Michael Jackson - An American Tragedy???

I don't think she meant it in a way that was insulting. I don't think she was calling MJ an 'American Tragedy' but what the media has done to him is a 'tragedy'. Its a classic case of people building him up right to the top only to try and knock him down.

I don't get any negativity toward MJ in what she said.

I think what happened to MJ was a tragedy as well. And if the story ended with MJ becoming a recluse, not continuing his career, it would remain so. BUT

the story is not over yet. And it looks like it might very well be one of triumph and courage. Yay! The complete and total acquittal was the first step, now we have T25.... next...? Can't wait to find out! :)

Last edited:
Rashida Jones said "... look at what *we* have done to him" -- not "... look at what *he* has done to himself"

Under "we" she probably means society, media, et cetera. So in the quote there is no "malice" from Jones seen.

Of course, placing the name of Jackson in the same line as Spears make readers confuse it and perceive as if Jackson and Spears are stories of the same kind. It is not known if Jones wanted to imply that or not; she could only mean that in both cases society and mass media harmed both of those people -- Michael and Britney, not meaning that those two both made tragedy of themselves and thus are similar.

I agree with what others have said - the statement is not meant to be insulting to Michael. What she said comes across as slightly awkward at first, but I think her good intentions are clear.

Before Michael Jackson the media did not distroy careers on purpose as they did try to with MJ.. NOW after MJ was found not guilty.. They have been trying to dig up as much interest with other celebs, bringing them down when they are all ready having hard times as it is.. But the thing is, now when they make SEVERAL celebs seem crazy. Michael is not so 'abnornal' anymore.

People have learned to take this news as it passes.. YES they hunger and fallow it like a dumb pack of wolfs but, they see it all the time.. They become more desensitized. So when they pull out MJ lies etc. It does not have AS MUCH of an impact as it used to..

I was quite shocked by how the media treated Britney and it did remind me somewhat of how they treat Michael - the same kind of dehumanization seems to be taking root with regards to other celebrities. I find this deeply disturbing and I really hope the way Michael is treated doesn't become more and more the norm.

I agree with what others have said - the statement is not meant to be insulting to Michael. What she said comes across as slightly awkward at first, but I think her good intentions are clear.

I was quite shocked by how the media treated Britney and it did remind me somewhat of how they treat Michael - the same kind of dehumanization seems to be taking root with regards to other celebrities. I find this deeply disturbing and I really hope the way Michael is treated doesn't become more and more the norm.
It started with Michael, but Michael has a support system to back him up. For instance, at the time of the arrest, his support system rushed into action to give comfort and assistance, They even held a get together at his home to show support and comfort, This includes friends tha he has known since childhood, many of them very reputable and dignified, also his large family and loyal fans, as well as the churches. This is what keeps Michael sane, not forgetting his strong and deep faith in god. Without this type of support mechanism, nobody could have gone through what he has been through and come out sane. As we have seen with BS, she ended up in a hospital.:)

I understand that some people might view Michael as a tragic figure, considering how unfairly he has been treated by the media, and brought down just for the heck of it. Some people just have to knock down the tall poppy. But aren't they the tragic ones really--they are so pathetic that another man's success threatens them and they have to try to destroy him to make themselves feel better?

Well I think that Michael is a hero and not a tragedy. My daughter took a Classical Studies class last year, and one of the plays she studied was "The Odyssey". She was so enthralled by this story that I began to take an interest in it too. As I followed the story of Odysseus' heroic journey, battling monsters and seductions, I kept seeing similarities between his story and that of Michael Jackson. I ended up writing a long essay that points out the parallels between the two men's journeys, showing that Michael, like Odysseus, is a hero who has overcome formidable obstacles to achieve his goals.

I spoke to my daughter's teacher about my essay and she told me that she has written her master's thesis, many years ago, on the topic of tragic heros and had referred extensively to Michael Jackson's life as an example of a tragic hero. I argued with her that she had judged his outcome way too early in his journey and that she ought to revisit his life and consider how he has overcome and proven himself a true hero--one who inspires courage in others.

My essay is very long (over 4,800 words) but I have always wanted to post it on the forum. There may be very few who would be interested enough to read it, but I certainly enjoyed writing it. Perhaps this is the opportunity to present my essay, however, if the mods think that it is inappropriate or too long, please feel free to delete it. It may be more appropriate in a blog somewhere but I have never used that option. (I'll have to split it in sections to fit in here...)

