Madonna makes history with Sticky & Sweet Tour

Travis

Proud Member
‘STICKY & SWEET’ TOUR: 58 SHOWS - 2,350,282 FANS!!!

• Date: Dec 22,2008

madonna-throne-concert-gal-.jpg

#1 GROSSING TOUR IN HISTORY FOR SOLO ARTIST

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ — With the completion of Madonna’s final show in Sao Paulo, Brazil last evening — one of eleven record-breaking performances in South America — the ‘Material Girl’s’ ‘Sticky & Sweet’ Tour reigns supreme by becoming the Number One Largest Grossing Tour in history by a solo artist, it was confirmed today by Live Nation, the tour’s international producer. Her 58 shows in Europe, the US, Canada, Mexico and South America played for a staggering 2,350,282 fans and sold over $280,000,000 in tickets

“Madonna has yet again demonstrated her true global appeal as a live performer whether in stadiums or arenas. Not only will this tour be the top selling tour of all time for a solo artist and a female artist (eclipsing her own record), but it will position her as one of the top selling touring artists of all time,” said Arthur Fogel, Live Nation’s Chairman of Global Music and CEO of Global Touring.

Along with record breaking ticket sales in South America with a total 650,000 tickets sold, the ‘Sticky & Sweet’ Tour sold 72,000 tickets at Zurich’s Military Airfield Dubendorf — the largest audience ever assembled for a show in Switzerland. In London, where she performed in front of 74,000 fans with over 12 million dollars in ticket sales, Madonna surpassed all previous records at both the old and new Wembley Stadiums. In New York City, Madonna’s four sell-outs at Madison Square Garden shows added up to a record breaking 23 sold out performances since 2001 at that venue — a record for most appearances for a single artist in this decade.

Madonna’s multi Grammy-nominated CD “Hard Candy” debuted at number one early this year in over 37 countries.

SOURCE Live Nation

:D whatever..i think its time for me to start touring again..ppl all around the world are now deaf..lol..Madonna biggest grossing solo artist..hahahahahaha..it made my day i really laughed soo loud finally today...:rofl:

Yeah I read this back a while ago. Congrats to Madonna! Still going strong after all these years. Very impressive.

Awesomeness. Though I still think her Confessions and Re-Invention tours were much better. S&S Tour's live performance of Into The Groove sucks horribly. Vogue is once again the best performance. I love that song so much.

Congrats to the future Mrs A-Rod, you go girl whew that's a fine man okay back on topic congrats Madge :)

Personally I dont rate "grossing stuff" that much coz' of crazy price she charged. But it's really impressive that she still draws such huge audience with that price :) Congrats Madonna :). Just hope she wont become a touring act like Rolling Stone LOL.

i went to this tour's concert and i was disappointed. it's just too much of everything,it is is too chaotic.
confessions tour, god that was awesome. unfortunately didn't see it live.

well it's just like the albums i guess. confessions was amazing and hard candy is a mess of an album.

wasn't history tour the biggest selling tour for solo artist?

wasn't history tour the biggest selling tour for solo artist?
no idea i dont think i ever heard that. theres confusion i guess between bigggest selling interms of what? money made or actuall attendences. wasnt bad the biggest mj tour?

I don't like Madonna as person or her music, but congratulations to her.

I may be wrong but I presume Madonna will have broke the record and made history for the highest gross tour as in money earned. This is a record that will be beaten, and even if and when Michael tours again which I presume will result in the highest grossing tour of all time. Than that record will be beaten. Bad was once the largest grossing tour of all time, until a couple of years later when the Rolling Stones broke the record. Ticket prices go up, and so will the overall money made from artists tours. I think Madonna has the highest priced tickets for a pop star, which will be a huge advantage to her. But this is a record she broke fair, so credit due to her.

From Wiki:

Money-wise it does appear to be the biggest grossing tour, but not the most attended.

The HIStory Tour was Michael Jackson's third solo world tour that started on September 7, 1996 in Prague, Czech Republic and ended on October 15, 1997 in Durban, South Africa. The tour consisted of 82 concerts and was attended by approximately 4.5 million fans, beating his previous Bad Tour with 4.4 million. The tour is largest concert tour ever excluding free concerts, grossing a total of over $163.5 million.

We all know wiki is not a real source anyway but it makes sense.

Congrats to the future Mrs A-Rod, you go girl whew that's a fine man okay back on topic congrats Madge :)

lol@arod comment.

anyway, they are saying that she is the biggest selling solo artist and one of the biggest selling artists, at the same time. which is it?

From Wiki:

Money-wise it does appear to be the biggest grossing tour, but not the most attended.

We all know wiki is not a real source anyway but it makes sense.

i don't understand what u mean by biggest selling vs. most attended

i don't understand what u mean by biggest selling vs. most attended

It means Michael's tour draws more audience than Madge's ( >4mil vs. >2 mil) but hers is the highest grossing tour coz' her ticket prices are much higher than Michael's :). "Highest grossing" here means "makes the most money". Hope that makes sense :lol:

She was flirting with a Brazilian model.His name is Jesus Luz.:D
The couple were kissing and dancing in the party in São Paulo,Brazil.:party:

It means Michael's tour draws more audience than Madge's ( >4mil vs. >2 mil) but hers is the highest grossing tour coz' her ticket prices are much higher than Michael's :). "Highest grossing" here means "makes the most money". Hope that makes sense :lol:

oh yea. wow..the media is quite 'clever'.

thanks...

i prefer a fellow fan's wisdom over the media's 'cleverness'.

But 2,3 million fans for 58 shows is nothing short of amazing, indeed :yes: :yes:

shouldnt it be sweet and sticky. maybe its just me but i find it impossible to say sticky and sweet. its like one of those sayings u have to speak when u are drunk. u just cant get your teeth around it lol

lol..aside from the 5000 dollar tickets that went quickly at MJ's MSG..i don't think that constantly competing for the biggest grossing tour of all time, is necessarily a positive thing to compete for for life. MJ does not want to tour himself into the ground. MJ is doing ok, and we don't have to worry about him, just because he doesn't tour a lot. the point is, MJ sells out everytime he tours.

Meanwhile, Madonna is doing well on her tours. congrats to her.

Last edited:
What's your point? If you double Madonna's shows, it'll be 116, so if she did 125 shows the amount of people would be around the same and with her higher ticket prices (and people willing to pay the cost)... She made more with less work, sounds like better business to me.

That's true, but still what was so impressive about Michael's "History" tour is that he was able to gross that much and unlike Madonna, he didn't play any dates in North America. The fact that he didn't give any concerts in the U.S. and was still able to gross $160 million (or whatever the exact figure is) and draw in 4.5 million people is very impressive.

Back