Michael Jackson Sales Thread: An Update

Michael Jackson's "Hold My Hand" (featuring Akon) vaults from #98 to #35 in its second week on Hot Digital Songs. Akon was featured on Jackson's 2008 remix of "Wanna Be Startin' Something." Both of these records have made the Hot 100. Akon is one of only two artists to be billed on with two charted collabos with Jackson. The other is Paul McCartney.

Also, Jackson's 1983 classic "Billie Jean" tops the 2 million mark in paid downloads this week. It's Jackson's second song to top the 2 million mark, following "Thriller" (2,539,000). Jackson is only the second artist to top the 2 million mark in paid downloads with two songs that were released in the '70s or '80s. The other is Queen, which has scored with "Bohemian Rhapsody" (2,233,000) and "We Will Rock You" (2,013,000).

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_wat...een-of-hip-hop/

Billboard 200
99 (142) Number Ones, Michael Jackson

Hot 100
50 (84) Hold My Hand, Michael Jackson Duet With Akon

Hot R&B / Hip-Hop Songs
44 (45) Hold My Hand, Michael Jackson Duet With Akon

Top Music DVD's
2 NEW Michael Jackson's Vision
13 (20) Live In Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour
21 (30) Number Ones Michael Jackson
34 RE-ENTRY Video Greatest Hits: HIStory

For some reason, Brazil has been completely forgotten by Sony: no VISION's official release date yet, and no MICHAEL's pre-order. :no:

Before blaming fans or saying fans are turning against Michael, could we take a step back and see what really is happening?

First, the people who are active in fan forum remain the minority of the general audience. This forum is among the biggest MJ fan board. However, the number of members who actively engage in daily discussions are fewer than 1,000 worldwide. Can we make up 20% to 30% of Sony's anticipated pre-order? I highly doubt.

Second, has there been any promotion on the ablum? There is no TV ad, hardly any radio airplay, no live performance, no magazine interview. The momentum hasn't even started building.

Third, do the songs Hold My Hand and Much Too soon genereate buzz? They are both beautiful songs. But, not the kind of songs that "excite" people. In my opinion, neither Hold My Hand nor Much Too Soon is a wise chose to launch the album.

Forth, vocal authenticity issue aside, is Breaking News a good song? Many people who don't care about the vocal controversy find the song sound "unfinished", not profesionnal produced.

Fifth, the nature of this album is in fact a posthumous album. It's not really the "next hot item", which is a fact. Last year, the album This Is It was helped by a theatrical release. The buzz on MICHAEL the album is muted. So far, the general public outside of fan community heard Breaking News, Hold My Hand and Much Too Soon. Unfortunately, none of these three song is strong enough to raise interest.

Some of us here are more excited about the leaks than the songs on the album. That explains something. Thus far, the way this project is handled leaves much to be desired. With the release date getting closer, I hope excitement level will go up.

Finally, it truly is not fair to blame fans for the lackluster pre-order level. It's even more unfair to say fans are destroying Michael's legacy. Fan who are not buying this album also love Michael. Most of them are willing to buy a third copy of Invincible or HIStory or Dangerous.

At the end of the day, this album is such an insignificant addition to Michael's glowing catalog. His legacy is defined and solidified long long time ago. The media always have negative things to say. But, no one will determine Michael's success based upon a posthuous album.

The fact that Michael has his own video game and another Grammy nod are proofs that he's still relevant. I won't lose sleep or be upset if this album underperform.

All the tracks on MICHAEL are indeed Micheal Jackson. To believe otherwise is preposterous. Stop hurting this album, people. So damn sad...

Agreed...

Im not gonna say those ppl who wont buy the album are right or wrong or you should blame this and that for the poor expectations because at this time im just drained and tired of this whole mess.... But this is a sad read (fan back lash).

So sad. I would have sworn that could never happen.

Second, has there been any promotion on the ablum? There is no TV ad, hardly any radio airplay, no live performance, no magazine interview. The momentum hasn't even started building.

