Michael Jackson Mijac Song Catalog Will Moonwalk to His Sony/ATV Publishing

i'm supposed to believe Michael was ever in debt owning a planet of music like that? The songs i see in that catalogue are the most legendary songs ever written. i hear them all the time. i just looked at one on youtube. it's always been the case. New York New York, sung by Sinatra, is played every time the Yankees win a game There have been too many ppl obsessed with Michael for ever since I can remember, as far as his own music is concerned. Do the math. It's like Michael Jordan. MJ could be a total fool and not ever be in debt, owning that value, as M. Jordan is associated with the Nike swoosh, even though he has nothing to do with it. I will continue to stay in my vaccum believing he was never in debt, just like i don't believe in dinosaurs. Now i realize that the definition of debt can be subjective..it can also mean that phantom lying people wanted to disguise the word 'steal' with the words 'having Michael indebted to them', as was the case. A lot of phony people out there that harrassed Michael. I'll continue to stay in my vacuum believing that one, too, especially since it has been human nature, and many people, when they realized they weren't as talented as him, started to take phony credit for things he did, and claim he owed them, ever since he was at least 14 years old.
Michael..indeed..the smartest of them all. Got his kids taken care of.

Last edited:
Moonwalker.Fan;3693976 said:
The Michael Jackson music catalog, known as MiJac, has been moved to Sony-ATV from Warner Chappell. In layman’s terms: this is a blow to Warner Music and a major win for Sony. Even though MiJac was heavily leveraged for years, I’m told the loan from HSBC is down to around $4 million. The Michael Jackson estate still owes just under $300 million to Bank of America on separate loans Michael took against his ownership in Sony-ATV Music Publishing.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me how this is possible??? The Estate was supposed to have made about $500M since Michael passed and they only managed to pay back the smaller debt??? How do they ever plan on repaying the said $300M debt if you consider that the post 25/6 peak interest in Michael's music has passed now and we'll never again witnes such a hype around his music again? If it took 3 years of high interest into Michael's music to repay the smaller debt, how many years will it supposedly take to repay the bigger debt?

Orrrr could the article be wrong?

I don't know if it's the same in the USA as it is for us doing business in Belgium but in some cases it's more favourable to keep paying a loan or getting a loan to purchase something even if you have the money to purchase it outright. All has to do with taxes and stuff. So probably that's why they just keep paying Sony/ATV loan, instead of paying it outright?

the cat loan had a large intrest rate so that can obviously be a factor in whats paid. looking at the glaziers/ manchester united is a good example of that

But the articles by friedman so... hes been obsessed with mj losing the sony/atv for over 10 years. i take whatever he says good or bad with a pinch of salt.

I am wondering when the loan against Sony/atv is gonna pay off. I know the loan against mijac almost paid off but I heard little to none about his atv loan. From the estate second accounting, mijac brought $30 millions but sony/atv only 6 million and 3 miilion paid the atv loan. In such amount, his atv loan would never paid off with high interest. Michael's 50% Sony/atv should also remain his, why the executor didn't promise that, only promise mijac will 100% owned by his children? Any info about the loan against ATV? There is no way Michael's estate couldn't clear his atv debt.

I'm not sure but I think I read it in one of the Leslie's post that Michael had an agreement with Sony/ATV that he pays off his loan from his share of profits what they get from the catalogue. That could be the reason why in second accounting Sony/ATV brought in only "small" amount compare to Mijac. Maybe Ivy has more info about this agreement?

Another thought, when Sony/ATV purchase new catalogues such as Famous Music, wouldn't Michael as a 50% owner have to pay 50% of this new purchase. I wonder if the money for these purchase is used from profits?
Ivy, have you got info about this?

I thought executors promised earlier that they have no intention to sell ATV.

Last edited:
Yeah. the money mj makes off sony/atv went into a trust (horizon). the money from the trust went direct to paying off the loan. this was created around 07/08 when he refinanced.

and when sony/atv buys a new cat then yes i would presume it comes out of profits or sony/atv will get a loan. but u would presume it reduces the payment made to mj and sony for that year.but either side does not pay 50% out of their own pocket it just comes out of sony/atv the company which then i guess in the short term would reduce profits for both sides

Hah, I finally found it from Leslie's blog:)

- Sony/ATV and MiJac deal renewal means according to my information: MJ-ATV Publishing Trust (MJ 50% share in Sony/ATV Music Publishing) is under New Horizont Trust II. until December 10, 2012. MJ Publishing Trust (MiJac catalouge mostly) in uder New Horizon Trust III. until the same time. MJ set up these new trusts to get more money against his publishing assets. NHT II's debts are handled by Wells Fargo Bank, NHT III's debts by HSBC Bank and Plainfield Gaming II. Inc. The Estate already refinanced NHT III's debts (MiJac) as it's been reported in the media. These debts might be paid out around late next year, but no later then the end of 2012. What I knew about the refinancing of NHT II's debts (Sony/ATV) was that no later then September 27, 2010 the Estate has to pay off John Branca, because of he sold his share in the company. As I can remember it was like $20 million. This summer Estate sources confirmed in the media, that they are in negoitations about getting better terms for a possible renewal of the deal later this year. This all means that the Estate is paying back money on other dates and other installations.

