Michael Jackson Was a Serious Collector of Books (Over Ten Thousand Volumes)

CherubimII

Proud Member
Southern Bound: The reader, a quieter side of Michael Jackson

http://blog.al.com/entertainment-press-register/2009/08/southern_bound_the_reader_a_qu.html
Posted by [URL="http://blog.al.com/entertainment-press-register/about.html"]John Sledge, Books Page Editor[/URL] August 23, 2009 3:00 PM

Categories: Books
Michael Jackson: "I watch cartoons. I love cartoons. I play video games. Sometimes I read."
Paul Theroux: "You mean you read books?"
MJ: "Yeah. I love to read short stories and everything."
PT: "Any in particular?"
MJ: "Somerset Maugham ... Whitman. Hemingway. Twain."

Who'd a thunk it? Michael Jackson a serious reader? Paul Theroux's recollection of an old conversation published in a recent London Telegraph indicates, and a June 27 story in the L.A. Times confirms, that the King of Pop was apparently just that. Jackson certainly isn't the only popular musician known to have a literary bent -- Keith Richards is famously bookish, and in her 10,000 Maniacs days, Natalie Merchant flung paperback copies of Jack Kerouac's "On the Road" into the audience -- but he is surely the most surprising.
medium_MichaelJackso.JPG
(AP Photo)Michael Jackson

Or perhaps not. That Jackson was complex and troubled is common knowledge. And though California hosts legions of self-help gurus and clinics and pills of all sorts, great literature has wrestled with the conundrums of the human condition for centuries. Wherever else he may have turned for answers, it is now evident that Michael Jackson found solace in literature.

In the L.A. Times story, numerous southern California booksellers reported that Jackson was a regular customer, and a good one, often leaving with four or five volumes. Sometimes a store would get a request to close early so he could browse without being confronted by fans. He always arrived with beefy bodyguards and sometimes perused the shelves in outsized sunglasses or behind a surgical mask or under a black umbrella. He rarely spoke, but when he did, he was quiet and polite. One clerk recalled that Jackson loved poetry and another that he favored Emerson. "I think you would find a great deal of the transcendental, all-accepting philosophy in his lyrics," one of them told the Times.

Jackson liked to discuss what he had read, though the circle of trusted confidants who could keep up with him was likely small. "We talked about psychology, Freud and Jung, Hawthorne, Sociology, black history and sociology dealing with race issues," one of Jackson's attorneys, Bob Sanger, told the L.A. Weekly. Noting that Jackson was well-versed in the classic works of all those subjects, Sanger concluded, "Go down the street and try and find five people who can talk about Freud and Jung."
Theroux was surprised at how substantive his exchange with Jackson turned out to be. After being vetted for an interview by Elizabeth Taylor ("He'll talk to you if I ask him to"), Theroux was awakened by a telephone call during the wee hours from the King of Pop himself ("the voice was breathy, unbroken, boyish"). After some discussion about Jackson's close friendship with Taylor, which Theroux likens to the relationship between Wendy and Peter Pan, the talk ranged over issues of fame and family before moving to the theme of lost childhood.

Theroux quoted a line from the Irish poet George William Russell: "In the lost boyhood of Judas/ Christ was betrayed." Jackson's response was a soft "wow" and then a series of rapid-fire questions about what this meant, and what exactly was known about Judas, his childhood and his life. "I told him," Theroux explained, "that Judas had red hair, that he was the treasurer of the Apostles, that he might have been Sicarii -- a member of a radical Jewish group, that he might not have died by hanging himself but somehow exploded, all his guts flying." This was followed by another 20 minutes of "Biblical apocrypha with Michael Jackson on the lost childhood of Judas" before the star uttered another soft "wow."

So, in his quiet moments Jackson was reading long and deep, seeking inspiration and insight. Then why did those vapid tours of Neverland Ranch (both before and after his death), which highlighted the carnival rides and the zoo animals and the fountains and the floral clock and the palatial mansion and the theater, never show or even mention Jackson's personal library? According to Sanger in the L.A. Weekly, it consists of ten thousand volumes. There, I would humbly suggest, might lie more than a few answers to the many puzzles of Michael Jackson.

(John Sledge edits the Press-Register's Books page. He may be reached at the Press-Register, P.O. Box 2488, Mobile, AL 36652.)

Sanger concluded, "Go down the street and try and find five people who can talk about Freud and Jung."

very true mj was an exceptional man on many levels .

It impresses me that he was a big reader. He was definitely an intelect - maybe not scholasticly (we've all seen his spelling! lol), but he would have had a high IQ. You could tell.

