Madonna Producer: “She Has Succeeded Where Michael Jackson Failed”

Wait wtf......is he on drugs.........i would take invincible over hard candy any day for one...and that was before i was a big fan........what is this dude smoking

respect77;3609583 said:
Three of Michael's albums (Thriller, Bad, Dangerous) sold more than ANYTHING Madonna ever released, ie. her best selling album!
Yet, Bad and Dangerous were considered failures while Madonna is praised for keeping it "successful"?

Besides that is not necessarily so. For example, Madonna's last album (Hard Candy) sold only 4 million copies. Also her 2003 release "American Life" sold around that number. So it's not really true that she managed to keep success at the same level. But she always got better press. I have my opinion on why.

I never said Bad and Dangerous were failures. I said they didn't have the same impact as Thriller. And they didn't. Thriller is much more than sales figure. It was a phenomenon. You turned the radio and could listen to mj for five (or more) times in a span of minutes. He was on TV several times a day. He was on several magazine covers every week. It was almost like the Beatles at the height of their peak. With Bad and Dangerous it didn't happen. These albums sold well. MJ sold out arenas and was successful. However, it's was not like Thriller. Again, it's not about numbers.

So it's irrelevant to point out that MJ albums sold more than Madonnas. We know that.

And the comment by Madonna's producer was not about albums sales either.

She has left her landmark in music and fashion in every era. In the 80s, in the 90s. And she has succeeded – what I think Michael Jackson has failed to do – to still be relevant in the 2000s working with Mirwais and Stuart Price. I’m more a fan of those albums than the ones she released when she started. And THAT is impressive to me.”

It does not seem to me he's talking about sales.

Madonna, either ppl like it or not is a successful artist and she's been continually in the media, either having a new record on the shelves or not. It's not about her outselling another artist. She's been successful not only in music, she acted in movies, musicals. She's now directing. There's more to her career than selling albums.

Michael wanted to do more than just sell albums too. But his plans got pushed aside. He had bigger goals too.

No one should call MJ a failure with all the crap he went through and yet, still tried to keep it movin. Madonna and no other can ever say thay can relate. So while I like her speech at the MTV awards in 09 I didn't get what she meant by she can relate to him cause she can not. I never seen the witch hunt she describe MJ had on her that she said she can understand. She is and always was for a good ass portion if not all of her career been able to do as she pleases. So her producer and people like Lionel Richie recently with their "failure" comments are waay out of freakin line and just don't understand! The day they are all facing life in jail for shit they did not commit with their life and career in the hands of others maybe then they can comment and/or say they can relate! REAL TALK!

@ kissybissy

I never said Bad and Dangerous were failures. I said they didn't have the same impact as Thriller. And they didn't. Thriller is much more than sales figure. It was a phenomenon. You turned the radio and could listen to mj for five (or more) times in a span of minutes. He was on TV several times a day. He was on several magazine covers every week. It was almost like the Beatles at the height of their peak. With Bad and Dangerous it didn't happen. These albums sold well. MJ sold out arenas and was successful. However, it's was not like Thriller. Again, it's not about numbers.

It depends in what part of the world you are. We have had a thread recently about it and many European fans agreed that over here in Europe actually Bad and Dangerous were bigger phenomenons than Thriller. That's my experience too. Here the hight of the MJ craze was definitely Bad/Dangerous era.

So it's irrelevant to point out that MJ albums sold more than Madonnas. We know that.

She has left her landmark in music and fashion in every era. In the 80s, in the 90s. And she has succeeded – what I think Michael Jackson has failed to do – to still be relevant in the 2000s working with Mirwais and Stuart Price. I’m more a fan of those albums than the ones she released when she started. And THAT is impressive to me.”

Madonna, either ppl like it or not is a successful artist and she's been continually in the media, either having a new record on the shelves or not. It's not about her outselling another artist. She's been successful not only in music, she acted in movies, musicals. She's now directing. There's more to her career than selling albums.

It is relevant in the context you brought up Madonna managing to keep it successful and Michael not. If we consider record sales totally irrelevant in this discussion then what is relevant? You say being in the media. Well, I hope you realize that being in the media - in a positive way - can be achieved through good PR and good media connections, good management, good record company. Things those have nothing to do with artistic merit. And sadly this is actually how the media and the music industry works today. And Paris Hilton is in the media all the time too. Does this make her more relevant than Michael?

Like Joe Vogel pointed out in his latest article Madonna was on the cover of Rolling Stone 21 times while Michael only 8 times (and 2 of that after his death). If this is your measure of success (ie. media presence) then you are right. But you have to see how certain media mechanisms work and why - and especially when it comes to Michael. The media have always been unfair to him in the last 20 years and in the last time they just tried to destroy him both as an artist and as a person. Madonna never had to face such hostility. Never. But all of this has nothing to do with artistic merit, so I still don't see how it was a fair comparation by Madonna's producer. And that is the point that he wasn't being fair to Michael, not that Madonna wasn't successful (nobody said that).

