Michael Jackson clothing and costumes will be exhibited globally before hitting auction block

Bubs

Proud Member
Michael Jackson clothing and costumes will be exhibited globally before hitting auction block

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Michael Jackson's glittery gloves, spangled jackets, stage-worn costumes and personal fashion effects are going on a world tour.

Celebrity auctioneer Darren Julien says clothing created by Jackson's longtime costume designers will be exhibited in South America, Europe and Asia before being sold to the highest bidder in December.

The exhibit opens May 18 at the Museo de la Moda in Santiago, Chile. It features items such as Jackson's Captain EO shirt, the black spandex outfit from his "Scream" video and the breakaway suit he wore during his BAD tour in the late 1980s.

The items will be sold by Julien's Auction on December 2, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting Guide Dogs of America and Nathan Adelson Hospice in Las Vegas.

Online:

www.juliensauctions.com

www.museodelamoda.com

http://www.ky3.com/news/sns-bc-us--jacksoncostumeexhibit,0,3876152.story

Link to Julien's Icons and Idols - Tompkins and Bush Catalog

http://www.juliensauctions.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100

I don't understand.. MJ paid these two to create his clothes, but he didn't own any of these pieces.

Makes no sense to me that Thompkins & co are selling MJ's clothes. The estate should look into their contract with MJ.

I find it hard to believe that MJ wanted to open a museum, yet most of the important pieces he didn't own.

Anything for money.

ETA: All I wanna know if who really own these pieces. If they were hired & paid by MJ to design these clothes, they can't logically own them. SMDH. This is beyond annoying at this point. We need to get in touch with estate to clear this up.

They sold his Thriller jacket last year & God knows what else they've sold anonymously.

Last edited:
Who would expect that Bush will make so much $$$ ...

Memefan;3638167 said:
I don't understand.. MJ paid these two to create his clothes, but he didn't own any of these pieces.

Makes no sense to me that Thompkins & co are selling MJ's clothes. The estate should look into their contract with MJ.

I find it hard to believe that MJ wanted to open a museum, yet most of the important pieces he didn't own.

Anything for money.

ETA: All I wanna know if who really own these pieces. If they were hired & paid by MJ to design these clothes, they can't logically own them. SMDH. This is beyond annoying at this point. We need to get in touch with estate to clear this up.

They sold his Thriller jacket last year & God knows what else they've sold anonymously.

I was wondering the same thing! When Michael asked them to make his costumes, would he not be the owner of them?
If I go and buy a dress from designer, I would be the owner not the designer..
Then again, they could be duplicate costumes, as this is what they said earlier:
They try to get to sleep by 9 p.m., but sometimes they’re up till 11. “And we photograph everything. That, we learned out of fear because we would make something for Michael and he would call us later to ask for a double. Maybe an outfit goes to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland or Madame Tussaud’s in London, and he wants one to keep for himself.”

About Thriller jacket, I think the estate has one of the original's (if I remember correctly?)

Last edited:
Why so negative? Let's quote the last line: "The items will be sold by Julien's Auction on December 2, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting Guide Dogs of America and Nathan Adelson Hospice in Las Vegas."

Anyways, I guess this will be something like they did with 'The Official MJ Exhibition' at the O2 in London from a while ago.
Sounds pretty awesome! :)

I sure they do own them. At least the ones they are in possession of. We dont know the particulars of thier deal with Michael in reguards to his clothing and costumes. If they didnt Im sure the Estate would make a claim. They have not. In facts the Estate exhibited many of these outfits at Fanfest. Michael had more than One costume made, like BAD Jacket one was for display one was light weight for stage. They worked hard for MJ all their life. They didnt charge MJ for much of thier services they provided to him including dressing MJ every day for court. They were his friends and associates. I think Michael Bush and Dennis Tomkins served the King well. The clothes will end up in a museum instead of hidden away in a closet and the proceeds will also go to a Good cause. I wonder if the Hospice chosen was the one that cared for Deniis Tompkins in his last days.

