i asked other musicians.

All I'm saying is that MJ's life in the last ten years was no heaven and when he finally was ready to keep going with his professional life, he took the opportunity he was given to create TII. I don't need to be listening to the press to know what he went through, and by following Michael for so many years I believe I got to understand his life to some extend. He had hard times, and it is obvious he would want to compensate for them, which he tried to do.

And I have to say I disagree with you about his life being complete. It wasn't complete and he had a lot to look forward to. It's a real shame he was robbed of that, because he deserved to live his life to the fullest.

none of us should have the audacity to think we know how somebody else's life was. so, i went by his lyrics, and his interviews. he said he meant what he sang and sang what he meant. listen to what he sings in 'Another Day'. he said his life was complete. nobody is saying his times weren't hard, but they were brought about by the press. totally unnecessary.

and it's yours and my desire to see him, that you keep projecting onto him. he said he had done it all. why is it that there is this need not to respect and believe his words?

and...no...we don't know the extent of what he went through. it's wrong to assume that, too, but seeing how the press treated him, is the big issue. again, he wrote songs about it. we did need to see how the press treated him to appreciate even that much. because, it's clear that people tend to assume they know other people.

no. i understood you, and i disagree with you. and the performing is not irrelevant. it's work, isn't it? logic isn't the issue. the issue is the epidemic of being in the arm chair and thinking somebody else might have it easier. we don't know that. we don't know each others' professions. at least, the respectable thing to do is ask, before assuming. so, i asked other musicians.

You must have misunderstood me. Seriously, you must have misunderstood me.

Performing on a tour is hard.

Performing on a residency is hard.

However. A tour has the added stress of travelling across the globe.

A residency doesnt have that.

I cant put it to you any simpler than that. Im not judging someones profession, im not even talking about performing. Im not saying the performing is easy. Im not even really commenting on it.

Whats more tiring, getting driven in an SUV 20 minutes down the road every couple of nights. Or getting a plane to a different country, with a different timezone every couples of nights?

Its as simple as that. Lets put the performing side of it aside for a minute.

Whats more tiring, getting driven somewhere 20 minutes away every 2 or 3 days. Or getting on a plane to a different country every 2 or 3 days with a different timezone?

Its fine to assume when its blatantly obvious what is harder.

Please somebody tell me they know what i'm saying before I lose my mind. :doh:

I cant put it to you any simpler than that. Im not judging someones profession, im not even talking about performing. Im not saying the performing is easy. Im not even really commenting on it.

Whats more tiring, getting driven in an SUV 20 minutes down the road every couple of nights. Or getting a plane to a different country, with a different timezone every couples of nights?

Whats more tiring, getting driven somewhere 20 minutes away every 2 or 3 days. Or getting on a plane to a different country every 2 or 3 days with a different timezone?

it's never fine to assume. this is the problem in many fields. i'm seeing it not just this one, but sports and other occupations. where people think they know each other's occupation just by looking at it. i don't care what you see, you don't know unless you are in the other person's shoes. you can lose a lot of friends by assuming you know what they do better than they do. like i said, ask somebody. i did. i asked musicians.

if measuring the difficulty of either situation isn't irrelevant, then why didn't Michael take time off from touring, and just stick to doing residencies over those 7 plus years?

you were doing fine when you said both situations were hard. then you went into semantics.

i just want to know how you would feel if someone came to you and told you they know something about what you do, but they didn't ask you?

it's never fine to assume. this is the problem in many fields. i'm seeing it not just this one, but sports and other occupations. where people think they know each other's occupation just by looking at it. i don't care what you see, you don't know unless you are in the other person's shoes. you can lose a lot of friends by assuming you know what they do better than they do. like i said, ask somebody. i did. i asked musicians.

if measuring the difficulty of either situation isn't irrelevant, then why didn't Michael take time off from touring, and just stick to doing residencies over those 7 plus years?

you were doing fine when you said both situations were hard. then you went into semantics.

i just want to know how you would feel if someone came to you and told you they know something about what you do, but they didn't ask you?

Its not really something that just applies to Michael though. We are talking about travelling. Whats harder, travelling or not travelling. Clearly travelling is harder. I cant believe we have been talking about this for so long. Travelling is harder than not travelling. Thats all this is.

He took time away from it all to spend time with his kids, we have heard this over and over again. Then there was all the stress of the allegations. Then when he came back he was 50 and a residency would have been easier on him as there was literally no travelling.

On PHM what reason did Michael give for not liking touring? It was largely the travelling that he attributed it to. With a residency there is no travelling.

Again, this isnt judging someones profession. Its basic logic. Travelling would have been harder for him while performing, than not travelling would have been.

I dont know if you just like to argue or you realised long ago that you hadnt understood what I said, but now you trying to cover it up. But if you cant realise what i'm saying then there isnt much point carrying this on. Its not rocket science.

I get you bro :)

The beauty of this forum is that we have a member who's always disagreeing. It provokes good argumentation though, so all is good, lol!