The Michael Jackson Odyssey
~Dimity K~
August 1, 2007

As we travel through life, each one of us follows a heroic journey. My journey, one recent Sunday morning, was rather ordinary, apart from the mist that filled the valleys of the Adelaide Hills, and the koala that I spied perched up in a eucalyptus tree by the rail tracks. While the train trundled along, rocking me gently with it’s predictable rhythm, I listened to the more exciting rhythms of Michael Jackson on my i-pod. When we passed by the thickly forested Blackwood Reserve, I recalled images from a movie that I had watched with my family the day before. It was the story of Odysseus—a depiction of the epic poem by Homer—“The Odyssey”. Michael’s voice broke often into my thoughts and before long I found myself considering the epic journey that this remarkable artist had made throughout his forty-two year career. Like the Greek warrior, Michael established himself at an early age as king of his domain. He has conquered the world with his music and dance, and he has fought long and hard to maintain his rightful title. Along the way he has encountered much opposition and many obstacles. He has faced his nemesis and survived the ordeal. It remains to be seen whether he will rise again to dominate the music world, but for many he will always remain the King of Pop.

For as a long as human beings have told stories they have inspired their listeners and readers with accounts of the heroic deeds of mere mortals—both fictional and real—who have struggled to overcome life’s challenges. “The Odyssey” follows a classic pattern of story telling that reflects the journey of humanity. That is why the “heroic journey” and great stories in general are so treasured by society and revered as art. They validate us. They inspire us to continue our own journey. Michael Jackson’s life is no less remarkable than that of the fictional Odysseus—more remarkable in fact, because it is real, and because we have watched the drama of his life played out before our very eyes. The more I thought about it, the more parallels I could see between the “The Odyssey” and the story of Michael’s life. The following is my account of the “Michael Jackson Odyssey”.

For any readers who are not already familiar with the epic poem, I will start by summarizing “The Odyssey”. Odysseus was the king of a Greek island, Ithaca. He was married to Penelope who bore him a son—Telemachus. Soon after Telemachus’ birth Odysseus was asked to join other Greek kings in a war against the walled city of Troy in order to rescue Helen, the wife of the Spartan king, Menelaus. Helen had been abducted by the Trojan prince, Paris, and was taken to be his bride. After ten years of battle the Greek armies had not been able to penetrate the Trojan city, until Odysseus came up with the idea of the Trojan Horse—a supposed gift, though filled with soldiers who would gain access to the city and lead to its downfall. Odysseus was celebrated as a great and particularly clever warrior. After the war he left Troy and began his journey home, but was waylaid by many challenges and distractions, including monsters, shipwrecks and seductions. It took another ten years before he finally returned to Ithaca where, with the help of his grown son, he had to overcome a hoard of suitors who were trying to woo his wife and take over his role as king. Finally, through his many trials, Odysseus overcame his own weaknesses, defeated all of his enemies and was reinstated as king of his homeland.

“The Odyssey” does not follow the sequential order of events. It actually commences near the end of Odysseus’ journey, as his twenty one-year old son sets out to find him or at least to confirm whether or not his father is dead. The first we see of Odysseus is just before his penultimate challenge. As he recovers from that challenge he then recalls the events of his twenty-year journey, and thus we discover the history of his life. In compliance with the original epic, I’m going to approach the parallels between Michael and Odysseus in the order presented in the poem. Many of the parallels will be symbolic and may have more than one possible comparison. I make no claim of being an expert on either Michael Jackson or “The Odyssey”.

Before we commence Michael’s heroic journey, let’s take a look at the main characters and the lead up to the story. I find myself wondering whether Michael Jackson even needs an introduction. Surely he is one of the best-known celebrities on the planet. African American by race, Michael was born in the USA in1958, the seventh of nine children. He first performed publicly at his kindergarten when he was five years old, later joining his four older brothers to form a band “The Jackson 5” in 1965. Under the direction of their strict and demanding father, they worked conscientiously to achieve their dream of musical success. By the time Michael was eleven years old he had already produced four number one consecutive hits and the Jackson 5 had risen to phenomenal fame, worldwide.

By thirteen years of age Michael had produced several solo hit singles. Although he continued to sing in his brothers’ bands, he rose to superstardom in the 1980s following the release of his solo albums “Off The Wall”, “Thriller” and “BAD”. “Thriller” remains the top selling album of all time, clearing over fifty million copies. Michael’s short film for “Thriller” stunned the music industry with its innovation, and spectacular dance scenes, raising the bar and forever influencing music film production. Michael went on to produce solo albums “Dangerous”, “HIStory”, “Blood On The Dance Floor—HIStory in the Mix” and “Invincible” —all highly successful albums, followed by a greatest hits album “Number Ones” and two box sets, “The Ultimate Collection” and “Visionary”. During his career he travelled the world several times over, touring and performing to record crowds, bringing spectacular entertainment to millions of people.

This may look like the whole story, but Michael’s achievements have not come unimpeded. Like Odysseus, he met many a peril along the path to fame and fortune. Odysseus’ journey took about twenty years. When I consider Michael’s heroic journey, I place its commencement at the beginning of the BAD tour when, apart from bringing his music to the world he also set out to make the world a better place through his philanthropic endeavours—supporting sick and disadvantaged children all over the world. Twenty years have passed since the commencement of the BAD tour. Perhaps soon, with the release of Michael’s next album, he will truly “return home” and reclaim the title that has always been his as king of his musical realm.

