Lavelle Smith

BONGANI

Proud Member
Every concert or event MJ performed at (well atleast the ones I've seen) Lavelle Smith was there. He has been dancing for MJ as far as the Bad Tour. What are this man's thoughts on Michael the entertainer? In my opinion nobody else knows MJ's art on stage better than Lavelle does because he has been working with him for so long.
Does anyone have an interview or qoutes where he talks about working with the king?

I know of one quote in which he said as a dancer, Michael was definitly in the same catagory as Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly.

I know of one quote in which he said as a dancer, Michael was definitly in the same catagory as Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly.

Oh thanx for that Nicole.. Anyway I thought I would atleast have a page full of qoutes, oh well knowing Michael, he probably makes his dancers sign some confidentiality agreement, who knows..

Found something:

10/09/1999 Quote from Lavelle Smith

During an interview with Black & White Magazine in August of 1997, dancer and choreographer Lavelle Smith spoke about the influence of his works with Michael on today's dance world.

"It's not nice to see people copying your work. They say imitation is a form of flattery. I don't agree. In this case, imitation is just stealing. Each time I see people doing our moves in videos, commercials or live performances, I just feel they're stealing from us."

Lavelle Smith has been Michael's assistant choreographer since 1991.

http://www.michael-jackson-trader.com/news/1999/September/index.html

Found something:

During an interview with Black & White Magazine in August of 1997, dancer and choreographer Lavelle Smith spoke about the influence of his works with Michael on today's dance world.

"It's not nice to see people copying your work. They say imitation is a form of flattery. I don't agree. In this case, imitation is just stealing. Each time I see people doing our moves in videos, commercials or live performances, I just feel they're stealing from us."

Looks like you've google'd his name the same as I did and found that on a link from MJtrader lmao!

Another one =)

Friday, July 21, 2006

The Graduates: Performing arts students leave Louisville to tackle the world of entertainment

LaVelle Smith's family gave him one year to make it in dance. The alternative? Return to Kentucky and pursue a four-year college degree.
"I didn't want to move back to Kentucky, and I didn't want to be in college four years and not make money. I was determined to make it."

Smith, 40, is a choreographer and 1983 graduate of the Youth Performing Arts School. He has won five MTV Music Awards, two Bob Fosse Awards, an Emmy nomination and numerous other awards.
He has choreographed music videos for megastars such as Beyonce, Janet Jackson, Destiny's Child, TLC, Texas and En Vogue. His dance moves have been seen on tours of the Rolling Stones, Diana Ross and Janet Jackson.

He also choreographed and performed on three Michael Jackson tours.

His is the kind of career that YPAS faculty and staff enjoy talking about. The school, located at 1517 S. Second St., draws the best students and it produces some of the best performers in the nation.
"I see them out on stage all the time, and I'm overwhelmed by their talent, sophistication and confidence level in their performance," said Beverly Keepers, principal since 1989. Founded in 1978, enrollment was 435 in the 2005-06 school year.
The following story highlights three YPAS graduates who are making their mark in the performing arts.

Before Smith became a world-renowned choreographer, he was a teen-ager with a dream. He auditioned for YPAS in 10th grade thinking that he would pursue a career in drama. But he failed the audition and was left with his second choice: Dance.
"The teachers there were fantastic," he said. "I learned hard work. I learned that it wasn't going to be easy. But I just knew somehow that I could make a career for myself in dance."

The people he met during his time at YPAS mentored his moral character, teaching him to "mouth" less and listen and think more.
And three weeks after graduating from YPAS, the 18-year-old moved to Chicago and landed a salaried dance position with the Gus Giordano dance troupe, called Giordano Jazz Dance Chicago.

Unsatisfied with the pay of a company dancer, Smith kept auditioning for dance roles. He also ran up against racial prejudice. "When that happens, you realize that you have to be even better or move to L.A. where it doesn't matter," he said with a laugh.

A choreographer for a movie Smith danced in connected him with Diana Ross's U.S. tour. And his work on the Ross tour caught Michael Jackson's attention.
He began working for the pop star first as a dancer and then as a choreographer. The match has led to 20 years of work for Smith, including one gig that impressed even him.
He was assisting a young choreographer for a Rolling Stones tour, when the choreographer backed out leaving Smith at the helm.
"They sent me a box of Stones material, and I had to cram and learn all I could," he said. So while working as assistant choreographer and dancing in Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation Tour, Smith worked as choreographer for the Stones.

He said he was "never star-struck" while on the job. But sometimes when work was over and he would be hanging out with his employers, "It would hit me. I can't believe that I'm sitting here with this person."

Smith currently is choreographing a megastar show, "Equilibrium," being staged in Chicago next year. He left Los Angeles five years ago and returned to the Louisville area, a move he made to remove himself from the expensive and partying lifestyle in L.A. He still flies to both coasts to work.