On their interview about the Autry display ..
Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush fondly recall, "Michael Jackson's request, with everything we made for him, was always the same . . . " this has to be museum-quality. This needs to be able to be displayed in a museum"

I have to say that I wish that Estate bought the clothes, rather than they are being auctioned and going to separate collectors all around the world.

I sure they do own them. At least the ones they are in possession of. We dont know the particulars of thier deal with Michael in reguards to his clothing and costumes. If they didnt Im sure the Estate would make a claim. They have not. In facts the Estate exhibited many of these outfits at Fanfest. Michael had more than One costume made, like BAD Jacket one was for display one was light weight for stage. They worked hard for MJ all their life. They didnt charge MJ for much of thier services they provided to him including dressing MJ every day for court. They were his friends and associates. I think Michael Bush and Dennis Tomkins served the King well. The clothes will end up in a museum instead of hidden away in a closet and the proceeds will also go to a Good cause. I wonder if the Hospice chosen was the one that cared for Deniis Tompkins in his last days.

On their interview about the Autry display ..
Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush fondly recall, "Michael Jackson's request, with everything we made for him, was always the same . . . " this has to be museum-quality. This needs to be able to be displayed in a museum"

Source?

When I saw this on yahoo, my initial thought was not again :(

I totally agree with you Ivy, it just makes me sad that a piece of MJ history might be lost on us forever. If these belonged to Bush/Tompkins, I wonder if they're doubles? Michael did have several of one costume, espcially stage outfits. I hope that's the case here, at least for some if not all.

^^ I agree. I wish estate would buy and have possesion of all Michael's costumes and wardrobe.

I wish estate would buy and have possesion of all Michael's costumes and wardrobe.
I wish so too.

But personally I rather see it being put on display and after that being auctioned with benefits going to charity, like they do now, than having it quietly getting sold like they've done with many of his iconic stuff before. Unfortunately I can't really imagine them setting up a non-temporary museum kind of thing. People probably don't have enough interest in that. Even tho' it would ofcourse be totally cool for us. Bummer.

Seemingly Michael paid his outfits individually so I cannot figure out why they are the owners of costumes, other than they have made more than one outfit of the same costume.

How Michael paid his costumes is mentioned in this interview with designers
http://articles.latimes.com/2005/may/24/entertainment/et-tailors24

I agree with Ivy, it would be nice if the estate has costumes so someday they could be displayed in Michael Jackson museum.
(at least the most iconic outfits)

I wish so too.

But personally I rather see it being put on display and after that being auctioned with benefits going to charity, like they do now, than having it quietly getting sold like they've done with many of his iconic stuff before. Unfortunately I can't really imagine them setting up a non-temporary museum kind of thing. People probably don't have enough interest in that. Even tho' it would ofcourse be totally cool for us. Bummer.

Why not? Michael's carolwood drive home was the #1 celebrity tourist site in HollyWood last year, and the Immortal World Tour is the #1 grossing tour at the moment. I don't see how a permanent museum of some scale won't generate public interest. Elvis' Graceland mansion has been doing it for decades, it's hard to believe a Michael museum wouldn't achieve the same.

Yes just like the Frank Casico book a portion of the proceed goes to charity. Its a kind gesture on their part.
I have nothing againt M. Bush making a profit from his life long work with Michael. He served him well from
Captain eo all the way up to TII. Michael called on him to design and dress him and even help on stage with
the costume changes. He was even called on to dress MJ for his private funeral service :( I respect Michael Bush.

Im really looking forward to his book too. Seems he is supported by MJ Estate.
Dressing Michael Jackson: Behind the Seams of a Fashion Icon
Michael Bush (Author), John Branca (Foreword)

Reactions: Bee
It's a damn shame.
These jackets belong to a museum, where we could walk, seeing these jackets behind glass, seeing the master clothing.
Part of the entry price/fee could go to charity.
That would be a win-win situation.
I don't like the idea that Michael's clothing is separated everywhere on the globe.
But we all know, it's all about the money!