This is a major concern, I donno what they are preparing!

The 20-30% is a 'throw away comment'.

It doesn't take into account the many Michael Jackson fans - like me - that are going to buy 10+ albums, just because of the boycott!

Most of these albums will be bought in small qty's, in cash, from multiple outlets, so they all count towards the charts. (wink)

Sony will not yet know about these 'sales', as they are not 'pre-orders', but they will all hit during the first week and hopefully get 'Michael' to number 1 all across the world.

Having heard some of the songs, I think this album will be bigger than some of us first anticipated - despite 'the haters'!

GO MJ!

The 20-30% is a 'throw away comment'.

It doesn't take into account the many Michael Jackson fans - like me - that are going to buy 10+ albums, just because of the boycott!

Most of these albums will be bought in small qty's, in cash, from multiple outlets, so they all count towards the charts. (wink)

Sony will not yet know about these 'sales', as they are not 'pre-orders', but they will all hit during the first week and hopefully get 'Michael' to number 1 all across the world.

Having heard some of the songs, I think this album will be bigger than some of us first anticipated - despite 'the haters'!

GO MJ!

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

I will buy sooo many copies too. I will give it to many friends, family members etc. etc.

And I'll buy at least 5 to my self.

Yes... I don't understand why this "anti-" album battle is sooo important for some individuals that they "processed" half the forums-fan base... More dangerous than processing vocals on a track, if you would ask me.
Some frustrated fans needed a target to fight, by lack of ... a murderer in prison? Or what? It seems to me a fight in blind anger... What's important? A fighting angry ego or the love for Michael Jackson?
I can't take this... Some fans don't hear, don't feel Michael in the tracks... well I can't feel or hear YOU anymore, the only thing I hear is the word "fake" and no loving beating hearts...

Can't you let the world HONOUR OUR MAN WHO DESERVES IT SO BAD, MICHAEL JACKSON ?
For God's sake.

Instead of fighting for REAL justice..... to bring that murderer ( and maybe find other guilty ones ) in JAIL.

Fight for some songs, that still got some Mike in them.... Ok I understand till some point.... But when this is turning up a mess that is hurting more Mike than Sony, then I cannot see this as inoffensive...

At least on this Board people still can voice opinions, on other board for ex. I am afraid to express it, to not become verbally lynched...

sad news once again those you boycott the album you only hurt MJ not the estate or sony

The Estate is hurt along with Mike, because from legal point the Estate is MIke's will on earth and he let this for his kids. So this entity representing Michael is hurt as well. Estate is not that large, not that big and powerful as Sony.

Sony is not hurt, because they are big company, they got other artists, electronics, movies etc People boycotting are mosquitoes bites for them.

Folks, the album is just $10...
What's the point of fretting over buying it or not buying it?
Just buy it. Every $10 spent will contribute to making MJ #1
across the world again. (Just my opinion)

Do not forget the Estate will give 20% percent of gains to CHARITIES sponsored by Michael. :wub:

SONY is NOT the enemy. - If there really is one anyway.

BUT SONY is NOT to blame!

If you give 10 dollars for this album - 2 will go to charity right?

Another reason why to buy it!

No! That is completely incorrect!

OK. I didn't know.

But Tipareth wrote:
Do not forget the Estate will give 20% percent of gains to CHARITIES sponsored by Michael. :wub:

And MJ's will said something about 20 % to charity.

But OK. If a CD is sold for 10 dollars and SONY get's 6 dollars and the estate gets 4 dollars then it is 20 % of the 4 dollars that go to charity right?

STILL buying Michael WILL donate money to charity! :punk:

Michael Jackson's "Hold My Hand" (featuring Akon) vaults from #98 to #35 in its second week on Hot Digital Songs. Akon was featured on Jackson's 2008 remix of "Wanna Be Startin' Something." Both of these records have made the Hot 100. Akon is one of only two artists to be billed on with two charted collabos with Jackson. The other is Paul McCartney.