What happened before the BAD tour was equivalent to the setting up of Michael’s status as king of his domain, just as Odysseus became king of his island, Ithaca. Looking at the big picture of Michael’s life, the music world is his Ithaca. The public (his potential audience) is his wife, and his devoted fans are his child. Even Michael said in his interview with Martin Bashir that he is “married to [his] fans.” When Odysseus married Penelope, he carved his bed out of the roots of a great tree and then he built his house around that tree as a symbol of the strength of his love and faithfulness to his wife. This brings to mind a scene in the documentary “Living With Michael Jackson” where Michael showed Bashir his “Giving Tree.” Lithely climbing the tree, Michael explained that he was inspired to write many of his best selling songs whilst sitting in the branches of that tree.

Odysseus’ son, Telemachus, was born shortly before Odysseus left for the Trojan Wars. The “offspring” of Michael’s art was born not long before he set out upon his journey. I would compare Telemachus’ birth to the overwhelming response of adulation that was engendered in response to “Thriller”. A core of totally devoted fans was the “son” of that achievement, born out of Michael’s courtship and passionate engagement with the public (his wife) and his desire to please her through creating the best album of all time. Michael certainly was a potent lover, and “Thriller” set the world on fire. His fame spread far and wide and he was greatly admired for his achievements. Michael was the undisputed king of his domain—King of Pop, Rock and Soul. His heroic journey commenced after that birth, after his entry into stardom. For the next twenty years he would struggle, just as Odysseus did, to learn the lessons that he must learn, and to return to his Ithica, to his wife and child, and to reclaim his place as king.

And just as the suitors envied Odysseus and coveted his wife and his kingdom, so many in the music world and beyond envied Michael and coveted his success. When Odysseus disappeared after he left Troy (ten years into his journey) the suitors moved in on his territory, competing for Penelope’s attention, trying to seduce her into marrying them so that they could rule Ithaca and take over Odysseus’ possessions and status. The suitors insisted that Odysseus was dead, though there was no proof. Penelope and her son resisted the suitor’s approaches and loathed them for their greed and plundering. They loved Odysseus, believed in him and waited for his return, like Michael’s true fans wait for him to delight them again with his art.

Just as Odysseus played his part as a great warrior in the Trojan Wars, the first ten years of Michael’s journey (1987—1997) were spent conquering the music world with his solo albums and tours: “BAD” “Dangerous” “HIStory” “Blood on the Dance Floor”. Michael Jackson invaded the music world, forever making his mark in history. At the same time he strove to bring peace, love and joy to the underprivileged, visiting hospitals and giving millions of dollars in support of charities—a noble crusade. I would not be at all surprised if the names of Michael’s albums reflect the refining of his character as he has been honed and matured through the experiences of life. Certain epithets were used in “The Odyssey” to identify the character of Odysseus, such as “Nimble-witted Odysseus, Lion-hearted Odysseus, and God-like Odysseus—favourite of Zeus”—all characteristic that have been attributed to Michael’s nature by those who admire him: a musical genius with enormous courage and a God-fearing heart.

After an invocation to the muse of poetry, “The Odyssey” starts with Odysseus’ grown son, Telemachus, who is persuaded by the goddess of wisdom, Athena, to call a counsel of the elders and confront the one hundred suitors who have been pestering his mother. He wants them to stop plundering and to leave his mother alone until Odysseus’ death has been confirmed. The suitors refuse to cooperate and the elders do not help. As Telemachus sets off on a voyage to find his father the suitors plot to assassinate him on his return.

I compare Telemachus’ confrontation with the suitors as similar to the many times over the past six years in particular when Michael’s fans have rallied against Sony and against the media in support of him. The suitors are like the media parasites who want to exploit Michael, and those in the music industry who want to destroy him to make way for their own ambitions. They envy him and they conspire against him, harping on about his demise, his ruin, his bankruptcy, without any evidence that it is so—a propaganda campaign to achieve their own ends—to take over that which Michael has established and to gain control of his wealth and status. Michael’s loyal fans, like Telemachus and his mother refuse to believe the media’s lies and set out to prove over and again that Michael Jackson is still the King of Pop. And the fans are often the brunt of ridicule too for their loyalty—branded as fanatical, crazed cult worshipers, when often they are reasonably outraged at the injustices brought against their idol.

When Telemachus heads off on his journey and seeks consultation from his father’s friends and colleagues he is not encouraged. Although they speak highly of Odysseus, they are not hopeful of his survival, since they have not seen anything of him since he left Troy, and they assume that he is dead. I liken this to the fans constantly having to wade through media rumours and even forum-generated rumours about Michael’s life and work. Perhaps his publicist, Raymone Bayne is like the goddess Athena who helps Telemachus and Odysseus in the end to vanquish their enemies by supplying them with intelligence about what is going on amongst the suitors and by helping to disguise Odysseus so that he can secretly investigate who has been loyal to him and who has betrayed him. Or perhaps Raymone is more like Hermes, the messenger of the gods, delivering warnings to those who impede Odysseus’ passage, and thus helping him make his way home.

