King of Pop before MJ?

*Little Suzie*

Proud Member
Was there a male artist who was called The King Of Pop before Michael was? xP

Don't think so.

But if I could give that title to anyone before Michael, I would give it to Frankie Lymon.

Was there a male artist who was called The King Of Pop before Michael was? xP

Nope!

Michael is the only "King Of Pop".

The Godfather of Soul James Brown
The Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin
The King of Rock of Roll Elvis
The King of Pop Michael Jackson
The Queen of Pop Madonna
The Queen of R&B ???????

So the other way around?

When Whitney came out in the late 80's, She was an automatic cross over hit with the White audiance. Clive Davis made it a point to see to that.......... Once an artist crosses over to the White audiance here in America, you are a Pop artist.

Janet had two albums that flopped before Control came out.

I can't think of anybody who could have been called "King of Pop" before MJ. MJ simply reshaped pop music like nobody before him.

Also I don't think the "King of Pop" title is something that one performer should inherit after another. Like Elvis is the "King of Rock'n'Roll", like James Brown is the "Godfather of Soul", MJ is the "King of Pop", period.

I think Michael is the first artist to have crossover appeal in a major way by the mass media. Little Richard, Frankie Lymon, Jackie Wilson and even James Brown didn't have that type of appeal that he had. A lot of their fans hid the fact that they listened to their music. Elvis Presely and Frank Sinatra before him were probably the biggest stars during their time. They too did not have the cross over appeal like Michael. For that reason alone Michael is the King Of Pop.

oh~~i don't think so...
there haven't king of pop before michael
and there will not be another
King of Pop just for Michael , forever~~~~~
Queen of Pop made me so confused...
anyway, i love michael forever=]

RIP Michael

I really, really hate the term "king of pop". Michael is so much more than one specific genre (i.e. pop). He is the king of entertainment, or the king of music. That suits him better.

As for R&B. I think Whitney Houston is waaaaay more R&B than Janet but it doesn't matter. Mary J Blige is the Queen of R&B/Hip-Hop.

I really, really hate the term "king of pop". Michael is so much more than one specific genre (i.e. pop). He is the king of entertainment, or the king of music. That suits him better.

I agree with this. Michael sang R&B, Rock, Pop, Soul. And according to Janet, he even wrote classical music.

And I'm going to say it again. And I'll keep saying it until a whole generation starts to question things...

CHUCK BERRY IS THE KING OF ROCK AND ROLL!

:lol:

MJB is usually referred to as the Queen of Hip Hop Soul. As for King of Pop, although I feel it's wayy to limiting, I think it should be retired and hung in the rafters like basketball jerseys! there will never be another!

MJB is usually referred to as the Queen of Hip Hop Soul. As for King of Pop, although I feel it's wayy to limiting, I think it should be retired and hung in the rafters like basketball jerseys! there will never be another!

I totally agree with you. MJ should get lifetime achievement award.

Titles are really stupid and have nothing to do with music. Elvis himself hated the "King Of Rock n Roll" title. Although I did like James Brown's "Minister Of The Super Super Heavy Funk", lol.

There is no other King Of Pop, but MJ. That's the name the fans gave to him, they haven't called anyone else in the past the King Of Pop, I believe.

There was no King of Pop before Michael! He created this nickname!
At first, medias started to call him "The King" like they did with Elvis, but Michael preferred to be called "King... of Pop".

Only King Of Rock'n Roll, Elvis Presley and King Of Funk James Brown:)

Right after MJ got his title (by the fans) as The King Of Pop, Madonna was named Queen Of Pop.

I want my MTV:)

Back