I can understand some being unhappy about what seems to be "everything MJ"....is being sold...it kind of makes me myself feel as though Michael is being "sold off"...piece by piece ..garment by garment...and that is hard for some of us to take. We had to say good by to Michael and by seeing his things/costumes sold to it is as though I am having to say goodbye to more of MJ. Its not easy. I know he doesn't need them anymore...but..it would be nice to see them displayed forever in a museum...OR if they do have to be sold...then a charity of HIS choice should get the donations...the Estate knows which ones he would donate too...so I would be happy seeing one of them benefit from the sale.

Seems they did make doubles and even triple of MJ's stage costumes and wardrobe to be put on display in various places.

They are the men behind the Man in the Mirror. For nearly 20 years, L.A.-based costume designers Michael Bush and Dennis Tompkins have quietly designed most of Michael Jackson’s personal and concert tour wardrobes, tens of thousands of pieces.

They created the war-torn black shirt and pants he wore in the “Man in the Mirror” video and the rhinestone-encrusted American flag jacket he wore during a Washington, D.C., concert to support the victims of Sept. 11. And, since February, they have been outfitting Jackson for what could be his most important performance yet — in a Santa Maria courtroom.

Each day, Bush wakes at 3 a.m. to drive the day’s outfit — typically a colorful print vest and a suit with military details — from his home studio in Los Feliz up the 101 Freeway to Neverland Ranch. There, between 6 and 7 a.m., he dresses Jackson, who always says “Thank you” and gives him a hug, Bush says. The designer returns by midafternoon, in time to help Tompkins put the finishing touches on the next day’s look. Tompkins makes most of Jackson’s costumes with a single fitting. The pair create his courtroom wardrobe using the “Michael mannequin,” built to the singer’s exact dimensions.

Perhaps what they are most proud of is that Jackson has never worn the same thing twice.
“We have two or three tailors around town making jackets because we can’t make them fast enough,” Bush says, sitting in his workroom next to a pair of Jackson’s crystal-covered ankle boots.

They try to get to sleep by 9 p.m., but sometimes they’re up till 11. “And we photograph everything. That, we learned out of fear because we would make something for Michael and he would call us later to ask for a double. Maybe an outfit goes to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland or Madame Tussaud’s in London, and he wants one to keep for himself.”

Jackson, who is facing charges , has been criticized in this paper and elsewhere for his flamboyant courtroom attire — reactions the designers say are unfair. “If anybody else wore it, there wouldn’t be any comment,” says the silver-haired Tompkins.
http://www.legendarymichaeljackson.nl/?p=7132

I have to say that I wish that Estate bought the clothes, rather than they are being auctioned and going to separate collectors all around the world.

I wish this was happening too...but it occurred to me that it might be? In order to set a 'fair open market' value on these unique items, I guess an open auction is the place to do it. I do know (from past auctions) that some of the bidders have seemingly bottomless pockets. I'd like to think that the Estate might have representatives among these bidders. If nothing else, it would seem to make financial sense, as these items attract a paying audience wherever they go, ie at exhibitions, fanfests and the like. And they still retain their market value . As someone said, it would be a win-win situation, if the Estate bought at least some of the main pieces.

And some of the 'investment' bidders do display them too, eg the exhibition in Macao.

Soooooo happy this is going on tour and the Bush book will finally come!
Cant wait to read the book and the auction catalogue and see all the pics and hopefully stories about how the outfits were designed...

Why not? Michael's carolwood drive home was the #1 celebrity tourist site in HollyWood last year, and the Immortal World Tour is the #1 grossing tour at the moment. I don't see how a permanent museum of some scale won't generate public interest. Elvis' Graceland mansion has been doing it for decades, it's hard to believe a Michael museum wouldn't achieve the same.

