March 27 - 29 Weekend News Byte

mariemarie

Guests
Ruben Studdard Covers Michael Jackson, Bryan Adams On Love Is

'American Idol' winner also co-wrote a handful of songs on the new album, due May 19.

He also tackles Michael Jackson's "I Can't Help It" on the album, which includes an original tune Studdard co-wrote for his wife called "A Song for Her." Along with Jam and Lewis, the album features co-production from New Jack Swing legend Teddy Riley and Big & Rich's John Rich.

Full article http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1607916/20090326/story.jhtml

“I am bewildered at the length to which people will go to portray me so negatively,” Michael Jackson.

Today in
Michael Jackson History

2005 - Michael Jackson claimed that he was the victim of a conspiracy in a interview with the Rev. Jesse Jackson. Jackson was referring to his ongoing child molestation trial and an ongoing battle over rights to songs by the Beatles, Little Richard and others.

michael_jackson_4.jpg

Last edited:

Today in

Michael Jackson History

2001 - Michael Jackson claimed that he was the victim of a conspiracy in a interview with the Rev. Jesse Jackson. Jackson was referring to his ongoing child molestation trial and an ongoing battle over rights to songs by the Beatles, Little Richard and others.
I think it's 2005 not 2001 :)

^yeh thats what i was thinking..but wasnt sure

Win tickets to see Michael Jackson at the 02 Arena!

Mar 27 2009
WIN tickets to see pop icon Michael Jackson at London’s 02 Arena!
We’re giving away possibly the last pair of tickets in Britain to see the gig of the century.
What’s more, we’ll throw in return rail travel and a four-star hotel room after the gig.
It’s an exclusive prize offer to Sunday Mercury readers.
And it’s going to be HUGE, so don’t delay in entering the competition.
Tickets for Jackson’s run of 50 shows at the former Millennium Dome sold out in hours.
Some 750,000 tickets were snapped up by fans desperate to see the King of Pop.
At one stage they were being shifted at a rate of 40,000 an hour.
Such has been interest in the comeback that sales of Jacko’s greatest hits album shot up by 400 per cent last week.
But the marathon stint at the 02 Arena just couldn’t satisfy worldwide demand.
Not even Coldplay frontman Chris Martin could get tickets.
“I wanted to buy some for myself but and I couldn’t,” said Chris. “They were totally sold out.
“To sell out like that is a testament to talent. It’s just amazing to sell out 50 shows in one city in a big arena.
“It’s the biggest comeback since Lazarus. It’s good news – but not for me.”
Concert promoters AEG Live were stunned by the reaction to their shows.
“The last week has been the most astonishing I have seen in my career in the entertainment business,” said CEO Randy Phillips.
And Chris Edmonds. managing director of Ticketmaster, was gobsmacked by the rush.
“We often talk about unprecedented demand, but this was a live entertainment phenomenon,” he said.
“We have seen a truly amazing level of demand for tickets from fans across the world.
“This was undoubtedly the busiest demand for tickets for an event we have ever experienced.”
But the exciting news is that the Sunday Mercury can help one lucky couple see Michael Jackson.
We’ve secured a VIP hotel break so that our winners can see the show in style.
If you’re our winner, here’s how our perfect pop prize package shapes up!
You’ll travel by Virgin Rail from Birmingham New Street on January 23, 2010.
We’ll book you into a four-star hotel in central London, where you’ll have a twin-bedded room.
You’ll make your own way to the O2 Arena, where you have two £75 seat tickets for the show.
After the gig relax back in your hotel room then, after free time next day, return home by rail.
The prize package is arranged through the Sunday Mercury’s famous Reader Travel Service.
And the trip is organised by our friends at Omega Holidays, who are ABTA-bonded.
It’s the No 1 gig of the century, brought to you by Britain’s regional newspaper of the year.
How to enter? Grab a copy of this Sunday's Sunday Mercury!

http://www.sundaymercury.net/entert...chael-jackson-at-the-02-arena-66331-23246428/