The most suprising? Not really. :) MJ is very intelligent. I would have loved to see his library. I love books too. Thanks for posting.

super interesting!!!! I can imagine MJ reading!!! (it's very easy) be cause reading is a quiet activity that needs concentration and deep thinking (well XD..SOMETIMES)
But did he had bad spelling?

We got a good look at his library in the Oprah Interview.

wow that is so cool! Im studying history this semester.. my favorite subject too

Who'd a thunk it? Michael Jackson a serious reader?

Well, who'd a thunk it? Michael Jackson a serious dancer?

I guess you have to look into the inner person to find out how they really are. It's a shame, many people only think his head is filled with music and dance and nothing more :(

wow..MJ read books?? I thought he only climb tree!!

J/K
as if they just found out the earth is round! lol
Actually I read on here last time he'd read one book per day. Not sure if it's true though. And from some of his interviews, you could see he's very intelligent. But 99% of the time he's asked dumb questions so we don't get serious answers from him.

Below is a part of the article by deepak chopra. I like it. It really goes to show who he really was.
When we first met, around 1988, I was struck by the combination of charisma and woundedness that surrounded Michael. He would be swarmed by crowds at an airport, perform an exhausting show for three hours, and then sit backstage afterward, as we did one night in Bucharest, drinking bottled water, glancing over some Sufi poetry as I walked into the room, and wanting to meditate.

That person, whom I considered (at the risk of ridicule) very pure, still survived — he was reading the poems of Rabindranath Tagore when we talked the last time, two weeks ago. Michael exemplified the paradox of many famous performers, being essentially shy, an introvert who would come to my house and spend most of the evening sitting by himself in a corner with his small children. I never saw less than a loving father when they were together.

Nice interview from 1991/92. I think this interview esp shows his intelligence and spirituality.
EBONY/JET: What was the concept for the Dangerous album?

JACKSON: I wanted to do an album that was like Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite. So that in a thousand years from now, people would still be listening to it. Something that would live forever. I would like to see children and teenagers and parents and all races all over the world, hundreds and hundreds of years from now, still pulling out songs from that album and dissecting it. I want it to live.

EBONY/JET: I notice on this trip that you made a special effort to visit children.

JACKSON: I love children, as you can see. And babies.

EBONY/JET: And animals.
JACKSON: Well, there's a certain sense that animals and children have that gives me a certain creative juice, a certain force that later on in adulthoed is kind of lost because of the conditioning that happens in the world. A great poet said once. "When I see children, I see that God has not yet given up on man." An Indian poet from India said that, and his name is Tagore. The innocence of children represents to me the source of infinite creativity. That is the potential of every human being. But by the time you are an adult, you're conditioned; you're so conditioned by the things about you--and it goes. Love. Children are loving, they don't gossip, they don't complain, they're just open-hearted. They're ready for you. They don't judge. They don't see things by way of color. They're very child-like. Thats the problem with adults: they lose that child-like quality. And thats the level of inspiration that's so needed and is so important for creating and writing songs and for a sculptor, a poet or a novelist. It's that same Idnd of innocence, that same level of consciousness, that you create from. And kids have it. I feel it right away from animals and children and nature. Of course. And when I'm on stage. I can't perform if I don't have that kind of ping pong with the crowd. You know the kind of cause and effect action, reaction. Because I play off of them. They're really feeding me and I'm just acting from their energy.

EBONY/JET: Where is all this heading?

JACKSON: I really believe that God chooses people to do certain things, the way Michelangelo or Leonardo da Vinci or Mozart or Muhammad Ali or Martin Luther King is chosen. And that is their mission to do that thing. And I think that I haven't scratched the surface yet of what my real purpose is for being here. I'm committed to my art. I believe that all art has as its ultimate goal the union between the material and the spiritual, the human and the divine. And I believe that that is the very reason for the existence of art and what I do. And I feel fortunate in being that instrument through which music flows .... Deep inside I feel that this world we live in is really a big, huge, monumental symphonic orchestra. I believe that in its primordial form all of creation is sound and that it's not just random sound, that its music. You've heard the expression, music of the spheres? Well, thats a very literal phrase. In the Gospels, we read, "And the Lord God made man from the dust of the earth and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul." That breath of life to me is the music of life and it permeates every fiber of creation. In one of the pieces of the Dangerous album, I say:"Life songs of ages, throbbing in my blood, have danced the rhythm of the tide and flood." This is a very literal statement, because the same new miracle intervals and biological rhythms that sound out the architecture of my DNA also governs the movement of the stars. The same music governs the rhythm of the seasons, the pulse of our heartbeats, the migration of birds, the ebb and flow of ocean tides, the cycles of growth, evolution and dissolution. It's music, its rhythm. And my goal in life is to give to the world what I was lucky to receive: the ecstasy of divine union through my music and my dance. Its like, my purpose, its what I'm here for.