Exactly what you say - if they had made a Graceland type of thing for Michael it would've worked without doubt. Big, a lot of things to see, one place for everything. But not like this as in having just a few of his outfits in a museum somewhere. I think that would've only worked if there was more to see for the general public. That's why I think the way they do it now instead isn't so bad.

But don't get me wrong, I'm VERY happy with all the things like Immortal and such tho'. :)

Why isn't there a date in the US, like Las Vegas. I would surely like to go see them. Sometimes I wonder what became of the clothes Michael had in his house. Did the kids get to keep some of his items? He had so many jackets; did his family bundle up all his clothing and give them away.

This situation with his clothes is very puzzling. Even if he had duplicates made, where are the ones he wore during a concert? When he took them off his back, did Bush pick them up and put them away in his vault? Shouldn't they be at Michael's home or storage, and if so, wouldn't he be the owner?

I saw some of his clothing at the Grammy Museum in LA, but then, that was only a handfull of his clothing. What is going to happen is that, if the estate wants to have a museum, they would have to spend millions on buying some of his items back. I only hope they own some pieces in case they open a tiny museum somewhere.

Last edited:
Yes just like the Frank Casico book a portion of the proceed goes to charity. Its a kind gesture on their part.
I have nothing againt M. Bush making a profit from his life long work with Michael. He served him well from
Captain eo all the way up to TII. Michael called on him to design and dress him and even help on stage with
the costume changes. He was even called on to dress MJ for his private funeral service :( I respect Michael Bush.

Im really looking forward to his book too. Seems he is supported by MJ Estate.
Dressing Michael Jackson: Behind the Seams of a Fashion Icon
Michael Bush (Author), John Branca (Foreword)

MJ paid him for his work. He doesn't automatically own all the pieces he created. MJ wasn't a charity case... Bush & Tompkins weren't doing charity work. They were paid... Now we need to understand how they came into possession / owning all these important pieces when MJ (according to Taj) was thinking of opening a museum.

We do not know whether or not Bush owned these pieces. He needs to come out & show the estate that MJ had indeed gifted them to
him.

Knowing Bush & Tompkins had all these pieces in their possession, one can now understand why the Fanfest was so poor in memorable costumes.

**waiting**

Look like they are going to make a lot of money from all of this.

Juliens also have a book (catalog) regarding this auction

Icons and Idols - Tompkins and Bush Catalog
Price:$75.00
Icons and Idols - Tompkins and Bush Catalog

The fully-illustrated, color catalog is a must-have for a Michael Jackson, pop culture and fashion enthusiasts. The sale catalog will feature the complete collection of Michael Jackson wardrobe items from Jackson's clothing designers of over 25 years, Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush.

This limited edition catalog is a perfect companion to the upcoming book by Michael Bush, Dressing Michael Jackson: Behind the Seams of a Fashion Icon, which will be published by Insight Editions and available October 16, 2012.

Many of the items featured in this book will be included in the auction with a portion of the proceeds benefiting Nathan Adelson Hospice in Las Vegas and Guide Dogs of America in Los Angeles.

The assembled items, from The Collection of Tompkins and Bush, illustrate the decades of influence Jackson had on modern fashion.

Within the catalog are dozens of costumes and personal fashion effects designed by Tompkins and Bush, including: Jackson's right-handed crystal covered glove created by the designers; a jacket from his personal wardrobe that he wore on several outings with Lisa Marie Presley; a breakaway suit from Jackson's BAD Tour (Australian leg) along with a Tompkins and Bush designed jacket signed by Michael Jackson which the musician was seen wearing at an event; and a Naval officer's hat by Bancroft Military Caps, signed in silver marker "Love Michael Jackson" on the top of the hat and worn by Jackson during his 1987-1989 BAD tour.

The coffee-table style catalog is a beautiful addition to the library of the fashionista, the Michael Jackson fan or the pop culture devotee.

This is the first and last time these items will be assembled at auction, and the best time to ensure you get your copy of this very special limited-edition catalog.
Note: printed catalogs will not be mailed until October 1st, 2012​

http://www.juliensauctions.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100

Back