If anything, the impressive thing is rather that despite of such negative press, such hostility, lack of promotion Michael still managed to sell 13 million copies of Invincible (in the same league as Madonna's bestselling albums of the 2000s) and sell out 50 O2 shows in minutes.

kissybissy;3611979 said:

I get what your saying, but you seem to miss the clear fact that Michael's career in the 2000's was completely inactive. Apart from Invincible all Michael's music releases were just Greatest Hits style albums, and Michael was actually out there releasing new albums, touring, making movies etc between 2002-08. During that time his was in court on a regular basis from 2002-05, then getting himself back together as person after his 2005 trial. Michael wasn't in a position like Madonna to go out and make any new music part of the fabric of the 2000's.

Also I wouldn't actually say Madonna's career in movies has been successful and or has kept her relevant. Her last two albums haven't exactly had a huge impact, and hre latest album MDNA is it make her relevant again after the media saying that she's lost it and has been replaced by Lady Gaga, as the last time musically she was relevant was between 1998-2001. And also for a large part of the 1990's Madonna wasn't as big name or relevant and faced a huge backlash after her album and book Erotica after the public became bored with her obsession for pushing sexuality (which Madonna even admitted he had over done in later interviews).

Yes I agree that selling a lot of albums isn't what makes an artist relevant, but Michael's music in the 1970's, 80's and 90's had far more impact that the music on any part of Madonna's career, and his not so relevant music like the Invincible album had far more impact on people than Madonna's not so relevant albums that she released in the 1990's and 2000's.

Madonna works hard, and does many projects but because she does a not that doesn't make her as relevant today as she was between 1984-90 and 1998-2001 (the actual years she was relevant). I'm not a Madonna fan, but I would like her new album MDNA to be a success to put that waste of space Lady Gaga in her place (in the gutter). I will be contradicting myself her, but the way Madonna is still relevant is that the public still want to hear new music from Madonna and not just her greatest hits, and that is exactly what the public wanted from Michael in the 2000's and the fact he sold a record breaking 50 sold out concerts at the O2 Arena in 2009, with all the hate and negative media he faced in the 2000's showed that Michael remained relevant as he was someone the public still had a huge interest in and more popular and loved by the public than Madonna which is where real relevance is. Madonna is mostly loved by the media, her fans became journalists and Michael's fans became music stars and actors which is why his name is mentioned far more as an influence than Madonna's. And it's influence not relevance that matters in the long run after the artist has passed, and don't forget Michael was hugely successful for long periods from 1969-2001, which is something her retard of a producer appears to have forgotten.

There is no point in getting upset over this. I didn't even read the article. I only read the title..and laughed. Really. It doesn't matter. Keep laughing.

I think what happened to Madonna was that she managed to keep her success on the same level. MJ had that huge hit with Thriller and the following albums didn't have the same impact. It makes it look that his albums wasn't so relevant.
I'm not sure I understand your argument. I got the impression that you think it's better to keep your success at the same level, like Madonna did, instead of peaking high, like Michael, even if Michael's later albums sold more than Madonna's. I guess I just don't agree with that reasoning.

First off, like respect77 pointed out, in Europe the peak of Michaelmania was around Bad/Dangerous, not Thriller. And even if it were true that Thriller had more impact everywhere than his later albums, does it mean he wasn't relevant then? If we're going to compare anything to Thriller, then every single album by every single artist looks like a flop in comparison. Does that mean those other artists and other albums weren't successful or influential? Of course not. You can still be hugely successful and relevant even if you're not a Thriller-level success. No other artist is even expected to have a Thriller-like success, it's only Michael who's expected to do that. And when he can't outsell Thriller, which nobody else can either, some people say he's less relevant than artists who never had that kind of astronomical success. It doesn't make sense, imo, and I don't think it's fair to hold Michael to a different standard than all other artists.

Benscarr, I agree with your point about Michael's career being inactive in the 2000s. That, imo, is what people like Solveig don't understand, or don't want to acknowledge. It wasn't that Michael kept releasing albums but they all flopped because nobody cared about him anymore. That, I think, is what failing at being relevant means: that you try to make music and get people to be interested in you and your music, but the public just doesn't care. That's obviously not what happened with Michael. The interest in him was always there. Him not releasing more new music had to do with the circumstances of his personal life, not lack of public interest. Solveig's comment is really weird to me, it sounds like he's saying that Michael failed at something he wasn't even trying to do.

If the trial and the allegations never happened then Michael would have been working on projects just like Madonna. Madonna's hands were not tied and she didn't have her freedom at risk like Michael did. This producer is not acknowledging or doesn't want to what Michael had to deal with after 2001. It was like every time Michael wanted to do a new album or movies or anything new this huge obstacle or road block were put in his way. It was done deliberately and on purpose by people. I felt frustrated for Michael because he just wanted to move on from things. Madonna. taking nothing away from her accomplishments, was lucky she didn't have to deal with people trying to destroy you professionally and personally or try to have your kids taken from you. To be honest, as much as I wish I could laugh this off I feel like crying just thinking the hell that Michael had to deal with and I would not wish that on Madonna or anyone.

