Michael Jackson was ready to perform 50 live shows before his tragic death, says Brit stage wizard M

StephenB

Proud Member
MICHAEL JACKSON was more than ready to do his 50 London dates before he died, according to one of the last people to see him.
Brit Mark Cunniffe was the lighting programmer and operator for This Is It and saw *****'s final two rehearsals before he died, aged just 50, in June last year.
Mark has worked with many of the world's greatest performers including David Bowie, Rod Stewart, George Michael and Stevie Wonder.
He is also lending his vast technical ability to the Doctor Who Live arena tour that stops off at Glasgow SECC next month.
Like many, Mark wasn't sure *****, whose last 82-date world tour had been in 1996, could cut it again.
The 44-year-old said: "If he'd died two weeks before he'd done it, I'd have said he'd never have done it. But he performed a full show twice on Tuesday and Wednesday before he died and he nailed it both times.
"He was stopping to give us notes.
"I was devastated when he died. Even if he'd done one show, it would have been great to see him do it and take the accolades for it.
"I think it would have been one of his finest moments."
Mark, who worked on the Balamory and Tweenies tours and turned Edinburgh Castle into Hogwarts when JK Rowling read from Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince, got the call to work for ***** through Stevie Wonder.
Mark - who married wife Annie in Aviemore and has three children Ellen, 13, Charlie, 10 and Jamie, seven - had been trying to stop his excessive touring.
But he grinned: "It was one of those things that you get the phone call and you don't turn round and say, 'I'm busy.'
"You drop everything. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work with one of the biggest artists the world has ever seen."
After the briefest of hellos with arguably the greatest entertainer we've ever had, Mark was thrown straight into work. He said: "In our first meeting he was explaining the lighting notes for Billie Jean.
"It was six weeks before he died and before we moved to the Staples Center for the final rehearsals.
"He was telling me, 'I walk on stage, cock my hat, click my fingers and a light comes on.'
"I'm writing all this furiously. 'Then I move over, click fingers, light comes on. I turn to the audience, look this way, look that way, light comes on.'"
Mark is grinning at the memory. He said: "It becomes a surreal moment.
"Afterwards, I said thanks very much, Michael, went back to the control room and was straight on the phone to my kids saying, 'Guess who I've been speaking to.'"
Despite working with huge names, Mark admits the Doctor Who Live show is more of a challenge as it's a TV institution being turned into a stage show.
Mark admitted: "If I didn't have the people behind it, it would be scary."
Developed by Doctor Who boss Steven Moffat and directed by Will Brenton, the show promises to be an incredible event.
It opens in wartime London, baddies including the Daleks, the Weeping Angels and Cybermen appear and it concludes with an epic on-stage battle.
Current Doctor Matt Smith will appear in specially filmed sequences to be shown on a giant screen.
Nigel Planer will play the part of Vorgenson the Greatest Showman in the Galaxy. He uses his incredible invention, The Minimiser, to make any Doctor Who character appear on stage as part of a travelling show dedicated to his hero.
It is Mark's job to make the Weeping Angels - who will get you if you blink - believable to even the back row of the SECC.
There will be a massive 50 ft screen, lights - lots and lots of lights - pyrotechnics, optical illusions and special effects.
Mark said: "At first I was like, how the hell are we going to make a telly programme into an event?
"I grew up with it as a kid and remember hiding behind the couch like all of us used to do on the old Jon Pertwee series.
"But it's going to look incredible."
He refuses to give any secrets away about the plot or what the show will look like.
He said: "We could do an exhibition of all things great about Doctor Who and it would be fascinating but it wouldn't draw the audience in."
Mark has a very different life to the one he was supposed to have.
Born in St Helens, near Liverpool, his parents wanted him to study medicine.
But when they moved to Poole, Dorset, he fell in love with his school's auditorium and took over the lighting for school shows aged 16.
After studying theatre and design, Mark went into London's West End, working on Phantom Of The Opera, Miss Saigon and 42nd Street. In the Eighties big music shows were taking hold and at 22 Mark joined George Michael's Faith tour.
He said: "I used to stand at the side of the stage and the hairs at the back of my neck would stand on end.
"He's one of the greatest singer songwriters this country has ever produced. I wish we could see more of it."
Since then he's worked on shows for AC/DC, Jon Bon Jovi, Wet Wet Wet and Lulu.
Mark also spent 11 months on the road with David Bowie on his 2002 Reality tour which was cut short due to illness.
Mark said: "I hope he tours again and I'd love to think I'd be involved because it was a really, really successful tour and one he said was one of his most enjoyable."
So can he ever switch off if he's going to a gig? He said: "My wife Annie is a huge Robbie Williams fan so I took her to Hampden a few years ago for her 40th to see him.
"She's up on her feet dancing and I'm sat down looking at the lighting rig and video screens, noticing there's a problem with that and how did they do that.
"She looks down at me and shouts, 'Would you get up and dance.'
"But it's a busman's holiday for me. I even complain in restaurants if it's really badly lit and offer them advice."
Doctor Who Live is from October 14-17 at Glasgow SECC.