At this point in “The Odyssey” while Telemachus is searching for his father, the goddess, Calypso, is given a message from Zeus, via Hermes, to release Odysseus, since she has held him captive for seven years on her island. We’ll get back to Calypso later… Odysseus sets sail on a ship that he constructs but Poseidon is angry with him for blinding his son, the Cyclops, earlier in his travels, and so the sea god capsizes Odysseus’ boat, but spares his life. Odysseus is washed ashore and cared for by the Phaeacians who honour him and help him finally return home to Ithaca to face his enemies after his twenty-year journey. Poseidon, like all other Greek gods, was very human-like, fickle and sometimes unreasonable. He demanded his “pound of flesh” from the Greeks who were punished if they did not worship him and thus prove their piety. So please don’t be alarmed if I liken Thomas Sneddon, the now retired District Attorney of Santa Barbara, to Poseidon, as the man is hardly god-like, (though he may have felt he was worthy of such devotion). Just as Poseidon was a constant source of possible trouble for Odysseus (if Odysseus failed to appease him) so Sneddon became an on-going source of trouble for Michael Jackson, meddling in his affairs, pursuing a vendetta against the pop star and ever-ready to swamp him with child-molestation trials that would distract him from his journey. On the other hand, the gods, including Poseidon were also instrumental in molding Odysseus’ character as he overcame the obstacles that they placed before him. Sneddon too, may have been unwittingly instrumental in moulding Michael’s life through the suffering that he endured, making him even stronger.

It is at this point in the poem, when Odysseus is being cared for by the Phaeacians, that he recalls the story of his adventures over the previous ten years—the many life-threatening challenges that taught him the lessons that the gods intended. Michael’s entire life has been filled with challenges—especially as his early career deprived him of the normal joys and freedoms of childhood. I hope that one day he will write his story for us, but in the meantime his life is reflected in his art.

After the end of the Trojan War, Odysseus’ wanderings began when he and his crew raided the central city of the land of the Cicones, where they killed the men, enslaved the women and plundered riches. All I can say about the King of Pop’s prowess in battle is that during Michael’s musical tours he certainly knocked all other male singers right off the stage with his amazing performances (a total massacre), which certainly enslaved the hearts of many a young woman! He gathered his riches for sure, becoming one of wealthiest entertainers of his time. After the raid, Odysseus’ wanted to move on, but his men lingered too long enjoying their plunder, and were routed by a reserve force of Cicones. Michael has endured attacks from the very commencement of his journey. Even as early as the BAD tour he received flack from the media who branded him as “weird” with rumours that he slept in a hyperbaric chamber, lightened his skin on purpose (rather than suffering Vitiligo) and that he was a plastic surgery addict. Michael has been the “ tall poppy” that the media have delighted in cutting down.

Odysseus escaped Cicone by sea but was blown off course by an interfering Athena. Again, if Michael’s group of advisors and publicity managers equate to the somewhat fickle Athena, then it is true enough that they may have blown him off course from time to time and led him towards dangerous places in his career. After nine days at sea, Odysseus visited the land of the Lotus-eaters who were constantly high on drugs, causing them to become forgetful and lazy. I imagine that in Michael’s line of work there have been many possible opportunities to be seduced by the allure of drugs and other luxuries that might distract him from his goals, but like Odysseus, who managed to persuade his men to leave the Land of the Lotus-eaters before they were lured into oblivion, Michael also has managed to avoid the dissipating effects of self-indulgence. His phenomenal success is the product of his hard work.

Who could forget Odysseus’ next opponent—the Cyclops, a giant one-eyed cannibal who trapped him and his men in a cave? Perhaps Michael’s Cyclops was the Chandler family who certainly had their eye on only one thing—money—and who sought to trap Michael and destroy him with accusations of child molestation back in 1993. In response to the Chandler’s accusations Thomas Sneddon, the Santa Barbara District Attorney, instigated two grand jury investigations but did not find sufficient evidence to charge Michael. It is fitting that Poseidon was the Cyclops’ father, if we equate him with Sneddon, because the Chandler case certainly was Sneddon’s “baby” and he nurtured the monstrosity for ten years, until he replaced it with an even more terrible monster. We’ll meet that monster later in Michael’s journey.

After blinding the Cyclops, Odysseus pays a visit to Aeolus, the wind god, who seems to be a friendly fellow. Now who might Michael have encountered during his journey that was full of hot air? Well that could be the press in general, who are ever ready to ingratiate themselves to him in order to profit from his fame. Or it might be certain advisors or publicists, who have tried to contain the adverse winds of bad press but who were less than loyal when the going got tough. Aeolus bagged up all the adverse winds for Odysseus so that he was able to sail in sight of Ithaca, but while Odysseus slept his crew, suspecting that the bag held treasure, opened it, releasing a storm that threw them off course once again. How many times, I wonder, have the press or treacherous advisors betrayed Michael when their eyes were dazzled by dollars, allowing the troublesome winds of rumour and innuendo to blow his career off course? The worst of these advisors, perhaps, were those in Sony who persuaded Michael to settle the Chandler case instead of fighting to prove his innocence.