Lionel Richie says Michael Jackson still has the magic

Mar 27 2009 by Gavin Allen, South Wales Echo
Can soul saviour Lionel Richie help Michael Jackson make a success of his comeback? Gavin Allen talks to one of *****’s best friends.
LIONEL Richie remembers the moment Michael Jackson showed him why music was the greatest career he could choose – so now Richie is returning the favour.
As a teenager, Richie was a very talented tennis player and earned a tennis scholarship to Alabama’s Tuskegee Institute, where he also nabbed a degree in economics, while also enjoying success with his Motown group The Commodores. However, Richie says his choice was easy.
“The wonderful thing about life is that it makes things clear for you,” says Richie, who is currently touring his latest album, Just Go.
“I went to the Arthur Ash tennis academy at 19, ready to play, but they told me I was too old.
“Then I checked out my accounting grades and my teacher said to me, ‘Lionel, it would be great if you had embezzled the money but you lost the money’, so I wasn’t going to make me a great accountant. And then I went to a Jackson Five concert – we were the opening act – and I saw Michael Jackson walk on stage with his brothers, with no money in the bank, play an hour and 10 minutes and walk off with $200,000.
“I figured it was a no-brainer.”
That was in 1968 when Richie was the young lead singer and saxophonist with The Commodores, who went on to score hits with the likes of Easy and Three Times A Lady as part of the legendary Motown Records.
Since then, Richie and Michael Jackson have remained such good friends they verge on family, with Jackson serving as godfather to Richie’s adopted daughter Nicole.
“I speak to him quite a bit now that he has become Papa Jackson,” says Richie, who adopted Nicole with his first wife and later had two children with his second ex-wife. “Realising that they don’t come with a manual means that for Michael I am now the wise old philosopher. He’ll call me and say – ‘Li’o’nel how do I do this?’ – so I’m talking to him now more than ever and I’m glad of that because I need to get him back into what he does best.”
That means putting Jackson back on stage and Richie is delighted the King of Pop has sold out his huge 50-date residency at The O2 arena.
“I’m working along with that whole campaign group, I’m with him,” says Richie, who will be a smooth-talking 60 in June.
“I’ll say to you what I said to him, no-one in our business ever died because of what they did on stage – they have always died because of what they did off stage.
“No matter what problems I have had in my life, I can walk on stage and I don’t have those problems for two hours.
“I just think what he needs to do is remind himself of that, and it will take five or six shows for it to click, but this is the most dynamic performer of our time and for him to not be on stage is a crime.”
The size of Jackson’s residency has also led to widespread debate about whether Jackson will be able to fulfil the massive engagement. Can Jackson still cut it, does he still have the moonwalk magic?
“Last time I could see him, hell yeah,” asserts Ritchie, who duetted with Jackson on the 1985 charity hit We Are The World.
“He’s not that 25-year-old or 30-year-old anymore so he will have to discover some things about himself that he didn’t quite want to face up to I’m sure, but what he does have is a mound of hit records.
“He has to just get it in his head that we (as performers) are on that stage because people want to see us singing those songs.
“Whether you moonwalk or skywalk or float in from the back of the stage, that’s all extra added attractions, but the most important thing is to pick up the microphone and sing Thriller, that’s all that matters.
“Speaking from an artist’s point of view, there is an insecurity of being away for a while, even with me being off stage for a year and a half there is a little butterfly that goes off and you wonder ‘do I know what I’m doing?’.
“He has been off a lot longer than that so the butterfly will be there. But if I have to drag him on stage myself, I will.”
Lionel Richie plays at Cardiff International Arena on Thursday, April 2. Tickets cost £35-£75 from 029 2022 4488

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbi...l-jackson-still-has-the-magic-91466-23242249/

Last edited:
It seems like MJ and Lionel are really good friends. He always sticks up for MJ which I respect. It would actually be really cool if he recorded a song together, (I know they did We Are The World) but I mean a song with just them two. They are both incredible songwriters.

Whats up with this dragging/ carrying Michael? Seems to me that people have some sort of urge to pick him up and carry him around- remember that scene in the "Making of Thriller" where John Landis turned him upside down and carried him on his shoulder? I have this image in my head now of a whole bunch of people coming on stage the opening night, carrying Michael on their shoulders and placing him firmly on the stage..............:rofl:

Sorry... just had to get that picture out of my head....

Thanks for the news- nice interview with Lionel:yes:

Ruben Studdard Covers Michael Jackson, Bryan Adams On Love Is

'American Idol' winner also co-wrote a handful of songs on the new album, due May 19.

He also tackles Michael Jackson's "I Can't Help It" on the album, which includes an original tune Studdard co-wrote for his wife called "A Song for Her." Along with Jam and Lewis, the album features co-production from New Jack Swing legend Teddy Riley and Big & Rich's John Rich.

Full article http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1607916/20090326/story.jhtml

Teddy,Jimmy and Terry, huh? Pulling out the big guns.
It'll be interesting to hear his interpretation of "I Can't Help It".
Hope it goes well for Big Rube.

Thanks Marie. :)

Whats up with this dragging/ carrying Michael? Seems to me that people have some sort of urge to pick him up and carry him around- remember that scene in the "Making of Thriller" where John Landis turned him upside down and carried him on his shoulder? I have this image in my head now of a whole bunch of people coming on stage the opening night, carrying Michael on their shoulders and placing him firmly on the stage..............:rofl:

Sorry... just had to get that picture out of my head....

