L.A. County coroner's staff improperly viewed Michael Jackson's death certifica

MJsAngelOfMusic

Premium Member
Donations
$78.00
Los Angeles County coroner’s officials said today that they have looked into security breaches involving the investigation of Michael Jackson’s death, including hundreds of improper views of the pop star’s death certificate and the discovery of weaknesses in two other computer systems in which more sensitive records were stored.
At least a half-dozen coroner’s staff members were among those who inappropriately accessed Jackson’s death certificate, officials said today. Within two weeks of his death, the certificate had been viewed more than 300 times.
In some cases, staff members appear to have printed copies before it became a public record. Earlier this month, coroner’s officials warned employees to cease, cautioning that they had previously been admonished about the security hold on the Jackson case.
"There's only one person in the investigation of Mr. Jackson who needed to have a copy of the death certificate, and that was the investigator," said Craig Harvey, chief coroner investigator.
Harvey called any access of the Electronic Death Registration System for personal use “not appropriate.”
In a July 9 e-mail reviewed by The Times, a coroner’s captain told staff that future abuses of the system would result in disciplinary action. Staff members who had printed a copy of the death certificate were advised to destroy it.
Harvey said he learned that coroner’s employees were inappropriately accessing Jackson’s death certificate after he received a tip alleging that a funeral home employee created a fake death certificate for Jackson in the computer system.
Harvey did not uncover any fraudulent death certificate, but did discover the names of coroner's employees who had looked at the record even though they had no role in the Jackson investigation.
He said he had not contacted any law enforcement agency about the actions, saying he believed that internal rules had been broken, not any laws.
Death records in the EDRS system, which is state-supervised, can be accessed by anyone with a state-issued password, including employees at coroner’s offices, funeral homes, hospitals, and county and state registrar's offices. Users input information on death certificates that must be signed off on by doctors or coroners and made public by the state registrar.
Coroner's employees are supposed to look up cases "strictly in the performance of your official coroner duties,” according to the e-mail reviewed this month.
In addition to issues with the electronic access to Jackson’s death certificate, Harvey said that his office also had trouble securing two other computer systems in which they kept Jackson’s death investigation reports.
Investigation reports, which are not public records, typically are accessible only to investigators and other employees with office-issued passwords. Once employees log in, they can access others’ investigations — unless the reports are locked.
The investigator’s reports on Jackson's death were locked from the start, Harvey said, meaning access should have been available only to employees with the rank of captain or higher. Because of the high interest in Jackson, coroner’s officials took the added precaution of restricting access to only a few administrators. Harvey said the hard copy of the investigation was stored under lock and key.
Still, after the investigation started, they discovered vulnerabilities in the computer systems that might have allowed employees unauthorized access, Harvey said. He declined to say what those weaknesses were.
“We took extra steps to plug those holes,” he said.

--Molly Hennessy-Fiske

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...iewed-michael-jacksons-death-certificate.html

Last edited:
And they wonder why we don't trust the LAPD and people they work with.
If I were in charge, all those people would have been fired no questions asked.
I also would have brought charges against them if the law allows it.

WTF? Has that been dealt with in a scarily relaxed way or is it just me?!

^^ It's not just you.
They just told them not to do it again. And if you keep reading, the same people kept looking at it.
It's like telling a child to stop eating candy on Halloween without putting the candy out of reach.

WThell is wrong with people???

Do they have do dignity?? What the hell are they going to do with a copy of his death certificate?...OH I KNOW!! sell the b*tch...to the highest bidder!!!

they have No HONOR, NO HONOR!!

I can't take this...EVERYTHING is a mess!!

The LAPD make me so angry and people wonder why some fans don't trust what is happening right now! Would a corrupt police at LAPD not be a story the media could sell? Its bad news after all.

If the outcome is not what the Jackson's agree with, can they contest it with anyone else in America. Like over here you can take it to the The High Court of Justice and Court of Appeal in London. What do the USA have?

Why am I not shocked? Do these people have any morals at all? I mean come on.....no wonder we can't get any kind of real information....Everyone wants a piece of the pie, something to say to the media

its obvious to me at least that these employees were looking at his death certificate in the hope of spotting the cause of death so they could go ahead and share the news with TMZ or any of those other unscrupulous blogs, news stations.

they'd get the scoop, the employee would get a bumper payday.

sad.

Here's a pic of his Death Certificate, I think.

**deleted**

First of all I mean you no disrespect but....why would you post this?. maybe people really didn't want to view Michael's death certificate. Does this make us any better than them. This is all just to sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course they viewed it. It aint right but sure they did. I knew their were leaks when we got those earlier reports of the condition of his body. I knew not to be so quick as to discount the rumor. I am surprised and thanksful that the leaks haven't been more.