Next Odysseus reached Aeaea, home of the beautiful enchantress, Circe, who exemplifies the dark side of femininity. Who could this be but Michael’s first wife, Lisa Marie Presley. Any resemblance between Circe and Lisa Maria is purely coincidental, of course! Circe was a sorceress, with a cauldron, potions and magic wand. She had a habit of turning men into pigs, though she could not wield this power over Odysseus who was given a protective herb by Hermes. Circe was so impressed by Odysseus’ power to resist her magic, that she seduced him and kept him as her lover for a year, promising to release his men whom she had turned into wild animals. I shall let the reader draw his or her own parallels, should any come to mind... Though Circe was a goddess, she had found her equal in Odysseus, and she offered him immortality if he would stay with her, but he refused.

When Odysseus left Aeaea he sailed to the Land of the Dead, where he sacrificed offerings to the dead, on a rocky pinnacle where the River of Flaming Fire and the River of Lamentation met. I don’t know what Michael suffered as a consequence of his divorce from Lisa Marie, but I expect that it was a traumatic and challenging time for him. Michael’s children were born a few years later, and it appears from comments that he has made about their positive influence in his life that their presence brought him out of a dark time in his history—a time well represented by threatening flames and lamentation. In the Land of the Dead Odysseus conferred with the spirits of the dead, and received advice from the ghosts. Michael’s short film, “Ghosts”, was released at this time, thrilling his audience once again with images from the underworld.

As Odysseus continued on his journey he ventured deliberately past the Sirens—strange creatures (half bird, half woman) who sang an irresistible song—though he had been warned that their seductive song would lure him to his death. He was curious, however, and wanted to hear their song. He ordered his men to plug their ears and to tie him to the mast, and to not set him free no matter how he might plead. He listened to the sirens’ song and it was an exquisite torture, but he left their territory unscathed. I’m sure that Michael has heard many a seductive song from an irresistible siren in his life, but by all public accounts he has resisted the throngs of women who daily throw themselves in his path and has kept his reputation pure. It seems very unfair to me that a man of his high moral virtue has had his private life so brutally exposed to the entire world. But in the end all that his 2005 trial proved was his virtue! Not many a man could have come through such personal scrutiny with as clean a record as Michael Jackson.

Now, at this point in the story Odysseus survives an encounter with a horrible six-headed beast. Afterwards he spends seven years recovering on an island with the beautiful nymph, Calypso, after which Poseidon shipwrecks him before he returns home to face his final battle. Michael’s story seems to pan out in a somewhat different order, as at this point he marries his second wife, Debbie Rowe, who I compare to Calypso.

Odysseus found himself washed up on the shore of Calypso’s island-paradise, Ogygia, after Zeus destroyed his ship and crew. Calypso was a solitary goddess who had not seen a man for a long time when she rescued Odysseus and she loved him dearly. She pampered him and cared for him and although he conceded to be her lover, he spent his days weeping on the shore, yearning for his true love—his beloved wife, Penelope. Calypso was the “nymph with the lovely locks” who sang with a beautiful voice, representing the light side of femininity, though throughout the whole of “The Odyssey” men were warned that even the fairest of females were not to be trusted. Hmmm. Perhaps Homer was a misogynist.

Whilst Odysseus’ other lover, Circe, had taken advantage of many men for her pleasure, Calypso had lived an untouched, inaccessible, separate life. Calypso was ridiculed by the male gods for having a mortal as her lover, though she argued in a rather feminist stance that she had as much right to take a mortal lover as the male gods did. She exercised her sexual power over Odysseus to keep him with her even after he had long tired of her. She even offered him immortality, but he refused, pining for his home and his wife. The first appearance that Odysseus makes in the poem sees him sitting upon the shore of Calypso’s island, weeping. Again, any parallels between Debbie Rowe and Calypso are coincidental. At the very least it is true to say that Michael’s relationship with his second wife was very much scrutinized and criticized by the media and the public for being unusual and non-traditional, as Debbie allowed Michael to be their children’s primary carer.

In the end, Zeus sent Hermes to Calypso to order her to release Odysseus and she reluctantly helped her lover construct a boat and set sail. This is where Poseidon created a storm that shipwrecked Odysseus. In Michael’s journey, “Invincible” was released, and its promotion sabotaged by Sony, according to speculation. What’s more, rumour has it that Sony may have covertly conspired further with Poseidon, oh, I mean, Thomas Sneddon, to sink the pop star’s career. But his troubles had just begun: enter the six-headed monster!