He said his goal is to become a director and call all the shots.

http://louisville.bizjournals.com/l...7/24/focus1.html?i=50551&b=1153713600^1317822

He doesn't really talk about Michael Jackson. At least I haven't found anything.

Last edited:
Found something:

Lavelle has got an interesting take on people copying, lol. I actually tend to agree, if it blatent copying and not doing anything new or creative with it.

Found something:

Lo thank you, this is what I was looking for. I think Lavelle should have a serios talk with Chris Brown.

From a very rare interview/article from Malaysia in 1996:

"He's very professional and really takes control."

"Michael is very involved in the choreography and pretty much knows what he wants. Everything we do is very structured and nothing is left to chance."

"It sometimes takes more than one week to work out the ideas for one song."

He and Travis Payne also comment on how Michael would call them to his home at the strangest hours in the middle of the night because he'd suddenly get a new idea in his head and want to rehearse :lol:. They would work up to 20 hours a day practicing and experimenting with new dance moves. "But I love it. I can't sleep too if I have an idea."

ooooh this is interesting! He does seem scary though! And I swear that I will never copy his moves!

From a very rare interview/article from Malaysia in 1996:

"He's very professional and really takes control."

"Michael is very involved in the choreography and pretty much knows what he wants. Everything we do is very structured and nothing is left to chance."

"It sometimes takes more than one week to work out the ideas for one song."

He and Travis Payne also comment on how Michael would call them to his home at the strangest hours in the middle of the night because he'd suddenly get a new idea in his head and want to rehearse :lol:. They would work up to 20 hours a day practicing and experimenting with new dance moves. "But I love it. I can't sleep too if I have an idea."

lol.. thanks, very interesting.. homeboy sleeps, drinks and eats "the dance".

But is it just me or Lavelle is a better choreographer than dancer? Look at him at the MTV Music awards '95 on the performance of "Dangerous". The part just before the "Smooth Criminal" intermission, Lavelle is dancing on Michael's right.. he seriosly looks like he can't keep up with Mike and he deosn't execute the moves properly. In fact he looks kinda chubby in this particular performance.. lol!

Lavelle gained a lot of weight over the years. But he's a good dancer. Michael just makes eveyone look bad. He makes all the other dancers on the 95 VMA's look bad too. It's only in comparison. On their own, they look good. They're all professionals.

Last edited:
Lavelle gained a lot of weight over the years. But he's a good dancer. Michael just makes eveyone look bad. He makes all the other dancers on the 95 VMA's look bad too. It's only in comparison. On their own, they look good. They're all professionals.

You reckon?.. Well yeah I guess your profesionalism will not come out if you're dancing next to Michael Joseph Jackson, right? Like you always say Nicole.. he's a freak.. lol!

Basically, lol. I mean, if you aren't watching Michael, which is hard lol, and just look at Lavelle, on the Bad or Dangerous tours, etc... He'll look good, he does a lot of steps which are indicitive of professional training, etc... But it's when you look at Michael, and then compare them doing the same steps side by side, when Lavelle or any other dancer doesn't look so hot. They look sloppy next to Michael, their lines aren't as good. And it's not because they're bad dancers or they suck, it's just because Michael is so good.

Last edited:
Yep, it's almost impossible to take your eyes off Michael when he's dancing. Everyone else just fades. It actually takes discipline to really pay attention to the other dancers, if you want to give them some attention. They are all good dancers. But Michael is outstanding.

Thanks to Tom777 from MJJLegacy.com

Tom777 : From 2 to 4 August 2008, I was supposed to take part in a London dance stage with Lavelle Smith (famous choreographer Michael and others like Destiny's child ..)

And this morning, on facebook, the person who takes charges of this event send me a message telling me the following:

URGENT MESSAGE

DUE TO LAVELLE SMITH JNR’S NEW TOURING COMMITMENTS WITH MICHAEL JACKSON

WE REGRET THAT WE HAVE NO ALTERNATIVE BUT TO CANCEL ALL LAVELLE MASTER CLASSES FOR SATURDAY 2nd SUNDAY 3rd and MONDAY 4th AUGUST 2008

Last edited:

Tom777 : From 2 to 4 August 2008, I was supposed to take part in a London dance stage with Lavelle Smith (famous choreographer Michael and others like Destiny's child ..)

And this morning, on facebook, the person who takes charges of this event send me a message telling me the following:

URGENT MESSAGE

WE REGRET THAT WE HAVE NO ALTERNATIVE BUT TO CANCEL ALL LAVELLE MASTER CLASSES FOR SATURDAY 2nd SUNDAY 3rd and MONDAY 4th AUGUST 2008

omg.png
Okay..............

I think I need to lay down...

:mello:

Uhm.. we will see? :bugeyed.. what happens? :unsure:
PSH WHAT AM I SUPPOSE TO SAY TO THAT. ?!

URGENT MESSAGE

... wait. Had we not recently a posting that Lavelle Smith was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago?

Just a coincidence?:scratch:

Back