Madonna makes history with Sticky & Sweet Tour

What's your point? If you double Madonna's shows, it'll be 116, so if she did 125 shows the amount of people would be around the same and with her higher ticket prices (and people willing to pay the cost)... She made more with less work, sounds like better business to me.

my point is in my post. madonnas attendance and number of shows

If someone does more than double of the amount of performances as another, of course there's going to be more people. It would make more sense to compare the same amount of shows. If you divide it in half (around 61 shows), Mike's total comes out to about 2,250,000. From a business standpoint, it's still better to make more with half the work. Nobody can be #1 in everything.

why compare the same amount when they didn perform the same amount? my point is mike did more shows to a greater attendance nothin more or less. just that lol.

Last edited:
It means Michael's tour draws more audience than Madge's ( >4mil vs. >2 mil) but hers is the highest grossing tour coz' her ticket prices are much higher than Michael's :). "Highest grossing" here means "makes the most money". Hope that makes sense :lol:

And let's not forget HIStory tour was in 1997 that's eleven years ago, so if we were to even out the average price of tickets then I'm sure it would be a lot more interesting for MJ.

This isn't about comparing the two. Madonna actually broke her own record with this tour. No matter how you slice it, the amount of shows, the attendance, and the amount drawn is nothing short of astounding. A 50 year old woman is still bringing the house down in the world of pop music. AMAZING.

i have a question off the topic but....does madonna smoke or is she a heavy drinker...i just wanna know how could she still so powerful inspite of all the stress of the fame and work..i'm not a fan of Madge but she is diffenitly an inspiration?

but again does she smoke or drink?

i have a question off the topic but....does madonna smoke or is she a heavy drinker...i just wanna know how could she still so powerful inspite of all the stress of the fame and work..i'm not a fan of Madge but she is diffenitly an inspiration?

but again does she smoke or drink?
She's a gym rat and into healthy foods, that's how she manages to stay in shape. I don't know about the smoking. I've seen her posing with cigarettes & cigars in the past that were unlit. If she does smoke, it's can't be heavily, because you can't do all of that exercising and be a chain smoker. It also would conflict with trying to be healthy.

It was the biggest grossing tour because they charged a lot of money for the ticket in order to finance the huge productions. It certainly wasn't as well attended as they had wished. Most of her European shows were not sold out. I talked to people who went to her concert here in September and most of them were disappointed, saying it was a chaotic show with a lot of effects and visual overkill, but no atmosphere, no "real" music, no soul. I respect Madonna for her longevity, but I take a good rock show over her overblown Vegas-type production any day.

It was the biggest grossing tour because they charged a lot of money for the ticket in order to finance the huge productions. It certainly wasn't as well attended as they had wished. Most of her European shows were not sold out. I talked to people who went to her concert here in September and most of them were disappointed, saying it was a chaotic show with a lot of effects and visual overkill, but no atmosphere, no "real" music, no soul. I respect Madonna for her longevity, but I take a good rock show over her overblown Vegas-type production any day.

i completely agree with you. i admire her for her energy at the age of 50, but the show was...blatant.

i completely agree with you. i admire her for her energy at the age of 50, but the show was...blatant.

it is true that her los angeles show, two months ago, didn't sell out. makes u wonder about the live nation claim. after all, live nation is her company.

it is true that her los angeles show, two months ago, didn't sell out. makes u wonder about the live nation claim. after all, live nation is her company.
It's not her company, Live Nation is a management firm. She doesn't own it.

So now we are going to insinuate that this all bogus? How typical.

So now we are going to insinuate that this all bogus? How typical.

Nobody is insinuating anything. People have said if its true congrads to her.

I personally could care less either way.

nobody is insinuating anything. however, we are asking for the math to be done. the fact is..she didn't sell out in the entertainment capital of america(Los Angeles)..and a few others on the board said she didn't sell out in other places too.

hard truth is hard truth there. what are we supposed to gather? if she did sell out in los angeles, i wouldn't have said anything about it. but she didn't. however, if you are insinuating that i'm into blasting anyone who isn't Michael Jackson..check out my comments on the Amy Winehouse thread, and the McFly thread.

She's a gym rat and into healthy foods, that's how she manages to stay in shape. I don't know about the smoking. I've seen her posing with cigarettes & cigars in the past that were unlit. If she does smoke, it's can't be heavily, because you can't do all of that exercising and be a chain smoker. It also would conflict with trying to be healthy.

thank you very much.

The whole "if it's true" and "congratz to her BUT" is why I said what I said. It's really not so out of line if you actually read the posts.

Madonna Resuming Sticky & Sweet Tour This Summer
January 30, 2009 12:00 AM ET
Ray Waddell, Nashville
Billboard

Madonna will crank up her Sticky & Sweet tour again this summer with about 25 more shows in the U.K. and Europe, which will add to the total of what's already the top-grossing tour ever by a female or solo artist.

The final leg of the tour will start in London at the O2 Arena on July 4. Madonna will also play the Manchester (U.K.) Evening News Arena, with the rest of the dates on the tour being stadiums in European markets she has either never played or hasn't played in several years, according to tour producer Arthur Fogel, chairman of global music for Live Nation.

Adding another leg to a tour is a highly unusual move for Madonna. "It absolutely has not happened in the four tours I've been involved with," Fogel tells Billboard.com. "There has been talk [of extending] during each one, but it has never come to be. But with this one, she loves the show, she's had a great time and she's excited about playing new markets."

Fogel says the demand is clearly present in these fresh Madonna markets; London is the only repeat market from the 2008 leg. "It's amazing when you look at the number of markets that she's never played, including this last run in 2008," he says. "We went to quite a few markets she has never played or hasn't been to in 15-plus years. This [extension] is really a continuation of that in the sense of playing new and different markets."

Madonna has enjoyed remarkable box office growth over her past four tours, raking in $75 million in 2001, $125 million in 2004, $194 million in 2006 and $280 million last year, according to Billboard Boxscore. All of these tours were produced by Fogel and his team, and all included roughly the same number of dates (55-60 shows). Attendance has also remained steady, and ticket prices were the same on the past two tours, Fogel says.

The extension will take Sticky & Sweet to around 80 shows, and boost it well into the top five grossing tours of all time. Despite the more than six-month break, the tour will feature the same production and performers as 2008. "It is a long hiatus, but everybody was excited to continue," Fogel says. "So we basically worked out the arrangements for all the performers, crew and equipment and we'll be ready to go."

The Sticky & Sweet tour was the first under a 10-year multi-rights agreement between Madonna and Live Nation, valued in some reports at about $120 million.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/madonna-resuming-sticky-sweet-tour-this-1003936340.story

^ yeahh she will come to Finland for the first time!
I probably won't see her though, I'm not so huge fan I'd pay 99€ for it.

she is coming for the first time (to do a concert...coz she was here before filming Evita) too.
last year some ppl i know went to Vienna to her concert, and they were disappointed.(

Back