Also, Jackson's 1983 classic "Billie Jean" tops the 2 million mark in paid downloads this week. It's Jackson's second song to top the 2 million mark, following "Thriller" (2,539,000). Jackson is only the second artist to top the 2 million mark in paid downloads with two songs that were released in the '70s or '80s. The other is Queen, which has scored with "Bohemian Rhapsody" (2,233,000) and "We Will Rock You" (2,013,000).

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_wat...een-of-hip-hop/

Billboard 200
99 (142) Number Ones, Michael Jackson

Hot 100
50 (84) Hold My Hand, Michael Jackson Duet With Akon

Hot R&B / Hip-Hop Songs
44 (45) Hold My Hand, Michael Jackson Duet With Akon

Top Music DVD's
2 NEW Michael Jackson's Vision
13 (20) Live In Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour
21 (30) Number Ones Michael Jackson
34 RE-ENTRY Video Greatest Hits: HIStory

Yeehee!!! Great!

HMH went from #3 to #16 this week in Denmark!

Maybe it will rise next week after the video is released.

love is magical;3109557 said:
Before blaming fans or saying fans are turning against Michael, could we take a step back and see what really is happening?

First, the people who are active in fan forum remain the minority of the general audience. This forum is among the biggest MJ fan board. However, the number of members who actively engage in daily discussions are fewer than 1,000 worldwide. Can we make up 20% to 30% of Sony's anticipated pre-order? I highly doubt.

I dont think online fans boycotting the album can make up to 20-30% of Sony's anticipated pre-orders but online fans can affect sales by word of mouth.if fans keep telling friends and families that the songs are fake bla bla bla,then it's going to kill the album sales cos they too would tell their friends/families as well and this would have a domino effect.

As you said MJ's legacy is sealed and this posthumous album wouldnt affect his legacý,but it would have been great if the album came out with a bang.Sony/estate messed up by putting on tracks with questionable vocals on the 1st posthumous album,they could have used 7 good-great MJ tracks with 3 fillers and this album would have done very well and could have used the questionable tracks on subsequent albums.

Michael is part of MJ's legacy. Even though MJ's legacy already now is set in stone, another smash hit album wouldn't hurt!!

If you give 10 dollars for this album - 2 will go to charity right?

Another reason why to buy it!

No. It would go 20% from what estate si making out of this deal. Let's say Estate are making 2-3 $ per cd sold. Then 20% out of these 2-3 $ would go to charities. That would make few cents, like 40-60 cents per album going to charities.

( I do not know the real deal between Estate and Sony, and how much will the Estate make, meaning real numbers )

I don't know the role of taxes here... But I guess charities money are taxes free, meaning the state does not take taxes on those money right?

OK. I didn't know.

But Tipareth wrote:

And MJ's will said something about 20 % to charity.

But OK. If a CD is sold for 10 dollars and SONY get's 6 dollars and the estate gets 4 dollars then it is 20 % of the 4 dollars that go to charity right?

STILL buying Michael WILL donate money to charity! :punk:

No. It would go 20% from what estate si making out of this deal. Let's say Estate are making 2-3 $ per cd sold. Then 20% out of these 2-3 $ would go to charities. That would make few cents, like 40-60 cents per album going to charities.

I don't know the role of taxes here... But I guess charities money are taxes free, meaning the state does not take taxes on those money right?

Yeah. I wrote that above already!

BUT still - buying Michael is donating money to charity! - AND yes - taxfree.

Yeah. I wrote that above already!

BUT still - buying Michael is donating money to charity! - AND yes - taxfree.

I've saw it now, you wrote it while I've been writing my part, in the same time. lol

It's sad that people still think the tracks are fake. They obviously haven't heard the songs 2,000 Watts or Shout before...
But anyway this information is amazing :wild:

itunes update in US
hold my hand is # 75

itunes bestselling pop album charts
#25 the essential michael jackson
#35 "michael"
#36 number ones
#46 thriller
#89 MJ's vision dvd
#99 this is it

itunes christmas chart
# 88 jackson 5 christmas album