Michael Jackson Mijac Song Catalog Will Moonwalk to His Sony/ATV Publishing

qbee

Proud Member
Mijac Catalog has moved from Warner Chappel into Michaels OWN Sony/ATVCatalog. making it even more valuable.
This doesnt mean Sony/ATV owns the Catalog - They are just administrating/managing the publishing rights.
The MJ Estate still owns Mijac Catalog 100%.

ivy;3693789 said:
Catalog ownership and catalog publishing are two different things.

Yes Michael owns 100 % of Mijac. It's not going to change.

Artists cannot spend all the time giving permissions to people use the songs and go around collecting royalties etc. So they give the management - not ownership to publishing companies. Publishing companies provide these services and get a fee for the job they do.

Now Sony/ ATV will manage Mijac , Estate will still totally own it.

Estate will get more money because their costs is reducing. For example if they had a 50-50 deal with Warner, MJ Estate would get 50 and Warner would get 50. Even if the same 50-50 deal is done with Sony/ ATV, Sony would get 25 and MJ Estate would get 50 + 25. As the 50 get Sony/ATV gets will be divided among Sony and MJ Estate.

SONY / ATV MUSIC PUBLISHING SIGNS EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE ADMINISTRATION AGREEMENT TO REPRESENT MIJAC MUSIC CATALOG

NEW YORK —August 20, 2012—Sony/ATV Music Publishing announced today that the company has entered into a worldwide administration agreement to represent Michael Jackson’s iconic Mijac Music catalog. Founded by Michael Jackson in 1980 as his personal publishing company, Mijac Music grew to include – in addition to all of his own incredible songs – the classic Sly and the Family Stone catalog, songs by the legendary Philadelphia soul team of Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff as well as songs made famous by other artists such as Ray Charles, Elvis Presley and Aretha Franklin.

Martin Bandier, Chairman and CEO of Sony/ATV said of the announcement , “We are thrilled that the Estate of Michael Jackson has entrusted us with this incredible catalog of songs, and everyone at Sony/ATV looks forward to finding innovative ways to use these songs, while protecting their legacy.”

John Branca and John McClain Commenting on the deal, co-executors of the Estate of Michael Jackson remarked, “Michael’s songs in the Mijac Music catalog not only showcase his greatness as a performer but also his creative genius as a songwriter. We are excited that the company Michael helped found, Sony/ATV Music Publishing, and in which his Estate remains a 50% partner, will represent these amazing songs along with a rich collection of other music recorded by some of our greatest popular artists.”

The agreement comes in advance of the September 18 release of BAD25, a new two-disc-package and DVD that marks the 25th anniversary of Michael’s landmark BAD album.

The Mijac catalog includes all of the songs written by the legendary King of Pop, Michael Jackson, including “Another Part Of Me,” “Bad,” “Beat It,” “Billie Jean,” “Black or White,” “Can You Feel It,” “Dangerous,” “Dirty Diana,” “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough,” “Earth Song,” “Heal the World,” “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You,” “Jam,” “Scream,” “Smooth Criminal,” “They Don’t Care About Us,” “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’,” “The Way You Make Me Feel” and “We Are The World.”

Also included in the Mijac catalog are some of the most iconic songs in rock, pop and soul music history, including ”Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now,” “After Midnight,” “Ease on Down the Road,” “Great Balls of Fire,” “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher,” “I Got A Woman,” “If You Don’t Know Me By Now,” “Love Train,” “Mr. Bojangles,” “People Get Ready,” “Runaround Sue,” “Shake, Rattle and Roll,” “Sixteen Candles,” “The Wanderer”, “What’d I Say,” “When a Man Loves a Woman” and “You Don’t Know Me”. Of special note the catalog includes the songs made famous by Rock and Roll Hall of Fame artist Sly and the Family Stone, including such hits as “Dance To the Music,” “Everybody is a Star,” “Everyday People,” “Family Affair,” “Hot Fun in the Summertime,” “If You Want Me To Stay,” “Sing a Simple Song,” “Stand” and “Thank You.”

