Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley - Who's your favorite?

I certainly like Elvis and love many of his songs and enjoyed his movies. (like Michael he was loved by millions) MY older sister was HUGE Elvis Fan and was devistated when he died. I didn't truly understand her grief until MJ died. :( IMO Michael out shines Elvis and is my favorite over any other singer or performer. I love everything about him :wub:

The only thing Elvis has over Michael is a successful film career, which Michael dreamed of but never took shape.

Honestly, I think Michael's short films make up for that. I know they weren't exactly "real movies" but the music videos we have of Elvis will never compare. Michael was always involved in the creative process of all of his videos and each one was unique and artistic. They really are Michael Jackson's vision put right before your eyes and to me, it's amazing to actually see. I'd take one 10 minute Michael Jackson short film over 3 Elvis movies anyday.

The only thing Elvis has over Michael is a successful film career, which Michael dreamed of but never took shape.

I don't think Michael could have ever had a film career not because he had no talent but because he was larger than life , he was the most famous person in the world, he was Michael Jackson for G's sake, he couldn't be just some character ...unless he was playing him...that's what I always thought about this subject..

I don't think Michael could have ever had a film career not because he had no talent but because he was larger than life , he was the most famous person in the world, he was Michael Jackson for G's sake, he couldn't be just some character ...unless he was playing him...that's what I always thought about this subject..

Basically I agree, but I can imagine him in a role like Edward Scissorshand.

I voted for Michael obviously, I like Elvis but I don't think it's accurate the millions of copies sold on both of them. Michael has sold more than Elvis, 400 million isn't true at all.

So what is the tally now?

Michael 82%
kermit.gif
tumblr_m8pgrqJ7QC1r6kpk7.gif
and Elvis 17% :fear:

Be on alert, guys! Elvis fans are out in force - it's only 74% now and going down quickly! So keep voting for Michael!

Michael will win this contest, Elvis came from another time and most of his fans are probably not big internet users.

RIP Michael and Elvis, you both left us too early.

I really don't understand how anyone can call Elvis Presley a genius. He was a good singer and a good entertainer but genius? I don't think so, because to me you have to write and compose your own songs to be called a genius and Elvis never did that.

The people who wrote and composed those songs for Elvis. They were the real geniuses

Totally agree!!! To be called a genius, a true artist.. you have to create. If there's no creativity, there's no genius.
And no other artist ever was so complete like Michael. Michael was an amazing singer, amazing dancer, choreographer, amazing entertainer, amazing composer, amazing producer.... he was the best in everything!

Michael has to win this poll, because he's THE ONE!!!!

I don't take notice of these kinds of polls anymore because they only turn into a popularity contest between the two sets of fans clouding the fact that both artists were incredible and both popular to the generations they represented.

Totally agree!!! To be called a genius, a true artist.. you have to create. If there's no creativity, there's no genius.
And no other artist ever was so complete like Michael. Michael was an amazing singer, amazing dancer, choreographer, amazing entertainer, amazing composer, amazing producer.... he was the best in everything!

Michael has to win this poll, because he's THE ONE!!!!
Absolutely agree, I think Elvis is really to overrated cause there were at his time like 5 better black artists, he basically stole music from black community and put it there for lame whites who couldn't handle the raw emotional black music, because people were still racist at his time

It looks like Elvis fans or MJ haters found this poll. We need more votes for Michael. Maybe people could send the link to this poll on Twitter or other MJ sites? Michael is still winning, but I want him to win by a landslide! :)

Maybe they jam and have fun together now and then on the other side..who knows

Voted :)

No contest really, I never was a fan of Elvis, like some have said I found him overrated. Respect for his album sales and popularity, but he was just a singer, Mike was much much more

I don't take notice of these kinds of polls anymore because they only turn into a popularity contest between the two sets of fans clouding the fact that both artists were incredible and both popular to the generations they represented.

:yes:

There seems to be a gang mentality with some MJ/Presley fans. Like I honestly could care but both of them were really talented in their own ways. I always loved Elvis' vocals. His vocals are sorely underrated due to the iconic nature treated of his image and vintage footage (that is all over YouTube so it ain't like there's billion folks who "don't know" who Elvis is). I actually read he was a "producer" of some material because he would arrange the songs to how he saw fit. Steve Sholes and Jelton Farvis, who were Elvis' main producers during his post-Sun Records career, said that they just supervised the production while Elvis basically took over recording sessions, telling musicians he wanted a certain thing with his songs. Michael did the exact same thing while working at Motown (later years) and with Quincy Jones, Teddy Riley, Jam & Lewis, R. Kelly and Rodney Jerkins. If he felt something was out of his range, he'd change it himself or would go back over it before he felt his vocals were great for a particular song.

Obviously you can't compare them when they entertain audiences because they were totally different in that regard. Elvis had a sort of sex appeal when he would move and shake his hips that left women nuts. Michael did similar but added more complicated dance steps. Elvis was more of a "mover" while Michael of course was a dancer. That said, their movements reached a fever pulse with audiences who ate it up. Both Elvis and MJ impersonators fall flat when they try to emulate them. :rolleyes:

Sales figures are exaggerated on both of them. MJ was around between 300-400 million. Elvis roughly 150-200 million. Yet no one sold as many as those two did.

To correct one of the comparisons, Neverland was a "ranch". But Elvis had his own ranch, "Circle G", in Horn Lake, Mississippi, just outside Memphis. Michael had "The Hideout" in L.A. and Elvis had his own "hideout mansions" in Palm Springs and Bel-Air, California.

When it comes to some chart figures, Michael actually topples Elvis. Though he did indeed score 17 number-ones (or 14 according to one Elvis historian) throughout his career, about 7 of them were in the Billboard Hot 100. The other 7 (or 10) came from other Billboard pop charts (Elvis had 7 number one Billboard Top 100 hits) and if it's to be believed that the Billboard Top 100 was the real precursor to today's Billboard Hot 100 (which was first tabulated three weeks before MJ's birth) then Elvis had 14. While Michael was nearly close with 13. Billboard magazine didn't actually do Elvis favors by, one, saying he had either 17 or 18 number-ones (which is inaccurate, as he was number one on other component charts that weren't the main pop charts at all), and another, eliminating the 1955-1958 achievements of the Billboard Top 100 by only including "Hot 100" figures from 1958- which doesn't mean it's official.

Also factor in that Elvis and MJ came from completely different eras and attract their own unique audiences either for those who grew up with both or those who are more interested in nostalgia than the current pop field (both MJ and Elvis have attracted young fans post-mortem since their deaths).

But yeah polls like this are really silly. It's just really an opinion. A poll is not gonna determined who will be "remembered more". They even said it themselves: "who's your favorite?" LOL

Absolutely agree, I think Elvis is really to overrated cause there were at his time like 5 better black artists, he basically stole music from black community and put it there for lame whites who couldn't handle the raw emotional black music, because people were still racist at his time

If Elvis stole, what does that make Bill Haley, Jerry Lee Lewis, the Everly Brothers, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Buddy Holly and Pat Boone then? Elvis, Eddie, Gene and Jerry Lee at least kept their covers of R&B material as raw as the R&B material was while Bill and Pat gave it a "white polish". There was nothing polished about Elvis until the sixties.

Back