- MiJac public performance agreement renewal: I read in a court paper that last November the Estate sat down with all the companies responsible for collecting MJ's public performance royalties and inked a better deal for the Estate. That included BMI (as for MJ's solo songs) and Warner (as for the MiJac catalouge) amongst others.

- The Estate paying off debts: As to my best knowledge, neither MJ or his Estate used the publishing assets against any loan we didn't knew about. That's what official papers says as well. The amount used to be said between $270-$320 million. According to an Estate leaked information this Summer, the MiJac loan will be repaid no later than the end of 2011. That means $70 million off. We have no official information on the Sony/ATV loan. What we know is that according to an agreement made in December, 2005 MJ agreed to repay the loans from the catalouge's yearly incomes. Back then it meant like $40 million annually. What we know for sure, that MJ relied on different people in the last 4 years of his life in financial matters. There is no way that he would live off $40 million every year while being the guest of the Bahrain, Oman royal families, living with a family in New Jersey and lately using the money from the AEG deal. According to some information the Sony/ATV incomes were splitted between him and the banks like $10 and $30 millions. If this is true, then since 2005 MJ and his Estate had to pay off like $120 million of the debts, leaving like $80 million unpaid. But. In 2007 Sony/ATV bought the Famous Music catalouge for $400 million. According to sources, the original 1995 Sony-MJ agreement said that MJ has to pay half of the cost of any such purchases. This is why MJ's Sony/ATV debt might be still around $280 million.
http://lesliemjhu.blogspot.ie/2010_09_01_archive.html

Addition to above, this post says ATV loan will be paid off 2015
"Sony/ATV Debt Has Been Renegoiated!
The MJ Estate deals with two major debts, the first one has been renegoiated late last year and will be paid off late next year.

The other debt that MJ took against his 50% stake in the Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC has been just renegoiated! According to the documents dated for September 15, 2010 Wells Fargo Bank will handle the debts in a complicated agreement between the two parties and various Sony entities.

These debts will be paid off no later than 2015!"

I hope that is true:)

Last edited:
Ilike the Thriller 25 credit because it implies MJ was willing to work for Sony in 2008

"PETER LOPEZ, EXTRA SPECIAL THANKS FOR ALL YOUR PASSION AND VISION ON THIS RECORD.
YOU'RE THE BEST AND WE COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU.
I WISH TO GIVE A SPECIAL HEARTFELT THANK YOU TO L. LONDELL McMILLAN FOR YOUR COUNSEL,
STRENGTH AND SUPPORT. YOU REALLY HELPED MAKE THIS PROJECT HAPPEN.
YOU REALLY HELPED MAKE THIS PROJECT HAPPEN. WE MUST MAKE HISTORY AGAIN.
THANK YOU, WITH LOVE TO :
RAYMONE K. BAIN, VAN ALEXANDER, THERESA CROSS, EMIL JONES, ADEAN WELLS KING,
MICHAEL LaPERRUQUE, JOVAN BEARD, WILLIAM MARSHALL, JR., GRACE RWARAMBA, EVVY TAVASCI,
DIANE SIMMONS WILLIAMS, MICHAEL WILLIAMS, WILLIAM WHITFIELD, MIKO BRANDO, SETH RIGGS
AND LYNDA MAYHAND PARRISH
FRANK DiLEO, THANK YOU FOR YOUR LOVE AND SUPPORT, LOVE ALWAYS MICHAEL"

001372a9ae27119d824b14.jpg

Michael Jackson founded Sony ATV with Sony in 1995.