About Sony/ATV Music Publishing

Sony/ATV Music Publishing, established in 1995 as a joint venture between Sony and Michael Jackson, is the world’s leading music publisher. Together with EMI Music Publishing, Leiber Stoller, Mijac Music, Motown and the Famous Music catalogs, Sony/ATV owns or administers more than 2 million copyrights, including some of the best known songs ever written. Sony/ATV’s catalog includes “New York, New York,” “All You Need Is Love,” “You’ve Got a Friend,” “Moon River,” “Jailhouse Rock,” “The Mission Impossible Theme,” “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” “Over the Rainbow,” “Stand By Me,” “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” and “Singin’ in the Rain.” In addition, Sony/ATV represents the copyrights of such legendary artists as The Beatles, Leonard Cohen, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Carole King, Kraftwerk, Joni Mitchell, Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Queen, The Rolling Stones, Richie Sambora, Sting, Wyclef Jean, Hank Williams and Stevie Wonder, among others. Its ever-growing list of chart-topping artists, writers and producers includes Beyoncé, Fall Out Boy, Jay-Z, Jessie J, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Lady Antebellum, Lady Gaga, John Mayer, P!nk, RedOne, Shakira, Ed Sheeran, Stargate, Taylor Swift and Kanye West.

Below is an email from Co-Executor John Branca to Jeff Jampol, GM of the MJ Online team

"Jeff:

I understand that you are being asked a lot of questions about Mijac.
Yes, there is a matching right that Michael granted to Sony/ATV but they only get to administer the catalog for a limited term AND only if they agree to unprecedented favorable terms. We will not relinquish ultimate control and ownership to anyone. We have favorably refinanced the loans on Mijac which will be paid off and the catalog WILL absolutely be passed to Michael's children as long as we have anything to say about it.

Sony/ATV is a great company and the Estate owns half of it but no one, not even Sony/ATV, will ever own Mijac while John McClain and I remain in charge.

The current Sony team is the one Michael chose to work with on the Thriller 25 release and they are good partners. As stated in the recent court filings, they worked with us to refinance the burdensome debt that had been placed on Michael's interest in Sony/ATV to very favorable terms, an important achievement which insures that Mijac and Michael’s masters remain secure for the benefit of Michael's children for years to come.

I would appreciate your sharing this with the fans that are asking questions.

Thanks – John

John Branca
Co-Executor
The Estate Of Michael Jackson
Los Angeles, CA "

This has been in the making for some time -This article below is from Feb 2011

Michael Jackson Song Catalog Will Moonwalk to Sony/ATV Publishing

Exclusive: Michael Jackson, even in death, remains in the middle of the current musical chairs deals in the declining record industry.

For all these years, Michael’s MiJac Publishing has been administered by Warner Chappell, part of what is now Warner Music Group. MiJac includes not only Michael’s hits that he wrote, like “Billie Jean” and “Beat It,” but a vast number of other hits including those of Ray Charles, Curtis Mayfield, and Sly and the Family Stone.

Warner Chappell doesn’t own MiJac but it administers the rights to it and collects hefty fees. With WMG for sale, and talk of Warner Chappell being sold off, MiJac would seem like an integral part of their story.

But there’s a hitch that I can reveal to you: MiJac is leaving Warner Chappell and going to become part of Sony/ATV Music Publishing, the company that Michael Jackson’s estate co-owns with Sony and contains the Beatles catalog.

According to sources, this arrangement was written into the MiJac contract with Warner Chappell years ago.
The move by MiJac to Sony/ATV is a big deal for many reasons. With both WMG and EMI Music for sale, Sony

http://www.showbiz411.com/2011/02/1...g-catalog-will-moonwalk-to-sonyatv-publishing

qbee;3693430 said:
Of the announcement, Martin Bandier, Chairman and CEO of Sony/ATV said, “We are thrilled that the Estate of Michael Jackson has entrusted us with this incredible catalog of songs, and everyone at Sony/ATV looks forward to finding innovative ways to use these songs, while protecting their legacy.”

I don't know much about Warner Chappell and how they work, but Martin Bandier is THE MAN, when it comes to this type of business.

Big Ups to this move and to The Estate of Michael Jackson. Well done!

With Mr. Bandier at the helm, Michael's music will TRIPLE in value, in my opinion.

One question. Will the estate still keep 100% ownership of Mijac with this move or what will happen?

Edit: Nevermind. Saw the email

Last edited:
Yay for the Estate... once again!!!

So, I'm trying to make sense out of this whole publishing/distribution rights. So confusing lol. Can someone tell me if my idea of how I think it works is correct?

Mijac.jpg

Lol I dont get this heheh.

One question. Will the estate still keep 100% ownership of Mijac with this move or what will happen?

I think it's pretty clear by the email from Branca that they do keep ownership of Mijac.

I think it's pretty clear by the email from Branca that they do keep ownership of Mijac.

I completely missed his email for some reason (didnt read it) haha so dumb!!! So thanks!

Last edited:
Another wonderful move by Michael's estate and loving the reassurance that Mijac and Michael's Masters will always be there for his children as long as they are in charge of things.

