'Michael Jackson Was Charming But damaged': Elton John

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
Elton John has opened up about his friendship with Michael Jackson, describing the late music superstar as, "charming, sweet, lovely — but damaged." The 63-year-old chart topper recalled that sitting down to eat with Jackson proved to be a unique experience for the King of Pop.

"He came down here and we closed all the curtains and had lunch. He said it was the first time he'd sat down and had a meal with people for 10 years. He would always eat on his own," John revealed to the Telegraph. The Candle In the Wind singer said he was concerned about the strain Jackson put himself under. "I remember talking to Michael once when he did Thriller and I said, 'How are you going to top that?' He said, 'Oh, the next one's going to do twice as much' and I thought, 'Michael, it's not. You can't. You put so much pressure on yourself.'"...

http://foreign.peacefmonline.com/entertainment/201010/98056.php

"He came down here and we closed all the curtains and had lunch. He said it was the first time he'd sat down and had a meal with people for 10 years. He would always eat on his own,"

that's so sad. Michael didn't deserve to be that lonely :(

[QUOTE. He said it was the first time he'd sat down and had a meal with people for 10 years.][/QUOTE]

Poor michael :(

When he got children he would eat with them, but untill he got children I think (as he said many times himself) he was the most lonely person ever.

Imagine having millions of fans loving you, but no true friends to hang out with, not very often anyway. It most be terrible. Sit alone all the time in some hotel suite and hear fans scream outside the window not being able to be with them.

So lonely. So sad.

It sucks that he went through so much pain cuz of his success. I mean im sure a part of his success made him happy but i dont think it did really deep down inside.

that's so sad. Michael didn't deserve to be that lonely :(

It sucks that he went through so much pain cuz of his success. I mean im sure a part of his success made him happy but i dont think it did really deep down inside.

Guys, you do know at times, MJ tended to exaggerate things a tidbit right? Like taking Paris out if the hospital with the umbilical cord still attached.... o_O

I say we should keep things in perspective

Umm i wasnt even talking bout that....why mention it??

In this care, it is used as an example to drive home my point. Because no damn doctor would let MJ leave a hospital with a kid with an umbilical cord attached. O.O

And I think there are other examples of MJ's love for story telling. Like I said, keep some things in perspective.

Last edited:
Guys, you do know at times, MJ tended to exaggerate things a tidbit right? Like taking Paris out if the hospital with the umbilical cord still attached.... o_O

Umm i wasnt even talking bout that....why mention it??

I say we should keep things in perspective

I agree.

Let me explain

- first Elton John is not that trustful, around 2003-2005 he said something against Mike in an interview, pertaining allegations. Do not remember exactly in what interview, but there weren't good words.

- then Mike when he visited Elton John was in 1993, in England. He was upset over the allegations obviously. So the sadness Elton observed, it was normal one in those circumstances.
Elton do not say about the date, he said only that Mike said he hadn't have a lunch with people in 10 years.... But if those 2 were friends why they didn't have lunch together in 10 years?
So I assume it was their first meeting, their first was in 1993. After they become friends I assume that they have many lunches together as friends do. Then why mention such a distant remark from 1993 to sustain that Mike was damaged??

-->Elton is making a huge generalization, wanting for people to think that Mike was some fragile damaged druggie person.

- We all got a glimpse of some private home movies Mike got.... We saw Mike as having fun, having friends. The after June 25, various family pics of Mike emerged, in them we saw Mike having dinner with friends, gatherings, we also heard of barbecue parties etc
Back in 1993, why was Mike accused?? Because evil people are everywhere, and Mike was too friendly to people, and invited them to eat in his house, and he went in their houses. He was too open to everybody. For sure he got lunch with other people beside Elton John!!!

Mike was not that alone, not that damaged. Of course Mike got many , many moments of intense pain, sadness, betrayal, accusations, most than one can endure...
On the other hand he was also happy, loving comedy, pranks, going having dinner not eating alone all the time, parties, etc

What Elton is saying is pure exaggeration, generalization. Maybe Mike exaggerated a bit too, he was so sad back then...

--> In the context of what he said about Mike few years ago.... Sorry, Mike was not a friend of his in recent years. He didn't know Mike that much even in 90s, probablly met him few times, so he wasn't close friend, mostly friendly acquittance.And he comes out to tell us how 'damaged' Mike was. Shame! :doh:

I wish Elton could have stuck around for a little longer, he seems like a genuinely nice person.

But I guess it was always difficult to stay in touch with Michael.

I think Michael meant having a meal at somebody else's home..? Because he had meals with some friends in his hotel rooms (between 1987-1997) but it was not the same.

