List of artists who think are underrated

analogue

Proud Member
What artists/bands do you think are underrated?

For me it's

a-ha - If people would look past the song Take On Me, they would see that a-ha is a very creative band and Morten Harket is one of the best singers in pop music and Magne Furuholem and Paul Waaktaar are great musitons and songwritters

DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince - With Will Smith being one of the biggest movie stars in the world right now people tend to over look his music career. Which is sad because Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince are a great Hip Hop group. Also Jazzy Jeff's solo records are amazing! If people would take the time to listen to them they'd see that Jeff is a better than most of the producers that are out now (Kanye West, Timberland)

Bee Gees - People seem to always write them off as a disco act but they are so much more than that. I wish that some people would look past Saturday Night Fever and check out some of their other matrerial because it's great

Fiona Apple (the girl is amazing, she has it all--she's gorgeous, has a great voice, plays an instrument very well, composes great music, AND writes her own songs), India Arie (same thing, she's beautiful, plays an instrument very well, composes great music, AND writes her own songs).

Wow that's all I can think of right now lol.

Last edited:
Chrisette Michele, IMO, doesn't get the recognition that is do to her. She's one of the rare talent that's out these days. I saw her at the Fillmore and I was very impressed by her live performance.

most cats under these labels

BBE
Stones Throw
Delicious Vinyl
A Touch of Jazz
Warp
Talkin Loud
Bling47
Rawkus
Up Above
Half Tooth
ABB
Hidden Beach
Garden Seeker
Underdog
Barak
Donut Boy
Blue Note

Kevin Michael
Lupe Fiasco
Fantasia
Michelle Williams
Solange Knowles
Jesse McCartney
Mya
Trey Songz

Chrisette Michele, IMO, doesn't get the recognition that is do to her. She's one of the rare talent that's out these days. I saw her at the Fillmore and I was very impressed by her live performance.

I second this!!! :clapping: I saw her at the House of Blues Chicago. She is a brilliant vocalist and musician. I had chills listening to her.

earth wind and fire
isley brothers
heatwave
junior senior
hall and oats
celine dion
mariah carey

Brand New Heavies
Chante' Moore
New Edition
En Vogue
Tears For Fears
El & Chico Debarge
Swing Out Sister
Tori Amos
Wendy & Lisa
Gap Band
Johnnie Taylor

lil mama
kelly rowland
michelle williams
jordin sparks
danity kane
j holiday
mario

Oh...and LLOYD is O-so-very underrated!

He's an awesome singer and a great dancer as well! Better than Omarion, chris brown, ne-y n all of them..while these cats try to imitate michael jackson, I think Lloyd channels MJ. U can definately find some MJ inspired characteristics in his craft but its done tastefully and not carbon-copy a la Chris brown...Lloyd doesn't have to try to be like MJ..his style just comes off as reminscent of early Off The Wall and Thriller MJ naturally..I love LLoyd and he's soooo overlooked!! Not to mention he sings and dances at the same time pretty well in my book..not the best but better than most of the wannabes out there that try but sound horrible or resort to lip syncing

Evanescence (their second album The Open Door is underrated that is. it is such a good album but I guess it wasn't as popular as Fallen because it is less commercial. But the album is mind-blowing.)
The Fray (so many good songs on their album but it seems as if they are criticized as a copy of Coldplay. Being a fan of both I can say that it is not true.)
Vanessa Carlton (she has a unique voice, style and her songs are a combination pop, rock , light and dark with some awesome piano melodies.check it out)
Jennifer Lopez (lately, that is. I think that people pay no attention to her at all lately, as they have loved her back then but now they don't care about her. I think that her last 2 albums are underrated - Como Ama Una Mujer - her first Spanish album is a masterpiece IMO. She shows that she has some nice vocal abilities, better than before, of course not a Whitney Houston range,but still, very nicely sang, great lyrics, soothing melodies... And Brave, her latest English album is one of the best pop albums I have heard in years. It's a shame it flopped, but I guess you gotta have that azzhole Timbaland nowadays to succeed. I highly recommend both of these albums.)
Timbaland (yeah right lol)

Basia
Duran Duran
Hall & Oates
TTD/Sananda
Lizz Wright
Astrud Gilberto

Last edited:
Fiona Apple (the girl is amazing, she has it all--she's gorgeous, has a great voice, plays an instrument very well, composes great music, AND writes her own songs), India Arie (same thing, she's beautiful, plays an instrument very well, composes great music, AND writes her own songs).

Wow that's all I can think of right now lol.

i love fiona apple i agree she is amazing

THE CORRS!

One of the best bands to hit the planet.

You will lose so much if you don't hear them...

Tamia
Shanice (Yes, vocally, she's better than Mariah Carey)
Amel Larrieux
Eric Benet
Dwele
Teedra Moses

Enya by a mile. after her hit, 'only time', i requested to a love songs radio station that they play her new hit. and they didn't have it. and i wondered why, and they said the stores were not stocking it. so i checked the stores, and sure enough, they were not. we're talking about virgin megastore right smack in the middle of hollywood blvd.

i was flabberghasted. and now i forgot the title of that new hit. and it's not because it's forgettable...it's because i only heard it one time. and there are times you have to hear a song again, and it does not take away from its catchability. all i know is..i remember the song as being very beautiful.

i think radio stations should give much more attention to enya..seeing as she is sampled quite a bit.

oooooh, I must say my new found #2 love (after MJ, of course):

STEVE PERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *sigh* lol

(looooove journey-WITH Steve, of course)

Last edited:
Back