Long Curly/wavy Hair(on Guys). Whats You Opnion?

KB50MJ

Proud Member
Its normal for women, but not so common with men. Dreads are common amongst black men. But you don't see too many black men with long curly/wavy these days.

And I've always thought its a shame people have to criticize black men with long curly hair. They are not that different from dreads. The only difference is that dreads look more like long thick braids.

I personally LOVE the hairstyle. I love it to death.

Here are some pics of myself with the hairstyle:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Now I get many mixed reactions with this hair. Many like it, and there are some who don't. But for the most part, most like it. Many people says its fits me and that I look like MJ. And believe it or not, this hair has gotten many people to become my friend and talk to me, just becuase I look like Michael Jackson. And some told me that I'm the only one in my school who could really pull this look off. lol (I'm not trying to sound conceited here, but thats just what I get told). I could go on and on on my many experiences I've had over the last few months becuase of my hair. Just ask if you want to know more.

And the feeling of having long curly/wavy hair is so liberating. lol. Its just makes me feel a whole lot better. Mainly becuase I look different and unique. Plus it looks cool on top of that.

I honestly think its a shame we don't see more black guys with long curly hair. Especially if it fits their face. And that most people shouldn't criticize others for having this kind of hair. Especially if it looks good on them.

What do you think? Whats your opinion on guys with long curly/wavy hair?

I just made a youtube account about the my jheri Curl journey.

This Channel was made especially for Jheri Curls and Wave Nouveaus. Me (Kurt) and my friend Garrett are going to be posting videos talking about the Jheri Curl, how to get it, how to maintain it, what products to use, tricks and tips, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JheriCurlNouveau?feature=mhw4

Last edited:
Aw I can't see the pics either but really wanna see them after seeing what you wrote! :giggle:
I like it. :yes:

I don't see the pictures.

Curly or wavy hair on a guy is nice. However, I've always had a thing against guys with long hair. Very few can carry it off and are "forgiven" by me for it...heh (Michael Jackson for one).

you can play a young michael in a movie if you wanted too, go audition. haha
i do like this hair style and i agree with what your saying, its weird how we do not see this hair often on men. or even short curly hair... i think guys look great with small curls from the past not only michael. but like you said its unique to have such a hairstyle now, so you probably do get more compliments, stares that way. i find it odd how come 'jheri curl' hair or ethnic curls/afros now are some how outdated, but dreads keep going. you see some black women with small afros at times and small tight curls still, but with men you do not. ...maybe little boys, but how come when black hairstyles are outdated they stay outdated....and become some running joke? ...even 90s black hair styles. yet there are some white men who still do 50's elvis hair, james dean hair or even ceasar hair cuts for that matter! rofl, but it is odd for some reason afros or small curls are always somehow outdated on men. but keep it up, its nice to see people step out of everyday modern hair and i try to do retro hair styles to be unique. michael had this iconic curly hair so why shouldnt it be redone like other iconic hairstyles are constantly redone.

I think long curly/wavy hair looks great on guys. I had wavy hair and I tried to grow out my black hair, but I was too impatient on waiting for it to grow. I wanted to sport that look at some point. I think it's a timeless look.

Last edited:
Heyyyy, I just figured something out! I remember reading the posts from like March between you and Jam about Jheri curl "how-tos" on that long-ass hair thread on Max Jax! :lmao: That was you, right?! Well, good to see you've got it down. :D

Heyyyy, I just figured something out! I remember reading the posts from like March between you and Jam about Jheri curl "how-tos" on that long-ass hair thread on Max Jax! :lmao: That was you, right?! Well, good to see you've got it down. :D

Yea. that was me. lol. Jam told me everything I needed to know.

Your hair does look like Michael's hair. As for me I prefer only certain guys with curls I usually just prefer my guys with long dark wavy or straight hair. But I love the curls in Michael's hair. Michael had always looked so hot and sexy with curly hair. Which is why my hair on certain days automatically looks like his in away. Even though my hair is a lot longer than his.

Wow your hair is just like Michael's! Looks good on you!

Usually I'm not into long hair on guys though, it's not something every guy will look good with (you and Michael are exceptions! :) )

KB50MJ your hair looks great. It really suits you. And yeah a lot like MJ's

However, I've always had a thing against guys with long hair. Very few can carry it off and are "forgiven" by me for it...heh (Michael Jackson for one).
You mean the messy-greasy hippie style? eew, unforgiven to anybody that's for sure. My cousin used to have that look, then he went to the army. LoL goodbye hippie hair.
With long hair you gotta take care of it! Wash it, use conditioner and brush it good.
i find it odd how come 'jheri curl' hair or ethnic curls/afros now are some how outdated, but dreads keep going. you see some black women with small afros at times and small tight curls still, but with men you do not. ...maybe little boys, but how come when black hairstyles are outdated they stay outdated....and become some running joke? ...even 90s black hair styles. yet there are some white men who still do 50's elvis hair, james dean hair or even ceasar hair cuts for that matter! rofl, but it is odd for some reason afros or small curls are always somehow outdated on men..
Yeah it's really funny. And is it like a style now that many black men just shave their head bald. same with white guys (not to be mistaken for skinheads).
I'd say that it's acceptable if the guy is like in his 20's an already going bald then it's better to shave it all of rather than having that terrible comb over.
combover.jpg

Of course it depends on the type of person but I think many men would look better with longer hair.
sy_hair03.gif

KB50MJ, I like your hair, it looks great! :yes:

Your hair looks awesome!! wow love it.. and it looks a LOT like Michaels hair!

You mean the messy-greasy hippie style? eew, unforgiven to anybody that's for sure. My cousin used to have that look, then he went to the army. LoL goodbye hippie hair.

I guess I mean the Fabio type of long hair, unkempt and messy and extending past shoulders.

ur hair definitely looks like thriller/victory era lol, i've got curls too man, mine are shorter tho

n1344810190_30054208_5894.jpg

n1344810190_30058690_9778.jpg

n1344810190_30045385_5236.jpg

i've always wanted my hair to be longer like thriller but not as long as bad, right now i think its in more of a 1980 triumph era look lol

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

ur hair definitely looks like thriller/victory era lol, i've got curls too man, mine are shorter tho

n1344810190_30054208_5894.jpg

n1344810190_30058690_9778.jpg

n1344810190_30045385_5236.jpg

i've always wanted my hair to be longer like thriller but not as long as bad, right now i think its in more of a 1980 triumph era look lol

Your curls look nice too. I remember when I was at that length. Mine were a little thicker and more relaxed though.

Now do you have to go get your hair done that way, or does your hair naturally curl?

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Your curls look nice too. I remember when I was at that length. Mine were a little thicker and more relaxed though.

Now do you have to go get your hair done that way, or does your hair naturally curl?

thanks, i dont go get it don per say (or however you spell that lol) my hair curls naturally when it gets wet, but i put gel in it to give it the definition that you see in those pictures, so i consider it natural cuz i dont need a perm to get it

thanks, i dont go get it don per say (or however you spell that lol) my hair curls naturally when it gets wet, but i put gel in it to give it the definition that you see in those pictures, so i consider it natural cuz i dont need a perm to get it

Thats cool. My hair naturally grows like an afro. So I need to get mine done every 4 months.

What ethnicity are you?

Thats cool. My hair naturally grows like an afro. So I need to get mine done every 4 months.

What ethnicity are you?

yea mine will be like a nappy curlfro if i let it grow lol, im half black and half guyanese tho

Back