After surviving the siren’s seductive song, Odysseus and his crew sailed past the cave of “Scylla, the creature with the dreadful bark.” She was a huge, repulsive monster with “twelve feet all dangling in the air and six long scrawny necks, each ending in a grisly head with triple rows of fangs, set thick and close, and darkly menacing death.” Odysseus was warned in a prophesy that he would lose six good men from his crew, though he did not warn them of the danger, because it was unavoidable. As the ship passed by the cave the monster snatched the six men from the ship and they died a writhing death as she devoured them. Odysseus declared that in all of his adventures he never experienced a more pitiable sight than that. In Michael’s story, since the six headed monster barks, I can only assume that it speaks with the voice of Sneddon (affectionately known by his legal colleagues as “Mad Dog”). The monster presents with the heads of one slimy journalist, Martin Bashir (the creator of the “Living With Michael Jackson” documentary that triggered investigations leading to Michael’s arrest in 2003 on child molestation charges against Gavin Arvizo), a conniving Janet Arviso (the accuser’s mother) and her unfortunate husband and three children. The twelve legs are most probably the many arms of the law that Sneddon engaged to pry into Michael’s business and personal life. His alleged co-conspirators might be the crewmen who were devoured by the experience of his trial, and although Michael suffered the attack, he emerged from that terrible trial vindicated.

The story of his adventures finished, Odysseus received the admiration and gifts of the Phaeacians who helped him return to his homeland. Meanwhile Athena helped Telemachus avoid the suitor’s ambush and arranged for him to meet his father. Together they planned their final battle—the vanquishing of the suitors and all who had betrayed them. Unaware that Odysseus had returned, Penelope set up a competition, vowing to wed any man who could string the great bow of Odysseus and shoot an arrow through a dozen axes as he used to do. The suitors all failed and only Odysseus, disguised as an old man, succeeded, thus revealing his identity. Odysseus and Telemachus massacred the suitors and Odysseus reclaimed his rightful place as king of Ithaca. He persuaded Penelope of his true identity by reminding her that he carved their bed out of the roots of a tree, symbolic of his fidelity to her (in his heart if not his body!)

Michael’s final battle—the overthrowing of his nemesis—might best be compared to his vindication after the trial in 2005. However, it is true that his journey is not yet completely over. The battle with the suitors might be seen as the challenge that Michael faces to overcome the negative press that he has received on account of the trial in 2005—to finally show the shallowness and stupidity of the media who gathered like vultures to devour his kingdom, who declared his career “dead”. Michael’s wife (the public) and his son (his devoted fans) have remained faithful and are always ready for his return, always believing that he will conquer. I wonder what Michael’s next album will be called and whether it will reflect the outcome of his heroic journey. I feel sure that it will.

As I sat upon the train considering the parallel journeys of Odysseus and Michael Jackson, I felt “the muse of poetry” stirring within me, invoked this time to tell the tale of Michael’s heroic journey. Why do we like to read stories about heroes? Because we are all heroes at heart—each one of us struggling through our own journey towards our goals. I suspect that Michael Jackson would resist the notion of hero-worship. He is a humble sort of fellow, despite his great success and enormous fame. But he cannot deny the calling that has led him along a hero’s path. History has determined that he should inspire us by his example. That’s just the way it is.

Well, I am a huge fan and I am sorry but how could you not view what has happened to Michael as an American tragedy? That comment ws not made to be an insult, but rather a defense to how victimized Michael's character has abused. Long before those wrongful and disgusting charges were alleged against him he was the pun of bizarre innuendo to defame his name and power. Even way back then his once good friend, Jane Fonda, referred to him as the walking wounded due to his vulnerability and naivity. He is so generous, so kind to a fault.

i think that MJ started something the way he always does. at one time, no one wanted to be in the tabloids. now, people cram to be in the tabloids, because they trashed MJ, and as a result, his star grew even brighter.

let me just sum it up in a phrase that a lot of people in the industry love to say now, post the MJ talboid era..

'say whatever you want to say about me, as long as you spell my name right'.

In my opinion the media had nothing to do with whats happened in the lives of Britney or Michael or any other celeb for that matter.

I also don,t think it was meant in a bad way. the girl said look what we have done to Michael meaning it is all our fault the way Michael has ended up. I dont take that to heart i,m sure she meant well.

It started with Michael, but Michael has a support system to back him up. For instance, at the time of the arrest, his support system rushed into action to give comfort and assistance, They even held a get together at his home to show support and comfort, This includes friends tha he has known since childhood, many of them very reputable and dignified, also his large family and loyal fans, as well as the churches. This is what keeps Michael sane, not forgetting his strong and deep faith in god. Without this type of support mechanism, nobody could have gone through what he has been through and come out sane. As we have seen with BS, she ended up in a hospital.:)

Exactly. Which is why I feel quite sorry for her - she is not as supported and as strong as Michael.

O/T - Dimity- thanks for sharing your essay with us..I will take some time out to read it later, as I am interested. :)

Wow, Dimity, that was some deep stuff. I ejoyed it. I am going to catch up on my greek myths now. Thanks,
Hehe. I'm glad that you enjoyed it Datsymay. Well done for wading through it! It's a bit long but I got very engrossed in the comparison.