Another wonderful move by Michael's estate and loving the reassurance that Mijac and Michael's Masters will always be there for his children as long as they are in charge of things.
Yes, I'm also very grateful that The Executors made it VERY clear that they will continue to be in full control of Michael's personal catalog and Michael's Masters.

You know just in case Rebbie, Janet, and Randy decide to kidnap their mother again, and release ANOTHER letter stating that The Estate of Michael Jackson SOLD Michael's catalog against his wishes. Because without The Executors being clear on this point the "Mommy Nappers" would be out there screaming bloody murder.

Once again, well done Estate!

I think it is important to point out that this has already been settled in early 2011. So this is not news, it's just been turned over now (such complex business restructuring take a lot of time).

And I hope we won't read conspiracy theories here about Sony and/or the Estate from people who lack the knowledge and business insight.

And I hope we won't read conspiracy theories here about Sony and/or the Estate from people who lack the knowledge and business insight.

Oh, don't worry (LOL), I'm sure there will be a FEW folks who will be screaming that "Sony STOLE Michael's catalog," not wanting to know the full story.

This is a great development and will ensure the MJ Estate make more money out of MJ's catalogue than before. Perfect.

Also, I didn't realise than Sony/ATV now owns or administers over 2million(!) copyrights. I remember when it was 'only' about 750,000, but that was before they bought Famous Music etc.

I bet Steven Randall's big head is about to explode

That made me laugh, because I was just thinking the very same thing.

Deals are being. Money is coming in. Debts are being paid off. Lawsuits are kicking butt (thus far). The Executors are handling their handle in a very professional way.

Yeah, I can definitely see Randy Jackson laying in the fetal position trying to figure out what his NEXT move should be. LOL!

I am wondering when the loan against Sony/atv is gonna pay off. I know the loan against mijac almost paid off but I heard little to none about his atv loan. From the estate second accounting, mijac brought $30 millions but sony/atv only 6 million and 3 miilion paid the atv loan. In such amount, his atv loan would never paid off with high interest. Michael's 50% Sony/atv should also remain his, why the executor didn't promise that, only promise mijac will 100% owned by his children? Any info about the loan against ATV? There is no way Michael's estate couldn't clear his atv debt.

I am wondering when the loan against Sony/atv is gonna pay off. I know the loan against mijac almost paid off but I heard little to none about his atv loan. From the estate second accounting, mijac brought $30 millions but sony/atv only 6 million and 3 miilion paid the atv loan. In such amount, his atv loan would never paid off with high interest. Michael's 50% Sony/atv should also remain his, why the executor didn't promise that, only promise mijac will 100% owned by his children? Any info about the loan against ATV? There is no way Michael's estate couldn't clear his atv debt.

The Estate restructured the Sony ATV Loan to a lower interest rate and also stated that it would remain part of the MJ/Estate in a different message .. - this message is addressing the Mijac Catalog only

Good news. thanks. i can see certain ppl spitting flies at this news. which makes it even better

August 20, 2012 6:06 pm
Deal agreed over Michael Jackson catalogue

By Andrew Edgecliffe-Johnson in New York

Michael Jackson hits from Beat It to Billie Jean will for the first time be represented by the late singer’s publishing joint venture with Sony, after Sony/ATV Music Publishing agreed a deal to administer the Mijac Music catalogue.

The rights have been administered since Mijac was founded in 1980 by Warner-Chappell, the publishing arm of Warner Music. Publishing companies typically generate less revenue from administration deals than from copyrights they own.

The deal represents the latest move by Jackson’s executors to clean up what was a tangle of assets encumbered by large debts at the time of his death in 2009. Then, industry executives estimated the Mijac catalogue’s value at $50m-$100m, but there was a $73m loan from Barclays secured against it.

Within a year, Billboard estimated that the value of Mijac had risen to $150m, with a surge in sales of Jackson’s music after his death doubling annual revenues to $50m.

Jackson’s estate made clear in a message distributed to fan sites that it still owned Mijac and had no plans to sell. “Sony/ATV is a great company and the estate owns half of it but no one, not even Sony/ATV, will ever own Mijac while John McClain and I remain in charge,” said John Branca, co-executor with Mr McClain.

Sony/ATV would administer the catalogue “for a limited term” and on ”unprecedented favourable terms”, he said. The estate had refinanced the loans on Mijac, which would be paid off, it added: “Mijac and Michael’s masters [the master rights] remain secure for the benefit of Michael’s children for years to come.”

Billboard estimated in 2010 that the singer’s estate had generated more than $1bn in revenues in the year after his death from the sale of about 9m albums, box office, DVD and television income from the concert film, This Is It, and other sources such as merchandising.