Ilike the Thriller 25 credit because it implies MJ was willing to work for Sony in 2008

"PETER LOPEZ, EXTRA SPECIAL THANKS FOR ALL YOUR PASSION AND VISION ON THIS RECORD.
YOU'RE THE BEST AND WE COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU.
I WISH TO GIVE A SPECIAL HEARTFELT THANK YOU TO L. LONDELL McMILLAN FOR YOUR COUNSEL,
STRENGTH AND SUPPORT. YOU REALLY HELPED MAKE THIS PROJECT HAPPEN.
YOU REALLY HELPED MAKE THIS PROJECT HAPPEN. WE MUST MAKE HISTORY AGAIN.
THANK YOU, WITH LOVE TO :
RAYMONE K. BAIN, VAN ALEXANDER, THERESA CROSS, EMIL JONES, ADEAN WELLS KING,
MICHAEL LaPERRUQUE, JOVAN BEARD, WILLIAM MARSHALL, JR., GRACE RWARAMBA, EVVY TAVASCI,
DIANE SIMMONS WILLIAMS, MICHAEL WILLIAMS, WILLIAM WHITFIELD, MIKO BRANDO, SETH RIGGS
AND LYNDA MAYHAND PARRISH
FRANK DiLEO, THANK YOU FOR YOUR LOVE AND SUPPORT, LOVE ALWAYS MICHAEL"

Karen Faye keeps has repeated on her twitter for 3 years now that MJ had to do the Thriller25 because he was in a contract with SONY and he only fulfilled the contract. At the same time, some people say he was a free agent and he chose to work with SONY again. So many different stories to this.

I dont think Karen knows what she is talking about :)

Karen Faye keeps has repeated on her twitter for 3 years now that MJ had to do the Thriller25 because he was in a contract with SONY and he only fulfilled the contract. At the same time, some people say he was a free agent and he chose to work with SONY again. So many different stories to this.

I don't believe she knows what she is talking about. If you read the Bain lawsuit, it was negociated by MJ's camp and the project came from them. He signed a contract with 2 seas records in April 2006 so he was a free agent. The Thriller copyright belonged to Sony so it's why it was released by Sony. He was involved in the promotion.

Those 2 capture are interesting it's from the Bain lawsuit

http://i.imgur.com/acnSk.png

http://i.imgur.com/IMoXk.png

Last edited:
I thought the Number Ones cd was the last thing he was obligated to do with Sony. I don't know.

yes..always so many different stories.

Karen has also said she didn't know about Michael's business.

IMO fans really need to see through karen faye's true color and ignore her. I used to follow her on twitter and thought she cared about MJ, not anymore. Her fairweather mind will be changed by who pay her bill. she can one minute hypocritically criticized michael's children shouldn't be interviewed by Oprah because how much oprah's words hurt michael but another minute changed 180 to kiss Gloria Allred's ass after she paid her (the one and only mediawhore got the Michael Jackson told her to go to hell 'honor'). Wasnt she fired by Michael at the time he worked on thriller 25 because of that fansite fiasco? I think Michael said number one is his last contractual album with Sony. I believe Thriller 25 is michael's free will to work with them again after Sony's management team changed.

I don't trust Sony and never will but they are the good choice to work with on business point of view. Sony is the very few music company now still make money thanks to Michael Jackson. Michael was the co founder of Sony/atv, should always be. My only concern now is the loan against Michael's Sony/atv, which the estate is very capable of clearing out the debts.

Last edited:
As for Karen Faye, someone asked her today and this is what she said

http://i.imgur.com/TUoj4.png

She wasn't around MJ during that time and she doesn't even now when Bain started working for him.
oh just saw this. good! I hope Karen Faye now can stop talking about Michael's business. She needs to know her place. she was just the makeuper Michael fired many times, although herself believed she was more than a employee that every woman in Michael's life was jealous of. The reality is Karen Faye was fired by Michael in 06, only rehired in his comeback tour along with John branca, frank dileo, Michael bush and other old team crew.

Last edited:
By the way, why did he thanked Dileo in Thriller 25.

I guess maybe cuz he was michaels manager one time and he was just showing how thankful he was for frank being there for him of the time he was michael's manager.......... :unsure:

By the way, why did he thanked Dileo in Thriller 25.

It's not because Frank got fired as his manager that they were enemies, they remained good friends. In fact, Frank went on managing 3T and stood by MJ during the trial.

I guess maybe cuz he was michaels manager one time and he was just showing how thankful he was for frank being there for him of the time he was michael's manager.......... :unsure:

Well, he had others managers and he didn't speak about them in the album.

Last edited:
i guess cause as mj said to frank at the trial out of all the managers ive had your the only one thats contacted me to see how i am. they remained good friends and became close again after the trial

Wasn't 2007 around when Frank and Mike were back in contact and there was talk already about him managing him again?

anyway, this is absolutely amazing news, everything is now under control of MJ Estate=MJs kids, Michael would have been so happy.
BTW, that makes (would have made) Michael the real and undisputed music mogul, the music (multi) billionaire.
I hope one day Prince Michael and Paris will take over the multi-billion business!

Back