I was thinking tonight about tragic heros. (My arguement is that Michael is a hero, not a tragic hero.) The tragic heros that immediately come to mind are Macbeth, Hamlet, King Leah, Othello, and The Great Gatsby. Each one rose to glory for a time, but gradually undermined his own success and finally fell victim to attack because of a weakness in his character that he could not overcome. This criterion does not apply to Michael in my opinion. He has his weaknesses like everyone else, undoubtedly, but the difficulties he has faced have not been self-imposed so much as thrust upon him. Like the true hero, he has been besieged by enemies and the monstrous media from without, and he has battled them all of his life and overcome them!

Whilst I am sure that Michael does not want to be hailed as a hero, he certainly is an inspiration, and he has lived courageously through his life's journey.

O/T - Dimity- thanks for sharing your essay with us..I will take some time out to read it later, as I am interested.
I hope that you enjoy it. :)

Last edited:
well I think it's all been taken the wrong way..... I think the interviewer just listed the two names that are most prominent in the media... and she's answered it in her honest opinion. I don't think she means anything insulting or malicious, she's just commenting on the sorry state that the media is in when it comes to celebrities.

Can you tell me why we need a seperate thread for this? as it's already being discussed in the News thread....

That's a good point. Remember the media can take things and slice and splice them, turning them into something that was never intended by the person being interviewed etc. Sad yet true.:mello:

I found her comment to be a diss on the media and the tabloid type of news reporting!

Michael is obviously not a tragedy, but the way the media treats him is. I think that's what she meant. I don't know why people are getting mad about this.

Michael is obviously not a tragedy, but the way the media treats him is. I think that's what she meant. I don't know why people are getting mad about this.
People are not getting mad about this. Someone made a thread and ask fans to discuss it and just about everyone as said the same as you have.:)

Why waste time debating on what some stupid ***** said?

Last edited:
Hmm.. Have I missed something? So what they have done to Michael, does this mean Michael is ruined!?! I don't see him that much ruined. Usually he is smiling all along nowadays, so how could he been ruined. He is very strong, much stronger than Britney and all the rest together because he has many times that much experience. I don't think he doesn't let others affect him that much. If he was ruined it would be his own decision and he is not self-destructive at all. He is smart and he wants to live.

Last edited:
In my opinion the media had nothing to do with whats happened in the lives of Britney or Michael or any other celeb for that matter.

Well, if you are weak, it's mostly about the media because it's kinda prison to be a hyperstar. It's the public prison. Most of the people definitely will just go nuts before long. Not Michael, but most of the people.

Oh I disagree. I don't find anything remotely judgemental about what she says. She is wholly and roundly criticizing the media for their role in hounding these celebrities to the point that they cannot get a moment of peace. Sometimes we can be a little too overly sensitive about what people say.

Best post of the day! :yes:

It is a tragedy; how Michael went from being the man everybody wanted to be, to being the man that is ridiculed, (mis)judged, insulted and slandered almost daily by both media and public. Michael really did become a victim of his fame, wether fans want to see that or not.

However, Michael himself is far from a tragedy. If anything, to me he is more like a hero because the way he takes the lies and accusations with so much dignity is nothing short from amazing.

I am thankful that Michael has so many fans around the world who never lost their marbles and who saw through the lies and fabrications to stand by Michael through thick and thin. :)

Last edited:
I don't see her statement as negative, either. You can't deny that a good percentage of America are against Michael, for absolutely no reason at all. They refuse to see the truth and the goodness in him, and they all believe the tabloid and media negativity that surrounds him. That's what Quincy's daughter was getting at, and I agree with her. Too many people hate Michael for absolutely no reason at all.

I don´t think she meant to insult him. She probably just mean that it is so sad the way that the media have treated him for the last 15 years or so. The things Quincy have said sometimes I think it has a lot to do with that he had not seen Michael for a long time. But now MJ came to visit him quit recently according to this.

All AboutQuincy Jones

By Simon Vozick-Levinson
Quincy Jones could use a day off. Twenty-five years after producing Michael Jackson's Thriller, at an age when some might be settling into a peaceful retirement, the 74-year-old music-biz legend stays busy crisscrossing the globe for various philanthropic projects. ''I'm so tired of these planes, man!'' Jones kids. ''I'm going to go to Brazil tomorrow. It's ridiculous.'' During a rare free moment at his Bel Air, Calif., home, Jones chatted with EW.com about this month's deluxe Thriller anniversary edition, his most recent visit with Michael Jackson, and whether the music industry is too far gone to be saved.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How do you feel when you look back at Thriller, 25 years later?
QUINCY JONES: I can't believe it's that long ago. When I go to Shanghai or Cairo or wherever, it's shocking to see that they're still playing it all over the world 25 years later. It's an honor to me.

