Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley - Who's your favorite?

HIStory

Proud Member
http://www.squidoo.com/michael-jackson-elvis-presley

So far MJ is in the lead but Elvis is quickly closing on. It was 70% for MJ yesterday, now it's only 55%, so vote!

[h=2]Who do you think is better - Michael Jackson or Elvis Presley[/h]
lens21033079_1368015207__a_a.jpg
Arguably, they are two best and most influential solo male performers of all-time who dominated in their own eras. Two of them are also most selling artist after The Beatles. Saddest thing is that both of these geniuses left this world too early, but they sure made their impact on world and music industry while influencing most of today popular singers.
So who is your favorite? Let's dissect their similarities, differences and advantages. And, be sure to vote and leave a comment on your favorite one.

draft_lens21033079module167579724photo_1368218246.png

Similarities

• 1 Both of them grew up in very poor conditions.
  • 2 Presley and Jackson are both well remembered for their eccentric costumes and recognizable dance moves.
  • 3 Elvis Presley was known for his estate called Graceland, while Michael Jackson had his Neverland ranch.
  • 4 Both of the musicians had Lisa Marie Presley playing important part of their lives. Elvis was father of hers, while MJ was married to her.
  • 5 Elvis Presley was called the "King of Rock 'n Roll", while MJ was called the ''King Of Pop''.
  • 6 At the end of their lives, both musicians lives were somehow depressing and sad to watch, while they struggled with their vices.
  • 7 Both of them died young and somehow unexpectedly. Elvis died at age of 42 and Michael at 50.

Michael Jackson Advantages

• 1 Michael obviously had better dance skills and overall was a better entertainer
    • 2 MJ albums averagely sold far better than Elvis's considering Michael had far less albums
    • 3 Michael Jackson wrote many of his own songs, unlike Elvis who wasn't really known for his songwriting skills
    • 4 Jackson revolutionised music videos after making of Thriller, and broke many racial barriers being the first black artist featured on MTV
    • 5 Michael Jackson was awarded Artist of the Century Award by AMA

Elvis Presley Advantages

• 1 Elvis Presley completely changed rock and roll and majorly influenced leading rock artists like Beatles
      • 2 Elvis Presley played acoustic guitar, and sometimes piano on his concerts, unlike Michael Jackson who never played instruments on his concerts
      • 3 Elvis sold about 50 - 100 million albums more than Michael Jackson
      • 4 Whole Las Vegas could rename itself to Elvis Presley City, because all Las Vegas is filled with Elvis impersonators, and whole city makes a lot of references to The King.
      • 5 Each year Graceland (Elvis's property) is being visited by approximately 600 000 visitors making it second only to the White House in terms of famous American homes

Elvis presley is a thing of the past while MJ's influence can be seen everywhere and in today's pop scene which makes him relevant and alive.

This, at least, is one of the better "who is best star?" polls. It provides relevant and fair info about MJ and Elivs and doesn't include Wannabes or modern media-favourites like JB.

That's the numbers I saw too. Honestly, when we're at full force, I don't think anyone can compete with this fanbase, Michael's. I love it.

What, I can vote only one time:D
I voted in the morning, and was going to vote again, but seemingly this poll is proper no cheating poll :cheeky:

Voted. Vegas has MJ impersonators too. I passed by one when I went there a few years back. And then wait until Michael Jackson One comes out. The Elvis Cirque du Soleil show didn't last so...

No contest for me.

I really don't understand how anyone can call Elvis Presley a genius. He was a good singer and a good entertainer but genius? I don't think so, because to me you have to write and compose your own songs to be called a genius and Elvis never did that.

The people who wrote and composed those songs for Elvis. They were the real geniuses

Michael - Michael - Michael!

GO GO GO !!!

Keep voting. MJ wins!!

I really don't understand how anyone can call Elvis Presley a genius. He was a good singer and a good entertainer but genius? I don't think so, because to me you have to write and compose your own songs to be called a genius and Elvis never did that.

The people who wrote and composed those songs for Elvis. They were the real geniuses

I agree. In art if we are talking about a "genius" I always associate that with creativity. And Elvis was not a creative artist, he was just a performer. Performed what others wrote for him. Many liked his voice and image, but that does not make him a genius.

I like the fact how they both had a song by the name Heartbreak Hotel. It's symbolic of their differences IMO. Elvis' HH was written by others (Mae Boren Axton and Thomas Durden) and although it went #1 (it was Elvis' first #1 hit) it's a pretty simple, typical rockabily song, musically not too exciting IMO.

