Michael Jackson--Just An 80's Pop Star?

LovelyOne

Proud Member
Every time I see an article or a news story/report on Michael Jackson lately, I always hear him being associated with the 80's and nothing else. He's always referred to as the "biggest pop star of the 80's", or some other form of that same phrase (he's the biggest pop star EVER if you ask me!).

I feel like Michael is being marginalized into a decade by people, and I don't like it!

Michael has had an incredible musical career, from the 60's & 70's with his brothers, all the way to the 2000's!

Look, I know that the 80's is when Michael made his BIG BOOM and had a HUGE impact on the world, but I just feel like his 60's (well except for on Christmas when everyone goes to buy the Jackson 5 Christmas album), & 70's (i.e., Off The Wall) work is forgotten, while his work in the 90's (as well as invincible later in the 2000's) is underrated, and tossed to the side..."not as good as Thriller". He has made some of his greatest songs after Thriller, and was still huge during the Dangerous and History era (and Bad in the late 80's), touring the world, and MJmania was everywhere (like it's emerging today--though not as nuts!)

Michael is not just some 80's pop star. He's so much bigger than that. He has continued to have great impact on the world, long after Thriller.

What'dya think?

Last edited:
neither Michael, Prince or Madonna are just 80's pop stars

but .. Michael was the biggest artist of the 80's and still is today...

and I hope we don't make this into another thread bashing ...too much negavity..

we fans should be saving our pennies..and dusting off our "sunday best".. because..
things are about to go down.. and we need to be ready.. to roll... instead of arguing over things...

get ready!

and I hope we don't make this into another thread bashing ...too much negavity..

we fans should be saving our pennies..and dusting off our "sunday best".. because..
things are about to go down.. and we need to be ready.. to roll... instead of arguing over things...

get ready!

I agree 100% on that. Mike truly was THE EIGHTIES though he has had an amazing career overall and no one's disputing that. Even the haters.

I know what you mean, I can get frustrated when people only look at the Thriller era and act like that's the only time he was really popular, completely ignoring the J5 years and everything he's done after Thriller, even though personally, I think Bad and Dangerous are better than Thriller, and Dangerous is one of the best albums ever made. We should just consider ourselves lucky that we appreciate Michael's genius, and realize that some people never will. :) As long as the media isn't slamming him like they usually are, then I am pretty happy with anything they write.

Last edited:
they're just trying to re-write history..

Michael is the ONLY artist to have number 1 hit albums in the 70's/80's/90's/00's.. the LONGEST sucessfull career in years in a row EVER..

Last edited:
i´m not sure if people think i he represent the 90´s and 00 even if he sold most albums. I think it is becase of the media. they dont care how much he sells if it goes well.

Nah, he represented an era during that period. People would only focus when an artist became an icon. They do that with Marvin Gaye (What's Going On), Diana Ross (The Supremes, Lady Sings the Blues), Elvis Presley (the mid-fifties), Stevie Wonder (his whole career has lasted 50 years about and they only focus on his seventies period, which was arguably his greatest period: 1972-1976), and others. Truly Mike's not the only one whose career has been overlooked for one big period in their careers.

Nah, he represented an era during that period. People would only focus when an artist became an icon. They do that with Marvin Gaye (What's Going On), Diana Ross (The Supremes, Lady Sings the Blues), Elvis Presley (the mid-fifties), Stevie Wonder (his whole career has lasted 50 years about and they only focus on his seventies period, which was arguably his greatest period: 1972-1976), and others. Truly Mike's not the only one whose career has been overlooked for one big period in their careers.

very true...but again..I think thriller and bad was more "icon" album. and the rest of his albums are more for the fans. (how are many)

get ready!

I second that..! Giggles

Heal The World~~~

Yeah I hate when I read or hear someone say that Michael Jackson was just a pop star in the 80's. That really gets to me because it's not true what so ever. I don't know how many ignorant fools have this in mind. :mello: Michael has been entertaining for 4 decades which are the 70's/80's/90's and 00's. Michael has had a successful career in not only as a lead singer for a group but a very successful career in his solo career. You don't see much of that happening to many entertainers these days. Michael is truly one of a kind in the buisness because of his success and the years he has been in it.