Its not really something that just applies to Michael though. We are talking about travelling. Whats harder, travelling or not travelling. Clearly travelling is harder. I cant believe we have been talking about this for so long. Travelling is harder than not travelling. Thats all this is.

He took time away from it all to spend time with his kids, we have heard this over and over again. Then there was all the stress of the allegations. Then when he came back he was 50 and a residency would have been easier on him as there was literally no travelling.

On PHM what reason did Michael give for not liking touring? It was largely the travelling that he attributed it to. With a residency there is no travelling.

Again, this isnt judging someones profession. Its basic logic. Travelling would have been harder for him while performing, than not travelling would have been.

I dont know if you just like to argue or you realised long ago that you hadnt understood what I said, but now you trying to cover it up. But if you cant realise what i'm saying then there isnt much point carrying this on. Its not rocket science.

I understand what you're saying and agree with it and the "concept". There's always going to be 2 or more ways of looking at anything, interpreting things, etc. For me, sometimes it's just healthier to walk away rather than get so annoyed, which I do quite often. It's all about how things are stated, I doubt most people enjoy feeling as if they are being preached to or "instructed", bottom line.

jmo

I understand what you're saying and agree with it and the "concept". There's always going to be 2 or more ways of looking at anything, interpreting things, etc. For me, sometimes it's just healthier to walk away rather than get so annoyed, which I do quite often. It's all about how things are stated, I doubt most people enjoy feeling as if they are being preached to or "instructed", bottom line.

jmo

Normally I wouldnt, but I was frustrated that something so straight forward that I said was being twisted and thrown back at me. Im arrogantly judging Michael's profession.........

I wasnt even directly referring to his profession, the main topic was the travelling.

Normally I wouldnt, but I was frustrated that something so straight forward that I said was being twisted and thrown back at me. Im arrogantly judging Michael's profession.........

I wasnt even directly referring to his profession, the main topic was the travelling.

I understand completely.:yes:

You said you asked musicians if performing night after night was hard work, and they said yes. Now ask them this: even though life as an entertainer and a live performer is hard work, would you ever give it up? See what they say.

Of course it is hard work, of course you feel tired and sore afterwards, but if it bothered them as much as you're trying to say it did, they would have dropped out of the game years ago. Entertainers don't just drop out... why? Because despite the hard work, despite the long hours and the down sides of their profession, most of them LOVE what they do. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people vow to give up performing or to retire, for them the come back 5 years down the line and tour again. I've seen that with Michael as well.

Michael had it rougher than probably anyone else in the entertainment industry. Michael made waves and affected people on a level that I don't think had ever been done before, nor do I believe it would ever be done again. He had to work his little tail off to achieve his success. Believe it. Work, work, work. Like you said. He had to make sacrifices. He had to give up his childhood, his privacy, his entire life for the entertainment industry. He had to put up with a heck load of crap which could have very well resulted in his children being taken away and him sitting in a jail cell. Michael could have very easily given up long ago and avoided all the junk that people put him through. I bet he knew that the higher you climb the ladder, the harder you're going to fall. I bet after he was knocked off the first time, he was a little upset, got some scratches, but was ok. After about the hundredth time, he was probably in a lot pain, had a lot of scars, and probably terrified to climb back up. Could've have easily given up, and by all means had many chances to. But no. He got up, each and every time, hurting, bruised and whatnot, and damn well climbed right back up that ladder, knowing all the while that doing so could result in him being knocked off yet again. Each time you're going to be a little more fearful to climb back up, that's understandable. But this was his ladder that he built with his own hands, that he climbed on his own the first time, and every other time, and he wasn't going to let some a**holes tear him down and succeed in doing so. I know I'm explaining it in a stupid way but you get the point.

Here's a guy that had been in the industry for 45 years - practically his entire life. For whatever reason, throughout the years and all the pain he had suffered, he continued to live his life as an entertainer. He continued to make music, he kept moving forward in the field, even though he probably knew that if he succeeded again, he may have to pay a damn heavy price because of it.

Now, when I think about all that, I have a hard time following what people have been trying to say. I can see Michael being apprehensive about what may come if he succeeds. I can see Michael having a fear in what may come if he fails. I can see Michael being apprehensive about picking himself up after a battle. Sure. But I can't for the life of me see Michael having a fear of "hard work". He wouldn't have come as far as he did if he was scared of hard work. So this notion that he didn't want to tour because it was hard work makes absolutely no sense to me.

Last edited:
thriller.gif

Your comments were indeed very straight forward. I understood exactly what you meant and I agree with you. I don't know why your comments would create such an uproar. Go figure.

So what you're trying to say is that travelling is harder than touring huh?

j/k. I totally get your point, lol

Em......can I just say that I really enjoyed reading this article? I know people have been having a convo here and I don't want to interrupt or anything but I just loved reading what this guy had to say.

For me, knowing that Michael performed FULL shows during his last two days on this Earth uplifts my soul. He has always said he was most comfortable and at home on the stage..so knowing he was on fire, still had 'it' must have given him such joy.

Of course I don't know exactly how he felt, none of us do, and this is only my opinion.

Thank you for posting this.
Love and peace
Junie XX

Back