The Jacksons' HH was written by Michael and it's very rich in musical ideas, very creative both musically and lyrically. A great, great song IMO - although relatively lesser known.

Both are great but I have to say, for me, Michael wins hands down.

I agree. In art if we are talking about a "genius" I always associate that with creativity. And Elvis was not a creative artist, he was just a performer. Performed what others wrote for him. Many liked his voice and image, but that does not make him a genius.

I like the fact how they both had a song by the name Heartbreak Hotel. It's symbolic of their differences IMO. Elvis' HH was written by others (Mae Boren Axton and Thomas Durden) and although it went #1 (it was Elvis' first #1 hit) it's a pretty simple, typical rockabily song, musically not too exciting IMO.

The Jacksons' HH was written by Michael and it's very rich in musical ideas, very creative both musically and lyrically. A great, great song IMO - although relatively lesser known.

The "Heartbreak Hotel" comparison is a great example to use when comparing them as artists. I have to agree with you. I, too, think Elvis lacked in creativity. I won't deny he had a good voice but other than that, that's it. Honestly, I think Elvis and Michael Jackson are too different as artists that they are incomparable. But that's just me.

Voted for Michael of course.

Last edited:
^ Very different artists indeed. I guess they get compared nevertheless because of their status as huge icons.

I also think Elvis is mighty popular in the US, but not as global as Michael.

love them both. my beloved Elvis' music is the soundtrack of my life and i'll always be devoted to him. BUT MJ was more educated in music and while it's true that he never played instrument on stage i'm sure he could play, lets say piano more accurately than Elvis. both are legends on their own but artistically MJ wins. that said, it doesn't have to take away from Elvis' genius and his artistic ability. like it or not, it was there.

So true. This is also why Elvis has always failed to impress me.
Yes, Elvis could sing and perform, but he was not an artist, he was merely an image. I have no interest in people who don't write or create their own music to be honest.

The reason why I fell so hard for Michael is because he is brilliant at everything he does. He does it ALL himself, he is the ultimate musical genuis. Elvis doesn't even begin to come close to Michael's talent.

Michael is at 81% now and Elvis at only 18%.

respect77;3825067 said:
Well said. I understand if people like his music or his image, but I just don’t understand how anyone can call him some sort of genius. He was a good performer, but that’s it. He didn’t really create anything, all of his music was written for him by someone else.

I also don’t understand it when people say that Elvis revolutionized rock music. He didn’t create rock music, he just got credit for it whereas the real pioneers never got the credit they deserved.

I can't choose because Elvis was the king of rock and MJ is the king of pop.

Elvis Presley does not deserve the "King of Rock" title, as far as I'm concerned. Reasons being:

* Michael was a visionary. Elvis did more of the same material over his entire career and didn't take many risks, other than being the "first white artist to sing black music". Michael worked with newer sounds,
* Michael was a superior dancer. Watching videos of Elvis performing, I will admit he had fantastic rhythm. But he really wasn't a dancer, per se. He just moved his hips to the rhythm and flung his legs around. There's a video of him performing Hound Dog live where his dancing is just terrible. Then when you watch Michael, he made even the simplest dance moves look amazing.
* I cannot stand Elvis's singing voice. I never could explain it, I just don't like that accent he puts in his songs. Maybe it's just the way he always sang - I don't know, I'm not an Elvis aficionado - but regardless, it's irritating.
* As far as I'm aware, Elvis did not write his own music. This is the major down point of many artists, as far as I'm aware. A true musician would put more effort into his craft rather than just making profit off of others work. Michael solely wrote 9 of the 11 tracks on Bad along with hundreds of other songs over his career, showing that he had the imagination to do so.
* Elvis's sales can't really be confirmed. There was an article that criticized the belief that Thriller sold 110 million copies worldwide due to the fact that, in the '80s, keeping track of record sales was difficult. And yet that author failed to realize that Elvis's heyday was decades before Michael was born, when track of record sales was even more difficult. So how can we be sure Elvis sold more than Michael?

There are many more, and I feel bad bagging on Elvis, but I just could never understand why he is so acclaimed. Michael is superior in terms of... well, nearly everything. The only thing Elvis has over Michael is a successful film career, which Michael dreamed of but never took shape.

Back