Little "tweaks" you would make to the Xscape album!

Starwars

Proud Member
Are there any little things that bother you about the album? Noises you don't like? A chorus you'd like repeated just once more? Things in the demo version you'd like to have seen in the new versions? Post 'em here! :)

I for one cannot believe how they could *not* repeat Michael's acappela "Loving yoooou, that's what I wanna do" at the end of Loving You just a few more times. Each time that part comes around I just want it to continue for a few more moments.

I would have replaced the demo of DYNWYCA with the 2010 version.

drop the part from Chicago where Michael just goes "da-daaaaa--..lalaaaaa"
obvousily just a filled vocal gap... and with that flanger effect on it it just sounds
a bit too spaced out. :D

drop the part from Chicago where Michael just goes "da-daaaaa--..lalaaaaa"
obvousily just a filled vocal gap... and with that flanger effect on it it just sounds
a bit too spaced out. :D

Oh what part is that bit please?

I wouldn't include chicargo or its ducks Iwould take that out completely :thinking:

I'd fix the darn off-tempo hand claps around the middle of the solo LNFSG! Very sloppy.

But then we never would have gotten the original version of the song

I prefer the 2010 over the released one. Is 2010 not a demo as well, but a mix? I may have missed some discussion on it.

I wouldn't include chicargo or its ducks Iwould take that out completely :thinking:

So I wasn't the only one who heard that.

MallardCalling.jpg

The intro of APWNN contains too much MJ "aarh"s in repeat..

Few songs seem to be cuted so everything fits on the Deluxe

- each song 6-7min or more (with all the mj adlibs etc)
- less bass on AWPNN, it sometimes hurts my ears when i listen with subwoofers.
- STTR: less repetitive instrumental and more of the old demo beat.

overall i like the album anyway.

I thought it was a vocoder.

Nah. A vocoder sounds completely different. More like a robot.
Like the very first sound of the new "A Place With No Name".
Thats a synth sound put thought a vocoder. With vocals it sounds similar.
"P.Y.T." on the Thriller LP has a vocoder saying "pretty young thing" at some parts.

In that part in Chicago its some simple "Flanger" or "Chorus" effect.

ive found something weird on APWNN. is the mastering messed up? i hear MJs voice clipping in some parts of:
3:05 - 3:55min (APWNN new version).

can someone confirm this?

*edit* the demo has no clipping.

I would take out Slave, Slave To The Rhythm part in the background by Timbaland in the new version.
Add a guitar like in the Demo of DYKWYCA in the new version.
Take out most of the MJ gulps in the new version of APWNN.
I wouldn't touch the demos though :D

Yes, i also would remove the bass out of APWNN , as shown in the Xscape Documentary, it sounds,strong enough with just the beat & the strings.

- Polish John McClain's mix of Love Never Felt So Good: remove the audible tape hiss; make the transitions smoother; fix the off steady claps during the second chorus.

- Add an extended outro to Slave to the Rhythm, with Michael ad libbing over hand claps. (Take a listen to the last minute or so of the Tricky Stewart mix to see what I'm talking about.)

- Exchange the synth riff on Do You Know Where Your Children Are with the steel guitar from the 2010 reproduction. This is the only problem I have with this mix; I don't hate it, but knowing what the original composition was, it's very underwhelming.

- Remove Timbaland's drum line from Blue Gangsta and replace it with the original layer. Timbaland's verses paired with the strength of the original song? Absolute perfection, as far as I'm concerned.

- Extend the beat box samples during the intro to Xscape; turn up the backing vocals during the bridge.

Crank up the volume on the choruses, and re-add the harmonies on APWNN!

The sound of hearing the title "xscape, xscape,xscape" in the beginning of the don't us a bit cheesy to me... Also while I love the instrumental sound of dykwyca I wish that sound was used or a different son simply because it brings a light hearted fun sound to a song that I feel should sound a little more serious.. Takes away from the meaning of the song.. Itheu just don't go together, but the sound of the instrumental (video game) sound is awesome

I would replace the original version of Blue Gangsta with 2010 leaked version. I really liked "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" sample, and the chorus in the bridge section sounded stronger. IMO that half-acapella part is one of the most beautiful things that Michael has ever done. Surprised to see very few people seem to have mentioned that.

The Blue Gangsta leak from 2010 is stronger than the version on the album. The latter feels a little bare because there are no background chords.

Also, as mentioned previously, some of the modern versions' choruses sound a little muted and don't hit has hard as they could. A Place With No Name is one of them.

- Lose some of MJ's vocal tics in the "APWNN" intro.

- "Slave To the Rhythm" should end with a fade out. I also prefer some of the chords of the original leaked version.

- Maybe it's because I'm so used to the 2010 leaked version, but I wish "DYKWYCA" was just a little more guitar-laden.

- Restore all of the horn lines and background vocals to the new mix of "Blue Gangsta."

Tiny things as I love the whole album. But STTR I would have made about 20 seconds longer. It feels like a single edit, and there was more room for MJ ad-libs.

DYKWYCA - I really like it but the production on the remix isn't urgent or dirty enough like the guitar riff brings to the 2010 version. With subject matter like that the accomanying music should be less poppy. It's a dark song, I mean it isn't called 'Do You Know Where Your Hamster is'.

On the Xscape demo that girl interlude saying 'sometimes I feel like I got to get away' is cringe-worthy and ruins the song flow. Glad they removed it from the new version.

Tiny, tiny things like I say, I love it & can listen on repeat for ages.

- each song 6-7min or more (with all the mj adlibs etc)
- less bass on AWPNN, it sometimes hurts my ears when i listen with subwoofers.
- STTR: less repetitive instrumental and more of the old demo beat.

overall i like the album anyway.

Would have liked to have the added bridge they had of STTR at the BBA. But unfortunately they had to cut some songs so the demos and all the new versions fit in one CD. Hopefully we will get the BBA STTR at some point. I would love to have that one.

Would have liked to have the added bridge they had of STTR at the BBA. But unfortunately they had to cut some songs so the demos and all the new versions fit in one CD. Hopefully we will get the BBA STTR at some point. I would love to have that one.

i loved that break down where they did this funky side steps in the sttr performance (quite near the end)

that should have been in the album version.

Back