Hmm, either way I don't think he meant any harm by what he said. Elton's a great guy, I'm gonna leave it at that.

dont really have anytime for EJ. he helped mj out in 93 via liz taylor but that was about it. after that time he talked crap and him and ridiculed him for many years. now its all about i was friends with him blah blah blah even though i prob havnt seen him since 93 and if i did it was a quick hello.everyone wants to be you friend

Last edited:
What irritates me is that Elton like many ALWAYS ask Michael about topping Thriller, then when Michael answers, they make it seem as though Michael is obsessed with it.

Dangerous Incorporated;3034078 said:
Elton John has opened up about his friendship with Michael Jackson, describing the late music superstar as, "charming, sweet, lovely — but damaged."

Why do folks automatically turn into a SHRINK whenever they "try" and describe Michael Jackson?

I wonder how much time "Doctor" John spent with Michael after Michael had children. If I had to guess, I would say NONE!

Why do folks automatically turn into a SHRINK whenever they "try" and describe Michael Jackson?

I wonder how much time "Doctor" John spent with Michael after Michael had children. If I had to guess, I would say NONE!

That is a good point. You even see it in the media where Bashir said Michael was "manic." Now Michael's "friends" attempt to say something nice about him, but there is always this little dig with something negative to show Michael was "not like us." I wonder if Elton thinks he himself is "damaged?"

What irritates me is that Elton like many ALWAYS ask Michael about topping Thriller, then when Michael answers, they make it seem as though Michael is obsessed with it.

You do have a point. By asking him the question "how are you going to top it", they're in fact suggesting it can be topped. And when he says, he's going to, they tell him it can't be done. Whatever pressures MJ put on himself were certainly compounded by everybody around him, talking out of both sides of their mouths.

John revealed to the Telegraph. The Candle In the Wind singer said he was concerned about the strain Jackson put himself under. "I remember talking to Michael once when he did Thriller and I said, 'How are you going to top that?' He said, 'Oh, the next one's going to do twice as much' and I thought, 'Michael, it's not. You can't. You put so much pressure on yourself.'"...

lol Did Elton John not realize that questions such as that contribute to pressuring someone?

I think Michael meant having a meal at somebody else's home..? Because he had meals with some friends in his hotel rooms (between 1987-1997) but it was not the same.

Maybe that is what he meant. Because during that period, I remember some stories about his dinners with Liza Minnelli and Liz Taylor, plus he was married for some of that '87-'97 period. This is also when he first moved into Neverland and his nephews, nieces, and family have talked about how much time they spent there with him.

lol Did Elton John not realize that questions such as that contribute to pressuring someone?

You see, that is my point exactly. He probably got tired of hearing that question. Everything he did after that, people compared it to thriller. Thank god he was able to move on and do many more wonderful things!!!

i have no time for these wann be friends suddenly but if michael was damaged then i don't know what he calls himself :crazy:

LMFAO. Michael Jackson was "damaged." If people were half as "damaged" as Michael, the world would be a better place.

If anything, I am amazed by how untouched his soul seems to be. Through all the hate, greed and lies that he saw, he remained beautiful, loving, wise, forgiving. I'm amazed he didn't flip out and just start hating on people and saying how ugly the world is.

Michael didn't put pressures on himself, cause he always gave his best to the world. It was people like you Elton John (so called friends)keep putting pressures on him. so bad you had to live with your jealousy forever, because you will never ever come close to Michael Jackson.

LMFAO. Michael Jackson was "damaged." If people were half as "damaged" as Michael, the world would be a better place.

If anything, I am amazed by how untouched his soul seems to be. Through all the hate, greed and lies that he saw, he remained beautiful, loving, wise, forgiving. I'm amazed he didn't flip out and just start hating on people and saying how ugly the world is.

on the spot ,:yes:

Its sad to hear Michael being so lonely, just wish he had more people in his life that he could rely on. Thank god that the kids came into his life.

Some of you need to stop with all this bitterness towards people. In the excerpt, Elton John never once used the word damaged, that's what the article implies. And without seeing the full interview, there's no way you can assume he even said that, other than what the article says. And Michael said himself how he used to be extremely lonely, he's said this on more than one occasion. Remember when he would describe after the release of Thriller how he'd walk the streets alone, in search of a genuine friend, and not someone who just wanted to be around him because of what he had. In terms of real friends, I'm sure Michael knew that that would rarely be the case and opted to just be alone.

Thread cleaned. This bitterness is not becoming to read. Please think before posting.

Bitter fans ruining things again. I really am sick of this, it never used to be like this here.

Back