When you were in the studio recording that music, did you ever imagine it would be that timeless?
You don't think about that kind of stuff when you make records. You want it to be played next week! [Laughs] It's astounding. I picked one of the most incredible teams in the world, the guys that I worked with — [songwriter] Rod Temperton and [engineer] Bruce Swedien and [keyboardist] Greg Phillinganes and [horns/strings arranger] Jerry Hey — it was a divine situation. Everybody had this incredible respect and love and affection for each other. A team that is real honest with each other, that's the key. Because there's nothing in the world like getting a group of guys [like this] around.... I've seen a lot of people [whose] friends and cousins tell them everything they do is perfect. That's a big mistake.

Have you listened to the whole Thriller album start to finish in one sitting recently?
God, no. I haven't done that in 20 years.

Why not?
I have it in my system in my home, but I'm not going to sit there attentively listening to every song. We had a lot of music out in the '80s and the '70s. So it's never been a situation where I just sit down. Maybe I will one day, when I get time. Just sit down and relax and count the blessings, really. Because that's what they are.... Michael came by here the other day.

What was that visit like?
It was great. We just hung out and talked. It was nice to see him. He came with [attorney] Peter Lopez. I hadn't seen him in a long time.

What kind of things did you talk about?
He told me that they were doing some remixes [of songs from Thriller] and so forth. Somebody sent it to me, and they're fantastic. Akon worked on one, will.i.am did one. They were beautiful.

Some people think it's almost blasphemy to remix Thriller.
Look, man, stuff happens. What happens happens, right? Lord knows, Thriller's certainly had its time, and it still does. It's still doing whatever it's supposed to do, which is shocking in itself. I think the way the record business is now, it'll never happen again.

Why do you say that?
It was the very beginning of MTV, back when MTV wasn't even playing black music. In a way, Michael and MTV rode each other to glory, in terms of establishing the format for videos. I still see every day, videos that were made last month that look just like the videos that he made 25 years ago. It's amazing. And, you know, everything grows. It has its natural evolution and it evolves. When you've been in the music business this long, nothing surprises you. I started back with 78 [rpm] records — that's how long I've been in the business.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Do you think the music business will eventually recover from where it is now?
QUINCY JONES: Who the hell knows? I think the passion for music is as high as ever. I think the distribution system is a disaster, totally flawed. It's a misunderstanding between Silicon Valley and the corporate bean counters at the record companies. And I don't think anybody knows what to do. Binary numbers are not new — they had binary numbers in Egypt, in 3500 B.C. That's still what drives all the high-tech stuff: permutations of zeros and ones. Once you get into the area of a CD or a DVD, you're handing your customer a smoking gun, 'cause it has the same power as a master. You couldn't do that with vinyl — vinyl would wear out and they'd have to buy another copy. It's changed so much. The technologies ran by the record business. The genie's out of the bottle, never to return. That's what I think. What do I know? I'm old-school, man! [Laughs]

Michael's also been recording an all-new album of his own. As someone who's collaborated with him closely, where would you like to see him go with his music?
I don't know. Right now, I haven't been concentrating on that. I've been involved in a lot of things, mainly my foundation — running all over the world, trying to figure out what to do about these kids that are having a real difficult time in Cambodia, Rwanda, the favelas, Katrina, everywhere. I care about that more than anything in the world. I'm going to be 75 this year. At that age, you've got to come up with some big solutions.

Given all that, would you say music is in the past for you?
God, no. Are you kidding me? People couldn't live two days without music. It's powerful stuff, man. It's the only thing in the world that engages the left and right brain simultaneously, emotion and intellect. Can you imagine one month with no music at all, not one note? You'd go out of your mind.

What about you personally, though? What would get you excited about making music again?
I'm going to. I'm working with Snoop Dogg, Joe Pesci...Tony Bennett called me a while ago, to do an album with him and Stevie Wonder. Music's always going to be a part of my life, man. I don't even know how to drive, so I guess I was born to do that.

Can you tell me anything else about those projects? What are they going to sound like?
I don't know. I just listen to God's whispers and when it's time to go, just go. I like it best when there's no time for paralysis from analysis. We ended up making Thriller in eight weeks, the entire album. We didn't have time to think about all that intellectual stuff. It's about blink! Malcolm Gladwell was absolutely right. You realize that we are all vehicles for a higher power to express what this is about. Music is a strange element of the planet, really. You can't see it, taste it, touch it, smell it — but you sure can feel it. Since I was 12 years old, all I've ever wanted to do is orchestrate, arrange, compose, and so forth. And most people are serious about their music. That's where it comes from. Mozart was not worried about making money off of music, you know. Money and bling-bling and Benjamins and all that stuff ain't about nothing. When we came up, we couldn't care, 'cause our idols were the raggediest dudes in the world.

Maybe these changes in the industry will help bring people back to what's important about music, then.

Yes. It's interesting to watch, though, isn't it? Especially when you get older. You start to have a different perspective on what it's really all about. I've been blessed enough, man, to work with almost everybody in the last 55 years of American music. It's a huge blessing.
|

Source: Entertainment Weekly/MJEurope

Last edited:
Back