Source: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbi...it-stage-wizard-mark-cunniffe-86908-22550699/

... he performed a full show twice on Tuesday and Wednesday before he died and he nailed it both times. :wub:

"I was devastated when he died. Even if he'd done one show, it would have been great to see him do it and take the accolades for it.

"I think it would have been one of his finest moments."...

Mark - who married wife Annie in Aviemore and has three children Ellen, 13, Charlie, 10 and Jamie, seven - had been trying to stop his excessive touring.

But he grinned: "It was one of those things that you get the phone call and you don't turn round and say, 'I'm busy.'

"You drop everything. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work with one of the biggest artists the world has ever seen."

After the briefest of hellos with arguably the greatest entertainer we've ever had, Mark was thrown straight into work. He said: "In our first meeting he was explaining the lighting notes for Billie Jean.

"It was six weeks before he died and before we moved to the Staples Center for the final rehearsals.

"He was telling me, 'I walk on stage, cock my hat, click my fingers and a light comes on.'

"I'm writing all this furiously. 'Then I move over, click fingers, light comes on. I turn to the audience, look this way, look that way, light comes on.'"
Mark is grinning at the memory. He said: "It becomes a surreal moment.

"Afterwards, I said thanks very much, Michael, went back to the control room and was straight on the phone to my kids saying, 'Guess who I've been speaking to.'"

THAT'S what I wanna see! :wild: I sure hope we get THAT on DVD, eventually.

Why didn't they just release the "full show" when they released TII.

Thanks for posting the article.

This makes me want to cry as well as make me angry that MJ died in this manner which could have been avoided.

of course he was ready.

it is so so sad... oh god why did it happen? why why why :(

i don't pay attention to articles written like that. it's clear that they know that there is money in writing his first and last name. they know that writing his first and last name draws world attention. so they write his first and last name at the headline...get attention, then use that despicable 'other name' in the message body. they know what they're doing, or they wouldn't be so deliberate.

Reading things like this always upsets me. How I wish he could have one just one show, just to prove everyone wrong.

Reading things like this always upsets me. How I wish he could have one just one show, just to prove everyone wrong.

well I think the movie TII proved everyone wrong.. It showed that MJ still had it and that he could sing 'live'. 'Human Nature' sounded so good it sounded like a recording.

why? i don't want to sound harsh, but MJ has nothing to prove. If there's anybody out there questioning his talent at this point, after all these years, they're just like people questioning his character and allegations against him. they just don't want to change their mind because they don't. very sad, but that's them. a person who is never satisfied, after seeing that kind of talent, is just a black hole IMHO

I LOVE hearing people who worked with Michael speak about him. Very nice article
I wish Michael could have aceived his dream of performing his TII concerts
I seperated it into paragraphs to make it easier to read
MICHAEL JACKSON was more than ready to do his 50 London dates before he died, according to one
of the last people to see him. Brit Mark Cunniffe was the lighting programmer and operator for This Is It
and saw Jackson's final two rehearsals before he died, aged just 50, in June last year.

Mark has worked with many of the world's greatest performers including David Bowie, Rod Stewart,
George Michael and Stevie Wonder. He is also lending his vast technical ability to the Doctor Who
Live arena tour that stops off at Glasgow SECC next month.

Like many, Mark wasn't sure Jackson whose last 82-date world tour had been in 1996, could cut it again.
The 44-year-old said: "If he'd died two weeks before he'd done it, I'd have said he'd never have done it.
But he performed a full show twice on Tuesday and Wednesday before he died and he nailed it both times.

"I was devastated when he died. Even if he'd done one show, it would have been great to see him
do it and take the accolades for it. "I think it would have been one of his finest moments."

Mark, who worked on the Balamory and Tweenies tours and turned Edinburgh Castle into Hogwarts when
JK Rowling read from Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince, got the call to work for Jackson through
Stevie Wonder. Mark - who married wife Annie in Aviemore and has three children Ellen, 13, Charlie, 10
and Jamie, seven - had been trying to stop his excessive touring.

But he grinned: "It was one of those things that you get the phone call and you don't turn round and say,
'I'm busy. '"You drop everything. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work with one of the biggest artists
the world has ever seen." After the briefest of hellos with arguably the greatest entertainer we've ever had,
Mark was thrown straight into work. He said: "In our first meeting he was explaining the lighting notes for
Billie Jean.