If someone is associating Michael Jackson as only a 'popstar' and only to the 80s than they're just expressing their 'non'knowledge and/or ignorance about the music history and business! lol

Last edited:
they're just trying to re-write history..

Michael is the ONLY artist to have number 1 hit albums in the 70's/80's/90's/00's.. the LONGEST sucessfull career in years in a row EVER..

Not to nitpick, but Jackson did not have any number one albums in the 70's. No Jackson Five album reached number one on Billboard's Pop Albums Chart. No Jackson solo album reached the top of the charts either. (Off the Wall, which was released in 1979, only peaked at #3 on the Billboard Pop Albums Chart).

However, The Jackson Five had 4 number one singles during the 70's and Jackson had 2 additional solo number one singles in the 70's. So he did reach number one in the 70's in singles, but not albums.

I know it bothers me when people do that too...I think some people discriminate him because of the way he looked in the 90's...anyone that really knows music can see how great and diverse Dangerous and History is........people need to stop sleeping on him in the 80's the albums were more about making people dance I guess some people like that better......some people don't seem to know about gems like SIM,TDCAU,JAM etc....

I personally feel that the reason why a lot of folks catagorize Michael as being an '80's Pop Star,' is simply for the fact that many of the reporters of today, were not even born until the late 1960's and early '70's. I'm sure that if you get an individual who was born during the late 40's or early 50's, their out-look on Michael would be significantly different. They would have during the height of the Jackson 5's fame, been there to see it for themselves.

So, for someone who has see the 60's they would comment on the success of the Jackson's during the early mid 1970's. For those of us who were born in the early mid 1970's, we often remenese (sp) and celebrate his success of the 80's, and so on.

One thing to be certain of though, legends last forever, and all the Jackson's have made their mark in music, to outlast ANY artist in history. :wub:^_^

because in one sense thriller was the worst thing that happened to mj. it put everything else he ever did in its shadow.

I think your being paranoid cause I’ve never heard such a reference before. If you saw this reference once, maybe twice why get all worked up about it for? Michael Jackson is the biggest selling artist ever that’s all you have to remember and just laugh it off

Last edited:
I know what you mean, I can get frustrated when people only look at the Thriller era and act like that's the only time he was really popular, completely ignoring the J5 years and everything he's done after Thriller, even though personally, I think Bad and Dangerous are better than Thriller, and Dangerous is one of the best albums ever made. We should just consider ourselves lucky that we appreciate Michael's genius, and realize that some people never will. :) As long as the media isn't slamming him like they usually are, then I am pretty happy with anything they write.
This is really frustrating man. The media knows they can't ignore his musical genius, talent and everything, so they tried to acknowledge them by setting a 'time limit' to it and force everyone to believe he's only great during Thriller days.

Last edited:
What i hate is that the media always calls Michael Jackson an 80's star but they never call The Beatles 60's stars.

Its just tabloids , see when michael will come back they will send him "tons of flowers" , and call him the best , the king , the biggest etc....

Thats what happen each time , fro exemple for the NRJ music awards , the presentator who use tobe a basher called him all sort of big name : the best of all time , the King , " oh i am so proud to introduce him '..."the world biggest something " ect...blah blah ..

Wait when michael will come back things will change dont worry about those articles , its only tabloids .

get ready!

hehe I agree everything you've said, and the bolded. :D

I think your being paranoid cause I’ve never heard such a reference before. If you saw this reference once, maybe twice why get all worked up about it for? Michael Jackson is the biggest selling artist ever that’s all you have to remember and just laugh it off

i suppose tabloids will be tabloids
MJ is the biggest star of all time
we know that
they dont know what theyare talking about
HATERS!

Can't add anything else, you've said it all.

It's just the media trying to categorize Michael and make him fit in as they always have.

They try to undermine the amazing work he's done through 4 decades so they don't have to be forced into admitting he's the s**t!

Can't add anything else, you've said it all.

It's just the media trying to categorize Michael and make him fit in as they always have.

They try to undermine the amazing work he's done through 4 decades so they don't have to be forced into admitting he's the s**t!

...X-actly!

he's the only artist to have a number one in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s consecutively...so i dont think that makes him just an"80s pop star"...bulshit

If MJ is just a 80's pop star, then Elvis was just a 50's rock star, the Beatles was just a 60's rock band.

Back