Thanks for the news- nice interview with Lionel:yes:
:lol: I noticed that too! LOL
Maybe it will be his new opening entrance of the concert that we were all wondering about? :rofl:

Some news nibbles:

Historic district echoes the heartbeat of LA

Canada.com -
The area has been used for location shots for everything from westerns to the 1960s TV series Gilligan's Island to Michael Jackson's now-classic music video ...

Alphabethead's ABC

California Chronicle
Alphabethead has heard people yell out "oooh, woohoo, Kraftwerk" while he has been performing, and Michael Jackson is also prominent in the mix at present. ...
Building the Perfect Beast

California Chronicle -
We're going for a mildly sexy whine here, with some Michael Jackson licks and plenty of coloratura and mellisma on the long notes, a la Stevie Wonder, ...

Madonna Michael Prince Moves to Bigger Venue

NBC Philadelphia -
... the only place to majorly sweat it out is at MMP, a high-energy monthly dance party featuring the music of Madonna, Michael Jackson and Prince. ...

Channeling the muse

Denver Post -
Michael Jackson: Thrilling them at vanity gigs overseas. And the Beatles? Let it be, man, they're gone. You'll never see these classic acts in concert again ...

50961977.jpg

lol...packing them in in denver...for a mj tribute act. america misses mj. calling them vanity gigs overseas only cus they miss him.

Lionel Richie is a good guy. I'm glad him and MJ are still friends.

I love that lionel richie has stayed true to michael
Im glad that too that they are still buddies :D

Take this with a pinch of salt as it comes from the Sun of course. lol

*****'S CHILLER NIGHTS

THRILLER star MICHAEL JACKSON will stay next to HAUNTED CAVES during his 50-concert stint in London this summer.

*****, 50, has paid £1million to rent a 28-bedroom mansion on the edge of an ancient 22-mile maze of spooky passageways.
Countless ghost sightings have been reported at the Chislehurst Caves in Kent, which were dug in chalk by the Saxons, Druids and Romans.
Now ***** will move into the nearby Manor in late June. A property source said: “His team signed up this week to stay there.
“We’re not sure if he knows about the caves but they’re all around.
CAVEE_380x300_767361a.jpg

New haunt ... caves near hideaway
The star sent aides to find the perfect country retreat before his first gig at the O2 on July 8.
The three-storey manor — built in 1875 — has quarters for 20 staff as well as an underground cinema, music room, indoor swimming pool, lake and private wood.
And the singer, who will be flown there after each of his shows, is taking no chances with security.
Ghosthunters will be prevented from straying on to *****’s 15 acres by CCTV cameras and state-of-the-art alarm systems.
The source added: “It is a luxury fortress.
“But if he wants to get into the spirit of things before singing Thriller each night, he should take a wander underground. It’s terrifying.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article2346211.ece

Thanks to all for the news and mentionings.:flowers: Loved the Lionel bit. I think it's great they keep in touch, too. Lionel = Amazing songwriter. Still listen to his older stuff as if it were brand new, especially the stuff he did with the Commodores. Just as yummy and funky as ever. Classics. :cloud9:

Take this with a pinch of salt as it comes from the Sun of course. lol

*****'S CHILLER NIGHTS

THRILLER star MICHAEL JACKSON will stay next to HAUNTED CAVES during his 50-concert stint in London this summer.

*****, 50, has paid £1million to rent a 28-bedroom mansion on the edge of an ancient 22-mile maze of spooky passageways.
Countless ghost sightings have been reported at the Chislehurst Caves in Kent, which were dug in chalk by the Saxons, Druids and Romans.
Now ***** will move into the nearby Manor in late June. A property source said: “His team signed up this week to stay there.
“We’re not sure if he knows about the caves but they’re all around.
CAVEE_380x300_767361a.jpg

New haunt ... caves near hideaway
The star sent aides to find the perfect country retreat before his first gig at the O2 on July 8.
The three-storey manor — built in 1875 — has quarters for 20 staff as well as an underground cinema, music room, indoor swimming pool, lake and private wood.
And the singer, who will be flown there after each of his shows, is taking no chances with security.
Ghosthunters will be prevented from straying on to *****’s 15 acres by CCTV cameras and state-of-the-art alarm systems.
The source added: “It is a luxury fortress.
“But if he wants to get into the spirit of things before singing Thriller each night, he should take a wander underground. It’s terrifying.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article2346211.ece

So that tight git Rod Stewart is charging a million for his mansion. What a pig. < a response to that article, lol

Maybe they'll shoot the 3D version of Thriller in those caves..

Back