First of all I mean you no disrespect but....why would you post this?. maybe people really didn't want to view Michael's death certificate. Does this make us any better than them. This is all just to sad.

I feel dirty having now seen this :( Where's the sick bag?

It just sick how nobody seem to care about doing the right thing. I'm not suprised and this why you can't trust the "authorities".

So pathetic. and why would you post his certificate here? I mean really! How sad, sick and pathetic are human being.

The LAPD and those affiliated with the investigation have made heaps of money from sites like TMZ by illegally selling confidential information (including his death certificate), I think that's been well established.

In my opinion they have failed in every step of this investigation and handling of the case, but that does not surprise me. I don't know if that was substantiated or not but there was also talks that LA was going to sell copies of his death certificate to fans for $10-12 each to try and repay the memorial costs :rolleyes:.

The LAPD and those affiliated with the investigation have made heaps of money from sites like TMZ by illegally selling confidential information (including his death certificate), I think that's been well established.

In my opinion they have failed in every step of this investigation and handling of the case, but that does not surprise me. I don't know if that was substantiated or not but there was also talks that LA was going to sell copies of his death certificate to fans for $10-12 each to try and repay the memorial costs :rolleyes:.

No way! I hope to god that isn't true.

::sigh:: Human nature, sad as it is. I remember when Britney was in the hospital - people got fired over accessing her records. Of course, that's because of HIPAA. Any time anything involves a celebrity, people do this. Fortunately, the death certificate really did not reveal anything. Good that they are putting more locks on the information and more precautions are taken.

I wish things like this didn't happen, and I don't think I'd ever do that. But be real people. I'd bet a ton of money that there are some fans who would look if they worked there. It is what it is.

indeed! soemtimes this forum is as bad as the tabloids, why does everyone feel the need to post all this crap?

No way! I hope to god that isn't true.

Actually, I believe it is/was true according to a spokesperson of the LA public health division. Here's the original article :closedeyes:

Fans Offered Jackson Death Certificate For $12

July 8, 2009

Michael Jackson fans are being the offered the chance to get their hands on a copy of his death certificate - for just $12 a go.

Officials in Los Angeles made the documents available for purchase just hours after his funeral and memorial service were watched by millions worldwide.

In an email to Sky News Online, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health said: "The redacted death certificate is now available for purchase from the Department of Public Health.

"If you would care to purchase one, feel free to send someone to the Vital Records Office-Room L-1 at the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, 313 North Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012.

"They cost $12."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sh...e_Offered_For_$12_By_Officials_In_Los_Angeles

*sigh*

thanks for sharing and all but no, the death certificate ... no, if yall want to see it get the link from michaeljackson4ever in a PM or email. Hell, buy it from the hall of records if that is what you want.

I'm sorry but how is that well established? I don't see hard evidence of that. I'm not saying the investigation has been going top notch, but I don't see how they made money by selling info to tabloids.

everything that's been happening in the last few weeks Michael's sudden death, the media exploitation, the circus, that clown of a doctor, the manslaughter charges, now his death certificate being sold on the net, everything is so bad it's like I'm watching a parody on MJ's life it doesn't even seem real...somebody wake me up this is not funny anymore :cry:

Actually, I believe it is/was true according to a spokesperson of the LA public health division. Here's the original article

Fans Offered Jackson Death Certificate For $12

July 8, 2009

Michael Jackson fans are being the offered the chance to get their hands on a copy of his death certificate - for just $12 a go.

Officials in Los Angeles made the documents available for purchase just hours after his funeral and memorial service were watched by millions worldwide.

In an email to Sky News Online, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health said: "The redacted death certificate is now available for purchase from the Department of Public Health.

"If you would care to purchase one, feel free to send someone to the Vital Records Office-Room L-1 at the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, 313 North Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012.

"They cost $12."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sho...In_Los_Angeles

Yeah, but I think they were only offering information. Once it is in the public record, it's available. And you can probably get anyone's death certificate for 12 dollars if you wanted to. I know that's the fee here for Vital Records to get copies of birth certificates. Never needed a death certificate copy, so I don't know what the cost is, but likely the same.

Besides the fact that this makes me very angry, having worked in the medical field, again my first reaction is..... what about HIPAA. I seem to be asking about it a LOT lately pertaining to Michael. Do they think for some reason because it's him that it doesn't count or something?? I'd have to see how it works but even if the patient has died I believe people can't just go accessing his medical records. WTH.... Everyone who accessed it inappropriately should be fired for violating privacy laws!

Poor Michael can't even have any privacy after he dies.

The thing is that the records are out there now.

Its a matter of time when they are going to be published by (tabloid) media!

I dont think it was an accident!

Back