"I'm writing all this furiously. 'Then I move over, click fingers, light comes on. I turn to the audience, look
this way, look that way, light comes on.'" Mark is grinning at the memory. He said: "It becomes a surreal moment.

"Afterwards, I said thanks very much, Michael, went back to the control room and was straight on the
phone to my kids saying, 'Guess who I've been speaking to.'"

Source: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbi...it-stage-wizard-mark-cunniffe-86908-22550699/

why? i don't want to sound harsh, but MJ has nothing to prove. If there's anybody out there questioning his talent at this point, after all these years, they're just like people questioning his character and allegations against him. they just don't want to change their mind because they don't. very sad, but that's them. a person who is never satisfied, after seeing that kind of talent, is just a black hole IMHO

I'm talking about the endless crap we had in the media in the months leading up to the concerts, saying he wasn't up to it, he couldn't sing anymore, dance anymore, was too ill etc. He had nothing to prove you are absolutly right but proving the media wrong would have been something.

Thank you! It is so sad. When I think that I`m OK already something like this comes up and I feel again the pain and emptiness.

I wish he could have done it for himself, he worked so hard and was SOOO close to a return to the stage that he had been deprived of for years. There will always be haters/doubters so i wasn't too worried about him proving people wrong. I knew he always delivered with his performances but this was on a whole different level, this show would have been mind blowing :( He wa so close to showing his kids what he does best and puttting on one heck of a show for his fans who have supported him unconditionally.

I'm talking about the endless crap we had in the media in the months leading up to the concerts, saying he wasn't up to it, he couldn't sing anymore, dance anymore, was too ill etc. He had nothing to prove you are absolutly right but proving the media wrong would have been something.

that's what i'm talking about too. the media already knew he was the best. look how they're comparing all these upstarts to him now. the fact is, the media would never let you know that they knew he was the best..no matter what. hate is hate. they'd take one look at all the girls showing him love and then find something else horrible to say. envy is envy.

Last edited:
I hope one day we will see the full rehearsals, just like the Dangerous tour rehearsals.

he was ready, inspite of everything he went through and he was expecting his love for the stage , his fans and his children was there ! he was making history again , 3D and new moves and all that he dreamt of as a performer was coming true !
that's why i'm very sure he was ready and this is why he is not here with us today :(

why? i don't want to sound harsh, but MJ has nothing to prove.

I believe he had a lot to prove to himself. He's not really been living the life he was used to for the last 7/8 years before TII and it would be a true katharsis for him, had he lived it all, from the beginning to the end. I still think that, in spite of him passing away a week before going to London, he got to feel the excitement and saw how blessed he was to be able to do what he did.

I believe and I think Michael was forced by circumstances to agree to sign for the concerts in London. He knew that the tour reflects poorly on his health. Maybe he was really ready for the concerts, but judging by the events we know what its costing him all the tension. These words spoken by him on Cory Rooney give me reason to think that if he had not agreed to the concerts maybe today he would still be alive.

"I'm going to go back probably eight years ago and Michael told me, 'Cory, I can't tour anymore. I'm not gonna tour anymore. Ok? 'I said,' why Mike? 'He said,' Because it will kill me. 'That's what he said to me. He said, 'It will kill me.' Why would you say something like that? He said, 'Well, remember when I was preparing for my concert and I passed out at the Sony Studio?' He said, 'Well, it's because when I get ready for a tour I get dehydrated. I don't eat. I don't drink. I don't sleep. I put so much of myself into preparing for a tour. ''

He said, 'I'm not doing it on purpose. This is just something I don't think about anymore. You understand? I've just become so driven that I can't even think about these things anymore. They made me walk around with an IV last time. He said, 'So I just decided, my doctors decided that maybe you shouldn't do this anymore. He said he wanted to make the Invincible album work to the point where that was it. He's done with the tour. He's gonna do this Invincible album. He wanted to continue to put out albums. He said, 'I'll do albums till I can't do it anymore, but I just can't tour.'

I believe and I think Michael was forced by circumstances to agree to sign for the concerts in London. He knew that the tour reflects poorly on his health. Maybe he was really ready for the concerts, but judging by the events we know what its costing him all the tension. These words spoken by him on Cory Rooney give me reason to think that if he had not agreed to the concerts maybe today he would still be alive.