Her new video teaser

She's back to her old style.......Such a shame that we will never see MJ in his new videoclip,that's would be amazing......

wait a minute...the song is called GGW,so what are Gays men doing in the clip???!! totally irrelevant

Madonna is not the queen of anything but great marketing.

She can't sing, can sloppy dance but is a genius marketer.

So please spare that queen of pop mess.... There is no such thing as the "Queen of pop", there can only be ONE regnant at a time.... And we already have A King.

Madonna is not the queen of anything but great marketing.

She can't sing, can sloppy dance but is a genius marketer.

So please spare that queen of pop mess.... There is no such thing as the "Queen of pop", there can only be ONE regnant at a time.... And we already have A King.

Thank you! Queen my behind. King Michael Jackson rules period and Madonna will be forgotten in another 20 years!

I don't think Madonna will be forgotten in 20 years. I have my doubts about Lady Gaga, but definitely not Madonna.

Last edited:
:unsure:

LOL! Time will tell but she really hasn't done much to be remembered for imo.

Now, for many, Madonna does not mean nothing.... When she dies, she will be remembered forever, the whole world will love her and recognize its full value in the music world. Sad to say this, I know, but believe me, this is what will happen.

Last edited:
“She has left her landmark in music and fashion in every era. In the 80s, in the 90s. And she has succeeded – what I think Michael Jackson has failed to do – to still be relevant in the 2000s working with Mirwais and Stuart Price. I’m more a fan of those albums than the ones she released when she started. And THAT is impressive to me.”

35k32ud.jpg

Sir, you are just jealous that you didn't get the opportunity to work with Michael. Oh, and you probably have all of Lady GaGa's CDs in your car and secretly follow her on twitter :D

Last edited:
Ashtanga;3612888 said:
Wow.... :fear:

Sorry but it's true. I don't hate Madonna and as I said earlier I appreciate what she said about MJ, however I wouldn’t even remember Madonna NOW if it wasn’t for the comments of this fool spokesman she has pushing her new CD project. The fact is that there are a lot of female artist that have surpassed Madonna’s vocal and dance talent. Whitney and Beyoncé are prime examples but who can compare to the magnificent MJ?

Victory22;3612892 said:
Sorry but it's true. I don't hate Madonna and as I said earlier I appreciate what she said about MJ, however I wouldn’t even remember Madonna NOW if it wasn’t for the comments of this fool spokesman she has pushing her new CD project. The fact is that there are a lot of female artist that have surpassed Madonna’s vocal and dance talent. Whitney and Beyoncé are prime examples but who can compare to the magnificent MJ?

But you can not deny, Madonna does it better than any other singer (female). I very much doubt that it will be forgotten, I do not really believe. People liking or disliking, Madonna has its place and has some value. Madonna is there, many years have passed and so far it has not been forgotten. She really knows how to make her own business. FACT!!!!

I like Madonna (I'm a fan), but it's ridiculous to compare it to Michael. He is unique. He is incomparable to any other artist.

P.S. Hence 20 years we'll resurrect this thread and see if Madonna was completely forgotten.... :p :fear: (Kidding!)

Last edited:
Beyoncé is a standout female artist that does it ten X’s better than Madonna effortlessly. Yes let’s revive this thread in 20 years and see if M is remembered. Unless the music industry is overrun by Nicky Minaj clones and LMP wannabe’s Madonna will be gone.

^ ^ agree Beyonce is infinetely more gifted than Madonna but you have to give the girl props for being a marketing genius! She has made an impact that has earned her a place in history.
Love her/hate her but we'll never forget her.

This man, whom I have never heard of and don't care about, clearly has no idea what he's talking about. Nevermind, next!

he outs himself, by comparing her to him, instead of him to her...plus, if MJ is so non relevant ,why does this 'producer' mention MJ? Some people oughta listen to themselves, sometimes.

he outs himself, by comparing her to him, instead of him to her...plus, if MJ is so non relevant ,why does this 'producer' mention MJ? Some people oughta listen to themselves, sometimes.

I agree. Michael has to be relevant because people are always bringing him up to call attention to themselves. Nobody would mention Michael at all if he really meant nothing to anybody.

Last edited:
Nothing on Madonna but me and my dad was talking about Michael and Madonna and i think he right there about being King and queen of pop Madonna shouldnt be the queen of pop b/c let face it she cant sing u have better singer out there beside her and really the only thing she will be remebered for is taking her clothes off, with Michael he desives it all the title King of pop he had the whole package he could sing he was different when it came to his song,poducer,writter,act, his own lable all his albums went to no1,14 no1 singles,charity hes the only one who did short film and made them very entering,his dancing,alll his sell out concert do i need to say more. Dad said u look at madonna she dont write her own music yeah some but not all,doesnt have her own lable and has all her gone to no 1 no not all of them Michael did it all and had it all he worked really hard to get where he was so how can u say Michael Jackson wasnt relvent today.

Last edited:
Back