EBONY/JET: What about politics?

JACKSON: I never get into politics. But I think music soothes the savage beast. If you put cells under a miscroscope and you put music on, you'll see them move and start to dance. It affects the soul.... I hear music in everything. [Pauses] You know, that is the most I've said in eight years ..... You know I don't give interviews. That because I know you, and I trust you. You're the only person I trust to give interviews to.

Last edited:

And from some of his interviews, you could see he's very intelligent. But 99% of the time he's asked dumb questions so we don't get real answers from him.

:D the tree climbing part is funny.

I hate that. During the Bashir interview he was asked, "So you prefer climbing trees and water balloon fights over making love?"

Michael was like, I'm just going to turn my head and not answer that. What a smart response.

Although, I believe he's asked dumb questions because most of his interviewers weren't smart enough to ask anything other.

Thanks to the OP for posting his great article about Michael's book collection.

Lilsusie, thank you for your post with those snippets of Chopra and MJ interviews. Michael was such a deep thinker and I've always felt that he was extremely intelligent. In some ways, I felt like he was enlightened about many issues and ideas in the world and that's why he tried to make music about these issues and ideas so that everyone else could get it. Does that make sense?

I think others questioned Michael's higher intellect because of his 'strange' behavior, the fact that he was childlike, and maybe because he didn't go to college. Not that the latter is a strong excuse for not being intelligent.

But when you think about it, the great musical and artistic genuisus of history were never 'normal' everyday people. They were extraordinary.

I also think Michael liked to read because it is a form of escapism.

Michael Jackson: "I watch cartoons. I love cartoons. I play video games. Sometimes I read."

Sounds like me. Oh how I would love to chat him up about books and philosophy, and see his library. If only...I think we could get along well if we met in real life. :)

J/K
as if they just found out the earth is round! lol
Actually I read on here last time he'd read one book per day. Not sure if it's true though. And from some of his interviews, you could see he's very intelligent. But 99% of the time he's asked dumb questions so we don't get serious answers from him.

:lol: @ the only climb trees. I think his interviewers are more interested in the controversal stuff. Many questions they ask deal come from their crooked perception of who he is. They ask things not because they are really seeking but so they can say 'See I knew he was a weirdo!'

They could care less who he really is as a man. Remember what he told Oprah: Why is that interesting? I'm a big admirer of Michaelangelo. If I got a chance to speak with him I would want to know what inspired him to create, not who he went out with last night...

The snippet from the 1991/1992 interview w/ Ebony/Jet is amazing. Do you have the entire interview?

SMH at the author finding it surprising I mean really is he saying that singers are just suppose to sing and not know anything else sheesh......

I also remember that during 1995, Bill Bellamy (an Mtv VJ), asked Michael who is the person that Michael wanted to collaborate with most in the world on a song.

Michael said 'Hmm, I really don't know. Maybe Tchaikovsky?'

That surprised me and Bill Bellamy both!!!

I was really into classical music as a teenager! LOL!

I also think Michael liked to read because it is a form of escapism.
In a way...but I think he read more about society, humanity and the harsh realities of life than fairy tales. Michael loved finding out about why people act the way they do, especially when it came to prejudice.
He especially loved reading biographies and finding out what made a person great or successful and what led great celebrities to their downfalls.

Michael already revealed in the 70s and early 80s that he was a big reader and that he slept to classical music...:)

Last edited:
^ I agree CarinaT... especially from his position, watching human nature would have been fascinating...

This makes me wish I'd gotten to talk to him so much more :(

Michael, why didn't you stay? :(

I like the fact that he's asking many questions when he's amazed by a particular subject, he's a true thinker and intellectual!
Even in his old interviews where he's about mid 20s or so you can tell from the way he speaks that he has done a lot of reading about psychology and stuff, and in another interview when he went to australia, the lady who was with him said that they went to a bookshop and he bought old medical books.
Thanks for posting these stories and interview!

:lol: @ the only climb trees. I think his interviewers are more interested in the controversal stuff. Many questions they ask deal come from their crooked perception of who he is. They ask things not because they are really seeking but so they can say 'See I knew he was a weirdo!'

They could care less who he really is as a man. Remember what he told Oprah: Why is that interesting? I'm a big admirer of Michaelangelo. If I got a chance to speak with him I would want to know what inspired him to create, not who he went out with last night...

The snippet from the 1991/1992 interview w/ Ebony/Jet is amazing. Do you have the entire interview?

I loved watching Martin Bashir being scared of climbing a tree lol

Back