"I'm going to go back probably eight years ago and Michael told me, 'Cory, I can't tour anymore. I'm not gonna tour anymore. Ok? 'I said,' why Mike? 'He said,' Because it will kill me. 'That's what he said to me. He said, 'It will kill me.' Why would you say something like that? He said, 'Well, remember when I was preparing for my concert and I passed out at the Sony Studio?' He said, 'Well, it's because when I get ready for a tour I get dehydrated. I don't eat. I don't drink. I don't sleep. I put so much of myself into preparing for a tour. ''

He said, 'I'm not doing it on purpose. This is just something I don't think about anymore. You understand? I've just become so driven that I can't even think about these things anymore. They made me walk around with an IV last time. He said, 'So I just decided, my doctors decided that maybe you shouldn't do this anymore. He said he wanted to make the Invincible album work to the point where that was it. He's done with the tour. He's gonna do this Invincible album. He wanted to continue to put out albums. He said, 'I'll do albums till I can't do it anymore, but I just can't tour.'

I remember those words and how prophetic they became.:(

well I think the movie TII proved everyone wrong.. It showed that MJ still had it and that he could sing 'live'. 'Human Nature' sounded so good it sounded like a recording.

I agree, I actually prefer the live version in TII to the original recording and hearing it now sounds hauntingly beautiful. I'll admit when he first announced the tour I was very dubious and even just a couple of weeks before he died I remember saying how I didn't think it would go ahead but he proved me wrong. It's so sad to think he never got to tour, something he'd worked so hard on he never got the chance to show his fans the finished article. We should be thankful that footage of rehearsals exists, to me TII is pure gold.

It wasnt a tour, it was a residency. There is a big difference.

These kind of things make me feel sureal again.
I wish he never agreed to do TII. I wish he just made his amazing music for us.
Those concerts would be something the world has never seen.
When I just go back in time and look all those " The return of the King " videos and stuff....it"s killing me.
We were all waiting so long for something like that....for Michael to have the world under his feet. It would have been breathtaking.
But I still wish he never agreed. :(
I will NEVER get over it.

It wasnt a tour, it was a residency. There is a big difference.

you can't know what difference there is unless you're the artist doing it. you can't know what it is to perform daily, fifty times. you can't know if the artist knows where he is, what day it is, etc. after repeating that over and over and over again, after doing it for forty years. and besides...it wasn't going to be 'just' fifty concerts. you didn't hear what the long term plan really was. Phillips had big long term plans. for the world.

Hi,

This just broke my heart all over again. I lived for the excitement the was the return of the king! I used to come on this site and others , sometimes getting inside info from a few people , bu all that vanished and it seemed like my world was crushed! Still does! I was blessed to meet Michael twice, once in Prague and once in Wembley, i will never forget what type of person he was! So kind and sincere it brings tears to my eyes even now. I really wish that the events that took *our* Michael away from us never happened. I was to goto 2 of the concerts, i really do believe that He really was ready, but i dont think he was at first. However i also think that he was pushed more than ever to get the concerts rehearsed becuase if you look at past tours, he has done huge one offs for the likes of The Sultan of Brunei and others , just to have that test run of a FULL concert! this was done some 12 months before he went fully on the road! I really dont think that Michael had enough time to prepare, BUT! he done it.
In the rehearsals you can see him saving his energy, even his voice. People make me laugh when they say, well he was not as good in THIS IS IT! my god he was only giving say 10-15% of his energy till the full shows! If it is true that there is 2 full shows done and this includes full costume etc , that i would love to see!
All this but if Michael was to be alive and we didnt get the concerts for a full year i would of easily been happy! Dam how brutal and sometimes selfish is life!

The one thing that we all must be thankful of is that a lot of his last moments when he was obviously happy and at his best are either in This Is IT or there is more to come! Archived! the other thing is now the WORLD actually knows that Michael was and always will be the true KING OF POP! The star that really put SUPER in Superstar and the Mega in MEgastar! These terms nowadays are handed out very easily! but Michael was it! He was also an amazingly kind and careing human being, something else the world forgot about and rediscovered! In summary, tHE wORLD WAS SO CRUEL AT TIMES TO THIS CAREING, KIND AND ABOVE ALL Human being! who wanted nothing but to be loved and give love out, he was ridiculed because he was so good, and people just thought that too weird! Michael Jackson was too good for this world! As the saying goes , God takes the good Young how true of this person, I love you Michael and miss you so much.

Terry

you can't know what difference there is unless you're the artist doing it. you can't know what it is to perform daily, fifty times. you can't know if the artist knows where he is, what day it is, etc. after repeating that over and over and over again, after doing it for forty years. and besides...it wasn't going to be 'just' fifty concerts. you didn't hear what the long term plan really was. Phillips had big long term plans. for the world.

Yes, I`m completely agree with you.

Back