The Mijac deal comes before September’s planned 25th anniversary re-release of Bad, his 1987 album. Promotional activities for the anniversary include a deal with Pepsi, which will put silhouettes of the star on a billion cans in 20 countries.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/cd17cf64-eadc-11e1-afbb-00144feab49a.html

Good move by the estate! Now instead of Warner keeping 100% administration fees from MiJac, estate will get back 50% of those fees as co-owner of Sony/ATV.

Sounds like yet another great buisness move from the estate!

Great!

So they estate still owns Michael's catalogue and 50% of Sony/ATV right? Now that his catalogue is in there the estate will get more money because of his partnership, am I understanding this right?

Artists cannot spend all the time giving permissions to people use the songs and go around collecting royalties etc. So they give the management - not ownership to publishing companies. Publishing companies provide these services and get a fee for the job they do.

Estate will get more money because their costs is reducing. For example if they had a 50-50 deal with Warner, MJ Estate would get 50 and Warner would get 50. Even if the same 50-50 deal is done with Sony/ ATV, Sony would get 25 and MJ Estate would get 50 + 25. As the 50 get Sony/ATV gets will be divided among Sony and MJ Estate.

I bet Steven Randall's big head is about to explode

My thoughts exactly. Randy is probably sitting back in a chair somewhere asking himself.."HOW am I gonna get my hands on this money". I don't put anything past any of them anymore....especially waterhead Randy.

Last edited:
This is a great development and will ensure the MJ Estate make more money out of MJ's catalogue than before. Perfect.

Also, I didn't realise than Sony/ATV now owns or administers over 2million(!) copyrights. I remember when it was 'only' about 750,000, but that was before they bought Famous Music etc.
Both are some crazy numbers, I mean who can have an overview over that kind of number? Who would be able to know all of those songs? How are they sure they can controle such a high number of songs, so that noone is profiting from illegal use of these songs?

Thanks very much for clearing that up.

So great deal by The Estate!

The Michael Jackson music catalog, known as MiJac, has been moved to Sony-ATV from Warner Chappell. In layman’s terms: this is a blow to Warner Music and a major win for Sony. Even though MiJac was heavily leveraged for years, I’m told the loan from HSBC is down to around $4 million. The Michael Jackson estate still owes just under $300 million to Bank of America on separate loans Michael took against his ownership in Sony-ATV Music Publishing.

What’s happened now is that Jackson’s long contract with Warner Chappell, the publishing division of Warner Music Group, expired last December. Sony-ATV, in which he has a 50% ownership interest, had the right to match or better any offer when MiJac’s deal with WMG was done. The deal was actually completed a couple of months ago, I’m told. But with all the brouhaha concerning Katherine Jackson and the Jackson siblings demand to oust Michael’s executors, an announcement was put off.

Now all of Michael Jackson’s music publishing will be in one place: Sony-ATV. MiJac holds all of his songs like “Billie Jean” and “Beat It” plus hundreds of other publishing copyrights including everything by Sly Stone. It’s a plum win for Sony and a devastating loss for Warner Music. Warner Chappell was the only part of that company still doing well. To lose MiJac, especially since Jackson’s death and the renewed interest in his music, is a heavy setback. It’s unclear whether that was explained to Len Blavatnik and his Access Industries group when they bought WMG from Edgar Bronfman Jr last year.

Meantime: it’s been underlined that now neither MiJac nor Sony-ATV or the Beatles catalog, is for sale. The Jackson estate has done an excellent job of paying down the various loans and renegotiating the interest rates in more favorable terms.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/08/20/michael-jackson-estate-deals-blow-to-warner-music

I really like how they are making Michael's estate strong. Taking care of the debt, taking care of Katherine and the kids and fighting for Michael's rights. I can only imagine how hard their jobs must be to handling Michael's estate.

I really like how they are making Michael's estate strong. Taking care of the debt, taking care of Katherine and the kids and fighting for Michael's rights. I can only imagine how hard their jobs must be to handling Michael's estate.

Agreed! - I think they are doing a wonderful job!

I’m told the loan from HSBC is down to around $4 million. The Michael Jackson estate still owes just under $300 million to Bank of America on separate loans Michael took against his ownership in Sony-ATV Music Publishing.
http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/08/20/michael-jackson-estate-deals-blow-to-warner-music
This. Mijac loan almost paid off. Sony/ATV loan barely paid yet and I think they probably just paid the per year interest so far. Hope the estate now can focus on clear out the loan against sony/atv.

Back